PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Blair's burst locks up Spurs victory

duncan228
10-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Blair's burst locks up Spurs victory (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Blairs_burst_locks_up_Spurs_victory.html)
Mike Monroe

MIAMI — About 20 seconds remained in a timeout called with 3:02 remaining in Sunday's Spurs-Heat preseason game, but DeJuan Blair couldn't wait.

Veterans from both teams leaned against the scorer's table, waiting for the referees to whistle them back, but Blair walked to center court and stood, hands on hips.

Nobody could blame the Spurs rookie for being eager for the game's resumption. If his pose seemed moderately defiant, well, he had earned the moment.

The precocious rookie from the University of Pittsburgh had scored 13 of the Spurs' previous 15 points, dragging them from a 13-point fourth-quarter deficit to a three-point lead with 3:02 remaining.

If anyone thought him guilty of unearned hubris, he followed by punctuating his performance with a basket that provided the Spurs their margin of victory in a 95-93 win. His game-winning layin, off a nice feed from Malik Hairston, gave him his 27th and 28th points of the game.

By the time he headed to the locker room to receive a dose of instant humility, delivered by coach Gregg Popovich, Blair had scored 15 of the Spurs' 33 fourth-quarter points, all in the final six-and-a-half minutes.

Sunday's fourth-quarter explosion produced the second set of eye-popping statistics of the 6-foot-7, 265-pound post man's preseason. In the first preseason game, against the Rockets, he scored 16 points and grabbed 19 rebounds.

Drafted in the second round because the Spurs believed him a legitimate NBA rebounder, Blair got a none-too-subtle reminder from Popovich that rebounding must remain his forte.

“He had a tough night,” Popovich said, straight-faced. “He only had one defensive rebound.”

Then, Popovich failed to suppress a grin as he told reporters from Florida, “He's really going to enjoy reading that in the San Antonio paper.”

In truth, Popovich was thrilled with the way Blair stayed within the Spurs' offense to earn his scoring opportunities. As impressive as his shooting was, Popovich was equally stirred by Blair's ability to create for teammates.

“He threw some good passes to people out of the post, so it wasn't like he caught it and shot it every time,” Popovich said. “He had a pass to (Michael Finley) for a 3-point basket and another pass for a basket out of a double-team in the post.

“I thought he played a very good all-around game — except for the one board.”

Blair has proved a quick study since training camp began two weeks ago. His teammates praise his willingness to seek advice and then to apply lessons taught.

“I'm getting a lot more comfortable,” Blair said. “My teammates are putting a lot of trust in me. I'm still here for rebounding. The points will come from what they come from each night.

“The rebounds weren't falling my way today. I know (Popovich) said, ‘He only had one defensive rebound today,' but if you look at the tape, they hit every shot.”

In fact, the Heat missed 39 of their 75 shots, so Blair will get a reminder of his shortcomings on the glass when the tape rolls.

“I can't wait until the film session,” he said. “It's going to be fun. But that's just me being me.”

Popovich is apt to be Popovich during the viewing, too, but he made it clear that Blair has had a great training camp thus far, despite his tepid results in tracking down misses on Sunday.

“He's a real mobile, agile player, even though he's got the girth that he has,” Popovich said. “He has great quickness, so it's a heck of a gift, along with that rear end he was given.”

Blair's teammates already value his physicality and aggression. They remain perplexed at his availability to the Spurs in the second round of the 2009 draft.

“He listens,” said 35-year-old veteran power forward Antonio McDyess, “and he's a good guy. He's different that way than a lot of young guys that come in the league.

“Plus, he's a beast. A lot of teams need to kick themselves in the butt. He's a heck of a player.”

DJB
10-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Can someone cut up a youtube video of his performance? Thanks.

phyzik
10-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Round Mound of Rebound Part 2.

DespЏrado
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm starting to think ROY isn't out of the realm of possibility for Mr. Blair. This kid might be the first second rounder to contend for and possibly win the ROY. How f'ing sweet would that be?

Obstructed_View
10-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm starting to think ROY isn't out of the realm of possibility for Mr. Blair. This kid might be the first second rounder to contend for and possibly win the ROY. How f'ing sweet would that be?

Hopefully we get an idea of how feasible that is after the next game as he (again, hopefully) faces his biggest rival for the award.

Samr
10-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Hopefully we get an idea of how feasible that is after the next game as he (again, hopefully) faces his biggest rival for the award.

You saw what happened to Thabeet, right?

Spursmania
10-11-2009, 11:54 PM
I hope Blair continues to work hard and impress all the GM's out there who didn't want to take a chance on him. He seems to have a great work ethic and working with Duncan has got to be amazing for him.

The funny thing is at Pitt he said his favorite player was Shaq. Wonder if he's mentioned that to Duncan yet.:lol

timvp
10-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Blair has 53 points, 25 rebounds, six assists, five steals and two turnovers in 59 minutes so far in preseason. Those numbers are got damn disgusting. Add in his near 60% field goal percentage and Hollinger's PER calculator would implode if he tried to enter those stats.

I'm thrilled with Blair's production so far ... but I don't think he finishes in the top five in ROY voting. He simply won't play enough minutes. Hopefully I'm wrong and Blair just keep proving doubters wrong but I just don't see him playing more than 20 minutes per game.

ulosturedge
10-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah he won't get the minutes. He would have to try and bite into Dice's, Bonner's, and even Ian's minutes to even have a shot. Which I don't see that out of the realm of possibility, but it's still highly unlikely.

loveforthegame
10-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Blair has 53 points, 25 rebounds, six assists, five steals and two turnovers in 59 minutes so far in preseason. Those numbers are got damn disgusting. Add in his near 60% field goal percentage and Hollinger's PER calculator would implode if he tried to enter those stats.

I'm thrilled with Blair's production so far ... but I don't think he finishes in the top five in ROY voting. He simply won't play enough minutes. Hopefully I'm wrong and Blair just keep proving doubters wrong but I just don't see him playing more than 20 minutes per game.

