PDA

View Full Version : Protected Free Speech?

Nbadan
10-12-2009, 02:29 AM
...and you thought racism was over...

UkB_tj8fGvA

MiamiHeat
10-12-2009, 04:10 AM
he has a right to criticize, including using the N word

i don't think anyone should care. just ignore him and move on with your life. he's unimportant.

he could call me anything he wants, what do i care. means nothing

people shouldnt make a big deal of stuff like that and just ignore it

DAF86
10-12-2009, 05:38 AM
why? surely you know why? whether you think it should or shouldn't have that connotation is a different matter, but let's not pretend we don't know why it does.

Have you ever seen the word "negro" censored anywhere?

George Gervin's Afro
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
he has a right to criticize, including using the N word

i don't think anyone should care. just ignore him and move on with your life. he's unimportant.

he could call me anything he wants, what do i care. means nothing

people shouldnt make a big deal of stuff like that and just ignore it

what if he calls you a gay man?

MiamiHeat
10-12-2009, 12:49 PM
what if he calls you a gay man?

what do i care? just words. move on, ignore the guy.

Spurminator
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
News reports? Internet postings? This dude is getting exactly what he wants.

Bigzax
10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
can obama say it at his backyard personal bbque's?

clambake
10-12-2009, 01:24 PM
palin would call him a real american.

.....and that place is a shithole.

jman3000
10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
That's Atlanta, Georgia. They probably have soft drinks and furniture stores with the N word in them.

I mean you can look at that guy and tell his family tree has very few branches.

FromWayDowntown
10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
It is protected speech, even if it reveals the guy to be stupid. The wonderful thing about free speech (and protecting the speech of those who choose to speak stupidly) is that there's a free market that can force him to pay for his choice of words -- if it believes them to be problematic. He can post inflammatory signs outside of his restaurant if he chooses, but those who pass by it can choose not to patronize the restaurant because he said something offensive. It's a far better check on speech than anything the government might do.

Wild Cobra
10-12-2009, 05:49 PM
It is protected speech, even if it reveals the guy to be stupid. The wonderful thing about free speech (and protecting the speech of those who choose to speak stupidly) is that there's a free market that can force him to pay for his choice of words -- if it believes them to be problematic. He can post inflammatory signs outside of his restaurant if he chooses, but those who pass by it can choose not to patronize the restaurant because he said something offensive. It's a far better check on speech than anything the government might do.
We agree. Just like the Dixie Chicks. With a primarily conservative audience, they did Bush Bashing. they had every right to say as they did, just as conservatives complained to the radio stations that continued to play their music. Freedom of speech is guaranteed, but those who don't like the message have the right to boycott at well.

doobs
10-12-2009, 06:24 PM
What a slack-jawed yokel!

And did anyone else think it was obnoxious---provocative even---for the news station to send a black reporter to confront this guy?

baseline bum
10-12-2009, 06:31 PM
What a slack-jawed yokel!

And did anyone else think it was obnoxious---provocative even---for the news station to send a black reporter to confront this guy?

Who would guess that Atlanta would have black reporters?

spursncowboys
10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't think this is protected free speech.

doobs
10-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Who would guess that Atlanta would have black reporters?

That's true, but I'm sure they also have white ones. I think they wanted fireworks, so they sent one of their black reporters.

doobs
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM

"The layman's constitutional view is that which he likes is constitutional and that which he doesn't like is unconstitutional."

iggypop123
10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
the south amazes me every day

FromWayDowntown
10-12-2009, 09:53 PM

I'd honestly be curious to know why you think that.

NoOptionB
10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
lmfao

N-Word sign, KKK doll, Nelson M & MLK framed pictures....WTF

baseline bum
10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd honestly be curious to know why you think that.

Because he doesn't believe in the first amendment.

admiralsnackbar
10-12-2009, 11:57 PM
...and you thought racism was over...

Does anybody actually believe racism is anywhere near being "over?" The civil rights movement is only 50 years old... do people really think all that ill-will just went away?

As long as we have the first amendment (which I support even when it let's clowns like this mouth off) there will always be pockets of bigotry.

Yonivore
10-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Does anybody actually believe racism is anywhere near being "over?" The civil rights movement is only 50 years old... do people really think all that ill-will just went away?

As long as we have the first amendment (which I support even when it let's clowns like this mouth off) there will always be pockets of bigotry.
Racism will never go away but, the days racism is used to deprive minorities of their constitutional rights has been gone for quite awhile.

I almost said, "the days racism is used to deprive anyone of their constitutional right," but, that isn't exactly true.

Affirmative action and other race-preference programs violate people's rights all the time.

Wild Cobra
10-13-2009, 12:12 AM

Not as long as we have people like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and nuclearfm searching for ways to keep racism alive.