PDA

View Full Version : Rasheed: Celtics Can Surpass 72 Wins

duncan228
10-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Rasheed: Celtics Can Surpass 72 Wins

Rasheed Wallace believes that this season's edition of the Celtics could go down in history as the best team ever.

"I think we can get that Bulls record," Wallace told Connecticut News on Friday, referring to the 72-10 mark that Chicago posted during the 1995-96 season.

Celtics 2009-10: One of the Greatest Teams Ever? (http://blog.ctnews.com/halzack/2009/10/11/celtics-2009-10-one-of-the-greatest-teams-ever/)
by Thomas Halzack

They are not taking aim at Kobe Bryant and the Lakers. Some Celtics have bigger things in mind like…Michael Jordan’s best Bulls teams. Their coach is aiming at the best defense ever.

Wyc Grousbeck revealed in a video interview on Media Day with Gary Tanguay, that Kevin Garnett told Rasheed Wallace that this team could be one of the greatest ever with him coming (and if things break right).

That was then. Friday night Rasheed Wallace dropped this bomb -”I think we can get that Bulls record.”

One of the greatest ever?

Glen Davis -” We can.”

shhhhh.

Put your ear to the ground. Listen. Quietly.

You’re thinking, ‘I don’t hear a darn thing.’

You might not. Most people aren’t hearing anything….yet. But in just a few weeks, you will. You won’t be able to miss it.

The Sound of Rolling Thunder

It will be low and soft at first. You won’t know quite what you’re hearing. It will be a distinct low, constant rumble. Like a rising tide in a storm, the decibels will gradually increase as October 27th draws closer.

Paul Bunyan-esque, wait, make that… a John Henry pile driven freight train is starting to roll down the tracks.

The wind will pick up. Slowly at first, then gradually shaking doors, rattling windows and opening eyes as people look out to see what under God’s heaven is causing all the commotion.

That sound is the Boston Celtic basketball team, regrouping… make that massing for an all out assault…after reloading. But they are not simply getting ready for a season. They feel they are getting ready for The Season. A ‘Remember THAT team?’ season.

They were ‘69 wins fierce’ last year. They led the Eastern Conference Finals representatives, the Magic, 3–2 before falling in 7 games. They did it even with their fuel injection clogged a bit and a couple of cylinders out. It was a tremendous year by most any standard. Everyone knew that repeating would require divine providence without Garnett. Other Celtics strained to make up for lost power.

People forgot that the Celtics have a few other proud warriors. They were a team that refused to accept excuses and reasons to fold up and go play golf early. Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Kendrick Perkins, Glen Davis, and some little guy named Rajon Rondo wanted to keep playing. Outnumbered and outflanked, like Custer, they died with their boots on.

The Celtic engine, that is Kevin Garnett, has been surgically repaired. It just needs to be broken in, tuned. But a diabolical head mechanic and his mad scientist coach have tricked out the train with even more massive horsepower for a return season. Truly, it was the players themselves that convinced Wallace to throw in with them.

Doc, before the Knicks preseason game, was asked about getting Rasheed to commit.

Doc Rivers called it his ‘begging tour’…..

“I said, Rasheed, please come.”
(Rasheed walks by at that moment and mockingly says, ‘Hell no.’ – laughter)

“We really believe that if we allowed him to get on that flight and to go to San Antonio and to Orlando, it’d be very tough to go to both of those states (and have him consider cold winters in Boston). We thought we had to make a great imprint in his mind about being a Celtic and how important it is and I thought we did that. Kevin, Ray and Paul did that. And I thought it meant a lot to him to walk into a room and all those guys are sitting there. He didn’t know that (they would all be there).”

What did they sell him on?

‘Winning, playing together, being a team, no egos.”
Doc mugs, looks around, and with a devilish smile adds quietly, ‘hope it was true.’ (Laughter all around)

With recent comments from Doc about personal agendas last season possibly affecting team focus, we got the joke. This season, this team apparently is not joking.

Some on that train, the Boston Celtic Express, some key players themselves, think it not only could win the race, but that the team could set a new course record in doing so.

The depth of Celtic belief in themselves started to be revealed in that Media Day interview with Celtic owner Wyc Grousbeck. He revealed one interesting thing about that private meeting with Rasheed. Wyc said that Kevin Garnett told Rasheed that if he came to the Celtics they could ‘be one of the greatest teams ever.’ That is correct. One of the greatest teams…ever.