His numbers are sick. He's been most impressive and showing sides of his game I didn't know existed.

I don't care if he wins rookie of the year or not. Sure it would be nice but I'll be happy with him continuing to work hard and learning everything he can from the vets. And to stay healthy and hungry.

angelbelow
10-12-2009, 12:09 AM
:)

DespЏrado
10-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Seriously how the hell did this guy fall to us?

I mean I get the fact that Duncan was drafted because of Robinson's broken foot (amongst other ailments to the team), and that was just good timing.

I get that Manu was an unheard of foreign kid at a time when foreigners were still overlooked.

I understand that Parker might have dropped because he was just a fast kid who couldn't shoot and never stood out in the assist category.

But everything about Blair should have merited a top 5 draft pick. This is ridiculous. The Spurs are ridiculous. And I just want to laugh at every lame ass troll that ever said we tanked to get Duncan, because when it comes to Blair, they will have no one to blame but their own team's stupidity.

DespЏrado
10-12-2009, 12:14 AM

At the rate he is going 20 minutes is all he needs.

bdictjames
10-12-2009, 12:17 AM

I mean I get the fact that Duncan was drafted because of Robinson's broken foot (amongst other ailments to the team), and that was just good timing.

I get that Manu was an unheard of foreign kid at a time when foreigners were still overlooked.

I understand that Parker might have dropped because he was just a fast kid who couldn't shoot and never stood out in the assist category.

But everything about Blair should have merited a top 5 draft pick. This is ridiculous. The Spurs are ridiculous. And I just want to laugh at every lame ass troll that ever said we tanked to get Duncan, because when it comes to Blair, they will have no one to blame but their own team's stupidity.

Spurs are very lucky, perhaps blessed to get DeJuan Blair drop down to 37.

Halberto
10-12-2009, 12:24 AM
I think everyone is exaggerating Pop's willingness to play a rookie. He played Parker at the age of 19!

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 12:25 AM

I think you need to factor in, though, that he's already caught everyone's attention. If he puts up good numbers that are relative to his minutes played, I seriously think he'll be considered. It seems that much of the voting system in the NBA comes down to who is being talked about a lot.

Blackjack
10-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I don't see Blair getting the minutes or marketing-push -- this is the Spurs we're talking about -- to be a real serious threat to win ROY, but I guess it's not out of the realm if he can put up Horford-type numbers on a winner.

If Griffin's Clippers are getting their head's beat in on a pretty regular basis and his numbers aren't ungodly.. I guess it wouldn't be crazy to think DeJuan might have a shot.

I really couidn't care less about the award, TBQH.

I'm just ecstatic the kid's a Spur and I'm having a hard time knocking the smile off my face every time I read an article like this or see stats like timvp just threw out.:elephant

mookie2001
10-12-2009, 12:31 AM
he's already caught everyone's attention
no he hasnt

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 12:32 AM
no he hasnt

yes he has

mookie2001
10-12-2009, 12:34 AM
no

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 12:38 AM
yes

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1598&line=118567&spln=1

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iYlRNrvcfK1rTavxyvDSl2p_clTAD9B97J480

http://mvn.com/bucksdiary/2009/10/the-dejuan-blair-project-and-thabeet-roles-on.html

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-45-30/Blaming-the-Doctors-is-a-Cop-Out.html

http://www.sbnation.com/2009/10/7/1074635/dejuan-blair-is-stronger-than-your

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13982

peskypesky
10-12-2009, 12:46 AM
Blair will get the minutes. Rookie or no, it's clear he's probably the second best big man on the Spurs right now.

mVp
10-12-2009, 12:51 AM
DeJuan Blair !

elbamba
10-12-2009, 12:56 AM
I do not think he will get the minutes. Pop just doesn't seem to play rookies that much. Hill showed great promise last year and could not get in the Dallas series even though he was by far the better back up pg.

Blair will probably post some incredible numbers for the time he does play. I just don't think he gets 25 minutes a night, which is what he will need to get ROY consideration.

mookie2001
10-12-2009, 12:57 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1598&line=118567&spln=1

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iYlRNrvcfK1rTavxyvDSl2p_clTAD9B97J480

http://mvn.com/bucksdiary/2009/10/the-dejuan-blair-project-and-thabeet-roles-on.html

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-45-30/Blaming-the-Doctors-is-a-Cop-Out.html

http://www.sbnation.com/2009/10/7/1074635/dejuan-blair-is-stronger-than-your

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13982

nice use of time

its the preseason, and yep, thats everyone.

Blackjack
10-12-2009, 01:03 AM
I feel that Hill and Blair are the only rotation players that are going hard in the pre-season. Manu, Tony, Tim, RJ, Roger, Dice, I just feel that they are going throught the motions more than playing.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but its part of the stats they have put up.

It's understandable and to be expected for the vets, but I don't think the young fella's are going through the motions. They might not all be standing out, but I wouldn't say it's for lack of effort.

Besides, Malik's having a pretty damn good camp and preseason, and you can't tell me he isn't going hard..

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 01:11 AM
nice use of time

Are you serious? Semantics. Also, stating the obvious. Yes, it's preseason, that means nothing when concerning popularity. It was still preseason when Pardon the Interruption talked about him, it's still preseason when ESPN is writing articles about him. What does popularity have to do with preseason? Obviously, when I spoke of "everyone", I was talking of everyone who matters when it comes to RoY voting. Sportwriters. Sportswriters write articles. Similar to the ones in my previous posting.

Blackjack
10-12-2009, 01:14 AM
^^ You just got mookie'd.:lol

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 01:17 AM
^^ You just got mookie'd.:lol

yea, no shit. :lol

Demo Dick Marcinko
10-12-2009, 01:18 AM
no

Link?

SenorSpur
10-12-2009, 01:29 AM

Those asswipe GMs and player personnel gurus must really be kicking themselves now. They spend months analyzing, scouting and dissecting all possible information on prospective NBA rookies. They give them all sorts of intelligence tests and submit them to a battery of personal interviews. All that information and they STILL found a supposed reason to pass on Blair. There's no doubt he should've been a top five pick as orginally projected. Did these guys simply forget all about his rather impressive resume, as a key contributor of a major college program?

