PDA

View Full Version : Aldridge is key to Blazers' defense

tlongII
10-12-2009, 09:30 PM
http://columbian.com/article/20091012/SPORTS01/910129991/1001/SPORTS01

TUALATIN, Ore. — LaMarcus Aldridge stood at the far-right corner of the Portland Trail Blazers' practice facility. The tall, muscular forward picked up a basketball, shot it skyward and watched it fall gently through a hoop. Aldridge repeated the activity over and over Monday morning. And his soft shot and softer touch spoke volumes about his impressive talent and near limitless potential.

But no matter how strong Aldridge's shot looked, his post-practice routine was merely a cooldown — a simple run through of an action that has become second nature for the 6-foot-11, 240-pound third-year player from the University of Texas.

Aldridge can shoot and he can score. Of that, there is no doubt. The 24-year-old averaged a career-high 18.1 points last season, and shot 48.4 percent from the floor and 78.1 percent from the free-throw line.

But what is still questioned is whether Aldridge can become a defensive force in the NBA. And the query has developed extra resonance during the Blazers' 2009-10 training camp. A Portland team attempting to add strength, intensity and toughness has heard one word preached over and over from coach Nate McMillan: defense.

Portland's attempt to evolve from an offensive-minded collection of young shooters into a tight, experienced unit that sacrifices on both ends of the floor has been one of the main themes of this preseason. And while the Blazers' emergence as a defensive powerhouse does not solely rest on Aldridge's thick shoulders, he is a major key to its success.

"It's gotten better, but it's nowhere where I want it to be," Aldridge said. "I think it's part of a learning curve. Bigs have to learn how to play in the lane. You have to learn how to get position; learn when to help; learn when not to help. So, I think I've gotten better. But it's nowhere where I think it's going to be when I really learn how to play it."

McMillan said Aldridge can guard all five positions on the court. And the forward's dynamic body and muscular coordination give him a versatility that is ideal for defensive switches.

Meanwhile, Blazers assistant coach Monte Williams said Aldridge has the potential to dominate the three main categories of basketball: offense, defense and transition. Williams threw out nightly numbers of 20-25 points and 10-15 rebounds as ideal averages for Aldridge. But Williams added another potential highlight: Aldridge as the front man on Portland's defensive press.

"There's nobody in the league that can do that. Maybe they can, but they're not doing it," Williams said. "He's done it. And he can do it even better. He doesn't realize — I know he doesn't realize what I think of him; I think he can be one of the best players in the NBA. And it's all up to him."

Williams said Portland's top players, such as Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Steve Blake, have already bought into the gospel of defense. Now, the focus is on spreading the word to the remainder of the Blazers' roster.

"Any team that has defense as a non-focal point is a losing team," William said. "What we're trying to do is put in a defensive system that our guys understand: When we step on the floor, this is how we play. We'll make our adjustments as we go. We have a staple and a system that we want our guys to buy into, and it's a mentality for the most part."

Williams said Portland's defensive approach this season will closely resemble the one employed last year, when the Blazers ranked fourth in the league in points allowed (94.1), but 17th in field-goal percentage (46.0) and tied for 26th in defensive rebounding (28.8).

Blazers forward Juwan Howard, a 15-year NBA veteran, said the Blazers have a chance to become a strong defensive unit. Howard said it is still too early to know how Portland will stack up. But he added that if the Blazers can prevent points in the paint, rebound better, increase energy and improve ball control, Portland has an opportunity to join perennial defensive stalwarts such as the San Antonio Spurs and Boston Celtics.

"The good teams in this league are very good defensive teams," Howard said. "That's how you get to that (next) level. That's how you win ballgames."

iggypop123
10-12-2009, 10:09 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/lcp/amlmart1/myfiles/LaMarcus.jpg

Spursfan092120
10-12-2009, 10:10 PM
drop one, DPG...do it...