PDA

View Full Version : Roy struggling, worried about his touches

DPG21920
10-12-2009, 04:28 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/inside_the_blazers_roy_adlridg.html

A simmering feeling of unrest among the top two players on the Trail Blazers was put at ease late Friday night by coach Nate McMillan, who assured stars Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge that the bulk of the teams offense would run through them.

McMillan summoned Roy to the front of the team's private jet to tell him that from here on, the preseason will focus less on experimentation and more on the proven offense of last season, when Roy and Aldridge were the dominant players.

Both Roy and Aldridge had privately expressed confusion and unease with the direction of the teams' play in the first three exhibition games, when McMillan experimented liberally with lineups and play calls.

"We have to learn as we go, but it's definitely going to be different for us,'' Aldridge said after the second game in Sacramento, when he scored three points on five attempts in 24 minutes. "There's going to be a learning curve for all of us. There's a lot of talent out there, but not a lot of touches.''

Before Friday night’s conversation, Roy, in particular, was struggling with what appeared to be a drastically different role. With an early emphasis on feeding the ball to center Greg Oden and letting incoming point guard Andre Miller make plays, Roy rarely handled the ball. That took away his specialty — the pick-and-roll — and left him aimlessly roaming the perimeter, where his outside shot has yet to round into shape.

In the first three games, Roy was averaging 9.3 points while shooting 32 percent from the field (8-for-25) in just more than 24 minutes a game.

"It's almost like my rookie year again — trying to figure out where I am in the offense,'' Roy said in Sacramento after the team's second preseason game. "I have gotten used to the ball coming to me, I didn't have to go try and find it. But now I'm in a position where I have to search the ball out and be more aggressive. So, I don't know.''

When asked how he felt about having the ball less, Roy was again put in a new position — unable to put his thoughts into words.

"I don't know yet, honestly. I've thought about it, but I don't know how I feel yet,'' Roy said. "It's definitely not cool, because I feel like I'm still young and there's a lot I can do.

But I don't know how I feel. I have to let it play out a little more. Because, it's the preseason. The minutes aren't there yet, the rotations aren't set yet. So, I'm not getting too caught up in it — yet. But, you know, it's something that's lingering there. For sure.''

All that apprehension was put at ease Friday night when McMillan used what by now has become a common practice — calling Roy to sit with him on the plane to discuss the team's future.

"He said he understands why I have been a little confused at how we've been going,'' Roy said Saturday. "He said he really wanted to use these preseason games for Greg to build his confidence and for Andre to play somewhat free and just make plays. He told me not to worry about the offense. He said there will come a time when he establishes that we will play through me and LaMarcus.''

That time apparently will start on Wednesday in the fourth of the Blazers' eight preseason games. Roy said McMillan is leaning toward starting Miller, Roy, Martell Webster, Aldridge and Oden for the Suns game, during which some, but not as much, experimentation will occur.

When the team plays its sixth and seventh preseason games — Oct. 18 at home against Denver and Oct. 20 at home against Utah — the regular-season plays and rotations will be used. Roy said McMillan told him that he and other prominent starters won't play in the preseason finale Oct. 22 in Vancouver, B.C.

"But he told me not to worry, that the offense is still going to be played through me,'' Roy said. "As much as I need the ball, then that's what the team is going to continue to do."

While the Friday meeting on the plane was a welcomed conversation, it didn't change Roy's assertion that this is the most important preseason in his four years. Never before have the Blazers had so much competition, so many options, and so much diversity. There is a lot to figure out, Roy says, and they better do it in the preseason.

"This is a really important preseason and my job as a captain of this team is I have to start to stress that to the guys,'' Roy said. "We are just kind of flowing right now, and I think we have to take it a little more serious and that is going to start with me and, of course, LaMarcus. We can't keep playing these games to get them over with, we have to start getting something out of them.

"So on Wednesday, I'm going to be aggressive. I can't try to fit in anymore, I got to play to get something out of it,'' Roy said. "Because I don't want to be going into the first game and there be confusion there.''

Probably the biggest question remaining is what teammates are best suited to play with Roy and Aldridge.

In the last game, Miller and Roy started in the backcourt for the first time. It was an awkward pairing. On one play, Roy called for the ball and didn't get it, as Miller opted to pass to a posting Oden on the other side of the court. Another time, when Roy did get the ball, he was stifled when Miller was unable to clear his defender from the area Roy wanted to go.