Their loss is the Spurs gain. It's unbelievable that the Spurs were able to nab this guy in the 2nd round. This guy is our lottery pick talent without the draft lottery.

Danny.Zhu
10-12-2009, 01:38 AM

Is there any second round drafter that won the ROY in the past?

MagnusKrauss
10-12-2009, 02:01 AM
the precocious rookie from the university of pittsburgh had scored 13 of the spurs' previous 15 points, dragging them from a 13-point fourth-quarter deficit to a three-point lead with 3:02 remaining.

15-13=3?

DespЏrado
10-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Is there any second round drafter that won the ROY in the past?

I guess the answer may be technically yes
1957-58...Woody Sauldsberry .........Philadelphia Warriors......... 60th pick

There are only two other people not in the top 10 of their draft classes to win ROY:
1974-75..... Keith Wilkes...... Golden State Warrior........11th pick
1987-88..... Mark Jackson..... New York Knicks...............18th pick

The full list is here, I'm too tired to post it in the correct table format:Linky (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=NBA_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award_Winne rs)

Obstructed_View
10-12-2009, 02:20 AM
You saw what happened to Thabeet, right?

With all due respect to Thabeet, I'd much rather see how Blair fares against Griffin.

Mr. Body
10-12-2009, 02:31 AM
With all due respect to Thabeet, I'd much rather see how Blair fares against Griffin.

The first LAC-SAS game will be marked on the calendar.

Chieflion
10-12-2009, 02:38 AM
The first LAC-SAS game will be marked on the calendar.
For sure. I want to see Blair do to Griffin what Hill did to Rose.

Danny.Zhu
10-12-2009, 03:11 AM
I guess the answer may be technically yes
1957-58...Woody Sauldsberry .........Philadelphia Warriors......... 60th pick

There are only two other people not in the top 10 of their draft classes to win ROY:
1974-75..... Keith Wilkes...... Golden State Warrior........11th pick
1987-88..... Mark Jackson..... New York Knicks...............18th pick

The full list is here, I'm too tired to post it in the correct table format:Linky (http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=NBA_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award_Winne rs)

Thanks.

mathbzh
10-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Blair will probably post some incredible numbers for the time he does play. I just don't think he gets 25 minutes a night, which is what he will need to get ROY consideration.

I don't know. If he posts incredible numbers in 20 minutes and have a couple of mind-blowing games (like 20-20 games or something like that) maybe it could be enough.

Buddy Holly
10-12-2009, 03:24 AM
I do not think he will get the minutes. Pop just doesn't seem to play rookies that much. Hill showed great promise last year and could not get in the Dallas series even though he was by far the better back up pg.

BS. Pop has no problems playing rookie, rookies that deserve playing time. Hill hit a slump in the second half of the season which is why Pop stopped playing him. It wasn't because he was a rookie.

Buddy Holly
10-12-2009, 03:28 AM
How bad ass is it that the Spurs didn't have a first round pick yet draft someone that people can have serious ROY talks about.

Bukefal
10-12-2009, 03:32 AM
We are blessed with this guy everyone! I hope he gets many minutes this season, watching him play is a delight for my eyes, he does a great job for our team and fits perfectly with the rest of the players.

raspsa
10-12-2009, 03:41 AM
I think if Blair manages to learn enough of the Spurs defensive scheme so as not to be a big liability, his rebounding and scoring and other intangibles will outweigh any hesitation on Pop's part to give him olenty of minutes. Pop can be flexible too when the situation warrants and Blair may just be that kind of exception to the rule.

Rummpd
10-12-2009, 04:04 AM
Go to lakersground.net and see Lakers fans diss this guy as too short but the Spurs will have last laugh as he absolutely tears up the front line of the Lakers alongside Duncan and he will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Nmq2aJeZQ

Bring it down DB!!!

DespЏrado
10-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Go to lakersground.net and see Lakers fans diss this guy as too short but the Spurs will have last laugh as he absolutely tears up the front line of the Lakers alongside Duncan and he will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Nmq2aJeZQ

Bring it down DB!!!

They have no idea what's going to happen to them, just none. If I am a Laker's fan I at least take notice that Blair might be a little better than advertised. I mean I know I am jumping the gun even mentioning ROY, but I haven't been this legitimately excited since Duncan and Manu were drafted. (Tony didn't win me over until later.) Blair is a game changer. Barring injuries the NBA is soon going to know the name Dejuan Blair.

At this point I don't think there is any ceiling on how good Blair might be. That should scare some folks over in LaLa land. But I guess they still haven't learned their lesson from overlooking Parker and Manu.

The only thing better than beating the Lakers, is ending a Laker's dynasty.

benefactor
10-12-2009, 06:50 AM
I don't think that Blair getting minutes will be predicated on him being a rookie. Our front line rotation has a lot of questions. There is not much that is concrete beyond Duncan, McDyess, Ratliff and Bonner...and those last two will be more or less depending on the situation. If Blair continues to play well he will get minutes.