A throw away line? Maybe. Until Doc goes on NBATV and says that he wants this Celtic team ‘to be in the conversation’ as one of the…. greatest defensive teams in NBA history. No wait. Make that in sports history. And he said he was serious.

So a season’s quest to reclaim a lost title just became more than that. It is a quest for a special place in sports history. Not just the basketball and not just the NBA. Doc Rivers said that they want to be considered as the 1985 Chicago Bears are for football, as the greatest defensive team (in Doc’s opinion)…ever. Or are at least in that conversation.

For the record, the Chicago Bears that year set a few Super Bowl records. Wiki….

“The Bears set Super Bowl records for sacks (7) and fewest rushing yards allowed (7). The Bears’ 36-point margin over the Patriots was a Super Bowl record until Super Bowl XXIV (45). The Patriots were held to negative yardage (-19) throughout the entire first half, and just 123 total yards in the entire game, the second lowest total in Super Bowl history.”

Doc and this team must have looked at what it accomplished last season without a bench and without Garnett and said, with Rasheed Wallace, Marquis Daniels, and Glen Davis (resigned), that the league really doesn’t know what will hit them.

The ‘greatest team ever’ statement, was that a Kevin Garnett hyperbole meant to intrigue and entice Wallace’s imagination? Or is it something actually considered attainable?

Rasheed Wallace…

Oh definitely. Definitely, playing with those three other guys, also combining that with the guys we have on the bench, I think we can definitely can. Me personally, I think we can get that Bulls record. You know we have the talent for it. We have the will for it and…I think we have the defense for it.

Do you want me to use that?

You can. Because honestly, I really do feel that. That was a good team. They had some HOFs on there, but we have a few on this team, too.

That’s a high mark to shoot for…

Definitely.

Doc has also talked about having the best defense ever like, he uses the Chicago Bears the ‘85 team, taking that kind of mentality

We want our mark to be known as a defensive team, not just high scorers.

For the record:

The 1995-6 Bulls (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1996.html) went 72-10, had the best rated offense, the best rated defense, scored 105.2 points while giving up 92.9 for a spread of 12.3 points, and beat the Seattle Supersonics 4-2 for the NBA title that year.

Is this ‘greatest team ever’ a team wide belief?

Glen Davis…

We can. With the caliber of our team, the team we have, we can do some big things here. We can do some unbelievable things. You know as far as Ray, Kevin, everybody on this is capable of starting and we just have to make sure we do what the coaches want us to do, and stick together as a team and everything will fall (into place).

The Celtics coach is shooting for best defensive team ever. Key players are shooting for best record ever. They all feel a title will follow if those things occur. Who would bet against that quinella?

So, that low deep sound you are about to hear is rolling thunder coming out of Boston. To make those kind of statements you have to be crazy, confident, or a little of both. This team’s record over the last couple of years says that the talent might be there.

Pat Riley once famously guaranteed a repeat title to keep his club focused on the prize. Maybe this is just what the team needs to remain focused over 82 games. They have so much talent they can mail it in and beat about half the teams in the NBA.

Adding a player like Rasheed Wallace gives the team 4 veteran all stars and a potential one in Rondo. With Perkins, Daniels, Davis, and House, they have a deep, formidable top nine.

Rolling thunder generated by a Celtic locomotive with a special in sports history in mind starts the season on October 27 against an arch rival with a dream of their own, the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Can this team do what Jordan, Pippin, Kukoc, Rodman, Harper, Kerr, and Longley did? Let the conversations begin.

Spursfan092120
10-11-2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/stupidity-demotivational-poster.jpg

da_suns_fan
10-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Only if his team plays hard.

Dex
10-11-2009, 02:38 PM
Only if his team plays hard.

what if the other team plays hard, too?

lil_penny
10-11-2009, 02:40 PM
what if the other team plays hard, too?

Both teams played hard

iggypop123
10-11-2009, 03:21 PM
we have our first guaransheed of the season

TheMACHINE
10-11-2009, 03:38 PM
if they beat 72 then lakers gonna get 83-0

The Franchise
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
No team in the league is good enough to go 72-10. If he wants to say stupid shit to show confidence in his team more power to him.