At any rate, Roy is anxious to give it another go with Miller on Wednesday.

"It's weird, because when I play with (Steve) Blake, I'm used to Blake spacing and stretching the defense. Whereas with Andre, there's gonna be somewhat of a learning curve there,'' Roy said.

"The biggest thing Andre and I are going to have to build on is our spacing, because me and Blake had it. It was like, if I went off a screen, Blake knew where to be. (Friday) night, Andre was kind of in certain positions where he didn't fully know our spacing. But it was also the first time we tried it. I think that's something we are going to have to work on. Once he gets his spacing down,I will be able to make my reads better and he will be able to make his.''

Whether Miller and Roy develop any cohesion in the next two weeks will be the ultimate factor in whether Miller gets his wish to start. But McMillan is sounding more and more like he favors two units that are equally balanced with the ability to run pick-and-rolls, post up and defend. Miller and Roy are the team's two best pick-and-roll players.

Also, the balanced units help alleviate the inevitable pressures that began to worry Roy and Aldridge last week — a lot of talent, not enough touches. By sprinkling the talented offensive players among two units, it better enables players to get more shots. It's why McMillan was experimenting so heavily with lineups in the first three games, often at the expense of Aldridge and Roy.

"So I understand how (Aldridge and Roy) could be sitting there trying to figure out where they are,'' McMillan said after Friday night’ game. "But it's all part of figuring this thing out. Me figuring out a rhythm and a rotation. Me figuring out plays and combinations so we can get guys the ball.

“But the reason you come up with starting units is to try and balance both units so that guys can get touches. That's why your best five may not be the best starting five. But we won't lose Brandon. We won't lose LaMarcus. They are option one and option two.'

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2009, 04:31 PM
This was a reason acquiring Andre Miller wasn't as good of a fit as it looks on paper. The two of their games don't coincide.

DPG21920
10-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I have plenty of these articles. Blazers have the talent, but do they have the mental fortitude to pull it together.

DPG21920
10-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I have to roll them out slowly.

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I thought they cleared Miller thru Roy first?

MaNu4Tres
10-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I have plenty of these articles. Blazers have the talent, but do they have the mental fortitude to pull it together.

They have the mental fortitude it's just that Miller and Roy's games don't go well together. That's just an obvious fact to anyone who has watched their games throughout their career.

Roy needs the ball to be effective and when he has the ball it puts the Blazers in the best position to succeed because of his elite pick and roll game that is hard to be stopped.

Having Andre Miller only takes away from those opportunities because he needs the ball to be effective as well. When Roy has the ball with Miller on the court, then Miller is transformed into a spot up shooter which is something he is below average at.

Overrated move by the Blazers but for the money I guess its okay.

Goodluck to them though.

Lars
10-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Good thing for Miller's veteran leadership!

DJB
10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Uh oh... Tlong's nowhere to be found in these recent threads.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-12-2009, 05:20 PM
yeah where is tlong

Morg1411
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM

So as not to push TLong over the edge too quickly.... :lol

Ginobilly
10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/inside_the_blazers_roy_adlridg.html

A simmering feeling of unrest among the top two players on the Trail Blazers was put at ease late Friday night by coach Nate McMillan, who assured stars Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge that the bulk of the teams offense would run through them.

McMillan summoned Roy to the front of the team's private jet to tell him that from here on, the preseason will focus less on experimentation and more on the proven offense of last season, when Roy and Aldridge were the dominant players.

Both Roy and Aldridge had privately expressed confusion and unease with the direction of the teams' play in the first three exhibition games, when McMillan experimented liberally with lineups and play calls.

"We have to learn as we go, but it's definitely going to be different for us,'' Aldridge said after the second game in Sacramento, when he scored three points on five attempts in 24 minutes. "There's going to be a learning curve for all of us. There's a lot of talent out there, but not a lot of touches.''

Before Friday night’s conversation, Roy, in particular, was struggling with what appeared to be a drastically different role. With an early emphasis on feeding the ball to center Greg Oden and letting incoming point guard Andre Miller make plays, Roy rarely handled the ball. That took away his specialty — the pick-and-roll — and left him aimlessly roaming the perimeter, where his outside shot has yet to round into shape.

In the first three games, Roy was averaging 9.3 points while shooting 32 percent from the field (8-for-25) in just more than 24 minutes a game.