portnoy1
10-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Once again, Bonner's days are numbered. Pop may be giving Bonner a last chance to prove that he deserves to where a spurs Jersey. Pop Is giving everyone a chance to show what they can do. Theirs no way that Blair drops to 5 big in the rotation. Bonner is here cause he can shoot the 3. Last year we needed all the help we could get in the scoring department cause of Tim's bad knee and Manu being out. With Parker being the main creator, all we had left were guys that could shoot open jumpers/3's. So Pop put in three 3pt shooters next to tim and tony to get more scoring opportunuties ( Mason Jr./Finley/Bonner). We have guys that can create their own shot now. RJ can slash/post and shoot the 3, Mcdyess can Shoot/post. Now the important aspect to focus on is Defense, Primarily Rebounding and Shot-blocking. Bonner averaged 4.8 rbds in 23minutes a game last season and I'm not even going to talk about his shotblocking numbers. Ratliff is a legit shotblocker and both Blair ad Ratliff are solid rebounders. With the offense taken care of; since we have a healthy Big 3 along with RJ/DICE and Mason jrs sharp shooting we dont need a big that can shoot 3's. Blair will take a chunk of Bonner's minutes since bonner can't rebound to save his life. I'm kinda irritated that Pop said something about blair getting only 4 rbds ( 1 defensive ). Especially because Bonner averaged only a little over 4 rbds a game. Thats crap, Bonner deserves to get lit into for being 6-10 and not getting rebounds. Pop doesn't get on Bonner when he misses shots ( which is what he is here for ) but he'll get on Blair for not getting enough rebounds. Blair and Ratliff were tied with team high 4 rbds so Blair didn't do atrocious on the boards. All I have to say is this, Bonner has to go. If Pop is playing him to shop him, thats fine (only for a month though ). If he is playing him because of last season's production, then thats nonsense. With the addition of Dice and RJ were not suppose to be running 1-4 sets that much anymore. Which would make bonner pretty much useless in our system, especially since less plays are going to be called and their is supposed to be a motion offense in place now.

picnroll
10-12-2009, 07:34 AM
I'd expect, because of the difficulty of a rookie adjusting to the long NBA season, wanting to have Blair fresh for the playoffs, plus Spurs watching out long term for Blair's knees, he's not going to be playing more than 20 minutes a game which is what a lot projected as best case scenario in the beginning.

portnoy1
10-12-2009, 07:55 AM
We'll see who is starting opening night.

Because Blair is an elite shotblocker and all...

5 rebounds in the amount of time he was on the court last season is not bad at all, especially considering it isn't his forte. And again, we'll see who is starting on opening night.

He averaged 5. And think about what you're saying. That would be like saying, "God damn, that guy DeJuan Blair is playing terrible. He isn't even knocking down any 3's!!!".
If your a center or a PF you cant get by on 5 rbds if your playing half the game. So although Bonner is a sharp-shooter he is playing the C/PF position and has to get rebounds. I still wouldn't understand why Pop would roll with him as a starter if you have Dice and then Blair/Ratliff on your bench. And when it came to the shot-blocking I never said Blair is a shot-blocker I said that Ratliff is and Both blair and ratliff can get rebounds. But even if rebounding is not your forte, if your playing that Position and you dont have a solid rebounding SF then you have to get tough and start going for em' regardless. C Bargnani of The Raptors has gotten away with not getting rebounds for 2 seasons. Why? SF Jamario Moon was a good rebounder ( 2007-08 ) SF - Shawn Marion is also a solid rebounder ( 2008-09 ). Spurs SF Michael Finley not so much. That exspoed Bonner big time. Side note Shawn Marion left to go to the Mavs and the Raptors traded shooter Jason Kapono to get Reggie Evans who is known for ( Rebounding ).

mountainballer
10-12-2009, 08:01 AM
I don't see Blair getting the minutes or marketing-push -- this is the Spurs we're talking about -- to be a real serious threat to win ROY, but I guess it's not out of the realm if he can put up Horford-type numbers on a winner.

If Griffin's Clippers are getting their head's beat in on a pretty regular basis and his numbers aren't ungodly.. I guess it wouldn't be crazy to think DeJuan might have a shot.

I really couidn't care less about the award, TBQH.

I'm just ecstatic the kid's a Spur and I'm having a hard time knocking the smile off my face every time I read an article like this or see stats like timvp just threw out.:elephant

agree. and there is another point: let's pray Blair doesn't become a ROY candidate. because this would mean that:
a- Spurs have to deal with a lot of injuries in the front court or
b- all other bigs (especially Dice) are underachieving.
neither a or b will be good news for the Spurs major goals. and I don't see a ROY award as a major goal.

but what might be somehow realistic is that Blair plays enough minutes (20MPG) and produces good numbers, so he's invited to the rookie team on all star weekend.
(and/or rookie first team 2009-10) there won't be many other more impressive rookie big man outside Griffin, so this chance look realistic.
all star weekend would be a pretty good feeling for 2nd round pick Blair I guess.

phyzik
10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Intellect, ACLs, size, shot blocking.

I seriously dont get where you got the idea in your head that Blair is not smart.

He was a finalist for the John R. Wooden award, meaning he had to maintain a GPA better than 2.0 while playing basketball. That's not exactly an easy thing to do. For all we know he could have had a 4.0 GPA but it was definitely better than 2.0. You dont get nominated for that award without at least a 2.0. I would go further to say you probably dont make it as a finalist with less than a 3.0 Im guessing.

quit with the bullshit already.

smrattler
10-12-2009, 08:32 AM
If your a center or a PF you cant get by on 5 rbds if your playing half the game. So although Bonner is a sharp-shooter he is playing the C/PF position and has to get rebounds. I still wouldn't understand why Pop would roll with him as a starter if you have Dice and then Blair/Ratliff on your bench.

Why is this even a discussion? No way Bonner starts. Dice starts, period. Pop wants to go back to being a defensive team and controlling the boards. That practically spells "Bonner, sit down".

I think Blair will get his minutes, for a specific role. If Dice gets injured, I think Ratliff starts and Blair's minutes would increase.

Either way, Pop also wants to keep Dice and Ratliff fresh for the playoffs, that means let the young guy play.

Bonner's role will change this year, relied on less to do the things he can't and just focus on shooting. He was brought in to come off the bench and stretch the floor with open looks, not start at center. The additions of Dice, Blair and Ratliff allow Bonner to look good by letting Pop use him the right way.

