PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Chicago

resistanze
10-12-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm leaving on Saturday for a Conference in Chicago, where I'll be staying for 5 nights. I'm looking for things to do while I'm site (sightseeing). I was hoping to catch a Bears game but I think they'll be playing away that weekend.

Anyone who's been to Chicago (or not) have any good suggestions? Thanks.

Imposter
10-12-2009, 05:56 PM
eat some pizza

IronMexican
10-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Catch a Cubs playoff game. I think they're playing the Mets right now.

JamStone
10-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Depends on what kinds of things you want to do and how much time you got. They have great museums in Chicago. Museum of Science and Industry is really cool. Nightlife is ok too, but it really depends on what kind of scene, music, age group you're talking about. Blue Note has always been pretty cool. You can always try to catch a show at Second City. They really do have among the better improv comedians. Traditionally, many SNL cast members have come from Second City in Chicago. You can always go to the Nike store downtown. And you definitely have to go to Uno Pizzeria to get an original Chicago deep dish. Just a few suggestions. I haven't been to Chicago in about two years and haven't really done the sight-seeing thing for longer than that because I had family and friends there and didn't really do sight seeing, just hung out. But Chicago has a ton of cool places to go.

Jekka
10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
The Art Institute of Chicago is one of my favorite art museums in the country - it's really impressive and definitely worth going to.

CosmicCowboy
10-12-2009, 06:05 PM
Buy "Olympics 2016" T-shirts and coffee mugs on sale.

Mark in Austin
10-12-2009, 06:05 PM
There's a great documentary on a day in the life of Chicago that is full of ideas. I think it's called Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

mouse
10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Go to the top of the sears tower and take a photo.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/CAI/Images/TheLoop/SearsTower-010.jpg

Bartleby
10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
If you're looking for the late night bar scene (i.e. the bars that stay open after 2:00 am), take a cab to the intersection of Damen and Milwaukee Avenue (Wicker Park). You can also take the blue line there.

Thunder Dan
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Eat at Quartino . It's great. My favorite in Chicago. The deep dish Pizza is overrated. This is where you want to go.
http://www.quartinochicago.com/

the aquarium is cool if you like fish.

Good bars: English, Rockit, Grand Central, The Whit's rooftop if it is open

Portillo's is where you go for a hot dog. It's on Ontario across from the big McDonalds. I suggest getting a hot dog over pizza.The Pizza is overrated, but if you gotta get some, don't fall into the Girodanos tourist trap, get Lou Malnati's.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/

If you're looking for the late night bar scene (i.e. the bars that stay open after 2:00 am), take a cab to the intersection of Damen and Milwaukee Avenue (Wicker Park). You can also take the blue line there.

or you could go to Yakzi's. It's a crazy place. You will ALWAYS see a fight, always. It's on Diversey near Sheridan. It's open until 4am and it's like 75% drunk dudes fighting over the women because they couldn't pick any up at the regular bars.

Cry Havoc
10-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Zanies comedy club is one of the most well-known in the country. It's hilarious. Been there before and I don't think I've ever laughed that much in my life. Second City is also fantastic.

Food - Giordano's pizza is by far my favorite in the city. Giordano's is phenomenal, Lou Malnoti's is great, Uno's is very good, stay away from Gino's East, as the service there has sucked every time I go. I also recommend the Chicago Bagel Authority on the near north side for the best steamed bagels you've ever had in your life. Armitage Ave. in general is a great street to walk on. If you're into more expensive fare, Brazzaz is one of the best Brazilian places you'll find anywhere.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is pretty amazing and it's FREE to walk through. Can't beat that.

There's a Broadway theatre downtown that has some A-list plays touring after they leave NYC.

The various museums are amazing. My personal favorite is Shedd's Aquarium, but it's more expensive. Science and Industry is great too.

The Magnificent Mile speaks for itself, and Rush street is pretty intense.

If you're into running, you can't beat a jog along Lake Michigan. Beautiful and flat as possible means it's perfect for that.

tlongII
10-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Morton's

Brodels
10-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Go up Big John instead. A much better experience.

coyotes_geek
10-12-2009, 09:59 PM
go up big john instead. A much better experience.

+1

TDMVPDPOY
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
i say go look for 2-3 guys and beat down some innocent victim to make the news...

resistanze
10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Some great suggestions, gotta make myself a list!

samikeyp
10-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Shedd Aquarium is nice, as is Navy Pier. The train system is good too. Its cheap and goes everywhere.

jaffies
10-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Zanies comedy club is one of the most well-known in the country. It's hilarious. Been there before and I don't think I've ever laughed that much in my life. Second City is also fantastic.