"It's almost like my rookie year again — trying to figure out where I am in the offense,'' Roy said in Sacramento after the team's second preseason game. "I have gotten used to the ball coming to me, I didn't have to go try and find it. But now I'm in a position where I have to search the ball out and be more aggressive. So, I don't know.''

When asked how he felt about having the ball less, Roy was again put in a new position — unable to put his thoughts into words.

"I don't know yet, honestly. I've thought about it, but I don't know how I feel yet,'' Roy said. "It's definitely not cool, because I feel like I'm still young and there's a lot I can do.

But I don't know how I feel. I have to let it play out a little more. Because, it's the preseason. The minutes aren't there yet, the rotations aren't set yet. So, I'm not getting too caught up in it — yet. But, you know, it's something that's lingering there. For sure.''

All that apprehension was put at ease Friday night when McMillan used what by now has become a common practice — calling Roy to sit with him on the plane to discuss the team's future.

"He said he understands why I have been a little confused at how we've been going,'' Roy said Saturday. "He said he really wanted to use these preseason games for Greg to build his confidence and for Andre to play somewhat free and just make plays. He told me not to worry about the offense. He said there will come a time when he establishes that we will play through me and LaMarcus.''

That time apparently will start on Wednesday in the fourth of the Blazers' eight preseason games. Roy said McMillan is leaning toward starting Miller, Roy, Martell Webster, Aldridge and Oden for the Suns game, during which some, but not as much, experimentation will occur.

When the team plays its sixth and seventh preseason games — Oct. 18 at home against Denver and Oct. 20 at home against Utah — the regular-season plays and rotations will be used. Roy said McMillan told him that he and other prominent starters won't play in the preseason finale Oct. 22 in Vancouver, B.C.

"But he told me not to worry, that the offense is still going to be played through me,'' Roy said. "As much as I need the ball, then that's what the team is going to continue to do."

While the Friday meeting on the plane was a welcomed conversation, it didn't change Roy's assertion that this is the most important preseason in his four years. Never before have the Blazers had so much competition, so many options, and so much diversity. There is a lot to figure out, Roy says, and they better do it in the preseason.

"This is a really important preseason and my job as a captain of this team is I have to start to stress that to the guys,'' Roy said. "We are just kind of flowing right now, and I think we have to take it a little more serious and that is going to start with me and, of course, LaMarcus. We can't keep playing these games to get them over with, we have to start getting something out of them.

"So on Wednesday, I'm going to be aggressive. I can't try to fit in anymore, I got to play to get something out of it,'' Roy said. "Because I don't want to be going into the first game and there be confusion there.''

Probably the biggest question remaining is what teammates are best suited to play with Roy and Aldridge.

In the last game, Miller and Roy started in the backcourt for the first time. It was an awkward pairing. On one play, Roy called for the ball and didn't get it, as Miller opted to pass to a posting Oden on the other side of the court. Another time, when Roy did get the ball, he was stifled when Miller was unable to clear his defender from the area Roy wanted to go.

At any rate, Roy is anxious to give it another go with Miller on Wednesday.

"It's weird, because when I play with (Steve) Blake, I'm used to Blake spacing and stretching the defense. Whereas with Andre, there's gonna be somewhat of a learning curve there,'' Roy said.

"The biggest thing Andre and I are going to have to build on is our spacing, because me and Blake had it. It was like, if I went off a screen, Blake knew where to be. (Friday) night, Andre was kind of in certain positions where he didn't fully know our spacing. But it was also the first time we tried it. I think that's something we are going to have to work on. Once he gets his spacing down,I will be able to make my reads better and he will be able to make his.''

Whether Miller and Roy develop any cohesion in the next two weeks will be the ultimate factor in whether Miller gets his wish to start. But McMillan is sounding more and more like he favors two units that are equally balanced with the ability to run pick-and-rolls, post up and defend. Miller and Roy are the team's two best pick-and-roll players.

Also, the balanced units help alleviate the inevitable pressures that began to worry Roy and Aldridge last week — a lot of talent, not enough touches. By sprinkling the talented offensive players among two units, it better enables players to get more shots. It's why McMillan was experimenting so heavily with lineups in the first three games, often at the expense of Aldridge and Roy.

"So I understand how (Aldridge and Roy) could be sitting there trying to figure out where they are,'' McMillan said after Friday night’ game. "But it's all part of figuring this thing out. Me figuring out a rhythm and a rotation. Me figuring out plays and combinations so we can get guys the ball.

