PDA

View Full Version : Will Bynum or Odom grumble over minutes?

duncan228
10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Burning Camp Question 10: Will Bynum or Odom grumble over minutes? (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/12/burning-camp-question-10-will-bynum-or-odom-grumble-over-minutes/23177/)
by Kevin Ding
ocregister.com

Q: What are the chances the competition for playing time between Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom causes some in-season strife?

A: 76 percent.

Playing the role of hungry up-and-coming with serious personal goals and a career arc to begin bending, it’s Bynum. As the comfortable veteran confident that winning a championship one way is good reason to stay that way, here’s Odom.

You might have seen this story before with Kobe Bryant in the former role and Shaquille O’Neal in the latter.

Unless the Lakers roll through everybody with such dominance that it’s impossible for anyone on the team to complain about anything, the remake will probably feature a little tension, too. Bynum will again be bucking for more minutes, especially late. Odom isn’t the ego balloon that O’Neal is, but Odom’s recent comments (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/odom-lakers-strong-2598240-last-season) serve as a signal that he doesn’t think the Lakers need to vary much from what worked last season.

There is obviously the threat of health issues with Bynum (http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bynum-zarzana-knee-2595193-brace-lakers), but don’t think that Odom isn’t vulnerable to the injury bug, too. And it’ll be interesting to see how Odom deals if Bynum stays healthy and starts to be as productive as he should be. If those two things happen, Phil Jackson will have to work Bynum into his late-game fivesome more and more often.

If Bynum is healthy but still falling short of his personal goals, he will grumble about Jackson not using him or trusting him more; we’ve already seen that from previous seasons.

da_suns_fan
10-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Odom probably wont care. He got his contract.

TheMACHINE
10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
odom dont care.

exstatic
10-12-2009, 05:41 PM
It ain't the Lakers if there isn't a healthy dollop of drama and egos.

JamStone
10-12-2009, 05:41 PM
There's a Piston player named "Will Bynum" so the title made me double take...

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
It ain't the Lakers if there isn't a healthy dollop of drama and egos.

& 15 rings, the 15th being/sans Daddy.

Morg1411
10-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I am a broken fucking record

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
:sleep Sorry, I woke from my nap and was feeling insecure.

exstatic
10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
& 15 rings, the 15th being/sans Daddy.

No one dissed your rings. Are you denying being the drama queens of the league? It's actually a testament to your talent level that you've won 15 with all of that ego/drama shit. Imagine if the Lakers just actually shut up and played....

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 05:52 PM
No one dissed your rings. Are you denying being the drama queens of the league? It's actually a testament to your talent level that you've won 15 with all of that ego/drama shit. Imagine if the Lakers just actually shut up and played....

We aren't. Portraying us thusly though does "sell a lot newspapers". Prime example: nobody gave two shits for Artest whilst he was languishing in Sacramento and Houston, but, when he lit in Los Angeles they start dragging all his piccadillos from the last two stops into the light of day.

We've lost some we should have won...and we've won some we should have lost. I rue none of the losses cept the Finals in '84 and that series Vs. the Suns where Kobe quit in Game 7. And frankly we deserved the losses in both of my regrets series, and the '84 loss made Magic Johnson into the true Champion he became.

Morg1411
10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
We aren't. Portraying us thusly though does "sell a lot newspapers". Prime example: nobody gave two shits for Artest whilst he was languishing in Sacramento and Houston, but, when he lit in Los Angeles they start dragging all his piccadillos from the last two stops into the light of day.

+1

(My God...I agreed with something posted by Culburn......AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH)

exstatic
10-12-2009, 06:06 PM

We've lost some we should have won...and we've won some we should have lost. I rue none of the losses cept the Finals in '84 and that series Vs. the Suns where Kobe quit in Game 7. And frankly we deserved the losses in both of my regrets series, and the '84 loss made Magic Johnson into the true Champion he became.

Muthafukka, please...where there's smoke, there's fire.
lZpWJtgvm5Q
Kobe gets Shaq shipped out, and Phil not retained. Phil comes back. They bicker and fight publicly in the press. Kobe disses Bynum.

If your franchise were a bit more business-like, you wouldn't be historically owned by the Celtics and you would have the overall rings count instead of them having it in 10 fewer Finals appearances.

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 06:24 PM
lZpWJtgvm5Q
Kobe gets Shaq shipped out, and Phil not retained. Phil comes back. They bicker and fight publicly in the press. Kobe disses Bynum.

