PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Tiago Splitter And Nando De Colo

Blackjack
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Tiago Splitter and Nando De Colo
Timothy Varner

48MoH readers have seen the name Bruno tossed about here and there. Bruno is a trusted friend firmly situated in France, where he is able to make all sorts of smart observations about the Spurs, the NBA, and their various relationships in the international basketball community (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/04/23/tiago-splitter-news/). For the upcoming season we’ve asked a few friends of 48MoH to serve as international correspondents regarding the development of Spurs-drafted players currently playing overseas. Not only does Bruno know his stuff, but he’s in a position to watch the Spurs hopefuls play and gather information via original language sources. More details about our correspondents are forthcoming, but Bruno will keep us up-to-date about the play of Tiago Splitter and Nando De Colo. His first submission is designed to bring us up to speed:

Tiago Splitter

Tiago Splitter has a long history with the NBA. In fact, I don’t think there is a player outside the NBA who has been in more NBA talks than Splitter. He entered the draft 3 times (2004, 2005 and 2006) but withdrew for lack of an affordable buyout of his contract with Tau (Siska Baskonia). In 2007, he was automatically eligible for the draft as an international player born in 1985. While he had been projected as a lottery pick for years, he was available at the end of the first round because of his relative lack of improvement and because he had to wait one year before joining the NBA. The San Antonio Spurs finally drafted him with the 28th choice and it was seen as a steal by most NBA analysts.

The 2008 summer should have been the happy ending of this saga but it didn’t happen as expected. On the one hand, Tiago had a very good year and Tau made him a great offer. On the other hand, the Spurs were financially limited by the rookie salary scale and Tiago had to give back a part of his NBA salary to pay a part of Tau’s contract buyout. As a result, he decided to sign a new 4 year contract with Tau. This contract has a buyout clause after 2 years. The buyout is lower if he leaves Tau for an NBA team than for another European team. Later in the same summer, Pop said “When he agreed to come, he didn’t know they were going to offer him so much (in Spain). With the way the economy is, he would have had to be an idiot to come here next year.” So it looks like Spurs don’t have any ill feelings towards him or, at least, they’re good at disguising them.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/10/13/tiago-splitter-and-nando-de-colo/)

DPG21920
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Timothy Varner

48MoH readers have seen the name Bruno tossed about here and there. Bruno is a trusted friend firmly situated in France, where he is able to make all sorts of smart observations about the Spurs, the NBA, and their various relationships in the international basketball community (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/04/23/tiago-splitter-news/). For the upcoming season we’ve asked a few friends of 48MoH to serve as international correspondents regarding the development of Spurs-drafted players currently playing overseas. Not only does Bruno know his stuff, but he’s in a position to watch the Spurs hopefuls play and gather information via original language sources. More details about our correspondents are forthcoming, but Bruno will keep us up-to-date about the play of Tiago Splitter and Nando De Colo. His first submission is designed to bring us up to speed:

Tiago Splitter

Tiago Splitter has a long history with the NBA. In fact, I don’t think there is a player outside the NBA who has been in more NBA talks than Splitter. He entered the draft 3 times (2004, 2005 and 2006) but withdrew for lack of an affordable buyout of his contract with Tau (Siska Baskonia). In 2007, he was automatically eligible for the draft as an international player born in 1985. While he had been projected as a lottery pick for years, he was available at the end of the first round because of his relative lack of improvement and because he had to wait one year before joining the NBA. The San Antonio Spurs finally drafted him with the 28th choice and it was seen as a steal by most NBA analysts.

The 2008 summer should have been the happy ending of this saga but it didn’t happen as expected. On the one hand, Tiago had a very good year and Tau made him a great offer. On the other hand, the Spurs were financially limited by the rookie salary scale and Tiago had to give back a part of his NBA salary to pay a part of Tau’s contract buyout. As a result, he decided to sign a new 4 year contract with Tau. This contract has a buyout clause after 2 years. The buyout is lower if he leaves Tau for an NBA team than for another European team. Later in the same summer, Pop said “When he agreed to come, he didn’t know they were going to offer him so much (in Spain). With the way the economy is, he would have had to be an idiot to come here next year.” So it looks like Spurs don’t have any ill feelings towards him or, at least, they’re good at disguising them.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/10/13/tiago-splitter-and-nando-de-colo/)

Varner is a gigantic douche.