“But the reason you come up with starting units is to try and balance both units so that guys can get touches. That's why your best five may not be the best starting five. But we won't lose Brandon. We won't lose LaMarcus. They are option one and option two.'

This is why the blazers will never win when it counts. They don't have the mental stability and patience to take it to the next level. Have we ever heard Duncan, Ginobili, or Parker crying about touches? Hell no! Those guys just care about winning, and stats don't matter to these guys. It don't matter if Blair scores 40, or Mcdyess grabs 30 rebounds, just as long they see a W on the win column. Roy needs a lot of growing up to do. "I don't know what to do" boo hoo, cry me a fuckin river! Run around like Ginobili and cut to the basket, or play some defense, grab a rebound,etc.

DJB
10-12-2009, 05:33 PM
This is why the blazers will never win when it counts. They don't have the mental stability and patience to take it to the next level. Have we ever heard Duncan, Ginobili, or Parker crying about touches? Hell no! Those guys just care about winning, and stats don't matter to these guys. It don't matter if Blair scores 40, or Mcdyess grabs 30 rebounds, just as long they see a W on the win column. Roy needs a lot of growing up to do. "I don't know what to do" boo hoo, cry me a fuckin river! Run around like Ginobili and cut to the basket, or play some defense, grab a rebound,etc.

That's because Nate McMillan's not Gregg Poppovich.

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 05:41 PM
That's because Nate McMillan's not Gregg Poppovich.

& there ain't no % in Media carving up San Antonio.

The Franchise
10-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Why doesn't Tlong post the negative shit as well? When you're worrying about your touches I don't think teamwork is tops on your priorities list. :stirpot:

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Why doesn't Tlong post the negative shit as well? When you're worrying about your touches I don't think teamwork is tops on your priorities list. :stirpot:

It's disappointing to see t act this way. What a puss.

lil_penny
10-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Jesus tittie fucking chriiiiiiiiiiiiiisssstt!!!!!!

Spursfan092120
10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
lol...fuck that..bring em out as often as TLong does...TLong drops a Blazers article, you drop one...that'd be beautiful.

Spurs Brazil
10-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Blazers is a mess

They may be the Jail Blazers again in the end of the season

TIMMYD!
10-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Good news for the other west teams.

djohn2oo8
10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Pritchard is lookin like a genius right about now :rollin

Spursfan092120
10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Jesus tittie fucking chriiiiiiiiiiiiiisssstt!!!!!!
I'll actually apologize to you man...you're the good Portland fan. :)

Leetonidas
10-12-2009, 08:25 PM
God damn the Blazers team is one big group of whiny pussies.

ElNono
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
This guy is moaning in the Preseason??? Wow, what a prima donna.

djohn2oo8
10-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Let's play a game of where's T-Long?

tlongII
10-12-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm right here. It's going to be fun watching us roll over the rest of the league for the next 10 years! :lol

crc21209
10-12-2009, 08:59 PM
What happened to Roy being of the most "humble" guys in the game? So much for that I guess....

SenorSpur
10-12-2009, 09:46 PM
What happened to Roy being of the most "humble" guys in the game? So much for that I guess....

That's what I originally heard about him too. I guess a lil' stardom and so many folks telling him how great he is has finally gone to Roy's head. I'm sure he is a good guy and all, but he's starting to sound like a Terrell Owens starter kit.

As for that lil' bitch Pritchard, he may have saved face by finally landing a fish like Miller at the of the summer, but time will tell whether Miller will be a personality fit for this young team. It should be a bit disconcerting to any Blazers fan that waves are already surfacing and the season hasn't even begun! In fact, it will be interesting to see how Bitchard, his giant ego, and McMillian try to manuever through this somewhat-sticky situation.

djohn2oo8
10-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm right here. It's going to be fun watching us getting rolled over by everyone in the league for the next 10 years! :lol

fixed

NoOptionB
10-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Whatever happened to I'm the coach, stfu.

iggypop123
10-12-2009, 10:08 PM
sheesh. he gets his money and he thinks he is jordan

duncan228
10-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Better D next step in Roy's growth (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/brian_hendrickson/10/12/roy.blazers/index.html)
Brian Hendrickson
SI.com

Brandon Roy didn't raise an eyebrow when Nate McMillan called during the summer and issued his challenge.

The Trail Blazers' All-Star guard and his coach had been talking regularly in the offseason, tossing back and forth ideas for what Roy should focus on to improve his game. His new maximum-level contract -- estimated at more than $80 million -- was in hand. He was the Blazers' unquestioned leader and their offensive centerpiece.