You can always try to catch a show at Second City. They really do have among the better improv comedians.

Zanies books some of the bigger names in stand-up comedy as well as some good locals. But as far as improv goes, Second City has their roots in improv, but their shows do not consist of too much improvisation. There is no place that can compare to I.O. No Contest. To narrow it down for you, Sunday nights in the Cabaret theatre, show called 3033, I guarantee you improv comedy DOES NOT get better than this show.

Giordano's is phenomenal.

Gottdamright! Some people prefer different pies around the city, but it is this: If you like your deep dish with 3/4 cheese, it's Giordano's, if you like your deep dish with 3/4 crust, it's Lou Malnati's before Uno's. If you like thin crust, go somewhere that only does thin, like Chi-town or Renaldi's (fuckin awesome).

Morton's

Richer.

JudynTX
10-13-2009, 07:49 AM

It's called the Willis Tower now. :rolleyes

Shedd Aquarium is nice, as is Navy Pier. The train system is good too. Its cheap and goes everywhere.

:tu Navy Pier is a must. Michigan Ave - visit the Hershey Store. :D

Are you staying downtown Chicago? Riding the train was fun.

Thunder Dan
10-13-2009, 08:33 AM
morton's?

might as well go eat at mcdonalds :lmao
z

I agree but the Morton's in Chicago is the first one..but still

I'm telling you eat at Quarintino. It's an Italian joint where you just order a bunch of stuff and don't order a regular meal like 95% of places. Each person you go with orders a couple things and they just bring it out whenever it is ready. So you just keep getting stuff brought to your table. It's good Italian food and not that Americanized crap other joints sell. It's really an awesome place

Obama always eats there when he is in town so you know it's good.

http://www.culinaryperformance.com/uploaded_images/vince_slap_chop-723156.jpg

leemajors
10-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Mr. Beef

I. Hustle
10-13-2009, 09:17 AM
I say get dressed up in your fanciest duds and take a late night stroll on the southside. I hear if you start putting down black people it helps you fit in too.

CavsSuperFan
10-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Years ago Chicago’s most popular attraction was the Armour slaughter house…It was Americas 1st assembly line….A hog could be processed from hoof to sealed packaged in minutes….It is where Henry Ford got the idea to make an assembly line for cars….Mr. Armour invented this mechanized slaughter wheel which did the heavy lifting to keep the assembly line moving…

Round goes the wheel to the music of the squeal…The children would sing…

Armour's Slaughter Wheel... (http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4969990/184564_Full.jpg)

2centsworth
10-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Halloween is huge in Chicago.

Other than that,museums, food, shopping, site seeing.

Cry Havoc
10-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Portillo's is where you go for a hot dog. It's on Ontario across from the big McDonalds.

Sorry, but if you REALLY want the Chicago dog experience, go to Hot Doug's.

Seriously the best hot dog I've ever had in my life. Plus it's my name so it was bonus.

resistanze
10-13-2009, 08:12 PM
:tu Navy Pier is a must. Michigan Ave - visit the Hershey Store. :D

Are you staying downtown Chicago? Riding the train was fun.

Would the train be the easiest way to get around? I was thinking of buying a 7 day CTA pass. I also get free access to three of the metra rail stations.

Cry Havoc
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Would the train be the easiest way to get around? I was thinking of buying a 7 day CTA pass. I also get free access to three of the metra rail stations.

Yes. Far cheaper than renting a car and paying for parking, and a lot cheaper than getting a cab everywhere as well. The Chicago rail system is extensive and it will deposit you nearby almost anywhere you would want to go in the city. If you are familiar with public transit at all it will be a snap to understanding how to get there from the CTA stops.

resistanze
10-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Yes. Far cheaper than renting a car and paying for parking, and a lot cheaper than getting a cab everywhere as well. The Chicago rail system is extensive and it will deposit you nearby almost anywhere you would want to go in the city. If you are familiar with public transit at all it will be a snap to understanding how to get there from the CTA stops.

:toast Awesome. For a major city, Toronto has a shitty subway system. I look forward to using it.