23LeBronJames23
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
if all their players were in their prime time then maybe i would agree with Wallace. But since they're all in their mid 30's its not gonna happen.

Spursmania
10-11-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't think any team in the league will reach 72 wins.

PM5K
10-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Winning 72 games or more is about more than just talent.

Kobe™
10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/17/20042196_e6d49ab2bc_m.jpg

j-money24
10-11-2009, 04:25 PM
if all their players were in their prime time then maybe i would agree with Wallace. But since they're all in their mid 30's its not gonna happen.

Jordan, Pippen, Rodman were all in their mid 30's.
I believe Celtics and Lakers have a good chance on breaking the Bulls record, those two teams have alot of talent.

23LeBronJames23
10-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I believe Celtics and Lakers have a good chance on breaking the Bulls record, those two teams have alot of talent.

Jordan?
Jordan is the best player of all time! and the celtics dont have jordan or someone like jordan..

When you talk about jordan dont forget that he is the best basketball player to ever play the game.

The Franchise
10-11-2009, 04:58 PM

What three players on those team equate to Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman, even in their mid 30's?

NoOptionB
10-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Both puffs hit hard.

pauls931
10-11-2009, 05:31 PM
hell, I bet LA will win at least 83 this year.

carrao45
10-11-2009, 05:36 PM
hell, I bet LA will win at least 83 this year.

67-15 Regular Season
16-6 Playoffs

67+16=83:tu

pauls931
10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
67-15 Regular Season
16-6 Playoffs

67+16=83:tu

Lawyers were invented to deal with people like you. :toast

jack sommerset
10-11-2009, 06:06 PM
That record is going down this year. Lakers have a shot too. Like always, depends on if a team can stay healthy.

Culburn369
10-11-2009, 06:19 PM
When you talk about jordan dont forget that he is the best basketball player to ever play the game.

True. But Kobe has his fourth a full year earlier than Jordan got his.

Me so horny!!!!!!!!!!!!

pauls931
10-11-2009, 06:25 PM

Me so horny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan mowed over some tough finals opponents. Jazz, Suns, Portland. He's single handledly responsible for dozens of players not getting rings.

WildcardManu
10-11-2009, 07:42 PM

Me so horny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kobe is NOT, and will never be greater than MJ.

hitmanyr2k
10-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Winning 72 games or more is about more than just talent.

Exactly. Just because you have a bunch of new vets on your roster doesn't mean you're going to suddenly run the table. There better be some chemistry there and guys better know their role and excel at that role throughout the season. And of course staying healthy is always a big factor.

NoOptionB
10-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I hope both teams go 82-0 and burn out when the post-season starts.

SouthTexasRancher
10-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Good ol' Sheed....stupid as hell yet funny as well.

TheSullyMonster
10-12-2009, 12:24 AM

You do realize they play each other, right?

Danny.Zhu
10-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Wow.

Killakobe81
10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
EVEN I dont think laker will get 72 and to be honest don t think it's wothwhile 16-0 would be better and more about winning a title than the 72 ... 2001 Lakers went 16-1 (well 15-1 becuase of 1st round change) That i the mark grea teams should strive for.

wanggi
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
No matter how many rings ColdBee can get but he's still so known as Colorado RAPIST.

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 09:40 AM
No matter how many rings ColdBee can get but he's still so known as Colorado RAPIST.

True. But, I'm still takin' those 15 rings I got. Splattered CO. balloon knot withstanding.

tee, hee.

exstatic
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
I think it would be stupid for a team built around mostly 30-somethings to even try for that mark. They'd be burnt toast by about the second round of the playoffs. What they don't realize is there are about 25 teams that have no chance for a deep playoff run, and the closer they get to that mark, the tougher the resistance becomes. Those other teams have nothing to lose and nothing to hold back for. Unless they want to be like the recent Mavs or Pistons teams to make a run at that mark, they'd better save something in the tank for a two month playoff run.

Killakobe81
10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I think it would be stupid for a team built around mostly 30-somethings to even try for that mark. They'd be burnt toast by about the second round of the playoffs. What they don't realize is there are about 25 teams that have no chance for a deep playoff run, and the closer they get to that mark, the tougher the resistance becomes. Those other teams have nothing to lose and nothing to hold back for. Unless they want to be like the recent Mavs or Pistons teams to make a run at that mark, they'd better save something in the tank for a two month playoff run.

