PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Heat October 11: Wade, Quinn sidelined for ailing Heat

duncan228
10-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Wade, Quinn sidelined for ailing Heat (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-wade-s101009,0,5331552.story)
By Harvey Fialkov
South Florida Sun Sentinel

MIAMI - Rather than jeopardizing his playing status for the upcoming regular season, Heat guard Dwyane Wade sat out practice Saturday and will miss Sunday night's preseason home opener against the retooled San Antonio Spurs with a strained muscle in his left rib cage.

An MRI test taken Friday revealed no major damage but Wade is listed as day to day with a left intercostal strain. Wade said if it were a regular-season game he'd probably give it a go, but would rather err on the side of caution with five preseason games remaining.

"It's preseason. It just felt weird. It's a precaution and not overly serious," said Wade, who felt discomfort in the third quarter of Wednesday's 90-86 loss to the Magic. "We got a long season ahead of us so I'm not trying to be a hero right now."

The backcourt was dealt a more serious blow when point guard Chris Quinn sustained a sprained right foot while diving for a loose ball during Friday's practice. Forward Michael Beasley fell on the foot. Quinn's foot will be in a protective boot for at least a week.

Heat coach Eric Spoelstra said that shooting guard Daequan Cook can handle secondary ballhandling duties once he gets used to the splint on his sprained right thumb, and should be available Sunday. But the lack of backcourt depth gives former Rockets guard John Lucas (non-guaranteed contract) a huge opportunity to earn a spot on the roster with just him and Mario Chalmers the only healthy point guards available.

"John did some different things in practice today," Spoelstra said. "I tried to speed it up on his team to see if he'd be more effective and he was. The second unit was playing with a lot of energy."

In addition to Wade and Quinn, center Jermaine O'Neal sat out practice again with a bruised left foot. He has missed five of the 11 days the Heat has worked this preseason. O'Neal will work out before Sunday's game and will play if he feels up to it. Backup guard Quentin Richardson is also nursing a sore left ankle.

"It depends on how you look at it," Spoelstra said about the injury bug. "Nothing's very serious so that part is OK. I got some work for the other guys, which is good.

"The most serious injury right now is Quinny. He'll be in a boot for about a week and knock on wood, it's nothing really very serious at this point."

Spoelstra said he would discuss the possibility of signing a free-agent point guard with team president Pat Riley.

duncan228
10-10-2009, 05:24 PM
O'Neal too.

Wade (ribs), O'Neal (foot) ailing (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4548655)

MIAMI -- Reigning NBA scoring champion Dwyane Wade is expected to miss Miami's preseason game against San Antonio with a strained muscle around his left ribs.

The Heat also will be without center Jermaine O'Neal for Sunday night's game. He has a sore left foot.

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said on Saturday that the team will proceed cautiously with Wade.

Injuries are piling up for Miami, with backup point guard Chris Quinn to be sidelined for about a week. He injured his right foot when he got tangled up with Michael Beasley going for a loose ball in practice. Quentin Richardson has an aching left ankle and Daequan Cook has pain in his right thumb.

Samr
10-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Manu as well.

From his twitter:

I won't be at the game tmrw. Just wanted to let u know. Had to stay in SA working out

toki9
10-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Manu as well.

From his twitter:

And Mason and Hill and Duncan.

spurs10
10-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Anyone know of any ways to view the game?

duncan228
10-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Sunday's exhibition: Spurs at Heat (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-spurs-box-s101109,0,239349.story)
By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun Sentinel

When/Where: 6 p.m., AmericanAirlines Arena.

TV -- None. Radio -- WINZ (940-AM), WQBA (1140-AM, Spanish)

Scouting report: The Heat enters 0-2 in the preseason. This the first of its two home exhibitions, with an Oct. 21 game against the visiting Grizzlies to follow… This also is the third exhibition for the Spurs who lost to Houston and then Friday defeated Greek League power Olympiakos… The Spurs added Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess and Theo Ratliff in the offseason…Guards Dwyane Wade (rib), Chris Quinn (foot) and Quentin Richardson (ankle) are out for the Heat. Teammates Jermaine O'Neal (foot) and Daequan Cook (thumb) are questionable.

DMX7
10-11-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm going to sit out as well.

angelbelow
10-11-2009, 03:03 AM
And Mason and Hill and Duncan.

If that's true I hope they give the young guys all the burn.

toki9
10-11-2009, 03:13 AM
If that's true I hope they give the young guys all the burn.

Actually, i think it'll be just Manu and Duncan who'll be held out. I misread an earlier report. Sorry about that.

raspsa
10-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Its tough running a training camp with key players ailing.. the Spurs are fortunate to have everyone healthy.

duncan228
10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Duncan, Ginobili don't travel for Heat-Spurs exhibition (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-spurs-injuries-s101109,0,7744891.story)
By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

MIAMI - The Miami Heat's Sunday exhibition against the San Antonio Spurs at AmericanAirlines Arena has moved further into the why-bother category.

Not only will Dwyane Wade, Chris Quinn and Quentin Richardson be out for the Heat, with teammates Jermaine O'Neal, Daequan Cook and Dorell Wright possibly to sit, as well, but the Spurs did not even travel center Tim Duncan and guard Manu Ginobili for the 6 p.m. game.

Duncan, who will play this season in a knee brace, is being brought along slowly in the preseason, with this the second exhibition he is sitting out.

Ginobili, who is coming off last season's ankle injury, had appeared in the Spurs' first two exhibitions, a loss to the Houston Rockets and a victory over visiting Greek League powerhouse Olympiakos.

DPG21920
10-11-2009, 12:43 PM
So much for Manu getting the minutes he wants.

NoOptionB
10-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Don't worry.

Blair will play the 2.

ohmwrecker
10-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Sounds like Pop might be making a cut pretty soon.