PDA

View Full Version : CBA rules?

sickdsm
04-14-2005, 04:42 PM
I can't find it on nba.com. I was looking for the info on restricted free agency. Specificlly the part about if your in the league for 3 or more years you automaticlly become restricted. Trenton Hassell fell into this last year and i'm trying to see if Griffen works into that this year.

ChumpDumper
04-14-2005, 06:01 PM
It's not automatic -- the team has to put up a qualifying offer. I'd have to read the actual CBA because the FAQ is a little murky on whether a third-year player who is on his second contract can be made restricted (the Spurs didn't seem to be able to do so with Jack, for instance). At any rate, the Wolves could only spend exceptions on Griff under terms of the current CBA -- but that's subject to change.

sickdsm
04-14-2005, 09:11 PM
I realize the part about the excpetions but the main reason why i'm wondering so much is there is so many conflicting views on whether he is or not. Eddie himself doesn't know, our TV color guy says he is, and McHale has said he's not.

He better damn well be unrestricted or i think that's automatic grounds for McHale's dismissal.

ChumpDumper
04-14-2005, 09:29 PM
As I said, even if the Wolves can make Griff restricted, they have to officially make a qualifying offer. That can't happen yet, so McHale is technically right. Even if they make him an RFA, they can still refuse to match another team's offer or sign-and-trade him. Nothing is automatic, so don't fret.