I agree with this. Pistons and Mavs shot their wad early and to some degree so did the Cavs last year ...they just waited until the ECF to do so. HCA advantage should be first goal of the title contenders ...BUT you should not burn out your team to get it ...I think Pop does a great job with this.

The way I see it there are only 5 truly legit FINALS contenders ...I am not saying that Denver, Dallas, Portland and Utah wont be good (or potentially dangerous) ...but Only 5 teams could win their conference and the NBA Finals those teams (i just mentioned) I doubt can pull BOTH off ...Here are the real CONTENDERS for the crown ...

1. - The Lakers - defending champs so they get top slot
2. - Celts - they won it two years ago so they get the #2 spot (they are deep and they have much thug love or psedu tough guys)
3. - Magic defending Eastern champs (i don't think they are better than Spurs but they deserve it because they kept core from Finals run)
4. - Cavs (i also dont think they are better than SA in fact IF this WAS the Finals matchup I would give every matchup edge EXCEPT SF) but they made ECF and out of respect I puth them here ...
5. - Spurs Although the EC has more top teams I think SA is the biggest threat if healthy to the Lakers outside of Boston

JamStone
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Rasheed with cocky talk? You don't say.

Lol, but I don't mind it one bit. There are certain people you just can't get mad at no matter what kind of stupid shit comes out their mouths. Sheed is one of those people for me. Love the guy. Love his attitude, love his flippant cockiness, love his game. Even though I dislike several players on that Celtics team, I still can't hate on Sheed.

TheMACHINE
10-12-2009, 11:43 AM

he sure does rape the nuggets on a nightly basis.

da_suns_fan
10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Dont forget when the Bulls won 72 games they had 6 games against expansion franchises (Toronto and Vancouver).

The talent pool didnt include all of the international players 13 years ago as well. Its probably unlikely that any team will win 70+ again.

Morg1411
10-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Me so horny!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right! And just like Jordan, Kobe got to ride Shaq's coattails for his first three....oh, wait...

exstatic
10-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Dont forget when the Bulls won 72 games they had 6 games against expansion franchises (Toronto and Vancouver).

The talent pool didnt include all of the international players 13 years ago as well. Its probably unlikely that any team will win 70+ again.

I think what will keep many teams from winning 70 is the fact that to break the record, you actually need 73. After the ASG, these streaking teams start to drop a game here and a game there. The 73 mark gets away from them, they recover their common sense, and start rotating and resting guys for the playoffs and wind up somewhere around 66 or 67 wins.

I think if a team wins 70 again, it will have to start out with maybe 2-3 losses in each of the first three months, and then go on a tear with one loss each in Feb, Mar, and Apr. When you start out on the record pace, it's tough to maintain it when everyone's talking about it and interviewing you about it. OTOH, a team with 8-9 losses at the end of Jan is only on a 64-66 win pace, and no one would talk about them, other than to say they're having a strong season.

JamStone
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
There will be a team that gets 70 again. But as exstatic suggests, 73 is very improbable.

Even a great team will have trouble getting there because it not only takes the talent and coaching, but a lot of luck. The key players have to all remain relatively healthy. The team as a whole has to be motivated night in and night out for 82 games. The team has to have clutch shootings all year long to win those close 1-5 point games late in the fourth quarter. Their offense can't go into ruts basically ever. And they can't be fatigued or rested at the end of the season, meaning the head coach also has to be on board with trying to shoot for that record without compromising a more important goal of having his team in its best position to win a title in the playoffs. So, someone like Gregg Popovich would almost certainly never coach a team that would challenge 72 wins because he's far more concerned about championships and the health and readiness of his players in the post season.

The 1999-2000 Lakers probably had a chance at 70 but they went through a 9 game stretch where they lost 6 games and they dropped their last two games of the season and finished with 67. It has to start from game 1 and go throughout the season.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Every passing day makes me more relieved that clown signed with someone else.

duncan228
10-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Rasheed Wallace: Celtics can surpass Bulls' 72 wins record (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Rasheed-Wallace-Celtics-can-surpass-Bulls-72-w;_ylt=AjjVjl0p8fwsd.lflmorXR28vLYF?urn=nba,195434 )
By J.E. Skeets
Ball Don't Lie

'Tis the season for bold statements (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Cuban-Current-Mavs-better-than-06-Finals-squad?urn=nba,194858)!