Thunder Dan
10-13-2009, 10:11 PM
don't get too excited about the trains there in Chicago as they don't cover most of the loop. The touristy sections like Michigan Ave don't have a train close and you will either have to walk to take a bus. Make sure you get a bus map when you get there as the trains are more for locals who are commuting from the neighborhoods. Trains are good for getting from the northside to loop, but not for getting around downtown.

mouse
10-13-2009, 10:27 PM
It's called the Willis Tower now. :rolleyes

Sorry but It was back in 1986 when I was last there. We just sold coke and hung out on rush st. Earlier back in 1978 I live right above my job as a donut fryer at Thompson's bakery. They since changed the name as I can't find a picture on Google.

http://www.century21ambassador.com/images//list/res/158236/P_1194621051493_front..jpg

http://www.loopnet.com/property/16287907/7312-W-IRVING-PARK-Rd/
It was right next to Rolling stone record shop. the part time long haired pot smoking delivery driver got to fill in a few times as a keyboard player for UFO. I lost my job when I decided one Saturday night to open the store safe and rob the place. I felt guilty and confessed to the crime Mr. Thompson was real cool about it he let me work there till I payed it all back.

San Antonio seem to be boring after we moved back in 1979. I miss those Gyros,

http://order.casablancacuisine.com/images/Gyro.jpg

If you get a chance go to the Latin King part of Chicago and have you a fried pork chop plate it rocks! :tu

jaffies
10-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Hey, if you're still in town on Wednesday, the Spurs season opener is on. I'm headed to a bar to watch it. What kinda fellow SpursTalker would I be if I didn't offer to meet-up? Maybe the elusive CryHavoc can show as well.

edit: ooops, wrong week. I'll still be chillin, offer still stands.

Cry Havoc
10-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Hey, if you're still in town on Wednesday, the Spurs season opener is on. I'm headed to a bar to watch it. What kinda fellow SpursTalker would I be if I didn't offer to meet-up? Maybe the elusive CryHavoc can show as well.

edit: ooops, wrong week. I'll still be chillin, offer still stands.

I'll be in Chicago soon, don't know when though. =) Would definitely be up for a G2G.

JudynTX
10-14-2009, 07:55 AM

We stayed at a hotel on Ohio Street so we walked everywhere. In the freakin cold no less. :lol

Sorry but It was back in 1986 when I was last there. We just sold coke and hung out on rush st. Earlier back in 1978 I live right above my job as a donut fryer at Thompson's bakery. They since changed the name as I can't find a picture on Google.

http://www.century21ambassador.com/images//list/res/158236/P_1194621051493_front..jpg

http://www.loopnet.com/property/16287907/7312-W-IRVING-PARK-Rd/
It was right next to Rolling stone record shop. the part time long haired pot smoking delivery driver got to fill in a few times as a keyboard player for UFO. I lost my job when I decided one Saturday night to open the store safe and rob the place. I felt guilty and confessed to the crime Mr. Thompson was real cool about it he let me work there till I payed it all back.

Mouse, I wasn't :rolleyes at you, just at the name change of the Sears Tower. :lol

I didn't know you lived in ChiTown. :toast

LnGrrrR
10-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I had Lou Malnoti's this summer while I was in Chicago, good pizza. Can't remember where I got the Chi hot dog at... it was good though. About a block away from the park.

The strips along the beach are nice too, good for running. And of course, Sears/Willis Tower.

Now that I'll be in Hawaii, my friends decided our new meet up place is there instead of Chicago.

NFO
10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Frontera Grill is a must.

The Navy Pier is pretty cool.

Whisky Dog
10-14-2009, 08:39 PM
You want fun? Head down to Gino's East Pizzaria downtown at exactly 8:25pm and stand on the far corner. A man named Theofus will be driving by in a dark green Jag. Tell him you were sent by El Rey from Dallas and you want the "Bangkok Special".

Finest Asian hookers this side of Manhattan.

mouse
10-14-2009, 09:19 PM
I didn't know you lived in ChiTown. :toast

I hung out and stayed a few nights around the Armitage and Kinzie street area, my friend Charlie had relatives in the L/K. I could tell you some stories. We invited a few Latin Kings to a party around the Jefferson Memorial area they had guns the vatos down here still used belt buckles and knives to fight. San Antonio was never the same and I am embarrassed to think I may have played a part in the gang growth of 1979 :wakeup

Brodels
10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Devon Avenue is another favorite place of mine for good Indian food. Can't take the train there, but you can take the bus.

symple19
10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
http://blog.jimmyr.com/pics/183_25.jpg