:wow

SenorSpur
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Question for Bruno or anyone else:
How does Nando De Colo compare to Rodrique Beaubois, who was drafted by the Mavs in the 2nd round of the 2009 NBA Draft?

I've seen a little of Beaubois during SL and preseason and this kid appears to have some good skills. Very athletic, good hops, can get to the rim with ease. Also has long arms and looks like a very willing on-the-ball defender.

Was he someone the Spurs may have had in their crosshairs?

Libri
10-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Second, a lot of players are new. 5 of last year’s 7 best scorers are gone. To replace them, they have added mainly young talented players. How well this new team will perform this year will surely be a factor in Splitter’s choice to leave them or not in 2010. This year, I won’t only say “Go, Spurs, Go” but also “Go, whoever plays against Caja Laboral, Go”.I read that Walter Herrmann had surgery on his left knee and will be out for two months. If Herrmann was going to play a significant role for Caja Laboral, then his absence could have an impact.

anakha
10-13-2009, 06:25 PM
This year, Tiago will play the Euroleague and the Spanish league. It’s the highest level of basketball outside the NBA.

Lies!

Pauleta14
10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Question for Bruno or anyone else:
How does Nando De Colo compare to Rodrique Beaubois, who was drafted by the Mavs in the 2nd round of the 2009 NBA Draft?

I've seen a little of Beaubois during SL and preseason and this kid appears to have some good skills. Very athletic, good hops, can get to the rim with ease. Also has long arms and looks like a very willing on-the-ball defender.

De Colo is more a 2nd guard but is somtimes used as PG because he has great court vision and passing skills, he is a great shooter (often described as the "french yougoslavian"...) but overall we've seen during the euro that he needs to improve his decision making, gain experience.

Beaubois is more a pure PG although he can be used at the 2nd G spot, he is more atletic than TP (he can dunk!:lol) and way quicker than Nando, has good shooting (better than TP when he came in the nba... lol) and has a good D (I even suspect Dallas to have draft him because of the way TP destroyed them in PO, he'll be more usefull than barea and kidd for sure...)
He has great potential at PG, no big weaknesses and no big strengh, but the conservatives nba analyst will like him faster than they did with TP...

I do like him, but I prefer Hill (potential wise)...

Bruno
10-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Beaubois was drafted in the first round with the 25th pick. 3 months before the 2009 draft, Beaubois' agent said Sours were one of the NBA franchise that really like Beaubois and that asked him a lot of infos about him.

Beaubois and De Colo are really really different players. In France Nando was the best player but the reason why Beaubois was drafted significantly higher than De Colo is that he has a way higher upside and has a game that translate better to the NBA.

Pauleta14
10-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Lies!

Whitch league would you put ahead of the spanish one?

poop
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
im so sick of hearing about this 'splitter' guy.

and nando de culo hahahaha

DPG21920
10-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Why are you sick of hearing about Splitter? I know it has seemed like a long journey, but no one is really to blame here. I really hope something can be worked out to bring him over.

De Colo, for a late second rounder is a very interesting prospect. He has many good skills.

Pauleta14
10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Beaubois was drafted in the first round with the 25th pick. 3 months before the 2009 draft, Beaubois' agent said Sours were one of the NBA franchise that really like Beaubois and that asked him a lot of infos about him.

Beaubois and De Colo are really really different players. In France Nando was the best player but the reason why Beaubois was drafted significantly higher than De Colo is that he has a way higher upside and has a game that translate better to the NBA.

Do you think they'd have draft him if they had a shot?
If yes, what about Hill?

+ I agree with his game being fit for the nba, I hope the mavs give him time...

Blackjack
10-13-2009, 07:08 PM

Yeah, that's what I immediately thought of.:lol

Bruno
10-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Do you think they'd have draft him if they had a shot?
If yes, what about Hill?

+ I agree with his game being fit for the nba, I hope the mavs give him time...

I don't think they will have drafted him with Hill on the board. They are quite similar players.

BTW, link to this interview (in French) with Beaubois agent:
http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/handvolley_det_-Bouna-N-Diaye-La-NBA-adore-le-Choletais-Rodrigue-Beaubois-_39630-878400_actu.Htm

tav1
10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Bruno is a super-gigantic douche.:p:

Bruno
10-13-2009, 07:20 PM

:lol
You brought Tim Varner in a conversation while at the exact same time I was exchanging emails with him so I made a little inside joke with Tim.

