PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Replacing Bowen's defense: A gang approach

duncan228
10-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Replacing Bowen's defense: A gang approach (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Replacing_Bowens_defense_A_gang_approach.html)
Mike Monroe

MIAMI — The Spurs hit the road for the first time Saturday, flying to South Florida seeking an answer to one of the major questions of the preseason: With Bruce Bowen gone, who fills the defensive stopper role against a premier scorer such as the Heat's Dwyane Wade?

Richard Jefferson, the wing man the Spurs acquired in the trade that sent Bowen off the roster, has an easy answer.

“That's unrealistic,” he said. “That's like asking someone to fill David Robinson's role, or Tim Duncan's role. (Bruce) was one of the best perimeter defenders in the history of this league.”

The transition to a post-Bowen defense began last season, when the eight-time All-Defensive Team selection's ability to lock down the league's great scorers began to erode. Bowen slipped out of the starting lineup. His minutes dwindled to fewer than 19 per game, an all-time low for his eight seasons with the Spurs.

Now, Jefferson will be part of a gang approach to defending players such as Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Wade, who is likely to miss today's game with a strained rib muscle. So will Manu Ginobili, George Hill, Roger Mason Jr. and Keith Bogans.

“Bruce was the best at making those kinds of guys uncomfortable, but those guys you have to guard as a team,” Ginobili said, “so we're going to have to play better team defense than the last two years.

“We all have to step up defensively.”

Jefferson understands that Spurs fans valued Bowen's defensive prowess and expect him to play up to a nearly impossible standard.

“I'm the (small forward) who's here to replace Bruce Bowen, so I have to do what I can to get better defensively,” he said. “Mentally, I haven't been as good defensively as I'd like the last few seasons. Now, here I am in the situation where they're looking for that from me.”

The Nets and Bucks, Jefferson's previous teams, needed more scoring from him than do the Spurs, whose offense is built around Duncan and Tony Parker.

“Here, it's: ‘Richard, we just need you to knock down open shots and defend other people,'” he said.

Bogans, the 6-foot-5 guard who split the 2008-09 season between Orlando and Milwaukee, was signed to a free agent contract a week before training camp began strictly for his skill as a tough perimeter defender.

He joins the Spurs at roughly the same point in his career as did Bowen, who was signed at age 30 after five NBA seasons with three teams.

Bogans, 29, has played six seasons in the NBA for four teams.

“His skill is defense, like Matt Bonner's is shooting threes,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “That's where we want him to concentrate and focus.”

Wade is one of the NBA's most explosive scorers and was the league's scoring leader last season at 30.2 points per game. If a player like Wade gets on a scoring run and Popovich needs a defender to slow his roll, Bogans knows where he can find one.

“That's going to be me,” he said. “I just try to play him tough, every possession. Great players in this league are going to make shots. My main thing is to stay in front of him, stay with our team principles and see what happens from there.”

Staying home: Still watching the wear and tear on his veteran players, Popovich opted to leave Duncan and Ginobili in San Antonio. Ginobili played in the Spurs' first two preseason games, against Houston and the Greek team Olympiacos Piraeus, at the AT&T Center. Duncan made his preseason debut Friday night against Olympiacos.

My Fault
10-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Bowen will be missed no doubt...

jdev82
10-11-2009, 12:08 AM
really like jeffersons comments. he knows what the spurs want, and he seems to be, off the court at least, a perfect spur. well conducted, very nice guy. the compliments to bruce won him some points with this spurs fan.

TDMVPDPOY
10-11-2009, 12:10 AM
oops

SenorSpur
10-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Not that any one player could ever replicate what Bowen did on the defensive end, but its unfortunate that the Spurs were not successful in identifying and grooming a younger player that could potentially transition into the role of a defensive stopper - with Bruce serving as a mentor of sorts.

Blackjack
10-11-2009, 12:51 AM
“That's unrealistic,” he said. “That's like asking someone to fill David Robinson's role, or Tim Duncan's role. (Bruce) was one of the best perimeter defenders in the history of this league.”

So true.. :depressed

The transition to a post-Bowen defense began last season, when the eight-time All-Defensive Team selection's ability to lock down the league's great scorers began to erode. Bowen slipped out of the starting lineup.

Really?

Because I seem to remember him still being the best perimeter defender on the team, by a pretty wide margin, and still among a handful of the best the NBA had to offer.

Granted, he lost a couple of miles off his fast ball and probably couldn't sustain the effectiveness over the duration of a season/game like he used to. But that's not why he saw his minutes vanish and his spot all but lost.

That was simply a ramification of Pop's quest to manufacture offense; not defensive ineptitude.

Bogans, 29, has played six seasons in the NBA for four teams.

“His skill is defense, like Matt Bonner's is shooting threes,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “That's where we want him to concentrate and focus.”

