PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age Origins PC, XBOX360, PS3

kbrury
10-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Well right now Im stuck playing Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 but another game I'm really exited about is Bioware's new RPG Dragon age Origins.

Well of course when you hear Bioware you think of Mass Effect, Kotor, Baldur's Gate and many other strong RPGS. And I think this game will be pretty good, the combat system is going to be great first its going to have the pause system similar to Mass Effect to use skills and such but also have the old school tactical Baldur's gate system where you can issue orders to your party. It will be fully voiced, and some people claim it will have over 80 hours of gameplay. Your character wont be as limited as mass effect was either you can be a Human, Elf, or Dwarf and basically you choose your origin whether you were a human noble or just a common dwarf.

It will be on PC, Xbox360, and the PS3 coming out next month. So if your looking for an RPG why not look at Bioware's new installment.

The trailers look really awesome, the first two are gameplay graphics.

6SuJ5T9sfAA

AcyR9adOuMI

-iFrHRaH0Os

koriwhat
10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
rpgs.... lame!

kbrury
10-14-2009, 04:24 PM
RPGs are the best!

koriwhat
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
RPGs are the best!

to each their own. i just get easily bored with them like in 1 minute. i have a friend who insistently tries his hardest to get me into rpg gaming but his attempts are never going to sway me.

kbrury
10-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Games like Fallout 3 and God of War blew my mind plus I was introduced to RPGs at a very young age so ive been playing them all my life. There was a time where I played sports games all the time but Ive been dissapointed with them these last couple of years.

kbrury
10-14-2009, 05:14 PM
oh BTW Bioware released a character creator yesterday if anyone happens to be interested in the game.

http://dragonage.bioware.com/

z0sa
10-15-2009, 09:15 AM
...yet another game I'm going to need ...

DarkReign
10-15-2009, 09:17 AM
...yet another game I'm going to need ...

+1

I pre-ordered Borderlands from Steam, I am playing Risen right now, along with a myriad of other games (previous thread) and now BioWare is dropping the must-have RPG of the year on my head and I still havent gotten to Demon Souls yet.

..fuckin video games...

z0sa
10-15-2009, 10:09 AM
..fuckin video games...

dude, I know.

MW2, 2k10, I'm still addicted to Oblivion and still have shit to do/find, I haven't even scratched the surface of FO3 and its myriad expansions, I just downloaded Castlevania:SOTN (never played it much but a friend had it back in the day and I loved it), along with other emulations as well .. I am debating getting a PS-X emulator so I could replay FF7-10 again ... and still have to beat FF5 for SNES.. there's a lot of other games coming soon as well, or that need my attention...

Shaolin-Style
10-16-2009, 03:12 AM
I still want to play it but what bugs me is they're releasing DLC content from day 1.

That means they're not packaging content that could have added to the overall story and game experience at launch, and making you pay extra if you want to get a more fulfilling experience.

LnGrrrR
10-16-2009, 09:06 AM
+1

I pre-ordered Borderlands from Steam, I am playing Risen right now, along with a myriad of other games (previous thread) and now BioWare is dropping the must-have RPG of the year on my head and I still havent gotten to Demon Souls yet.

..fuckin video games...

There's too many f'ing good games coming out this year!

Why does my kid have to come out next week? :lol Doesn't he know I have Modern Warfare 2 to play? And Bioshock 2? And this game? Yeesh!

LnGrrrR
10-16-2009, 09:06 AM
dude, I know.

MW2, 2k10, I'm still addicted to Oblivion and still have shit to do/find, I haven't even scratched the surface of FO3 and its myriad expansions, I just downloaded Castlevania:SOTN (never played it much but a friend had it back in the day and I loved it), along with other emulations as well .. I am debating getting a PS-X emulator so I could replay FF7-10 again ... and still have to beat FF5 for SNES.. there's a lot of other games coming soon as well, or that need my attention...

SotN is one of the best adventure games ever.

z0sa
10-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I still want to play it but what bugs me is they're releasing DLC content from day 1.

DLC is a good thing.

That means they're not packaging content that could have added to the overall story and game experience at launch, and making you pay extra if you want to get a more fulfilling experience.

Probably means it was just overflowing with content anyway, knowing BioWare.

z0sa
10-16-2009, 11:28 AM
SotN is one of the best adventure games ever.

Thus far, I'd have to agree. Almost RPGish in a way, but tons of classic Castlevania style action/platforming.

z0sa
10-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Dragon Age received a positive review from Game Informer, which gave it 10/10.