Mel_13
10-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Once again, Bonner's days are numbered. Pop may be giving Bonner a last chance to prove that he deserves to where a spurs Jersey. Pop Is giving everyone a chance to show what they can do. Theirs no way that Blair drops to 5 big in the rotation. Bonner is here cause he can shoot the 3. Last year we needed all the help we could get in the scoring department cause of Tim's bad knee and Manu being out. With Parker being the main creator, all we had left were guys that could shoot open jumpers/3's. So Pop put in three 3pt shooters next to tim and tony to get more scoring opportunuties ( Mason Jr./Finley/Bonner). We have guys that can create their own shot now. RJ can slash/post and shoot the 3, Mcdyess can Shoot/post. Now the important aspect to focus on is Defense, Primarily Rebounding and Shot-blocking. Bonner averaged 4.8 rbds in 23minutes a game last season and I'm not even going to talk about his shotblocking numbers. Ratliff is a legit shotblocker and both Blair ad Ratliff are solid rebounders. With the offense taken care of; since we have a healthy Big 3 along with RJ/DICE and Mason jrs sharp shooting we dont need a big that can shoot 3's. Blair will take a chunk of Bonner's minutes since bonner can't rebound to save his life. I'm kinda irritated that Pop said something about blair getting only 4 rbds ( 1 defensive ). Especially because Bonner averaged only a little over 4 rbds a game. Thats crap, Bonner deserves to get lit into for being 6-10 and not getting rebounds. Pop doesn't get on Bonner when he misses shots ( which is what he is here for ) but he'll get on Blair for not getting enough rebounds. Blair and Ratliff were tied with team high 4 rbds so Blair didn't do atrocious on the boards. All I have to say is this, Bonner has to go. If Pop is playing him to shop him, thats fine (only for a month though ). If he is playing him because of last season's production, then thats nonsense. With the addition of Dice and RJ were not suppose to be running 1-4 sets that much anymore. Which would make bonner pretty much useless in our system, especially since less plays are going to be called and their is supposed to be a motion offense in place now.

As to the substance or lack thereof:

bonner can't rebound to save his life
Ratliff is a solid rebounder

Do you even bother to check the actual numbers?

Last year Bonner averaged 7.2 rebounds per 36min. Ratliff averaged 8.0 per 36 min. Bonner actually had a better defensive rebounding rate. All of Ratliff's advantage came in the offensive rebounding numbers. Not surprising, since Ratliff is 20 ft closer to the basket on offense. While Ratliff has been a great shotblocker during his career, his rebounding has been average to below average.

Career Rebounds per 36min
Ratliff: 8.1
Bonner: 7.0

boutons_deux
10-12-2009, 08:36 AM
"GPA better than 2.0"

out of 4.0? in HS, that was a F- grade of 50%. :)

I don't care how smart or stupid he is off-court (just don't go SJax/MVick on us), only about his BBIQ.
He actually seems to enjoying playing, as opposed to working.
How long will his self-honeymoon last?
When will it become work-a-day drudgery?

phyzik
10-12-2009, 08:47 AM
"GPA better than 2.0"

out of 4.0? in HS, that was a F- grade of 50%. :)

I don't care how smart or stupid he is off-court (just don't go SJax/MVick on us), only about his BBIQ.
He actually seems to enjoying playing, as opposed to working.
How long will his self-honeymoon last?
When will it become work-a-day drudgery?

Wrong.

A GPA of 1.5-2.49 is considered a C
A GPA of 2.5-3.49 is considered a B
A GPA of 3.5 or better is considered an A

None of us know what his actual GPA was, but to at least be considered for that award it HAD to at least be higher than a 2.0 and I dont care what his grade was either, I just think Spurstrodamus is an asshat for calling DeJuan unintelligent and actually insinuating that that was one of the reasons no other team drafted him.

completely deck
10-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Look, I love Blair, but a 2.0-ish GPA isn't that hard to maintain. It's not like he split the atom.

phyzik
10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Look, I love Blair, but a 2.0-ish GPA isn't that hard to maintain. It's not like he split the atom.

And its not like a 2.0 is dumbass material either. No one even said his GPA was 2.0, I said it had to be HIGHER than that.

Forget the grade thing people, I was just using it to illustrate another point entirely.

Spurstrodamus is an asshat and Dejuan isnt stupid. Thats all I was getting at.

rjv
10-12-2009, 09:21 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13982 (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13982)

that was a nice article on blair and i also love the piece on artest (the guy wants to box his first professional fight in 4 years). artest is a nut job.

benefactor
10-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm not reading this...and most other people won't either.

http://www.bikeforest.com/CAD/faq/enter_key.jpg

CGD
10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Just for my own edification, where did the "Blair is dumb" thing come from? If anything, many camp/preseason reports indicate that he is a quick learner. Did he say something, were his grades circulated, or what? If so, please substantiate your claims.

benefactor
10-12-2009, 09:31 AM
I seriously dont get where you got the idea in your head that Blair is not smart.

He was a finalist for the John R. Wooden award, meaning he had to maintain a GPA better than 2.0 while playing basketball. That's not exactly an easy thing to do. For all we know he could have had a 4.0 GPA but it was definitely better than 2.0. You dont get nominated for that award without at least a 2.0. I would go further to say you probably dont make it as a finalist with less than a 3.0 Im guessing.

For informational purposes....

He is Spur Supremacist reincarnated. It is no coincidence that he is in love with Bonner and he has plenty of negative things to say about Jefferson and Blair.
It's more about Blair being black. He'll probably get banned again soon for the same reasons...so I wouldn't bother responding to him.

mexpurs21
10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
I know its the preseason, bla, bla, bla

but Blair is 12th in the league in preseason points per game (qualifed)

:rollin

EDIT: And 4th in PPG per 48 minutes

Agloco
10-12-2009, 09:55 AM

Unfortunately he won't get the minutes needed to have the stats......oh wait a minute, he only needs 15-20 minutes a game to put up 15 and 10 apparently. :wow

Agloco
10-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Sooooo.......everybody qualifies? 2.0 is minimum passing...... ie getting all "C"s in your classes. I certainly hope that was a typo on your part.

I'm thinking you meant 3.0? With finalists closer to 3.3 perhaps?

