PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: You've got questions, Blair's got answers

duncan228
10-12-2009, 03:49 PM
You've got questions, Blair's got answers (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/youve-got-quest.html)
By Jeff McDonald

DeJuan Blair has dominated every level of basketball he's ever experienced. He was a beast at Schenley High School in Pittsburgh, and later became an All-American at that city's flagship university.

He completely obliterated the Las Vegas summer league in July, and now is conducting his bull-in-a-china-closet business in the NBA preseason. He had 19 rebounds in his debut against Houston. He almost single-handedly won the Spurs' last game, against Miami, with 28 points -- 15 of which came in the fourth quarter.

But for all his basketball life, no matter the domination, no matter the opponent, the response to Blair has been consistent: He's great and all, but what happens when he gets to the next level?

Blair has heard this line of reasoning more than once, that his game will not completely translate to next-level domination. He prefers to offer his rebuttal on the court.

"I try not to listen to negativity," Blair said. "I only allow positive thoughts in my day."

The skepticism is fair: There isn't much of a track record for successful 6-foot-7 interior players in the NBA, especially when that player appears to be much closer to 6-5.

Before the start of Blair's inaugural preseason, even coach Gregg Popovich had his questions. He wasn't sure if Blair would ever have a natural matchup on the defensive end. When the Spurs face the Lakers, for example, who does he guard? Pau Gasol? Andrew Bynum? Lamar Odom?

He also wondered if Blair could develop enough of an offensive game to keep opposing teams honest -- and keep the Spurs from having to play 4-on-5 at that end of the floor.

Those questions are still valid, and still unanswered.

However, with a pair of monster games in the preseason already, Blair has stated his case. He deserves a spot in the Spurs' big-man rotation. Even Popovich sounds closer to being convinced, judging by his comments after Sunday's Blair-fueled victory over the Heat.

Blair's monster games, of course, come with the usual caveat. He piled up rebounds against a Houston lineup devoid of a player taller than 6-foot-9. He piled up the points against a Miami team sans Jermaine O'Neal, and not exactly known for its low-post defense.

How will Blair fare when the games begin to count, and the competition gets stiffer? Blair has heard this question before, and he's always answered.

"I'm just going to do what I do," he said.

Spurs Brazil
10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
You've got questions, Blair's got answers
By Jeff McDonald on Oct 12, 09 02:32 PM

DeJuan Blair has dominated every level of basketball he's ever experienced. He was a beast at Schenley High School in Pittsburgh, and later became an All-American at that city's flagship university.

He completely obliterated the Las Vegas summer league in July, and now is conducting his bull-in-a-china-closet business in the NBA preseason. He had 19 rebounds in his debut against Houston. He almost single-handedly won the Spurs' last game, against Miami, with 28 points -- 15 of which came in the fourth quarter.

But for all his basketball life, no matter the domination, no matter the opponent, the response to Blair has been consistent: He's great and all, but what happens when he gets to the next level?

Blair has heard this line of reasoning more than once, that his game will not completely translate to next-level domination. He prefers to offer his rebuttal on the court.

"I try not to listen to negativity," Blair said. "I only allow positive thoughts in my day."

The skepticism is fair: There isn't much of a track record for successful 6-foot-7 interior players in the NBA, especially when that player appears to be much closer to 6-5.

Before the start of Blair's inaugural preseason, even coach Gregg Popovich had his questions. He wasn't sure if Blair would ever have a natural matchup on the defensive end. When the Spurs face the Lakers, for example, who does he guard? Pau Gasol? Andrew Bynum? Lamar Odom?

He also wondered if Blair could develop enough of an offensive game to keep opposing teams honest -- and keep the Spurs from having to play 4-on-5 at that end of the floor.

Those questions are still valid, and still unanswered.

However, with a pair of monster games in the preseason already, Blair has stated his case. He deserves a spot in the Spurs' big-man rotation. Even Popovich sounds closer to being convinced, judging by his comments after Sunday's Blair-fueled victory over the Heat.

Blair's monster games, of course, come with the usual caveat. He piled up rebounds against a Houston lineup devoid of a player taller than 6-foot-9. He piled up the points against a Miami team sans Jermaine O'Neal, and not exactly known for its low-post defense.

How will Blair fare when the games begin to count, and the competition gets stiffer? Blair has heard this question before, and he's always answered.

