PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Don't Plan To Offer Farmar Extension

duncan228
10-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Lakers' Jordan Farmar might become a restricted free agent (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi11-2009oct11,0,794430.story)
Fourth-year point guard says he's not worried about his contract status, but he wants to stay in L.A.
By Broderick Turner

The Lakers aren't planning on offering Jordan Farmar a contract extension this season, which in many ways leaves his future uncertain.

Farmar, in his fourth season, in which he'll earn $1.947 million, saw the team pick up the options for his third and fourth seasons. But he's aware that if the Lakers don't offer him a deal by the deadline of Oct. 31, he'll become a restricted free agent next summer and the Lakers can match any offer Farmar receives from another team.

Farmar said after practice Saturday he's not feeling increased pressure because this is a contract year.

"There's always going to be pressure playing in the NBA for the Lakers," Farmar said. "That's just part of the job. I don't think it's more than any other year. This is my first time up for a renewal, so that's a little different aspect to it. I just try to stay mentally tough and continue to work hard."

The Lakers have a payroll of $91.3 million, putting them over the luxury-tax threshold of $69.92 million, meaning Lakers owner Jerry Buss will have to pay an additional dollar-for-dollar tax of $21.4 million.

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said the coaches asked Farmar to lift weights and improve his defense.

Jackson is not worried about Farmar pressing because he doesn't have a contract beyond this season.

"He knows that he's a desired product in this game," Jackson said. "I know he doesn't feel like this is it for him. He's got a lot of followers in this game."

Farmar contends that he's not "necessarily" nervous because this is a contract year.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," Farmar said. "I'm a member of the Lakers. We're world champions. We're going after this season trying to defend our title. So those are things I'm focusing on. The other stuff will take care of itself. I play basketball because I love the game.

"We all know it's a business side to it. When that comes, we'll have to address it. This is the best organization in the business, in my opinion. It's special here. I would love to be here as long as I can."

PGDynasty24
10-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Farmar is so talented,a lot more talented than Shannon Brown but Jordan just can't seem to put it together

BlackBellamy
10-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm all for him, if nothing else for being the only Jew in the league. However, his skill set is so middle of the road that I can't see him getting a better deal than a back-up point position in L.A. (really, even from PJ's doghouse he would regret losing out on being a part of this scary good Lakers club). That is unless the Kings wanna try another Beno type (little more inside game than Beno) at their starter. He better try his ass off this season or it's (insert random) Israeli team first string for Farmar. Either way, best of luck bubala.

TheManFromAcme
10-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Farmar IS Jewish.

Donkeybong
10-11-2009, 02:31 PM
who gives a shit

Culburn369
10-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm all for him, if nothing else for being the only Jew in the league.

That such a racist comment.

BlackBellamy
10-11-2009, 03:10 PM
That such a racist comment.

He's from my tribe. For being a 'strong white man', you sure are overtly sensitive.

The Franchise
10-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure he's really a Jew. I think he has some Negroid in him. Plus you guys are real finicky about that whole adopted shit, you know, with the holy blood-line and all.

Do a little homework then re-evaluate this statement. :lol

BlackBellamy
10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Ok teacher, I'm done with my lesson. Here is what I've come up with. Farmar's mother is Jewish, but according to Farmar he is part black due to his biological father. His step-dad is an Israeli, which means he probably grew up amongst Jewish customs, or not, seeing that his mom took a dive into the abyss, and Jordan himself claims he is not a believing Jew. Me myself, I prescribe to that "one from rule," and conservative Jews do as well. So he's fucked, no CHOSENSHIP for him.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3177805,00.html

The 'chosenship' is passed from his mother to him. By race, if your mother's a Jew, that's what you are. I don't believe in myth or fairy tales, so I myself am a non-practicing Jew, but a Jew none the less.

duncan228
10-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Judaism traditionally runs through the maternal line. If your mother is Jewish, you'll be welcomed into Synagog as a Jew.