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Dude, you can quote all of the stats that you want, but just like Bruce Bowen, it's always the intangibles that count. You can't always quantify his suckiness. Yes, sometimes Bonner had monster games where he scored like the dickens. Who cares? The "let's outscore them without playing defense" experiment has failed. Bonner was a part of that.

Also, this is a forum. People sign up here and can have their voices heard. Gas station cashiers, sports writers, Hooter's girls, bank tellers all have the same amount of power on these boards. If you're really concerned about people "who don't know about NBA basketball", then why are you on a forum where fans talk? Just go and read articles written by "professionals". It's very simple, and less stress for you.

NoOptionB
10-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Who gives a shit about GPA. The man is saving the world one rebound at a time.

AND he donated both of his ACL's to Uganda.

da_suns_fan
10-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Colin Powell had a 2.0 GPA but it was later found he had a crazy high IQ (I forget the number and Im too lazy to look).

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Who gives a shit about GPA. The man is saving the world one rebound at a time.

AND he donated both of his ACL's to Uganda.

:lol I'm telling, that sig is effin awesome. That's it, I'm calling him Captain America.

NoOptionB
10-12-2009, 12:31 PM
^^haha thanks, I'm going to do a better job photoshopping it soon.

Blackjack
10-12-2009, 12:32 PM
That's probably because IQ has little to do with school work and more to do with actual intelligence.

So, you're basically saying you needn't be articulate or the owner of a stellar GPA to be intelligent...

One would wonder why the same, logical, standard wouldn't remain true for an NBA player when assessing how intelligent they are, -- in the only reason it matters -- in regards to the game of basketball.

phxspurfan
10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Just looking at the line, this guy had a very Scola-ish game...

HarlemHeat37
10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Blair and Bonner have completely different games..they aren't going to be in competition with each other, it's going to depend on the matchups..

ShoogarBear
10-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm withholding my opinion on Blair until I see what Sequ has to say. :reading

ShoogarBear
10-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm just going to assume he is an idiot.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing reading your posts.

Manufan909
10-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing reading your posts.

Indeed.

CGD
10-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Not sure I buy the Blair and Scola comparison.

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
definitely not

phxspurfan
10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Not sure I buy the Blair and Scola comparison.

I'm not sure I want to go too far with it either but it just occurred to me.

Basically Blair in NCAA was like Scola in Euroleague. Undersized, below-the-rim PF. Solid post presence on offense with an array of up and under moves, tip-ins, showing success against non-NBA defenders. Good rebounder (but will it translate to the NBA)? In Scola's case, pretty much his whole game has translated well to what the Rockets are doing.

So just going by rep alone, I could see some similarities in their pre-NBA games. We shall see if Blair can show some of the qualities of experience and poise that Scola has gained by playing pro for several years already.

If you wanted to go a step further (which I won't :stirpot:) you could say that we wouldn't have needed to draft Blair at all this year if we had gotten Scola years ago.

mookie2001
10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Basically Blair in NCAA was like Scola in Euroleague. Undersized, below-the-rim PF. Solid post presence on offense with an array of up and under moves, tip-ins, showing success against non-NBA defenders. Good rebounder
i agree and im sure you watched a lot of scolas euroleague games and pitt games over the last few years

blair was a great selection and he looks good, but wait until at least december or january until we compare him to scola or duncan, or give the guy ROY

Sobe_Kucks
10-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Dude, you can quote all of the stats that you want, but just like Bruce Bowen, it's always the intangibles that count. You can't always quantify his suckiness. Yes, sometimes Bonner had monster games where he scored like the dickens. Who cares? The "let's outscore them without playing defense" experiment has failed. Bonner was a part of that.

Also, this is a forum. People sign up here and can have their voices heard. Gas station cashiers, sports writers, Hooter's girls, bank tellers all have the same amount of power on these boards. If you're really concerned about people "who don't know about NBA basketball", then why are you on a forum where fans talk? Just go and read articles written by "professionals". It's very simple, and less stress for you.

Wait... there's Hooter's girls here? I'm going to put on a better shirt and some cologne... :lol

OK seriously, I'm with you on the intangibles. Bonner doesn't have any of them. He can knock down a shot but he's not a guy I want on the floor with the game on the line. It's only pre-season and we haven't seen much crunch time (none in a real NBA game for tha matter) from DeJuan (Mr. Blair if ur nasty); but I have to think with the energy and tenacity that he's showed us so far, he's a guy who wants to be on the court and make a difference when the game is on the line. You can't teach that. You have it or you don't. In all fairness to Bonner, he hits open shots. If you were an NBA baller would you be scared to face him? Probably not. Blair on the other hand, has the potential to be a monster. Let's hope Blair turns out to be the competitive Beast he's showing signs of becoming. If his short pre-season stint is any indication, he's got the intangibles. Only time will tell :flag:

phxspurfan
10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
i agree and im sure you watched a lot of scolas euroleague games and pitt games over the last few years

blair was a great selection and he looks good, but wait until at least december or january until we compare him to scola or duncan, or give the guy ROY

Of course; I'm all over that Euro stuff like the 3 wheel cars, capri pants and what-not. I take siestas too just to learn how they roll in the Spanish leagues.

But seriously everyone knows that's what Scola does -- it's common knowledge and doesn't take a railpass to go to all the games to find out. It's like saying Jordan's pre-draft profile said he was an athletic SG with a questionable J.

And I'm not comparing their NBA games. I just mention their characteristics and questions about them before entering the NBA as a comparison and I see some vague similarities that could or could not create discussion.

wildbill2u
10-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Blair is showin Pop more than Hill did last year. If he gets in some games and plays like this against the vets, he'll get minutes. If he was a legitimate number 2 draft pick, then those guys usually can step into a playing role of some kind with their team.

duncan228
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
The DeJuan Blair Project (and Thabeet roles on) (http://mvn.com/bucksdiary/2009/10/the-dejuan-blair-project-and-thabeet-roles-on.html)

Well, Shazam!: The Man with No Knees can Play!!