In a recent interview with Tom Halzack of the Connecticut News, Celtics forward Rasheed Wallace claimed his boys in green and white could make a run at the Chicago Bulls' record of 72 regular-season wins (http://blog.ctnews.com/halzack/2009/10/11/celtics-2009-10-one-of-the-greatest-teams-ever/)set in 1995-96.

"'Oh definitely. Definitely, playing with those three other guys, also combining that with the guys we have on the bench, I think we can definitely can. Me personally, I think we can get that Bulls record. You know we have the talent for it. We have the will for it and ... I think we have the defense for it.'

[Halzack:] Do you want me to use that?

'You can. Because honestly, I really do feel that. That was a good team. They had some [Hall of Famers] on there, but we have a few on this team, too.'"

As ridiculous as this sounds, I'm not going to be the one to tell ol' 'Sheed to cut back on the crazy pills and Kool-Aid. I mean, what's he supposed to say? Something humble and realistic? Reada, please.

As Celtics Town points out (http://www.celticstown.com/sheed-says-celtics-could-challenge-bulls-record-could-they.html), the Celtics won 66 games two years ago and 62 games last year, and now they have a team that, on paper — there's that saying again (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Cuban-Current-Mavs-better-than-06-Finals-squad?urn=nba,194858)! — is better than either of those teams. Why wouldn't you set your goals high and dream big?

What's that, you say? Because it's highly unlikely the aging C's can stay healthy for an entire season ... or that they have to play talented teams like the Lakers, Cavs, Magic, Spurs, Nuggets, Blazers, Jazz, Mavs and Bulls some 20-plus times ... or that they don't have some dude named Michael Jordan ... or Scottie Pippen ... or Phil Jackson ... or ... [plugs ears] BLAH BLAH BLAH! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

'Sheed, check this out: 83-0.

Dream bigger.

TheMACHINE
10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
lol 83-0...the writer has been peeking into Spurstalk.

crc21209
10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
I don't think anyone is going to touch that Bulls record for quite some time. It has to do with WAY more than just talent. You can't have many injuries, some guys may have to play excessive minutes every game, team chemistry has to be at an all-time high, and the ball just has to bounce your way sometime. People need to stop talking about this record anyway....we all saw what happened when the Patriots went on their "undefeated" season. :lol

pauls931
10-12-2009, 09:15 PM
lol 83-0...the writer has been peeking into Spurstalk.

Quick some smartass reply that it's possible if you include the playoffs like someone did to me earlier here. :lol

bostonguy
10-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Yeah lets go for 72 wins and burn ourselves out before the playoffs get here. :rolleyes:rolleyes I have hated the Sheed signing since day 1 and now I get the luxary of watching him yap with the rest of the crew.:rolleyes

NoOptionB
10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
You do realize they play each other, right?

lmao :bang

duhoh
10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
sheed knows where to get the good weed apparently.

iggypop123
10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
cocaine is a hell of a drug

hitmanyr2k
10-13-2009, 12:15 AM
I don't think anyone is going to touch that Bulls record for quite some time. It has to do with WAY more than just talent. You can't have many injuries, some guys may have to play excessive minutes every game, team chemistry has to be at an all-time high, and the ball just has to bounce your way sometime. People need to stop talking about this record anyway....we all saw what happened when the Patriots went on their "undefeated" season. :lol

I think that's the main reason the Bulls were able to get to 70+ wins without killing themselves in the process. They really didn't have to play excessive minutes. Most of the time the Bulls blew teams out by the 3rd qtr and 4th qtr was basically garbage time for the bench players while Jordan, Pippen, and Harper were icing their knees and laughing it up.

ezau
10-13-2009, 12:18 AM
82-0 doesn't mean anything if you don't get the LOB at the end of the season. It's rings that count.

daslicer
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Only delusion laker and celtic fans believe 73 wins is possible. Hell I remember the dumbass allanon last year quoted the Lakers would break 72 wins and it didn't happen. I wish we could bet money on this because I would be a rich man at the end of the year.

LnGrrrR
10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
It's nice to see my Celtics staying humble, and keeping their sights low this year. :lol

Not only are we going to top 72 wins, we're going to win the championship back to back!

Any other predictions while we're at it Celtics? Curing cancer? How about turning Vin Diesel into a good actor? Maybe solving the recession?