GI NEVER gives 10/10, like <10 total for their entire 15+ year history. This game is probably incredible.

kbrury
10-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Just some clarifications if you buy a new copy of DAO you will get one of the DLCs for free, while the other one will be $7. The game is said to have over 80 hours of gameplay and they also already have 2 years of DLC planned.

This game will be pretty awesome and I must say is this one of the best years in gaming ever?

phyzik
10-18-2009, 05:00 PM
FYI:

If you pre-order the Deluxe Edition ($65) from www.Direct2drive.com they are throwing in a bunch of bonus items and other stuff that I dont think you get if you pre-order from say a place like gamestop. Here's the list of everything you get.

Dalish Ring Stats: (Increased effectiveness of healing effects, Subtract damage from darkspawn attacks, Increase combat health regeneration)

Memory Band Stats: (Adds +1% to XP, Adds one skill point)

Stone Prisoner
Introduced is a brand new party member Shale: a hulking golem with a unique play-style and devastating new abilities. Also included are all new quests that take you on a journey through sleepy town with a secret to Dwarven city. Find new items, achievements, and more!

Warden's Keep
Discover what happened to the Grey Wardens order at their darkest hour and unlock secrets hidden for generations. This new content will lead you on a harrowing adventure with all new achievements, unlockable character abilities, powerful items, and much more!

3 exclusive in-game items
Bergen’s Honor: A massive helmet made out of dragonbone (+2 to armor, +25 physical resistance, +6 to attack)
Grimoire of the Frozen Wates: A special book that adds +3 to all attributes when read
Final Reason: A magical staff of immense power (adds to damage, spell power, and fire damage)

Blood Dragon Armor
An exclusive customized armor set for both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins

Digital Soundtrack and Wallpapers
Get the digital soundtrack and exlusive wallpapers.

thats alot of stuff!

kbrury
10-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Youll get the same value if you buy a hard copy of the CE edition or order the DDE from elsewhere I believe its just that the items are different for each store except the dragon armor and these three; Bergen’s Honor, Grimoire of the Frozen Wates, Final Reason.

kbrury
10-25-2009, 12:05 PM
just a note the Ps3 version was going to be released at later date but Bioware just announced that the game will be availiable on the three systems on Nov 3.

z0sa
10-25-2009, 04:54 PM
I read the GI review. This game actually received a 9/10 (never trust wikipedia). Uncharted 2 received a 10/10 and beat this game out for Game of the Month. Still, the reviewer was very positive and highlighted mainly on how expansively long the game is as well as the obvious hearkening back to the Baldur's Gate series BioWare made themselves on, including hands-on party control as opposed to Mass Effect style NPC-parties.

kbrury
11-03-2009, 10:34 AM
just got it installing on my PC but gamespot just reviewed the three systems.

PC 9.5 Xbox 8.5 PS3 9.0

only negatives were just a few glitches and hiccups.

phyzik
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
damn, I went back 5 pages looking for this thread and couldnt find it, so I started another one, I must have skipped over it or something :lol

DarkReign
11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Got it waiting for me at the local Gamestop. Counting hours...

kbrury
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
damn, I went back 5 pages looking for this thread and couldnt find it, so I started another one, I must have skipped over it or something :lol

Its all good it deserves the exposure, almost finished intsalling!!!!

kbrury
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/video/6238644/dragon-age-origins-video-review
heres the video review also explains the difference between the versions which is pretty much that the graphics are better on PC which is expected.

Cry Havoc
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Too....

Many....

Games!

:depressed

Heath Ledger
11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I stay away from RPG's I have two friends that are so consumed by them that all they do is sit on their computer and smoke cigarettes. When they aren't sleeping they are playing and smoking. It's very sad.

kbrury
11-03-2009, 12:38 PM
I stay away from RPG's I have two friends that are so consumed by them that all they do is sit on their computer and smoke cigarettes. When they aren't sleeping they are playing and smoking. It's very sad.

There are pretty much people like that for all genres probably even more for shooters.

DarkReign
11-03-2009, 12:56 PM

Hmmm, sounds like me for about...ooohhh, the next 2 weeks.

If I could quit smoking, I wouldnt care as much about the sitting. I dont eat anyway.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-03-2009, 01:13 PM

I know quite a few people like that as well. Their problem doesn't lie in the games themselves. They just don't have a fucking clue how to manage their lives. Playing games isn't the problem, having no concept of appropriate measures is.