Remind me again why DeJuan Blair was "redflagged" this summer? Oh, yeah, Chad Ford explained to us that some namby-pamby doctors felt Blair's knees were a risk, or that he had no knees, or no feet, or no shins (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/10/Cotton_hill.jpg/250px-Cotton_hill.jpg), or something like that. Well, in the wake of Blair's recent performances it seems that a bunch of GMs are "kicking themselves (http://twitter.com/YahooSportsNBA/status/4677215313)" for listening to those doctors and passing on Blair. You don't say??? (what a bunch of morons. Could you imagine Red Auerbach heeding the advice of some doctor who was telling him to pass on Bill Russell? Not likely... "This is unreal, fella (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IK3bvlyzpg&feature=related)?!!".)

Well, I hope they're not kicking themselves in the asses, because half of them would suffer brain damage. (note: the tweet actually says they are "cursing" themselves, but how does that set up my punch line?)

San Antonio's DeJuan Blair continues to put up weirdly Nintendo-like numbers during an exhibition season that has seen nearly every other rookie struggle. In his first exhibition game, he grabbed 19 rebounds in something like 23 minutes. Tonight, in his second NBA exhibition, he shot 11 for 13 from the field. (http://www.nba.com/games/20091011/SASMIA/boxscore.html) All of which was suggested he could do by his college record, none of which, of course, was taken seriously by draft sites -- which ludicrously rank high school point guards with "poor decision making skills" as number one overall draft picks (http://www.nba.com/games/20091011/SASMIA/boxscore.html)-- or GMs who tend to follow what other GMs think in a way that would make traditonal Groupthink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink) seem highly diversified.

Two others who are having lesser, but still impressive success are Denver's Ty Lawson and Memphis' Hasheem Thabeet. Neither player is putting up dazzling numbers, but each is playing the efficient kind of productive basketball that will win their team games.

(I liked Lawson a lot coming into the draft, but actually thought Thabeet would struggle a bit more, due to pressure to expand his game beyond its parameters. But as long as he concentrates on rebounding, blocking shots, and making easy baskets, he will make a strong win contribution to the Memphis Grizzlies this season. But, similar to the reception given to Greg Oden's rookie season, I'll bet no one will notice).

DPG21920
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, I hope they're not kicking themselves in the asses, because half of them would suffer brain damage.

Not that I agree that any GM's are kicking themselves right now over Blair, that was funny.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
nice use of time

PTI and Around the Horn have both talked about him more than once now, and it's been to clown on all the other GMs in the league.

If the ESPN daily talking heads are discussing his play, you can bet he'll get all the exposure he needs if he keeps it up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-12-2009, 05:03 PM
#1) 2.0 isn't shit. It's laughable.
#2) Let's say he had a 4.0GPA, it wouldn't be the first time an athlete had his school work done for him illegitimately. Again, it's very easy to see that he's so obviously unintelligent when hearing him speak. Has nothing to do with being black as some people are suggesting. I hardly even hear him speak ebonics, he's just generally a stupid person.

Did he steal your girlfriend or something?

Your hate on Blair is reaching ducks-on-Manu proportions.

whottt
10-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Rebounds are to Pop as crack is to a junkie....plus hopefully he'll realize he's got a ROY caliber rookie.

Also, looking back on it, when Pop has truly great rookies that are ready to play, they get their minutes. He doesn't hold them back just because they are rookies.

duncan228
10-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Spurs rookie Blair learns quickly (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/2009-10-12-spurs-rookie-blair-impresses_N.htm)
By Gary Graves, USA TODAY

MIAMI — DeJuan Blair's NBA development is just starting, but the San Antonio Spurs rookie forward is showing he can do a lot in a hurry.

He led Sunday's 95-93 victory against the Miami Heat with a game-high 28 points in 26 minutes off the bench, including the winning layup with 1:01 left.

The University of Pittsburgh product scored 13 points on seven of eight possessions during a late four-minute stretch in helping to erase a nine-point deficit.

"He threw some good passes to people out of the post, so it wasn't like he caught it and shot it every time," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Blair made his debut Oct. 6 against the Houston Rockets with a 16-point, 19-rebound effort, which Popovich said was more indicative of his ability. No wonder Popovich kidded the 20-year-old Sunday after one of his four rebounds against the Heat came on defense.

"He's a mobile, agile player even with the girth he has," Popovich said of the 6-7, 265-pounder. "He has great quickness, along with that rear end he was given. I thought he had a pretty good all-around game — except for that (one) board."

Blair leads the Spurs after three games in scoring (17.7-point average) and rebounding (8.3). But he figures to play the waiting game on a team that traded for Richard Jefferson and signed veterans Antonio McDyess and Theo Ratliff during the summer.

"They gave me the opportunity, and I'm going to take full advantage of it," said Blair, a second-round pick (37th overall) after teams worried about his history of knee trouble in high school. "Me just learning everything is going to be the key part and everything else I do is a bonus.

"That (Heat game) was just me playing off me, just showing them I can score and being the person they picked."

ooshmay
10-12-2009, 09:18 PM

Itd be pretty sweet but i really dont think he will get the court time needed to put up good stats.. I hope he has the chance tho, big Blair fan ! :ihit

Spurodamus
10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
I only said the latter. Some people have mental issues other than stupidity that prevent them from speaking fluently aloud. Since I'm not aware of Blair having any of those problems, I'm just going to assume he is an idiot.

Spurs fans who hate on DeJuan Blair have short penises.

SpurNation
10-12-2009, 09:41 PM
At this point and time (pre-season) Blair is basically doing what he is asked to do by the coaching staff.

They are testing every element of his productivity that they can see and utelize in the future.

He hasn't disappointed. It's obvious through interviews with other members on the team and coaching staff that Blair is not only willing to absorb...but produces that absorbtion on the court.

I've noted in the beginning that I think he will eventually start. A projection I still hold. But in the reality of an 82 game season...the verdict is still out if he can uphold the rigors of that type of schedule. But he is being tested by the staff. If he keeps putting up the numbers and seems to absorb not only mentally but produces physically in games...there will be no doubt he deserves a starting role next to Duncan in the near future. They would compliment each other too significantly to not have that happen if the learning curve and ability both presents itself over the course of the season.