What should be the next step? The pair bantered about the topic until McMillan called one day, assured he had the answer.

Make the All-Defensive team.

"You should make a goal to defend on a high level every night," Roy said McMillan told him. "Not only would it take us as a team to the next level, but it would take me to that next level as a player that I want to be at."

The thought clicked immediately in Roy's head. He knew McMillan was right, even though the Blazers' rapid rise to success had depended largely on Roy's offensive achievements.

Portland certainly wouldn't have won 54 games last season without Roy burying a 30-foot game-winner at the buzzer against Houston early in the year, or scoring 52 points in a tight victory over Phoenix. His short career is already stuffed with those moments, when the developing Blazers -- still one of the league's youngest teams -- needed to ride their leader's hot hand. It was necessary at the time, Roy said. But things are changing.

LaMarcus Aldridge is blossoming into an All-Star-caliber forward. Rudy Fernandez has added flair to the perimeter. Greg Oden brings a potentially imposing presence to the frontcourt, and a handful of athletic small forwards add options on the wing. There should be enough talent throughout the rotation to reduce the pressure on Roy to carry the Blazers every night. Enough, he believes, to afford him more focus on the defensive end.

"This is just the next natural progression in my game," Roy said. "A lot of people may say I got my contract because of scoring. But I think I got my contract because I am all-around, I'm versatile, and I'm always looking for ways to improve my game."

McMillan doesn't view his challenge to Roy as unique, though. In fact, Roy is following the same process that McMillan has seen numerous other young stars take. Like Roy, players commonly earn their spots in the NBA because of their offense. They establish themselves on that end and use it to secure their big payday. Then when they get truly serious about winning, McMillan said, they start focusing on defense.

It's a pattern that can be seen even in the sport's greatest players. Kobe Bryant took until his fourth season to make his first of nine All-Defensive teams -- the same year he won his first NBA title. Michael Jordan also took until his fourth year to get the honor, and it just happened to be the same year that his Bulls posted a winning record and advanced beyond the opening round of the playoffs for the first time since his arrival.

Now Roy has reached that same point.

"All the good players who win big -- All-Stars who are not only All-Stars, but who win at a high level -- they all do that," McMillan said. "We know that this was what he needed to do. He can do it. And he knows he can do it."

Roy has already been a defensive difference maker in short bursts. Just look to Portland's comeback victory at Atlanta on Jan. 27, 2008, for a prime example: Roy forced two turnovers and blocked a shot in the final 2:47 while scoring eight unanswered points to rally the Blazers to a one-point win. In stretches like that, Roy said he would grade himself as an "A" defender.

But he admits that grade would slide as low as a C-plus for his performances in complete games. Though far from a liability, he also couldn't commit the energy required to excel on defense when the trade-off meant conserving himself with reduced playing time or fewer shot attempts. Out of necessity, Roy said he had to save himself for where the Blazers truly needed him.

Roy, however, has always been about doing what was necessary. He has long maintained that scoring isn't a personal need; it was what his team required. And Portland's playoff loss to Houston last spring showed it isn't a fix-all. The Blazers got out-toughed by a physical defense in that series, even though Roy's scoring average increased four points in the postseason. It was one of the moments that made it clear: Offense isn't enough.

So Roy nodded his clear understanding when McMillan issued his challenge. He'd been a leader for years, but never on the defensive end. And he'd made clutch plays countless times, though they came through big shots and key passes far more often than clutch steals or blanketing coverage. As Roy looks to take the next step, he is convinced that the essential adjustment will be to change those priorities.

"I want them to instill it in me to always think defense," Roy said. "My offense will come, but that's not my focus anymore."

Spursmania
10-13-2009, 12:45 AM
:violin They need to stop the whining...

DPG21920
10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Aldridge is not happy about his touches or his contract extension.

tlongII
10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Non-issue.

Morg1411
10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Non-issue.

:lol

redzero
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Brandon Roy is garbage.

Durant > Roy

hater
10-13-2009, 03:26 PM
and the season hasn't started yet :lmao

Muser
10-13-2009, 04:08 PM
What a douche, I don't see how these big money players can moan and bitch all the time. You're getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a sport you love, just stfu and play.

Morg1411
10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
What a douche, I don't see how these big money players can moan and bitch all the time. You're getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a sport you love, just stfu and play.

:tu