If your franchise were a bit more business-like, you wouldn't be historically owned by the Celtics and you would have the overall rings count instead of them having it in 10 fewer Finals appearances.

You've had events as well: Rodman, Tarkanian, Sweet Pea, Hill, Billy "Robinson" Graham, Moore with HIV, but, they called it Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever,

Parker and Eva, c'mon, yer telling me if he played in L.A. and tried that shit with Longoria it'd a went over so swimmingly? Yer deluded if you do, Ex. I remember when it first started and she was sitting next to Parker's father in the stands....it looked like they were pissed off royally at one another. But, they were given the benefit of the doubt and their privacy. In CA., they'd a ripped the bark off both their asses. Then when you rang that last time and he hopped up in her arms........I mean vice versa, her legs were spread so wide and her jeans were so tight, and her crevice was so deep, and her hair looked so soft, and her eyes were so bright.......Uh, where was I?

21_Blessings
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Suns where Kobe quit in Game 7.

Kobe was the only player on the Lakers that didn't quit in that game 7.

exstatic
10-12-2009, 06:41 PM
You've had events as well: Rodman, Tarkanian, Sweet Pea, Hill, Billy "Robinson" Graham, Moore with HIV, but, they called it Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever,

We weren't winning anything back then, either, were we? :toast

I think we could have won in 95, but for Rodman, so you're kind of making my point for me. Distractions can waylay even talented teams.

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Kobe was the only player on the Lakers that didn't quit in that game 7.

Then what the Hell am I referring to then, 21? It was the series where Thomas got the freak rebound, hit the three and then Bryant tried in the first half of Game 7, got Smushed & Waltoned and then wouldn't attempt a shot in the second half. Correct me if and where I'm wrong, cuz I get the two Lakers/Suns series from that era mixed up quite a bit.

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 06:44 PM
We weren't winning anything back then, either, were we? :toast

I think we could have won in 95, but for Rodman, so you're kind of making my point for me. Distractions can waylay even talented teams.

+ your own Elliott Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ pickled his own liver on MD-20. & Paultz ate too many Whoppers that one year and it cost you a ring, but, he got a nick name out of it. You ain't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

Dunc n Dave
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
+ your own Elliott Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ pickled his own liver on MD-20. & Paultz ate too many Whoppers that one year and it cost you a ring, but, he got a nick name out of it. You ain't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

:lol Cully got hit by TiMVP's old Sean Elliott mispelling reminder.

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 06:59 PM
:lol Cully got hit by TiMVP's old Sean Elliott mispelling reminder.

Cheap power trip.

exstatic
10-12-2009, 07:08 PM

See, now you're just talking stupid. Guess our discussion in this thread is done.

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 07:19 PM
See, now you're just talking stupid. Guess our discussion in this thread is done.

Don't be so touchy. I was just funnin'.

cobbler
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
lZpWJtgvm5Q

Quite possibly the largest stretch in Spurstalk history right there. You equate the Kobe/Shack era of bickering with todays team and also the 60"s Lakers?

The 60's, where the Celts beat the Lakers like 7 times in the finals was were the Lakers were owned by Celtics. From 70 on the Lakers have the clear advantage. Somrthing like 9 championships to 6.

Total rings will be caught up soon then we can put all talk of the Celts being the best organization to rest. If even today we go by the logic heard so many times on this board about how the Spurs are the team of the decade regardless that they won one less than the Lakers because they were the most consistent and didnt have those down years, then it's no contest.

Lakers...won most games ever, highest winning %, most playoff apperarences, etc etc

Not bad for a disfunctional lot.... :lmao

Allanon
10-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Vets like Fisher/Kobe/Pau/Odom don't care about minutes... touches when they're on the court is what they care about. They have their legacy and have already solidified their careers.

Bynum cares about minutes, Odom would like nothing better than to win while chillin'

If Bynum stops sucking A$$, he'll get his minutes and Odom and Pau will get less...not a problem I think.

21_Blessings
10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Then what the Hell am I referring to then, 21? It was the series where Thomas got the freak rebound, hit the three and then Bryant tried in the first half of Game 7, got Smushed & Waltoned and then wouldn't attempt a shot in the second half. Correct me if and where I'm wrong, cuz I get the two Lakers/Suns series from that era mixed up quite a bit.

The entire team save Kobe quit in OT of game 6 and then never bothered to show up to game 7.