Pauleta14
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
I don't think they will have drafted him with Hill on the board. They are quite similar players.

BTW, link to this interview (in French) with Beaubois agent:
http://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/handvolley_det_-Bouna-N-Diaye-La-NBA-adore-le-Choletais-Rodrigue-Beaubois-_39630-878400_actu.Htm

N'diaye seems to be a good agent, but I usualy never trust what they say, a BIG part of their job is about lobbying...:lol

but thks tho

What do you think about the reason the mavs drafted him, I help but thinking this is TP related...

Bruno
10-13-2009, 07:36 PM
What do you think about the reason the mavs drafted him, I help but thinking this is TP related...

Well, Kidd is aging and Beaubois is a good long term prospect PG. Mavs drafting him make sense. N'Diaye has also a close connection with Mavs (he lives in Dallas).
Mavs have suffered a lot aganst Paul and Parker (even if Mavs beat Spurs) in playoffs. Having a very fast player able to defend them has been surely a factor in their draft choice.

DPG21920
10-13-2009, 07:38 PM
You brought Tim Varner in a conversation while at the exact same time I was exchanging emails with him so I made a little inside joke with Tim.

That is what I figured to a certain degree :lol, just wanted to put you on the "hot seat".

SenorSpur
10-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Well, Kidd is aging and Beaubois is a good long term prospect PG. Mavs drafting him make sense. N'Diaye has also a close connection with Mavs (he lives in Dallas).
Mavs have suffered a lot aganst Paul and Parker (even if Mavs beat Spurs) in playoffs. Having a very fast player able to defend them has been surely a factor in their draft choice.

Thanks for the info guys. :tu

anakha
10-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Whitch league would you put ahead of the spanish one?

Search for posts made by one Kill_Bill_Pana and you'll get it.

angelbelow
10-13-2009, 09:23 PM
pretty nice read

buttsR4rebounding
10-13-2009, 10:42 PM
De Colo is more a 2nd guard but is somtimes used as PG because he has great court vision and passing skills, he is a great shooter (often described as the "french yougoslavian"...) but overall we've seen during the euro that he needs to improve his decision making, gain experience.

Beaubois is more a pure PG although he can be used at the 2nd G spot, he is more atletic than TP (he can dunk!:lol) and way quicker than Nando, has good shooting (better than TP when he came in the nba... lol) and has a good D (I even suspect Dallas to have draft him because of the way TP destroyed them in PO, he'll be more usefull than barea and kidd for sure...)
He has great potential at PG, no big weaknesses and no big strengh, but the conservatives nba analyst will like him faster than they did with TP...

I do like him, but I prefer Hill (potential wise)...

Damn, I'm happy when I find the 1st G spot...how do you find the 2nd g spot and how do you use him there once it is found?:p:

barbacoataco
10-13-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm not sure the Spurs will want to sign Splitter for the money he'll want. That might mean that trading his right would be the best option because I think there are teams out there that would want him.

Pauleta14
10-14-2009, 02:26 AM
Damn, I'm happy when I find the 1st G spot...how do you find the 2nd g spot and how do you use him there once it is found?:p:

As you've noticed, english is not my natural "tongue" (= language in french)...

mountainballer
10-14-2009, 05:26 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bMjbYH67F6gT/610x.jpg
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/06/splitterinhalf.jpg
http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/thumbnails/199_150/Imatges/2008-2009/basquet/noticies/Jugadors/andersen/andersen.JPG

there are some reasons, why it will be somehow interesting to follow closely how David Andersen does in Houston.
not because they are looking a bit like brothers (absolutely same height and body type) and for sure not because of their games (which is not compareable at all), but it will still be quite interesting how he will do in the NBA and how fast he can establish himself. in his first preseason games he looked quite good, for sure good enough to assume he will be a regular rotation player for the Rockets immediately, maybe even a starter.
and we can assume, whatever Andersen can do, Tiago should be able to perform at least as well as Andersen. (again, I'm not talking about some aspects of their games, I'm thinking about the overall talent and quality level). so, that's why I hope that Andersen will have a lot of success this season. the better Andersen is, the more the Spurs will be encouraged to bring in Tiago in, even if they would have to spend a significant part of the MLE. (btw. Andersen got 3 years/ 7.5 million, but only the first 2 years are fully guaranteed. Tiago will cost a bit more I guess, maybe something like 3 years and 10 million, fully guaranteed)

