View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys want to get WR Miles Austin more involved

Spursfan092120
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Thank God...

Updated: October 12, 2009, 5:21 PM ET
Receiver makes big splash in first start

By Tim MacMahon

ESPNDallas.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/tim-macmahon/)

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/1011/nfl_a_milesaustin2_288.jpg

IRVING, Texas -- Coach Wade Phillips made it clear that Miles Austin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10147) wouldn't spend much time on the sideline when the Dallas Cowboys (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=dal)' offense was on the field.
Phillips would not declare Monday that Austin has earned a starting job with his franchise-record 250-yard performance against the Chiefs. However, Phillips said that Austin would play more than 50 snaps per game.

"We're going to get him on the field," Phillips said. "His run after the catch is so strong that if you get him the football, he's liable to make a big play. He obviously showed he could do that. We've got to get him in the game. He's got to get his touches.
"That's just the bottom line. Give him a chance to do it again."
Phillips declined to say whether Austin's increased playing time would come at the expense of Roy Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5532) or Patrick Crayton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5741). Austin got his first career start Sunday in place of Williams, who stayed in Dallas to nurse three injured ribs, but he's capable of playing all the receiver positions in the Cowboys' offense.
Austin avoided questions about becoming a starter, saying that it wasn't his decision to make.
"I just wanted to show people that I'm ready to play," said Austin, who broke Hall of Famer Bob Hayes' 43-year-old team record for receiving yardage in a game.
The Cowboys have long believed that Austin, a fourth-year undrafted player from Monmouth University, had the size (6 feet 3, 214 pounds) and speed to be a dynamic threat. They're optimistic that Sunday's show was a breakout performance for a receiver who entered the game with 23 catches for 435 yards in his career.
Austin had more yards in Sunday's overtime win -- capped by his second long touchdown catch of the game -- than either Crayton (243) and Williams (214) have this season.
"You can tell he's an explosive player," quarterback Tony Romo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5209) said Sunday. "He did a phenomenal job. Obviously, we've got to find a way to utilize some of his skills."

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=4554086&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Tim MacMahon covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com. Email him at [email protected].

bresilhac
10-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Austin's performance was a flash in the pan, once in a lifetime event. He'll fade away in the weeks ahead and Dallas will be back to square one by November.

Spursfan092120
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Austin's performance was a flash in the pan, once in a lifetime event. He'll fade away in the weeks ahead and Dallas will be back to square one by November.
um...he's had several performances like this in the past...if Dallas finally does what they say that want to do, which is give him more snaps in the right spot, he could keep doing it.

slick'81
10-13-2009, 02:52 AM
the potential is there lets c if he can be a week2week consistent threat

Whisky Dog
10-13-2009, 04:54 AM
At least teams have to respect him now.

DBryant88
10-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Damn, I thought he was greased up the way he slipped through defenders in that game
he made a lot a nice catches and impressed a lot of people
we will be seeing a lot more af miles austin in the future

bigdog
10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Wade said that Miles got 58 snaps in this game and in the next one he will also be getting 50-something snaps. I can see him starting in Crayton's spot, maybe not the next game, but possibly after that if he has another good game.

Spursfan092120
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Wade said that Miles got 58 snaps in this game and in the next one he will also be getting 50-something snaps. I can see him starting in Crayton's spot, maybe not the next game, but possibly after that if he has another good game.
No..he has to start at the 1...that's where he's best..going deep. If he starts in Crayton's spot, he'll be a slot receiver...that's not where he's best...we need him at the 1 and Roy at the 2...then decide if you want Crayton or Hurd at the 3.

leemajors
10-13-2009, 01:48 PM
duh article of the year.

Dr. Gonzo
10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
um...he's had several performances like this in the past...if Dallas finally does what they say that want to do, which is give him more snaps in the right spot, he could keep doing it.

Wow, he's had several 250 yard performances? Why hasn't he been in the Pro Bowl?

Evil Angel
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
duh article of the year.

Consider who they're quoting here... Coach of the year, NOT!!!

Miles showed his goods, always liked the way he returned so no real surprise what happened when he slips a tackle. Pure speed takes over.
Tough part will be defenses preparing for him and ready next time. But I say give him a chance, better than the other options available!

Spursfan092120
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow, he's had several 250 yard performances? Why hasn't he been in the Pro Bowl?
no dumbass..pay attention..the guy said it was a flash in the pan...you knew what the hell I was talking about....god, are you obsessed with me or something?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't think you even know what you're talking about.

The guy's career is littered with 1 and 2 catch games. No doubt he was down on the depth chart and didn't get the snaps, but in no way, shape or form has he had several outstanding performances in the past.

Unless, by several you mean one (GB game).

Spursfan092120
10-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't think you even know what you're talking about.

The guy's career is littered with 1 and 2 catch games. No doubt he was down on the depth chart and didn't get the snaps, but in no way, shape or form has he had several outstanding performances in the past.

Unless, by several you mean one (GB game).
yes...1 and 2 catch games...look at the yardage of those games...when he's thrown the ball, he makes things happen...the guy can break free. He's got a lot of potential...and hopefully we're going to be able to start seeing that now.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
God Damn this coaching staff is stupid.

And by the way, after the games that Austin and Crayton had, how is the response to this not a big collective "duh"?

Spursfan092120
10-13-2009, 10:57 PM
how is the response to this not a big collective "duh"?
With the coaching staff we have, nothing is obvious..

MajorMike
10-14-2009, 08:20 AM
duh article of the year.

lol so true. Everytime I see the title of this article it makes me want to say, "Well, DUUUUUH!" Considering nothing else is worknig for them.

J.T.
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
duh

Spursfan092120
10-14-2009, 02:31 PM
duh
this

Spursfan092120
10-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Just heard Michael Irvin say Miles Austin needs to stay as the "X" (the big play WR position) and move Roy Williams to the slot. Couldn't agree more.

Obstructed_View
10-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Just heard Michael Irvin say Miles Austin needs to stay as the "X" (the big play WR position) and move Roy Williams to the slot. Couldn't agree more.

Good for both of them. I couldn't be more pleased with Roy's performance so far, but it's pretty clear that he needs to be the big catch guy instead of the big play guy. People may tend to forget that Alvin Harper was the big play guy when Irvin was in Dallas.

Spursfan092120
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Good for both of them. I couldn't be more pleased with Roy's performance so far, but it's pretty clear that he needs to be the big catch guy instead of the big play guy. People may tend to forget that Alvin Harper was the big play guy when Irvin was in Dallas.
oh yeah..Harper was a monster. Miles is better as the big play guy...it's obvious...Phillips is just stuck in the "he makes more money, he should be the big play guy" mode...it's garbage.