PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs alter workouts after Garcia injury

Riverwalkman
10-14-2009, 06:44 AM
By Mike Monroe - Express-News

The bizarre weightlifting accident that resulted in a fractured forearm for Sacramento Kings guard-forward Francisco Garcia has prompted a change in some of the Spurs' workout procedures.

Garcia suffered the injury when an inflatable exercise ball exploded. Garcia reportedly was lying on his back across a “physio ball” while lifting dumbbells. When the ball exploded, the player fell backwards, fracturing the radius in his right wrist. He also suffered ligament damage.

Garcia is expected to miss four months of play after surgery to repair the injuries.

On Monday, the Kings sent a warning to the other 29 NBA teams advising them about the incident.

Spurs strength and conditioning coach Mike Brungardt said the team has used exercise balls — large, inflated balls on which players balance while doing assorted exercises — for many years.

“We check them several times each season, and we've never had a problem,” Brungardt said. “We'll continue to use them, but we immediately eliminated their use in some exercises after we got the report from the Kings.”

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he could not recall a Spurs player being injured during any sort of off-court workout.

“No,” he said, “but it made us all think. We all have all these different contraptions we're using. Odd things can happen.”

Parker to sit: Popovich plans to begin focusing more on his regular-season playing rotations and combinations in the final three preseason games, so tonight's game against the Los Angeles Clippers largely will be devoted to evaluation of the players trying to earn a spot on the roster.

To that end, Popovich won't suit up All-Star point guard Tony Parker.

“I'm not playing tomorrow,” Parker said after a lengthy Spurs practice Tuesday. “That's why I'm sweating. I practiced hard. Pop told me before practice I was not going to play, so I had to go hard today, so that's what I did. I've got to stay in rhythm.

“It was a good practice. The last two practices were hard, yesterday and today; very good practices.”

Parker looks forward to watching Spurs rookie DeJuan Blair match up with Clippers rookie Blake Griffin, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft.

“Yeah, that's going to be fun,” he said. “They're both animals. They're both going to play hard, with a lot of energy. That will be fun to watch.”

TP 360: Parker was one of several Spurs who took in the U2 concert Monday night at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.

“I'm a big fan, and it was my first time seeing them live,” Parker said. “It was great. I had a great time, a great experience.

“The stadium was unbelievable; the biggest stadium I've seen, ever.”

Jones waived: The Spurs trimmed their training camp roster by one Tuesday, waiving center Dwayne Jones. Jones appeared in the first three preseason games, averaging 1.7 points and 1.7 rebounds. Seventeen players remain on the roster.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_alter_strength_workouts_after_Garcia_injury. html

ElNono
10-14-2009, 07:53 AM
TP 360: Parker was one of several Spurs who took in the U2 concert Monday night at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas.

“I'm a big fan, and it was my first time seeing them live,” Parker said. “It was great. I had a great time, a great experience.

“The stadium was unbelievable; the biggest stadium I've seen, ever.”

http://i38.tinypic.com/ruusys.jpg

Guess who else was there?

http://i38.tinypic.com/1623eab.jpg

le13
10-14-2009, 08:00 AM
And some "milky" spurs fans are saying that Manu and Tony are not friend :lmao

STFU :toast

completely deck
10-14-2009, 08:06 AM
And some "milky" spurs fans are saying that Manu and Tony are not friend :lmao

STFU :toast

People thought they weren't friends? Weird!

At any rate, should be a good match up tonight against the beast and Griffin

boutons_deux
10-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Who is that guy in the middle with the Nike swoosh?

DisAsTerBot
10-14-2009, 08:50 AM

obama...duh

Hook Dem
10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
obama...duh

No.........Barrak Woods! lol

phyzik
10-14-2009, 08:56 AM

I think his name is Lion or Cougar or Cheeta.... something like that.

On that note, who are the 2 guys standing with him?

NoOptionB
10-14-2009, 09:05 AM
ahhh I was wondering how the hell Garcia broke his forearm lifting weights.

raspsa
10-14-2009, 09:49 AM

You mean the guy who's earned more than $1,000,000,000 according to Forbes Magazine?

NoOptionB
10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Pretty sure it's Don Cheadle.

porksword
10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
My first thought was: damn, what is Denzel Washington doing hanging out with the Spurs at a U2 concert.

hater
10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
the tiger woods guy just won the nobel peace prize

Fermixalot
10-14-2009, 10:45 AM
obama...duh

I lol'd. I admit it

:toast

Agloco
10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
the tiger woods guy just won the nobel peace prize

:lmao

No way is that Tiger Woods. What the hell would he be doing at a U2 concert? This is obviously just some scrub looking for a photo op with Manu and Tony lookalikes.

http://i38.tinypic.com/1623eab.jpg

rjv
10-14-2009, 11:03 AM
i'm surprised eva missed the photo op with woods.

Baseline
10-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Was Timmy there as well?

buttsR4rebounding
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
You mean the guy who's earned more than $1,000,000,000 according to Forbes Magazine?

From his fees working from ACORN?

SanAntonioSpurs23
10-14-2009, 12:36 PM
U2....... Sucks