Brazil
10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Timothy Varner

:toast Bruno !

rjv
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
pretty damn good assesments.

velik_m
10-14-2009, 09:23 AM
How well this new team will perform this year will surely be a factor in Splitter’s choice to leave them or not in 2010. This year, I won’t only say “Go, Spurs, Go” but also “Go, whoever plays against Caja Laboral, Go”.

On the other hand if he wins everything in Europe (he's missing Euroleague title), he might be more open to moving on to the NBA. Perhaps the worst possible result would be if they somehow end up just one step bellow the top.

timvp
10-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Nice writeup.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Search for posts made by one Kill_Bill_Pana and you'll get it.

During Cavs and Olympiacos game Danny Ferry said Greek League was the best in Europe.

mountainballer
10-15-2009, 03:50 AM
On the other hand if he wins everything in Europe (he's missing Euroleague title), he might be more open to moving on to the NBA. Perhaps the worst possible result would be if they somehow end up just one step bellow the top.

Tau (Saski Baskonia) has been this one step below the top for almost ten years. they won the Spanish championship twice, but that's about it. (not talking about Spanish cup etc., that's not important enough). they made the Euroleague final 4 for 5 times and lost the finals twice. so I don't think that if they again make the final 4 and lose again, that this motivates Tiago to stay, because he feels like "next year we make it". it will be no different to a feeling the Saski players have known for years. but I don't think the team will make the final 4 anyhow. they only kept 4 players from last years roster and while most of the new players are decent, they are not good enough for a Euroleague contender and the overall quality of the team will be lower than in the last years IMO.
so I'm pretty sure Tiago will decide to leave Vitoria next summer. the more serious thread for the Spurs will be, that another Euro powerhouse jumps in and gives Tiago a crazy offer. (including the offer to pay whatever buyout). Real looks like a very likely competitor for Tiago in 2010, especially with Messina as their coach, who wouldn't have signed there, if he didn't see a chance to win the Euroleague with Real in the near future. (Lavrinovic and Van den Spiegel are not exactly the Center duo you want, if you try to build a future champion.)
be prepared that Real will offer Tiago at least as much as the Spurs will offer next summer.

Bruno
10-15-2009, 05:05 AM
^ Real also has Reyes at C.

And I agree that Splitter options won't be only Spurs or Tau. Barcelona and Real should be interested given his level and his Spanish citizenship. Outside these two teams, I only see Panatinaikos and Olympiakos able to offer him a big contract and pay a buyout to Caja Laboral.

At the end, it will depend on what really matters to Splitter: the sentimental side (Caja Laboral,), the financial side (Real or Barcelona) or the competitive side (Spurs).

mountainballer
10-15-2009, 06:03 AM
I didn't mention Reyes, because I see him as a PF, who occasionally helps at center. or let me say differently, if I wanted to build a Euroleague champion, I would love to have Reyes at PF, but I also would look to pair him with a real center with legit center height. when it comes to top competition in the Euroleague (at the latest in the final 4) I would really want a 7 footer and not a 6'8'' guy to defend players like Bouroussis or Pekovic.

I agree that very likely only a few teams will be able to make a run at Tiago. (I wouldn't ignore CSKA though, even if it's very unlikely that Tiago goes to Moscow. but they don't have a top center and Russian owners are unpredictable). however, Pana and Olympiacos have handed long term contracts to young centers, so Barca and Real look like the more likely candidates. and Real like the most logical fit. I assume that Messina would love to pair Reyes in the frontcourt with a player type that Tiago is.
as mentioned, this scenario is my biggest thread 2010. because I'm really not sure the Spurs are willing to offer Tiago something like let's say 4 years and 20-25 million, even if they could by trowing the MLE at him. but this might be the type of offer he get's in Europe 2010. (especially if he plays a great 2009-10 season)

Penya
10-15-2009, 06:29 AM
^ Real also has Reyes at C.