The Franchise
10-11-2009, 04:20 PM
I want to say you are wrong because the Bible goes out of its way to remind you of the lineage of all of those men from Abraham, but then there is Jesus, whose father is God, but mother was a Jew. Cant argue that. You have the best of both worlds, you don't practice, but that whole blood thing has you well seated.:toast

I want my apology dammit!! :p:

BlackBellamy
10-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I want to say you are wrong because the Bible goes out of its way to remind you of the lineage of all of those men from Abraham, but then there is Jesus, whose father is God, but mother was a Jew. Cant argue that. You have the best of both worlds, you don't practice, but that whole blood thing has you well seated.:toast

Who's to say God isn't a Jew (applies particularly if you're Christian, trinity and all)? All I know, in being faithless and Jewish, is that I'm not going to hell. Truthfully, I was a bit ignorant myself as to the "why?" of maternal blood being the defining factor. This sums up anchient practice vs. the current understand of Jewish custom regarding blood-lines pretty well...

via Wiki~
Matrilineality in Judaism is the view that people born of a Jewish mother are themselves Jewish. The conferring of Jewish status through matrilineality is not stated explicitly in the Torah, though Jewish oral tradition maintains this was always the rule, and adduces indirect textual evidence. In biblical times, many Israelites married foreign women, and their children appear to have been accepted as Israelite without question; the Talmud understands that the women in question converted to Judaism.

In the Hellenistic period, some evidence indicates that the offspring of intermarriages between Jewish men and non-Jewish women were considered Jewish; as is usual in prerabbinic texts, there is no mention of conversion on the part of the Gentile spouse. On the other hand, Philo of Alexandria calls the child of a Jew and a non-Jew a nothos (bastard), regardless of whether the non-Jewish parent is the father or the mother.

The Mishnah (Kiddushin 3:12) states that, to be a Jew, one must be either the child of a Jewish mother or a convert to Judaism. The Talmud (Kiddushin 68b) derives this law from the Torah. The relevant Torah passage (Deut. 7:3-4) reads: "Thy daughter thou shalt not give to his son, nor shalt thou take his daughter to thy son. For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods."

With the emergence of Jewish denominations and the modern rise in Jewish intermarriage in the 20th century, questions about the law of matrilineal descent have assumed greater importance to the Jewish community at large. The heterogenous Jewish community is divided on the issue of "Who is a Jew?" via descent; matrilineal descent still is the rule within Orthodox Judaism, which also holds that anyone with a Jewish mother has an irrevocable Jewish status, and matrilineal descent is the norm in the Conservative movement. Since 1983, Reform Judaism in the United States of America officially adopted a bilineal policy: one is a Jew if either of one's parents is Jewish, provided that either (a) one is raised as a Jew, by Reform standards, or (b) one engages in an appropriate act of public identification, formalizing a practice that had been common in Reform synagogues for at least a generation. Karaite Judaism, which includes only the Tanakh in its canon, interprets the Torah to indicate that Jewishness passes exclusively through the father's line, maintaining the system of patrilineality that many scholars believe was the practice of ancient Israel.

This concludes Hebrew School.

duncan228
10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Are you not welcomed if your father was Jewish and your mother is not?

:lol Sorry, I phrased it badly. Of course you'll be welcome if your father was Jewish. You'll be welcome if neither parent was but you want to be. But if your father wasn't, and your mother was, you're considered Jewish by the religion.

BlackBellamy has done a great job explaining the history of the maternal line.

IronMexican
10-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm Jewish.

BlackBellamy
10-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm Jewish.

Yo' mama's Jewish... If you're Jewish that is.

Donkeybong
10-11-2009, 06:03 PM
A game with Jewish All-Stars vs. Muslim All-Stars would own.

JamStone
10-11-2009, 06:57 PM
For you practicing Jews, cheeseburgers are awesome.

BlackBellamy
10-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Bacon cheeseburgers are even better.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Not all Jews keep kosher, only the really religious ones. And yeah, bacon is legit.

DJB
10-12-2009, 12:40 AM
A game with Jewish All-Stars vs. Muslim All-Stars would own.
:lol:lol