PDA

View Full Version : The Draft

benjirh
04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
I know its not even playoffs yet, but with all the college and HS kids starting to decare this year, I started thinking about it and the draft is starting to look like it may be a pretty deep one. Was wondering who (or what position) people would like to see the Spurs pick up this year. I think we should look for a big 2 or a solid 3. It is our weakest position other than center and you don't usually find quality big men with the 29th pick.

My top four would be:

Fransisco Garcia - Could drop depending on the # of early entrants
CJ Miles - if there is ever a time to draft a HSer this is the year. 2 deep at every position
Ryan Gomes - good size for the 3
Jawad Williams - smart player from what I have seen and read

Mr. Body
04-14-2005, 03:00 PM
I was high on Garcia during the tournament, until he turned in that stinker of a Final Four game. He could have the making of a pretty versatile SF.

ImDaShitYaAll
04-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Garcia will get drafted higher than that....

texbumTHElife
04-14-2005, 03:06 PM
I have been really high on Jawad Williams for a while but I think he could slip out of the draft. he is too inconsistent.

I think Lawrence Roberts from MSU could be a real possibility at #29. I dont know if he has the jump shot to give us what we need at the 3 though. We all know its going to be another Euro we have never heard of though.

exstatic
04-14-2005, 03:14 PM
We all know its going to be another Euro we have never heard of though.

Not neccesarily. The days of saving capspace are over, since the Spurs won't have any for a decade. A late first round pick doesn't even make 1 million.

CHAMPS AGAIN
04-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Nba Forum

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 03:30 PM
do we even HAVE a first round pick this year? I thought it went to New York in the Malik trade...

Mr. Body
04-14-2005, 03:33 PM
We traded away our Phoenix pick, acquired from the Barbosa trade.

whottt
04-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Will the political opportunism never end? W has already promised that there will be no draft! Find something else to complain about!

mookie2001
04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
cj miles will be a texas longhorn

benjirh
04-14-2005, 04:52 PM
Nba Forum

Why does this have to be in the NBA Forum? I am not talking about the #1 pick overall, I am talking about who the spurs should look at taking? To me that is Spurs related.

benjirh
04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Garcia will get drafted higher than that....

Right now he is being projected in the 20's. If a couple of other guys come out, he could drop some more. Not saying he will be at 29, but if he is there I think he could be a good fit for the Spurs.

ImDaShitYaAll
04-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Right now he is being projected in the 20's. If a couple of other guys come out, he could drop some more. Not saying he will be at 29, but if he is there I think he could be a good fit for the Spurs.

i doubt the Spurs willget someone that good....

RobinsontoDuncan
04-14-2005, 05:05 PM
I like the Spurs approach to drafting player they can stash away in Europe, at least until the NBDL becomes a farm team this will be an effective measure for growing prospects unstead of having hit or miss options

benjirh
04-14-2005, 05:13 PM
i doubt the Spurs willget someone that good....

I would be surpised to, that is why I am more optimistic about Gomes or Williams

jalbre6
04-14-2005, 05:31 PM
I would think that a young three with defensive skills should be a high priority. Ryan Gomes from Providence is a stud, a first team All-American. If he's not around that late, what about NC State's Julius Hodge?