And I agree that Splitter options won't be only Spurs or Tau. Barcelona and Real should be interested given his level and his Spanish citizenship. Outside these two teams, I only see Panatinaikos and Olympiakos able to offer him a big contract and pay a buyout to Caja Laboral.

At the end, it will depend on what really matters to Splitter: the sentimental side (Caja Laboral,), the financial side (Real or Barcelona) or the competitive side (Spurs).

I'm pretty sure that Tiago signed in 2008 a 2+2 years deal with Baskonia. It means that at the end of the second year (30th June, 2010), he'll be able to sign only with Spurs (or the team that owns his rights in that date). If he doesn't sign any dean in NBA, he'll stay in Vitoria until 2012.

Bruno
10-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that Tiago signed in 2008 a 2+2 years deal with Baskonia. It means that at the end of the second year (30th June, 2010), he'll be able to sign only with Spurs (or the team that owns his rights in that date). If he doesn't sign any dean in NBA, he'll stay in Vitoria until 2012.

http://www.elcorreodigital.com/alava/20080606/deportes/tau/baskonia-apalabra-renovacion-splitter-20080606.html

Una vez pasen las dos próximas campañas, el interior tendrá en su mano la decisión de completar el nuevo vínculo o, como pretendía hacer este verano, pagar una cláusula especial e irse a los Spurs de San Antonio, que le eligieron en el vigésimo octavo puesto del 'draft' de 2007. El nuevo contrato estima también una posibilidad de que cambie a otro equipo europeo. Aunque, en ese caso, el pago económico sería muchísimo más alto. Se trata de una práctica habitual en la política del TAU Cerámica para evitar que rivales directos se refuercen a su costa.

MB20
10-15-2009, 11:25 AM
thanks for clarifying.

mountainballer
10-15-2009, 11:51 AM
so a buy out for Real or Barca would be higher, but the possibility is there, right? ok, Basketball is another story than Soccer, but considering what crazy dimension of big spending Real showed us this summer, there is a thread that also the one or other peanut million for a buyout of a basketball player walks to the other department.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I didn't mention Reyes, because I see him as a PF, who occasionally helps at center. or let me say differently, if I wanted to build a Euroleague champion, I would love to have Reyes at PF, but I also would look to pair him with a real center with legit center height. when it comes to top competition in the Euroleague (at the latest in the final 4) I would really want a 7 footer and not a 6'8'' guy to defend players like Bouroussis or Pekovic.

I agree that very likely only a few teams will be able to make a run at Tiago. (I wouldn't ignore CSKA though, even if it's very unlikely that Tiago goes to Moscow. but they don't have a top center and Russian owners are unpredictable). however, Pana and Olympiacos have handed long term contracts to young centers, so Barca and Real look like the more likely candidates. and Real like the most logical fit. I assume that Messina would love to pair Reyes in the frontcourt with a player type that Tiago is.
as mentioned, this scenario is my biggest thread 2010. because I'm really not sure the Spurs are willing to offer Tiago something like let's say 4 years and 20-25 million, even if they could by trowing the MLE at him. but this might be the type of offer he get's in Europe 2010. (especially if he plays a great 2009-10 season)

Once again your facts are all wrong. Reyes is a strict C. Splitter is much closer to a PF than Reyes is.

Penya
10-15-2009, 02:52 PM
so a buy out for Real or Barca would be higher, but the possibility is there, right? ok, Basketball is another story than Soccer, but considering what crazy dimension of big spending Real showed us this summer, there is a thread that also the one or other peanut million for a buyout of a basketball player walks to the other department.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but is highly improbable that Splitter signs to Real Madrid or other european team next summer.
Most people in Vitoria think that he'll try the Spur adventure.

In addition, Baskonia is now in financial trouble. Not close to crash or something like that, but their budget is lower than last 10 seasons... And it's expected to be similar or lower next season. If Tiago stays, he'll make less money than this year -but more than in SA, that's the deal!.

Manufan909
10-15-2009, 03:09 PM

Wait, what??? Reword that last sentence, holmes. I have no clue what you said. I did see peanut, perhaps a reference to RJ.:hat

Biggems
10-15-2009, 08:43 PM
If Tiago comes over next year...our front court will be just sick....

Duncan, Ian, Blair, Splitter, McDyess, Bonner, Haislip........and maybe even Jerome Jordan if we are able to draft him with our 1st round pick in 2010.