Kobe shoots a bunch of shots in the 1st half of game 7 and the Lakers are down by 20+. Phil specifically tells Kobe to spread the ball around. Phoenix starts the second half with hard double teams 3pt line extended directed at Kobe as soon as he touches the rock. Kobe chucks up a couple tough 3 point bricks, angers Phil and then proceeds to pass to his wide open teammates watching them brick said wide open shots over and over. Phoenix continued double teaming Kobe as he immediately touched the ball.

That series would have ended up in only two ways in the media's eyes: Kobe quit! or Kobe ballhogged them out of the playoffs! Forget the fact that the Lakers had no business even making the playoffs in the first place with the trash they had on the roster.

crc21209
10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
If one of them is going to bitch about his minutes, it's going to be Bynum.

exstatic
10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Quite possibly the largest stretch in Spurstalk history right there. You equate the Kobe/Shack era of bickering with todays team and also the 60"s Lakers?
There always seems to be drama.

The 60's, where the Celts beat the Lakers like 7 times in the finals was were the Lakers were owned by Celtics. From 70 on the Lakers have the clear advantage. Somrthing like 9 championships to 6.
I'm talking strictly head to head. By my count it's 9-2 Celts.

Total rings will be caught up soon then we can put all talk of the Celts being the best organization to rest. If even today we go by the logic heard so many times on this board about how the Spurs are the team of the decade regardless that they won one less than the Lakers because they were the most consistent and didnt have those down years, then it's no contest.
Total rings won't tell the tale. The idea of going to the Prom is to bag the Prom Queen, not the homely thing. Boston has done that 85% of the time in the Finals. Do you know how many Finals LA would have to win without losing to catch that 85%? You've already lost 15, so to get to 85%, you'd have to get to 85 Finals wins with no more losses. Good luck ripping off that 70-0 Finals run.

Lakers...won most games ever, highest winning %, most playoff apperarences, etc etc

Not bad for a disfunctional lot.... :lmao
Much respect. Not the best Finals %, though, not by a lot.

Darthkiller
10-12-2009, 10:06 PM
will bynum is better than stuckey, he should start

Culburn369
10-12-2009, 10:56 PM
"Total rings won't tell the tale."

If we can garner three more/sans Boston/topsy turvy. Us topsy, everybody else turvy.

Ginobilly
10-13-2009, 08:50 AM
it's pau gasol's unselfishness, and Fischer's leadership that's keeping the lakers from imploding into egotistical territory.

Culburn369
10-13-2009, 09:48 AM
it's pau gasol's unselfishness, and Fischer's leadership that's keeping the lakers from imploding into egotistical territory.

Thank Christ for Fisher's daughter's eye goin' sour, eh?....hubba, hubba.

TheMACHINE
10-13-2009, 10:35 AM
The entire team save Kobe quit in OT of game 6 and then never bothered to show up to game 7.

Kobe shoots a bunch of shots in the 1st half of game 7 and the Lakers are down by 20+. Phil specifically tells Kobe to spread the ball around. Phoenix starts the second half with hard double teams 3pt line extended directed at Kobe as soon as he touches the rock. Kobe chucks up a couple tough 3 point bricks, angers Phil and then proceeds to pass to his wide open teammates watching them brick said wide open shots over and over. Phoenix continued double teaming Kobe as he immediately touched the ball.

That series would have ended up in only two ways in the media's eyes: Kobe quit! or Kobe ballhogged them out of the playoffs! Forget the fact that the Lakers had no business even making the playoffs in the first place with the trash they had on the roster.

Yah i remember that game. Kobe tried his hardest in the first half and were still down by a ton. Then he started passing it to Kwame alot in the 2nd and Kwame couldnt make a shot to save his life. Kobe specifically said that they cant beat the Suns even if he hits 50 points. He tried to get his teamates involved and failed.

PDXSpursFan
10-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Bynum's glass knees won't last long into the season. PT problem solved.

Culburn369
10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Blair's glass knees won't last long into the season. PT problem solved.

tee, hee.

Culburn369
10-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Yah i remember that game. Kobe tried his hardest in the first half and were still down by a ton. Then he started passing it to Kwame alot in the 2nd and Kwame couldnt make a shot to save his life. Kobe specifically said that they cant beat the Suns even if he hits 50 points. He tried to get his teamates involved and failed.

Kobe quit. Doesn't matter why. He got frustrated and quit. He needed to soldier and finish it. Anything can happen in life, but, he didn't give life a chance that 2nd half. He short circuited the process.

But, that don't mean you throw the baby out with the bath water. Jordan quit on the Bulls. Barkley quit on the Suns. Rodman quit on the Spurs. Pippen quit on the Bulls. So Kobe is in august company.