"I'm just going to do what I do," he said.
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/youve-got-quest.html

Dex
10-12-2009, 03:51 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136554

By a minute....228 is quick like ninja. :lol

Spurs Brazil
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
:lol

phxspurfan
10-12-2009, 03:55 PM
lol...try again next time

I. Hustle
10-12-2009, 04:06 PM
The article so nice you read it twice

SCdac
10-12-2009, 04:13 PM
God I hope Pop plays this guy. Even if he encounters foul trouble, makes rookie mistakes, etc. The team could use new blood and new variations out there. We've needed a player like this the past couple of seasons.

djohn14
10-12-2009, 04:29 PM
If Pops dosent play Blair I will be pissed. He dosent have to give him even backup mins at the start of the season, even though it looks like he will have earned them by then, but Damn if Pops dosent play him, he is a fool, a damn fool.

NoOptionB
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
When the Spurs face the Lakers, for example, who does he guard? Pau Gasol? Andrew Bynum? Lamar Odom?

Kobe.

Lock. Down.

angelbelow
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM
When the Spurs face the Lakers, for example, who does he guard? Pau Gasol? Andrew Bynum? Lamar Odom?

We'll just have to wait and see, I currently don't think he'll have much success against Pau or Lamar.

Blair will really have to develop great timing and along with his long arms to be effective.

NRHector
10-12-2009, 04:35 PM
When the Spurs face the Lakers, for example, who does he guard? Pau Gasol? Andrew Bynum? Lamar Odom?the question is when the spurs face the lakers who is going to guard him?:toast

Flux451
10-12-2009, 04:37 PM

The real question is how are all three going to guard him at the same time?

dougp
10-12-2009, 04:37 PM
We'll just have to wait and see, I currently don't think he'll have much success against Pau or Lamar.

Blair will really have to develop great timing and along with his long arms to be effective.

He's our single possession defender on Artest. Almost rip off Artest's arm going for a rebound and cause him to get ejected.

CIA guys, CIA ...

barbacoataco
10-12-2009, 04:38 PM
He could guard Odom for stretches. Blair has the strength to keep odom out of position and I don't think odom has the speed anymore to go around him. Blair has the standing reach of a 6'10-11" player so the whole size thing is kind of overrated since you don't grab rebounds or block shots with your head.

Flux451
10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
but seriously. As far as I have seen from Blair. I think he would have the best chance with bynum. Mainly because he is the least experienced of the three and Blair wouldn't have to worry about the crafty ways of the two vets.

Time will tell. Can't wait.

DPG21920
10-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Yes. Blair has had one outstanding rebound game given his minutes, but after that against the Heat he played 25 minutes and had 4 rebounds and against Olympiacos he had 2 in 11 minutes.

I don't see him getting more than 20 MPG and there is no way he averages 10 boards per game in that time.

Flux451
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Does anyone still think my pre-training camp prediction of Blair averaging 8 and 10 is unlikely?

NEver saw that prediction, but sounds good to me.

xtremesteven33
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Blair/Odom would be a tremendous matchup....:tu

K-State Spur
10-12-2009, 04:47 PM

keep focusing on his height. nevermind that his vertical reach is equivalent to that of most 6'9 and 6'10 players.

i'm not worried, Pop found a way to effectively use Malik Rose against the self proclaimed most dominant big man ever.

phxspurfan
10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
keep focusing on his height. nevermind that his vertical reach is equivalent to that of most 6'9 and 6'10 players.

i'm not worried, Pop found a way to effectively use Malik Rose against the self proclaimed most dominant big man ever.

LOL that's a sorry example man. We signed guys like Mark Bryant to try to guard him since everyone (including Malik) would foul out in 5 minutes against Shaq. We also got swept out of the playoffs 4-0 during the time Malik used to guard Shaq.

weebo
10-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Personally, I dont think his height will be an issue. And Rose could guard positions from 1-5. Blair on the other hand will be forced to come out and play a guy like Odom from the three point line.

Probably won't guard any of those guys, atleast not this year. He'll probably go against the laker's sceond unit. TD, McD, Ratliff, and Bonner will get the majority of minutes going against the laker's frontline.

Interrohater
10-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Personally, I dont think his height will be an issue. And Rose could guard positions from 1-5. Blair on the other hand will be forced to come out and play a guy like Odom from the three point line.

Odom is a career 31% 3 point shooter. Let 'em fly Lamar.

phxspurfan
10-12-2009, 05:14 PM
And Rose could guard positions from 1-5.

:vomit:

Spurs Brazil
10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Does anyone still think my pre-training camp prediction of Blair averaging 8 and 10 is unlikely?