Agloco
10-14-2009, 10:03 AM

81-1 for both.....

They play head to head twice.

Agloco
10-14-2009, 10:05 AM
It's nice to see my Celtics staying humble, and keeping their sights low this year. :lol

Not only are we going to top 72 wins, we're going to win the championship back to back!

Any other predictions while we're at it Celtics? Curing cancer? How about turning Vin Diesel into a good actor? Maybe solving the recession?

80% of economists agree that the recession is over.

I'm hard at work on a cure for cancer.

Vin Diesel, well, you're on your own there.

duncan228
10-14-2009, 02:42 PM
'Sheed defends 72 wins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Suicide-lines-Arenas-addresses-media-Sheed-;_ylt=AuWmuvh5H_rbm9OS7WDesdm8vLYF?urn=nba,195786)

High expectations

Wallace, who had 20 points and nine rebounds in 25 minutes, defended his prediction the Celtics are capable of winning 72 games.

“When you play with a high caliber team, whose goals are higher than other teams in the NBA, when you play with teams that want that hardware, then, yes, those records can be broken,’’ he said. “But I think we can get that 72. If we overcome injuries, I think we can get it. Just imagine if guys didn’t get hurt [last season], they definitely could have gotten it. That’s what we’re shooting for this year.’’

Wallace said he hoped to play against Toronto, but “It’s up to Doc. I came down on [Brook] Lopez’s or [Eduardo] Najera’s foot, just normal stuff.’’

Wallace on the Celtics’ comeback from a 14-point deficit: “One word - perseverance. We were down 15 or 16 and cats still went out there and played.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/10/14/rondo_not_guarded_during_celtics_exhibition_win/

Obstructed_View
10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
What was the point of this?

Just wanted to show Chris Rock playing "How much for an order of ribs?" with Wilt.

TJastal
10-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Ah, Wallace is already setting the bar at the top of the scale for the celtics.

To go 72-10 for every 9 games you have to go roughly 8-1. Good luck Rasheed.

:lol

iggypop123
10-15-2009, 12:34 AM
stay humble celtics.

Allanon
10-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Hell I remember the dumbass allanon last year quoted the Lakers would break 72 wins and it didn't happen. I wish we could bet money on this because I would be a rich man at the end of the year.

You stupid bitch, you remember INCORRECTLY. I never once said the Lakers would win 72 games.

Where was the quote that the Lakers would win 72 wins, which post was it? Don't make shit up ya dumb bitch :lol

duncan228
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Wallace should know Celtics' season doesn't start until April (http://www.probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=754)
By Chris Bernucca
Pro Basketball News

By now, you've probably heard Rasheed Wallace's claim that the Boston Celtics can surpass the record 72 wins of the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls (http://blog.ctnews.com/halzack/2009/10/11/celtics-2009-10-one-of-the-greatest-teams-ever/).

Wallace has never been shy about predictions. In the 2004 postseason, the Pistons lost to the Pacers in the opener of the conference finals, and Wallace's postgame media session primarily consisted of this sentence.

"They will NOT win Game Two!"

Wallace was right about that one but fell to 1-1 in bold declarations in 2007, when a similar statement prior to Game Four of the conference finals was undone by LeBron James and the Cavaliers.

Now in Boston, Wallace is apparently back in the prediction business. And this one is a doozy, although it cannot be instantly dismissed.

The Celtics went 66-16 when they won the championship two seasons ago. They raced to a 27-2 start last season and were still on pace for a win total in the mid-60s until heart and soul Kevin Garnett went down.

The healthy return of Garnett, additions of Wallace and Marquis Daniels and likely improvement of young players Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins and Big Baby Davis make it seem like the Celtics will be better. Even Kobe Bryant said he Wallace joining the Celtics was the offseason move that got his attention.

But Wallace's prediction could be taken more seriously if Wallace took the regular season more seriously. In Detroit, he could pretty much punch his ticket to the conference finals every season and at times didn't compete up to his standards (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrOH-KHxXg0).

In NBA history, only five teams have won 68 or more games in a season. You don't do that by taking games off, which the Celtics are going to have to do every once in a while, given that four of their top six players are 32 or older.

And you have to get a few wins handed to you along the way. Most of the teams that approached the 70-win stratosphere benefited from a schedule softened by recent expansion that diluted the league's talent base.