Shaolin-Style
11-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm starting to realize why people hate steam.

This decryption crap is gonna take an hour or more...

Why do I not pirate games like this when they hassle legitimate customers...ffs.

kbrury
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
I always buy the hard copies of games I know I will like, I try to stay away from Steam.

z0sa
11-03-2009, 10:38 PM
I've put in 6 hours now. It's definitely a hearkening back to Baldur's Gate times. The combat could be a little easier but its pretty damn good. While it lacks the incredible scope of Oblivion, it is thus far well acted, action packed and interesting. It's not stunning graphically but still strong.

Oh and playing games and smoking all day pretty much sums up my next few months. I've got so much shit to do its just insane, especially when MW2 is released.

Hank the Tank
11-03-2009, 11:23 PM
There are way too many fucking games that have come out or will in the near future. I have to say though, there are only 4 that have me super excited. This one, Modern Warfare 2, Mass Effect 2, and FFXIII...and I know the latter two aren't released until next year.

I'll pick this up over the weekend. I'm glad to have another Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, etc. type western RPG since I hated Oblivion and thought Fallout 3 was only ok. I guess those first person/shitty 3rd person type exploration games aren't my cup of tea.

z0sa
11-04-2009, 09:37 AM
if you think Oblivion's annoying, you should play Morrowind. Buggy as hell, the people constantly misdirected you on your missions while the dev team denied you mission/goal markers, and every fight was also a battle with your stamina to simply keep fighting.

Once you've dealt with this and much other BS for hudnreds of hours, Oblivion seems spectacularly refined. FO3 even more so.

One of my biggest qualms with Oblivion though, is the difficulty meter. Instead of actually making the game harder in a more diverse way, increasing the difficulty simply makes you weaker and the enemies stronger proportionately. It's a fairly common theme in these types of epic-scope RPGs, but I thought Oblivion could have been much better with a different or heavily altered system. FO3 seems to be a microcosm of that, except they have much decreased how powerful the enemies are at higher levels while ammo/items are less distributed - better, but still not satisfactory.

Shaolin-Style
11-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Definitely was worth the money, I've not progressed far into the main story but I've made three different characters just to do the origin stories. Being a mage has been the most fulfilling for me so far.

phyzik
11-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Has anyone arrived at the quest to revive the golem, Shale? Im at the last part where I save Amalia and she is with the cat/deamon.. I dont want the demon possessing Amalia but dont have enough persuasion skill to stop it, is there another way?

z0sa
11-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Still in Lothering LOL

DarkReign
11-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Still in Lothering LOL

same

Human Warrior, btw.

MiamiHeat
11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I love bioware just like everyone else, and I would love to buy this game, BUT

Modern Warfare 2 comes out in a few days

and then Left 4 Dead 2 comes out a few days after that

How am I supposed to dedicate the massive amount of hours into an epic RPG when I have those 2 games coming out soon?

I'll wait until next year probably to buy this game, when I've satisfied my need for killing terrorists and zombies.

IronMexican
11-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I never understood how people likes L4D.

MiamiHeat
11-05-2009, 03:02 PM
ironmexican

that girl in your sig has a facebook page and a ton of pictures for public view on it

z0sa
11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
same

Human Warrior, btw.

Same. I've opted to seek out the elves in the Brecilian Forest as opposed to immediately go to Redcliffe. I'm wondering if that was the best option as thus far, the forest seems rather massive and full of powerful creatures.

I'm really digging this game. It's actually a shame that MW2 comes out so soon because I can already tell this requires 100+ hours of devotion to complete it all with just a single character.

DarkReign
11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
@ z0sa

Same again! I gathered Redcliffe was the next "main quest", so I always choose to diverge as often as I can from it.

As for any other games, the only one I care for coming out is God of War Collection for PS3. That will not interfere with DA in any forseeable way.

The next big game I care about doesnt come out until late January (MAG...my first console FPS I am going to try at the behest of my good friend). So I have months of spare time to devote to DA.

z0sa
11-05-2009, 04:46 PM
@ z0sa

Same again! I gathered Redcliffe was the next "main quest", so I always choose to diverge as often as I can from it.

I'm the same way. When diverging from the "set" path is possible, I tend to do so. However, there's no telling (at this point, at least) that there's actually a set path in this game.

z0sa
11-05-2009, 04:51 PM
One problem I am having : I reserved DA at gamestop long ago, and thus received the free DLC they offer. However, neither DLC works - though the ingame one, for the Golem or the other quest, worked just fine along with another free DLC coupon on the back for some item.

