PDA

View Full Version : If Popovich Starts Matt Bonner He Really Does Deserve to Get Fired

VivaPopovich
10-13-2009, 08:38 AM
All the Pt he's getting in the pre-season is sickening

Matt Bonner would be a good SF the way Horry played SF at times

But starting him at PF or C? GTFO

admiralsnackbar
10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Funny thread considering your handle...

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Bonner a SF? Have you watched him play?

He is most likely going to start until february, deal with it.

Mel_13
10-13-2009, 09:04 AM
11:32 mpg thru three preseason games. Truly sickening.

JR3
10-13-2009, 09:39 AM
As much as I like other players than bonner, him on the floor forces the other team's bigs away from the paint.. parker/jefferson/manu/hill/anyone else will score all day in the lane.....or Bonner will be our leading scorer. Good for O..not so much for D. How ever pop plays it out, I think we win. Our group is very versital. I could always use some more cow blair though.

Muser
10-13-2009, 09:41 AM
So you want Bonner to be on LeBron/Anthony etc?

all_heart
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM
As much as I like other players than bonner, him on the floor forces the other team's bigs away from the paint.. parker/jefferson/manu/hill/anyone else will score all day in the lane.....or Bonner will be our leading scorer. Good for O..not so much for D. How ever pop plays it out, I think we win. Our group is very versital. I could always use some more cow blair though.

It should work out like this on paper, however I didn't see this happen last year. It should benefit TD more than anybody else IF Bonner is being guarded on the other side of the floor by a big. However, because of TD and a fortified front line this year, there should be lots of open looks from the 3pt line this year IF defenses choose to clog the paint for rebounding purposes. So it will be very interesting this year to see how things play out.

ElNono
10-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I'll get concerned when both Bonner and Finley start piling up 20+ minutes games. I know it's coming and that's exactly why I wanted them traded.
Prove me wrong, Pop!

thispego
10-13-2009, 10:34 AM
you people are fucking morons

honestfool84
10-13-2009, 11:01 AM
you, vivapopovich, are a stupid moron.

Interrohater
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
fail.

bus driver
10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
to answer your question, YES!
remember pop was the reason Action Jackson got away!

Mel_13
10-13-2009, 12:10 PM

no

Phenomanul
10-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Revisionist history for 500!

Duncan2177
10-13-2009, 01:07 PM
PG-Parker
SG-Manu
C-McDyess
PF-Duncan
SF-Jefferson

Solid D
10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/pod_091012.jpg

Pop, says water your basketball IQ and you will not FAIL.

http://www.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/superman-fail.jpg

DMX7
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM

This just proves your opinion should be ignored.

xellos88330
10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I think someone needs to take a chill pill. Matt has some tools that no other big on the Spurs has shown they could do. He is a great to fill spot minutes. Besides, even if he were to start the game, there is no telling how long Pop will let him play. Being a starter isn't as important as how many minutes you play.

mookie2001
10-13-2009, 02:19 PM
deserve? this is the same coach who let manu play in last years playoffs, who played small ball v the mavs in 06, its clear he has the bobby bowden pass

angelbelow
10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Do people think before they post?

Solid D
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
deserve? this is the same coach who let manu play in last years playoffs, who played small ball v the mavs in 06, its clear he has the bobby bowden pass

Manu didn't play in last year's playoffs and Pop went small in '07 to win a title.
Don't make me get out my FAIL pass for you, too.

EricB
10-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah let's bring back bob hill or John Lucas. Sure miss the good old days of those fantastic coaches....

Fabbs
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
the bobby bowden pass.
Excellent! I think we've got a new nickname for the pass 'Popped gets from the his worshippers. ^^^^Like the above and below vvvv
http://www.nba.com/spurs/photos/pod_091012.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-13-2009, 03:02 PM
:lol

mookie2001
10-13-2009, 03:07 PM
yall know what i meant last year in 08

anyway, pop will pull some bullshit this year that wont even compare to 06 or 08 and he'll get called out like it was the stupidest shit he ever did

anakha
10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
anyway, pop will pull some bullshit this year that wont even compare to 06 or 08 and he'll get called out like it was the stupidest shit he ever did

Vague enough to warrant claiming victory over almost any decision this season! Well done!

lefty
10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Finley on Brandon Bass was genius, just pure genius

Allanon
10-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I think Blair would get more minutes at SF than Bonner would.

