PDA

View Full Version : FDA Ban On Ephedra Struck Down

desflood
04-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Judge Strikes Down FDA Ban on Ephedra

20 minutes ago Health - AP

By MARK THIESSEN, Associated Press Writer

SALT LAKE CITY - A federal judge Thursday struck down the FDA ban on ephedra, the once-popular weight-loss aid that was yanked from the market after it was linked to dozens of deaths.

The judge ruled in favor of a Utah company that challenged the Food and Drug Administration's ban. Utah-based Nutraceutical claimed in its lawsuit that ephedra "has been safely consumed" for hundreds of years.

Supplements that included ephedra have been widely used for weight loss and bodybuilding, but have linked to 155 deaths, including that of Baltimore Orioles pitching prospect Steve Bechler. The FDA ordered the substance off the market in April 2004.

Judge Tena Campbell's ruling sends the matter back to the FDA "for further rulemaking consistent with the court's opinion" and keeps the agency from enforcement action against the companies.

FDA officials did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Company president Bruce Hough said the decision is about "protecting the public's access to safe and effective dietary supplements."

bigzak25
04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
so when can i order this! i don't think ephedra is that bad.

you have to have something in your stomach, and be hydrated, and rest when you need it and don't take more than recomended dosage and all is well....the pseudo ephedra crap sucks.

tlongII
04-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Can you make meth with it?

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Bringing back legal speed!

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
What 55?

SpursWoman
04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that pitcher that died was exercising excessively and hadn't eaten in several days.

Granted, ephedra makes you not hungry...but I've never heard of it making you stupid. Most of the cases I've heard that someone died from it was because they didn't take as directed....and usually took too much for too long.

desflood
04-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Many who took it had heart problems and ignored the obvious warnings not to.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Dude, the way I see it, if you're stuipd enough to get yourself killed on ephedra, it's just weeding out the gene pool.

exstatic
04-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Dude, the way I see it, if you're stuipd enough to get yourself killed on [any drug], it's just weeding out the gene pool.

T Park
04-14-2005, 06:46 PM
agree.

Read the directions.

Follow the directions.

How the fuck tough is that???

Once again, more morons getting stuff banned that was harmless.

But, good to see this court wising up.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-14-2005, 08:04 PM
The problem is that some folks don't know they have a heart condition until it's too late.

I don't know how in favor of this I am. I know ephedra works, but it does have it's dangerous side too.

SpursWoman
04-14-2005, 08:12 PM
That's true of everything, though....

Did you know taking too much Tylenol can destroy your liver?

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Did you know you can die from water posioning?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-14-2005, 09:19 PM
I guess that's true guys, but I can tell you from experience that it has weird effects on some people.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I did some promotional work for a vitamin supplement company a few years back and used their ephedra products for only two weeks before the promotions started. The ephedra would cause me to be short of breath and would raise my heart rate to max workout levels way too early. At that time I was in peak shape, too, only about 7 percent body fat. I used only the recommended dose and only took it, like I said, for a couple of weeks.

I don't have heart problems, was in top shape, and didn't abuse it, but I can tell you it wasn't good for me.

Jekka
04-14-2005, 10:56 PM
That's true of everything, though....

Did you know taking too much Tylenol can destroy your liver?

It's also a strong blood thinner when you take too much. I found that out a couple years ago when I was taking a bunch everyday for tension headaches and I started getting really scary gross bruises everywhere. I went to the doctor because I didn't know what was going on, and my blood panel came out okay - it was just taking too much Tylenol that did it.

Shelly
04-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I guess that's true guys, but I can tell you from experience that it has weird effects on some people.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I did some promotional work for a vitamin supplement company a few years back and used their ephedra products for only two weeks before the promotions started. The ephedra would cause me to be short of breath and would raise my heart rate to max workout levels way too early. At that time I was in peak shape, too, only about 7 percent body fat. I used only the recommended dose and only took it, like I said, for a couple of weeks.

I don't have heart problems, was in top shape, and didn't abuse it, but I can tell you it wasn't good for me.

Dang~ 7%?

I used to be in great shape too--damn kids! :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Dang~ 7%?

I used to be in great shape too--damn kids! :lol

That was in 2001. Whenever I'd go below that I'd feel like crap. I'm certainly not 7% right now, but I've got a summer makeover goal to get back to where I used to be or better.

But I understand the kids thing. Your focus suddenly shifts to your little ones. Sometimes being a dad can be tough for a narcisist like myself!! :lol