Damn gamestop.

Hank the Tank
11-06-2009, 03:10 PM
hey guys i got a question. i thought for sure my PC could run this thing but now after going to the "Can You Run It?" site, I'm not sure I can run it as well as I thought.

These are my specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
NVidia GeForce 9800 GT
3.2GB RAM
Windows 7 Home

I'm thinking that site is full of shit or something since it is just barely over the minimum settings line. It recommends more RAM and an Intel Quad Core. I'd hate to have to get the shitty port on the 360 or PS3.

jman3000
11-06-2009, 08:24 PM
fuck you bioware. fuck you and your mother fucking rpgs.

:pctoss

z0sa
11-06-2009, 08:34 PM
fuck you bioware. fuck you and your mother fucking rpgs.

:pctoss

What happened

jman3000
11-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I fucking love bioware. that's what happened. i love them so much i hate them with a passion.

z0sa
11-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I fucking love bioware. that's what happened. i love them so much i hate them with a passion.

DA:O is fucking great, isn't it?

jman3000
11-06-2009, 08:51 PM
If my penis was small enough I'd put it in the hole in the middle of the cd.

symple19
11-06-2009, 09:18 PM
If my penis was small enough I'd put it in the hole in the middle of the cd.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Zosa, I saw you referencing Morrowind. I loved that fucking game. I have a notebook half full of notes I took while playing it. The interface kinda sucked, but it was soooo huge and involving. I loved Oblivion too, but thinking back, I still think I liked Morrowind better than it or FO3. Bethesda is by far my favorite dev, but Bioware is a close second.

Haven't got DAO yet but eventually I will. Reading these posts is making me salivate. Mass Effect 2 is coming as well, it's a good time to be alive!!!

jman3000
11-06-2009, 09:25 PM
cliff racers. the very thought of those fuckers enrages me.

After seeing the Rakks in Borderlands I got all sorts of horrific flashbacks.

jman3000
11-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I once spent over an hour in a vain attempt at killing Vivec in ESIII.

symple19
11-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I once spent over an hour in a vain attempt at killing Vivec in ESIII.

rofl

symple19
11-07-2009, 12:39 PM
anybody know where Bethesda is taking scrolls next...What I mean is, which continent?

MaNuMaNiAc
11-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I really can't seem to get a hang of the party system. I keep going because I think that eventually, I'll get the hang of it and start actually enjoying playing the game, but so far no luck. I guess this game isn't my cup of tea. Great grafics though, and remarkable voice acting. Too bad.

z0sa
11-08-2009, 03:09 PM
I really can't seem to get a hang of the party system. I keep going because I think that eventually, I'll get the hang of it and start actually enjoying playing the game, but so far no luck. I guess this game isn't my cup of tea. Great grafics though, and remarkable voice acting. Too bad.

The party system could be a little bit better, but as is combat is very enjoyable for me. What exactly are you having trouble with?

If its the fact you have to micromanage many battles, ie constantly pausing/switching players for potions, attacks, and spells, then maybe it isn't for you because that's what this game and all the other similar party style games use.

That doesn't mean you can't direct them and go to another guy - you can still specify targets even if they're far away, plus using certain abilities pauses the game, etc. The main things you have to micromanage are healing, casting powers/spells, and general movement/tactics. You want to flank your enemies (the black bar on their back is the flanking area), especially with Rogues but everyone gets a substantial bonus for hitting them in the back. Also, make sure you set your player tactics to their best abilities and change them if the battle calls for it. Don't forget about your items, spells/powers you may not think to use etc. You should have a mage of some sort who can use multiple different types of spells and morph. Don't be afraid to retreat or move your players around so as to disperse groups of enemies hacking away at one player's flank.

DarkReign
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
First and foremost, DA:O is one of the best games ever made. I have been gaming for 25+ years and this game is right up there with the first time I seen Mortal Kombat at the arcade and the first time I laid my eyes on Super Mario Bros for NES.

It is that fucking great (not good, fucking great). I concur with jman in every respect.

If youve ever played and RPG or had even a mild interest in one, then you owe yourself to buy this game and play it multiple times. It is sick! Mad, I tell you.

Onward and upwards...

As it pertains to combat and any difficulty one may be having in that respect, I implore only patience.

The game is hard, especially at the beginning before you have a diverse party. I offer these tips:

1. One tank with Taunt ability - my Hero is a human warrior specced for tanking. Turn on the passive Threaten and start every fight that has multiple enemies with Taunt.