Fabbs
10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Manu didn't play in last year's playoffs and Pop went small in '07 to win a title.
Don't make me get out my FAIL pass for you, too.
Bullfreaking crap.
Fabs Oberto and Frankie Elson combined for 32 minutes a game while boifriend Mrs Popafinley got a very appropriate 20 minutes per game and earned them;

In '06 Dipstickavich had Mrs Finley in at 32 mpg and Rasho and Man from Nazr were pretty much nailed to the bench, got about 10 min each tops.

anakha
10-13-2009, 03:52 PM
bullfreaking crap.
Fabs oberto and frankie elson combined for 32 minutes a game while boifriend mrs popafinley got a very appropriate 20 minutes per game and earned them;

27 = 20?

SCdac
10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I can understand starting Bonner over Blair initially... but Antonio McDyess has started 123 games the past two seasons (including playoffs), the guy knows what it's like going up the best lineups. It would be a shame not to start him with Duncan, Parker, and Jefferson imo. The whole point of having strong depth is to over power teams with talent and potency, not to make having inferior players in the starting lineup that much easier to do.

rayray2k8
10-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't start anymore threads..

siraulo23
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I swear in NBA Live 10, (subs setting = auto)

They kept subbing Bonner as a SF

portnoy1
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Bonner can shoot, but according to the overhaul that the spurs have made, thats not that important anymore. Defense and athleticism is the key. However Bonner probably will start and most of here who can see past his 3 pt shot will have a heart attack.

Marcus Bryant
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM
If Bonner isn't moved, which is a distinct possibility with his expiring contract, he'll end up as the 4th or 5th big, which is fine.

Starters
4 Duncan
5 McDyess

Bench
4 Blair
4 Bonner or 4/5 Mahinmi
5 Ratliff

The value of Bonner's range is somewhat less now that the Spurs have McDyess.

Morg1411
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Do people think before they post?

Do you need to ask? :lol

TD 21
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM

Bonner would be a good SF? This isn't the 90's. Un-athletic, slow footed big players can no longer play on the perimeter with the way the game is played nowadays. Even Horry, much more nimble and fluid than Bonner ever was, was strictly a PF in the latter stages of his career.

As for Bonner's starting, my guess is it's nothing more than Pop showing that the Spurs still value Bonner, as he has been been known to struggle with confidence, so immediately sending him to the bench could have had a potentially negative effect on him. I'd be stunned if he started on opening night ahead of McDyess.

poop
10-13-2009, 07:06 PM
i swear to god if he starts bonner and plays him big minutes whilst blair warms the bench im going to have an anyerism

senorglory
10-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I swear in NBA Live 10, (subs setting = auto)

They kept subbing Bonner as a SF

Ha!

itzsoweezee
10-13-2009, 08:38 PM
let bonner play against scrub teams to give the good players rest. other than that, he's worthless.

other than the celtics game last year, bonner was consistently horrible when it mattered.

that's reason enough not to play him. this theoretical bullshit about spacing the floor is just that - theoretical. if the spurs are leaning on that theory come playoff time, it's a first round exit once again.

anyone that can think logically and actually watched the games last year knows this is true.

completely deck
10-13-2009, 08:48 PM
i swear to god if he starts bonner and plays him big minutes whilst blair warms the bench im going to have an anyerism

I just wanted to quote a guy who registers under the username "poop".

ulosturedge
10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Bonner won't be needed as much as we have plenty of offensive weapons this year. God knows he's not in there for his defense. He will be used more as a spark of offense if the team falls into luls on the offensive end or if they go into scoring droughts. I see him playing a role much like the role Steve kerr played for us when he was on the team.

And who cares what the lineups are. Pop will experiment. Regular season is going to be all about developing the youth and solidifying some team chemistry. What matters most is what lineups Pop goes with in the playoffs.