The Celtics appear to have the talent to threaten the Bulls' record. But so do the Cavaliers, who won 66 games last season; the Magic, who may be the deepest team in the league; and the Lakers, who are the defending champions coming off 65 wins.

You need more than talent to approach 70 wins. You need complete dominance at home, a great start, at least one long winning streak, plenty of weak opponents, health and luck.

Wallace and the Celtics would be better served taking some advice from the current champs, who are coached by a guy who has a little knowledge on the subject (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/14/lakers-have-a-single-goal-not-72/23269/).

In the meantime, here's a look at the five teams who have won at least 68 games in a season and how they did it.

1966-67 Philadelphia 76ers (68-13): This was an impressive showing, because it was done without expansion. The league had just 10 teams, which meant you played everyone nine times. And only the Baltimore Bullets (20-61) won less than 30 games.

The Sixers started 7-0, then rattled off two 11-game winning streaks and a nine-gamer to get to 46-4. At that point, they actually lost four of five, the cruised home to obliterate the previous record of 62 wins. Philadelphia was just 4-5 against Boston (60-21) but 64-8 vs. everyone else.

Fun fact: The Sixers played 15 neutral-site games, including six in Pittsburgh, their home away from home that was 250 miles across the state.

1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers (69-13): The league added Buffalo, Cleveland and Portland one year earlier, which certainly helped; the Lakers were 13-1 vs. those three teams, who combined for six less wins than LA.

But that didn't help as much as Elgin Baylor's retirement. The Lakers were 6-3 when Baylor called it quits. That vaulted second-year forward Jim McMillian into the lineup - and triggered a record 33-game winning streak that no team approached before or since.

During the streak, the Lakers beat every team except Cincinnati and played a staggering four sets of three games in three nights. Where's Billy Hunter when you really need him?

Fun fact: The only team to beat the Lakers twice was the Phoenix Suns (49-33), who remain the team with the best record to fail to make the playoffs.

1972-73 Boston Celtics (68-14): The Celts were still benefiting a bit from Buffalo, Portland and inglorious Philadelphia, going 18-0 vs. that trio. They ran out to records of 10-0 and 26-3 and were still 40-7 before losing back-to-back games to the New York Knicks.

That turned out to be an omen. A 24-2 finish including another loss to the Knicks, who went 4-4 vs. the Celtics, won a Game Seven in Boston Garden and went on to take the title.

Fun fact: This squad is the only team to lose less than 15 games in a season and fail to win the championship.

1995-96 Chicago Bulls (72-10): This was an expansion year, with Toronto and Vancouver joining the league. The Bulls actually lost once to the Raptors, but expansion weakens the entire league; six teams won 25 games or less.

Relatively speaking, the Bulls didn't break out of the gate. They were 10-2 after a loss at eventual Finals foe Seattle but won 31 of their next 32 games before losing two in a row for the only time that season.

The Bulls broke the Lakers' record with three games to spare. The only team to beat them twice was Indiana (52-30), which had a nucleus that reached the Finals four years later.

Fun fact: With a little more luck, the Bulls could have been 75-7. Three of their losses were by one point.

1996-97 Chicago Bulls (69-13): The three-game dropoff of the 1995-96 Bulls is the smallest of any of these teams; the average of the other four is 8.5 less wins. But this team was still taking advantage of talent dilution and wasn't as good against the better clubs.

These Bulls actually started better than the previous version, going 10-0 and 17-1 before losing two in a row. They got to 34-4 and 63-9, which put 70 wins within reach. But they came off the gas and lost three of their last four.

Fun fact: Chicago less games vs. lottery teams (three) than it did vs. New York and Miami (two each), who beat each other up in the postseason (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3AWNecWHc)and didn't have enough left for a second fight.

Allanon
10-15-2009, 12:23 PM
When you have a top heavy league like it is now, there's always a possibility for the record.

There's probably 3-4 teams with enough firepower and depth to challenge the record...and if they luck into health and a few friendly bounces; it's certainly possible.

ElNono
10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
86 win regular season ecstasy!!

Allanon
10-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Are you crazy?

Nah, 86 wins is impossible. I think 83 win Ecstasy is much more realistic.

ElNono
10-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Are you crazy?

Nah, 86 wins is impossible. I think 83 win Ecstasy is much more realistic.

lol