Also...IF this young man proves to be that good...it would be a shame to ride him for a season or two off the bench knowing also that he might not have 10, 8, or even a minimal of 6 seasons to garnish his ability if his physical condition of his knees should wane the longer he plays in this league. If he proves to be a steal...a what should have been top 5 to 10 pick...he should be utelized as much and as soon as possible before the event of career ending injury might take place.

If it never happens...then the better off for him and the Spurs it would be. If it does...then at least he will have given this team more than they could have ever expected in the near (Duncan) future....maybe even another trophy.

senorglory
10-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm kinda irritated that Pop said something about blair getting only 4 rbds ( 1 defensive ). ... Thats crap, Bonner deserves to get lit into for being 6-10 and not getting rebounds. Pop doesn't get on Bonner when he misses shots ( which is what he is here for ) but he'll get on Blair for not getting enough rebounds.

Pop was making a joke when he made the 'only one defensive rebound' comment.

Indazone
10-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Dude does not compare to Scola at all. Scola plays like Kevin McHale and he can't jump at all. However, based on his rebounding and style of play and large rear end, he is more like Sir Charles Barkley more than anything else. Dude scraps for rebounds, and scores in the low post even though he's short.

Round Mound of Rebound II indeed.

senorglory
10-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Pop doesn't get on Bonner when he misses shots ( which is what he is here for ) ... All I have to say is this, Bonner has to go.

Bonner shot 268 3PA in 08-09 at .440; for the most part, he hits his shots.

ducks
10-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Bonner shot 268 3PA in 08-09 at .440; for the most part, he hits his shots.

not in big games except against boston

Blackjack
10-12-2009, 11:27 PM
I only said the latter. Some people have mental issues other than stupidity that prevent them from speaking fluently aloud. Since I'm not aware of Blair having any of those problems, I'm just going to assume he is an idiot.

That's cool.

Just wasn't sure if you were taking an unnecessary cheapshot or being an ignorant jackass.

I see now that it wasn't an either/or.:tu

ShoogarBear
10-13-2009, 05:36 AM
That's cool.

Just wasn't sure if you were taking an unnecessary cheapshot or being an ignorant jackass.

I see now that it wasn't an either/or.:tu

Nice.

greyforest
10-13-2009, 05:41 AM
pop on blair seems pretty straightforward:

"I don't want to denigrate anything he's done in the past, and I don't want to over-emphasize anything he's doing well," Popovich said Tuesday, albeit before Blair went all Dennis Rodman on the AT&T Center. "I don't know exactly where to put him yet, as far as what kind of impact he might make."

"When you're an undersized big in this league, the first thing you learn is, offensively, is it's a whole lot tougher than you thought it was going to be. When you're going after 6-10 and 7-foot guys every night, it's a lot different than college, when your ass got you over every night. Offensively, it's a comeuppance. Or, maybe he'll say, 'Pop, you're full of it,' and he's Barkley.

"We know it's not going to happen, but I want to wait and see what's going to happen offensively, because of that. Will he get down? If he does get down, how long will he be down? How will he fight back? But rebounding-wise, he can rebound with anybody. He's a monster on the boards."

Ginobilly
10-13-2009, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't say barkly, more like wes unseld!

whottt
10-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure I want to go too far with it either but it just occurred to me.

Basically Blair in NCAA was like Scola in Euroleague. Undersized, below-the-rim PF. Solid post presence on offense with an array of up and under moves, tip-ins, showing success against non-NBA defenders. Good rebounder (but will it translate to the NBA)? In Scola's case, pretty much his whole game has translated well to what the Rockets are doing.

So just going by rep alone, I could see some similarities in their pre-NBA games. We shall see if Blair can show some of the qualities of experience and poise that Scola has gained by playing pro for several years already.

If you wanted to go a step further (which I won't :stirpot:) you could say that we wouldn't have needed to draft Blair at all this year if we had gotten Scola years ago.

Scola's not particularly undersized for a PF.

Scola is like 30 this year. Scola was nowhere near an NBA level player at the age Blair is now IMHO.

There's really no comparison between Blair and Scola as far as NBA level players and the comparison you make completely ignores the age difference between the two and the late age at which Scola was deemed NBA ready.

Scola was like 28 when the Spurs dealt him, and that's something people completely ignore when discussing the Spurs dealing him and there's no doubt it was part of the reason they considered him expendable. Yeah he was was probably an NBA capable player before they dealt him but it wasn't like he screaming lottery pick at the age of 20.

temujin
10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
It's going to be a looong season of "Scola vs Blair" Posting.

buttsR4rebounding
10-13-2009, 11:57 AM

No way...Ian is still eligible since he was hurt last year. He'll be our dominant rookie...:rolleyes

whottt
10-13-2009, 12:18 PM

It's not going to be much of a comparison at all. Scola's already 30 which is the downside of the hill and the law of averages says he's either right at the end of his best days or they are already behind him....

It was definitely part of the reason the Spurs considered him tradeable with Splitter and Ian in the wings.

temujin
10-13-2009, 06:12 PM
It's not going to be much of a comparison at all. Scola's already 30 which is the downside of the hill and the law of averages says he's either right at the end of his best days or they are already behind him....

It was definitely part of the reason the Spurs considered him tradeable with Splitter and Ian in the wings.

I don't see Splitter in a Spurs uniform.

As for Mahinmi, I have to admit that I am impressed by the fact that he has played 3 -preseason but still- games without getting hurt. That's nearly half of the games he totalled with the Spurs in the previous "seasons".
If he goes on like this, by the end of the year he might get the same mileage Scola gets in a month.
Pretty darn good.

smeagol
10-13-2009, 06:49 PM
no he hasnt

hasn't you dumbfuck

rascal
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM

Blair > Scola

Blair is the steal of the draft.