2. Have a healer - even if he/she is not a dedicated healer, 'tis better to have the ability then to not. Set his/her tactics appropriately so that healing spells take precedence over everything else. If using Morrigan in that role, be sure to micromanage her offensive abilities yourself.

3. PAUSE OFTEN!! - this game is not meant to be played in real-time, unless youre extremely proficient and skilled at switching control and using abilities. If you see problems arising, pause the damn battle and think! Where are my party members on the field? Are my healers healing? Are my ranged attackers at proper range (not in the melee)? Is my tank healthy and healed and drawing the aggro? Do any of my team have negative status effects that can be cured? Etc. etc. Act accordingly on these questions...move your archers to their maximum range away from the fighting, same for any and all mages, heal here, cast there, move around the target to flank them (especially if a party member is a melee rogue).

4. Tactics are your friend - the tactics menu ("\" key on PC) can be daunting to comprehend. I played Final Fantasy 10 a lot so I immediately knew what this system was (FF10 started it). But to newcomer, it could be seen as an "extra" that you dont have to pay attention to. I would disagree sharply. If you have a healer in your crew, a proper tactics setup with that character can all but eliminate your need to manage them at all (save for big heal spells like Mass Rejuvination or Revival). They'll keep everyone's health at optimal levels and if you so prefer, conserve their mana for healing only. A proper tactics setup for an archer is also beneficial with some pre-planning on your part. When to use Critical Shot (which is an automatic critical hit, so if an enemy is Frozen, it is shattered...tactic would look like Condition: Enemy -> Status: Frozen - Action: Use ability -> Critical Shot). The possibilities are endless in this regard, how you play is probably vastly different than I do. I spent too much time with World of Warcraft, so my thinking is blurred and influenced by my time there (tank, damage, healer, healer/damage hybrid).

5. Concentrate your fire - do not be overwhelmed by numbers. A properly placed AoE (area of effect) spell can whittle or kill most enemies (along with your own party if youre not careful - watch for friendly fire). Setting tactics so that all your party attacks the same target as your tank is crucial, IMO. Immobilize/Incapacitate the strongest one first, then pick off the weak ones. More or less, anyway.

6. The game is hard - Its meant to be. I have had multiple situations where I got my ass kicked the first time I attempted something, only to re-think my strategy and approach it differently. Suddenly, the fight that was difficult was suddenly very easy and I felt like a fool afterward (a rewarded fool, nonetheless). Use choke-points on the map (namely doors and natural ravines) so that your melee blocks the path to your ranged party members. Become familiar with the mechanics of having your party follow or wander ("H" on PC). I fight a great many fights with having my party on wander so that theyre not constantly getting in the fray unintentionally.

Just a couple tips Ive learned. I havent used any poisons, traps or the like, but I am sure they could be useful if I cared to try.

I am a completionist who wastes a lot of time on side quests. I have still not gone to Redcliffe and I just completed the Magi Tower. I am a lvl12 human Warrior Berserker. I roll Morrigan, Leliana and <insert useful member here>. This game is the best I have played in years if not my entire life. Truly, the Game of the Year, if not the decade...if not all time. Truly remarkable in every way imaginable.

z0sa
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
DarkReign, I 100% agree this is one of the best traditional RPGs ever made. It's not open ended to the extreme a la Elder Scrolls/Fallout (kill anyone at any time, pickup/open any object, roam essentially free over a huge world, etc) so IMO it loses points for scope.

That said, there's obviously much to excite. The voice acting and dialogue options are tremendously rounded and very well done. The party/combat system is essentially perfect, save for a couple minor hiccups. The approval system is great fun. The actual storyline/world is very intriguing and realistic, so to speak. Racial and class tensions, for example, are well documented and inherently real for the various NPCs and party members alike. It's not the first in its vein, but BioWare has outdone just about everyone except themselves here.

Höfner
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Sounds good.

kbrury
11-09-2009, 04:29 PM
It is one of the best games I have ever played and ive only scratched the surface of the story so far.

phyzik
11-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Just finished the game... Man, there are some TOUGH choices towards the end. I was litterally sitting at the response screen for up to 5 minutes on some of them, unsure what to do. I finished it with a city elf warrior using dual wield skill and going champion and berserker. I finished most of the quests but there where a few I missed.

Created a human mage and Im going to play through it again trying to get ALL of the quests done.