Solid D
10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Bullfreaking crap.
Fabs Oberto and Frankie Elson combined for 32 minutes a game while boifriend Mrs Popafinley got a very appropriate 20 minutes per game and earned them;

In '06 Dipstickavich had Mrs Finley in at 32 mpg and Rasho and Man from Nazr were pretty much nailed to the bench, got about 10 min each tops.

To be fair to mookie, I generalized just like he did. The Spurs went small less often in 2006-07 because the Spurs had Horry, Elson and Oberto...but there were times they went small. Pop do what he do. Quite frankly, there is such a trend in basketball in college and pros to go with 3 guard lineups and quick, athletic teams (ex. dribble-drive offense - bulky screeners need not apply) that sometimes you just have to match up small to have the point diff go in your favor.

Back to Matt Bonner. I think he'll be moved if they can at least get some reasonable value back now or for the future. He's not a 3 man and he loses his effectiveness if played there because Pop wants Bonner to pull the opposing Big out to the perimeter. That's why he likes Matt. He creates spacing offensively.

TIMMYD!
10-13-2009, 10:31 PM

Hope it stays that way during the regular season.

SouthTexasRancher
10-13-2009, 10:33 PM

There is always a mad scientist's method to Pop's ways. We have no say in it which is the way it should be. Pop coaching the Spurs to 4 NBA Championships since 1999 is good enough with the players and owner as well as to 99.999999% of us fans.

Manu as 6th man...first off the bench has = Championships. Many criticised that move. There is only one ball per 5 players on offense. If Bonner hits his first 2 or 4 three pointers all is good. If he throws up nothing but airballs then sit his ass on the bench for the rest of the half. Who actually starts is not as important as who finishes in the NBA...especially when it results in wins.

TIMMYD!
10-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Jessica Alba looking delicious in Allanon's sig.:drool::drool::drool:

mookie2001
10-13-2009, 10:36 PM
if hes floating around the 3pt line hes not rebounding and hes cluttering the perimeter but hey hes got skillz no spurs bigman has ever had!

Agloco
10-14-2009, 11:02 AM

:rolleyes

We can't start Bonner and sub for him, say 6 minutes in?

I say as long as he's getting only 10-15 minutes/per, I don't care what Pop decides to do with him.

portnoy1
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
There is always a mad scientist's method to Pop's ways. We have no say in it which is the way it should be. Pop coaching the Spurs to 4 NBA Championships since 1999 is good enough with the players and owner as well as to 99.999999% of us fans.

Manu as 6th man...first off the bench has = Championships. Many criticised that move. There is only one ball per 5 players on offense. If Bonner hits his first 2 or 4 three pointers all is good. If he throws up nothing but airballs then sit his ass on the bench for the rest of the half. Who actually starts is not as important as who finishes in the NBA...especially when it results in wins.Although Manu coming off the bench was critisized, Manu's abilities were never in question. Bonners abilities mixed the spurs philosophy is like oil and water they're both good for something but they dont mix. Spurs are trying to get back to playing Defense while Bonner works hard he is not as intimidating as a Mcdyess/Ratliff or even a Blair when it comes to the boards. Even someone as sorry as big baby davis demands enough respect that you have to put a body on him, even though he is not a great rebounder.

Fabbs
10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Although Manu coming off the bench was critisized, Manu's abilities were never in question.
Thank you.
Also puts the kabosh on "Popped never plays rookies". Granted Manu was not your typical rookie.

Adjust or die. Pop and Pop worshippers living off his past titles is lame.
Hopefully he won't screw up with this years excelent roster.

Agloco
10-14-2009, 03:13 PM
I think Blair would get more minutes at SF than Bonner would.

If we see either of them at SF for extended periods, then I'd agree with the premise of this thread. I don't think Blair needs to be racking up time at SF at all actually.

SpurCharger
10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
LMAO!!!! Matt Bonner At SF???? Where Have You been??? He doesnt have the Foot Speed to Stay In Front On centers... Could you Imagine Him Trying to Guard Lebron, Melo, Or Pierce. I can See Wilts 100 point game Record gettin Broke.