If we can get 7pts 7rebs from Blair I'd be very happy

Spursmania
10-12-2009, 05:25 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136554

By a minute....228 is quick like ninja. :lol

Duncan228 is quick like Ninja, seriously. I posted something yesterday then realized Duncan228 had posted it way before I did. I deleted the post. :lol

Spursmania
10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Huh!!! You guys can stop worrying, Pop will play Blair, but you have to wonder how he's able to guard Odom or Pau.

Who would Blair guard will be really interesting to see. He's probably going to get eaten up alive numerous times, until he starts getting the defensive rotations down and plays some solid minutes in the games ahead. I'm glad we play 4 times.:toast

wildbill2u
10-12-2009, 06:59 PM

He breaks them down into edible pieces.

TIMMYD!
10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
He breaks them down into edible pieces.
:lol:lol:lol

Whisky Dog
10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Don't have to worry about Odom anymore. That ugly kardashian chick is gonna fuck his game up just like her sister did to Reggie bush for the last few years.

Samr
10-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Don't have to worry about Odom anymore. That ugly kardashian chick is gonna fuck his game up just like her sister did to Reggie bush for the last few years.

Yep, sleeping with a fat chick will do that to your self-confidence.

ezau
10-12-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't think Blair would have the versatility to handle Odom. Gasol meanwhile is just too long and too smart so he's going to have a very tough time handling him. Bynum is my best best and at 265, Blair is even heavier than him.

Russ
10-12-2009, 09:04 PM
You've got questions, Blair's got answers (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/youve-got-quest.html)
By Jeff McDonald

The template is Wes Unseld. Blair looks like a modern-day Wes Unseld. (Although I don't think he'll win Rookie of the Year and MVP in the same year like Wes.):flag:

Marcus Bryant
10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper879/stills/hi31lzym.jpg

#2!
10-12-2009, 09:20 PM
blair vs. the lakers actually does present a matchup problem for the spurs so I won't expect him against them too much this year, but thats why we have duncan, dyess, theo, and mahinmi. So Pop is the answer to that problem, unless blair proves everyone wrong on this too.

but if mbenga, or powell get in the game, look out...

CGD
10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
He is "undersized" in the traditional sense at 6' 6". But I think his awesome wingspan and standing reach allow him to play (and hopefully defend) at a 6' 9". If anything his lateral movement, not his height, will be the issue on D.

ooshmay
10-12-2009, 09:21 PM

I think its unlikely only based on my thought that he wont get much court time to produce numbers like that.. not that he cant because i think he is a beast but i just dont see the minutes being available in the rotation for him.

U DONT NEED ACL'S TO PLAY IN THE LEAGUE!

mystargtr34
10-12-2009, 09:30 PM
I think its proven that shorter burlier guys can use their strength to their advantage over taller, more skilled players. They can push them off their favoured block position and not allow them to back them down, forcing them into turnaround jumpers or hooks from more uncomfortable positions. Chuck Hayes is a good example, he gave Gasol quite a few problems in their series last playoffs by doing exactly that, and as skilled as they are, you know softer guys like Pau or even an Aldridge dont like to be pushed around and have an elbow or forearm stuck into their back.

Obviously you cant expect Blair to guard a guy as good as Gasol for 40 minutes, because hes just too big and too skilled... but throwing him out their to defend him for 10-15 minutes a night could really cause some problems for Pau and other bigger, leaner guys.

SpurNation
10-12-2009, 09:49 PM
He could guard Odom for stretches. Blair has the strength to keep odom out of position and I don't think odom has the speed anymore to go around him. Blair has the standing reach of a 6'10-11" player so the whole size thing is kind of overrated since you don't grab rebounds or block shots with your head.

Ironically...he does use his head...and that's what makes him so good. :toast

Talent is nothing unless you have the brains to use it effectively.

Danny.Zhu
10-12-2009, 10:25 PM

I think Blair can only get some minutes when facing Lakers' bench.

But more importantly, Blair can lower Duncan's minutes during regular season and off season, so Duncan can be healthy when matching up against Lakers. And that's enough contribution from Blair I think.

Em-City
10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I think Blair can only get some minutes when facing Lakers' bench.

But more importantly, Blair can lower Duncan's minutes during regular season and off season, so Duncan can be healthy when matching up against Lakers. And that's enough contribution from Blair I think.

^^^^^^ what i'm thinkin..

EricB
10-12-2009, 10:36 PM
The guy learns fast.

I don't know where everyone gets this "he can't guard Bynum" horsecrap.

Not hard to guard someone laying on the floor holding their damn knee.