Well, it sure seems like Bogans' spot on the roster is pretty secure.

He's saying all the right things and he is a pretty solid defender -- I've got absolutely no problem with him and don't hate his acquisition -- but it sure seems like it's going to be at the expense of Hairston.

With the Spurs making known their plans for RJ defensively, the coaches raving about what Hill can do on that end, and the late addition of a guy like Bogans it sure doesn't look too promising for Malik.

Williams, despite the less than stellar reviews, might just make this roster solely on a potential to bring a game he's yet to prove he can make translate at the NBA level...

Spurs Brazil
10-11-2009, 08:21 AM
I think in the regular season we'll see Hill guarding Wade

SenorSpur
10-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Because I seem to remember him still being the best perimeter defender on the team, by a pretty wide margin, and still among a handful of the best the NBA had to offer.

Granted, he lost a couple of miles off his fast ball and probably couldn't sustain the effectiveness over the duration of a season/game like he used to. But that's not why he saw his minutes vanish and his spot all but lost.

That was simply a ramification of Pop's quest to manufacture offense; not defensive ineptitude.

Couldn't agree more. I'll take that a step further. The fact is the defensive ineptitude we witnesses was demonstrated more by those which Pop assigned to take up Bowen's minutes. Once the playoffs started, it was shockingly clear that Bowen was clearly the Spurs' best wing player on the floor - on both ends, on most nights.

Well, it sure seems like Bogans' spot on the roster is pretty secure.

He's saying all the right things and he is a pretty solid defender -- I've got absolutely no problem with him and don't hate his acquisition -- but it sure seems like it's going to be at the expense of Hairston.
It better not be.

With the Spurs making known their plans for RJ defensively, the coaches raving about what Hill can do on that end, and the late addition of a guy like Bogans it sure doesn't look too promising for Malik.
I actually think they are higher on Malik than they're letting on. We all saw the job Hairston did, in spot minutes, against the likes of Kobe and Lebron. He definitely took on the challenge and held his own in limited minutes. So there is definitely promise there.

Still, it's clear that Pop is extremely high on Hill's defensive capabilities. My only problem with Hill is that he's extremely short to be matched up against taller, more physical offensive players.

Blackjack
10-11-2009, 12:57 PM
I actually think they are higher on Malik than they're letting on. We all saw the job Hairston did, in spot minutes, against the likes of Kobe and Lebron. He definitely took on the challenge and held his own in limited minutes. So there is definitely promise there.

Still, it's clear that Pop is extremely high on Hill's defensive capabilities. My only problem with Hill is that he's extremely short to be matched up against taller, more physical offensive players.

I know they like Malik but with RJ, Hill, and the seeming plans they have for Bogans, the opportunity for minutes doesn't look too promising.

Pop, I think, has all the talent he wants and is more so looking for low-mistake, know-what-you're-going-to-get role-players to surround it.

Which is why someone like Bogans would be a blow to Hairston's chances and, at the same time, be beneficial to a guy like Williams; someone who isn't competing for the same role and brings a potential skill set the Spurs don't have a duplicate.

I still remain firmly in Hairston's corner, I'm just trying to look at it through the Spurs' eyes.

Muser
10-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't see any reason why the Spurs wouldn't keep Hairston, he's proved over and over he deserves the chance.

lurker23
10-11-2009, 01:13 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the Spurs do with the inactive list- whether it's fairly stagnant or whether it changes based on needs.

On any given night, I expect the 3 inactives to be 1-2 bigmen and 1-2 swingmen. The key candidates at this point are: Hairston and Bogans among the swingmen and Mahinmi and Haislip among the bigmen. Veterans such as Finley and Ratliff could be thrown into the mix if they get outplayed by the younger guys, but that seems unlikely, at least early in the season.

So, to start the season, my best guess would be Hairston, Mahinmi, and Haislip on the inactive list. But will Pop activate Mahinmi and Haislip against teams with multiple good bigmen? Will he activate both Hairston and Bogans against teams with high scoring shooting guards or small forwards? Of course, much of this may be determined by injuries, but when completely healthy it will be interesting to see the approach.

SenorSpur
10-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I know they like Malik but with RJ, Hill, and the seeming plans they have for Bogans, the opportunity for minutes doesn't look too promising.

Pop, I think, has all the talent he wants and is more so looking for low-mistake, know-what-you're-going-to-get role-players to surround it.

Which is why someone like Bogans would be a blow to Hairston's chances and, at the same time, be beneficial to a guy like Williams; someone who isn't competing for the same role and brings a potential skill set the Spurs don't have a duplicate.

I still remain firmly in Hairston's corner, I'm just trying to look at it through the Spurs' eyes.

I see your point. I hope Pop and brass feel there's a place for Malik here.