After I complete that one I may do some custom mods to see what I can come up with using the toolset. I cant wait to see what other people come up with and some more DLC's to extend the story. :tu

phyzik
11-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Who are your favorite team members so far purely from a standpoint of dialog?

Here's my top 5....

1. Shale... The golem makes me laugh everytime I talk to him.... I knew he would be one of my favorites when I saw the cutsceen after picking him up and leaving the town... (I wont spoil it) :lol

2. Alistair... The guy has a good sense of Humor and actually almost felt like a real friend. His voiice actor was, IMHO, the best at portraying emotion.

3. Leliana... I love her accent and the romance options where engaging.

4. Oghren... The dudes a drinker, just like me!

5. Zevran... dispite his initial homosexual tendancies (if you havnt met him yet, you will soon see) he is pretty fucking funny.

as far as the team I used to win the final battle..... I used Alistair (the other grey warden), Leilana (my "lover" in the game, had her setup as a master archer) and Wynne (her healing is awesome if your a warrior class an can keep her alive).

symple19
11-14-2009, 07:47 PM
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I finally got it

Went with the human Warrior

symple19
11-14-2009, 07:50 PM
First and foremost, DA:O is one of the best games ever made. I have been gaming for 25+ years and this game is right up there with the first time I seen Mortal Kombat at the arcade and the first time I laid my eyes on Super Mario Bros for NES.

It is that fucking great (not good, fucking great). I concur with jman in every respect.

If youve ever played and RPG or had even a mild interest in one, then you owe yourself to buy this game and play it multiple times. It is sick! Mad, I tell you.

Onward and upwards...

As it pertains to combat and any difficulty one may be having in that respect, I implore only patience.

The game is hard, especially at the beginning before you have a diverse party. I offer these tips:

1. One tank with Taunt ability - my Hero is a human warrior specced for tanking. Turn on the passive Threaten and start every fight that has multiple enemies with Taunt.

2. Have a healer - even if he/she is not a dedicated healer, 'tis better to have the ability then to not. Set his/her tactics appropriately so that healing spells take precedence over everything else. If using Morrigan in that role, be sure to micromanage her offensive abilities yourself.

3. PAUSE OFTEN!! - this game is not meant to be played in real-time, unless youre extremely proficient and skilled at switching control and using abilities. If you see problems arising, pause the damn battle and think! Where are my party members on the field? Are my healers healing? Are my ranged attackers at proper range (not in the melee)? Is my tank healthy and healed and drawing the aggro? Do any of my team have negative status effects that can be cured? Etc. etc. Act accordingly on these questions...move your archers to their maximum range away from the fighting, same for any and all mages, heal here, cast there, move around the target to flank them (especially if a party member is a melee rogue).

4. Tactics are your friend - the tactics menu ("\" key on PC) can be daunting to comprehend. I played Final Fantasy 10 a lot so I immediately knew what this system was (FF10 started it). But to newcomer, it could be seen as an "extra" that you dont have to pay attention to. I would disagree sharply. If you have a healer in your crew, a proper tactics setup with that character can all but eliminate your need to manage them at all (save for big heal spells like Mass Rejuvination or Revival). They'll keep everyone's health at optimal levels and if you so prefer, conserve their mana for healing only. A proper tactics setup for an archer is also beneficial with some pre-planning on your part. When to use Critical Shot (which is an automatic critical hit, so if an enemy is Frozen, it is shattered...tactic would look like Condition: Enemy -> Status: Frozen - Action: Use ability -> Critical Shot). The possibilities are endless in this regard, how you play is probably vastly different than I do. I spent too much time with World of Warcraft, so my thinking is blurred and influenced by my time there (tank, damage, healer, healer/damage hybrid).

5. Concentrate your fire - do not be overwhelmed by numbers. A properly placed AoE (area of effect) spell can whittle or kill most enemies (along with your own party if youre not careful - watch for friendly fire). Setting tactics so that all your party attacks the same target as your tank is crucial, IMO. Immobilize/Incapacitate the strongest one first, then pick off the weak ones. More or less, anyway.

6. The game is hard - Its meant to be. I have had multiple situations where I got my ass kicked the first time I attempted something, only to re-think my strategy and approach it differently. Suddenly, the fight that was difficult was suddenly very easy and I felt like a fool afterward (a rewarded fool, nonetheless). Use choke-points on the map (namely doors and natural ravines) so that your melee blocks the path to your ranged party members. Become familiar with the mechanics of having your party follow or wander ("H" on PC). I fight a great many fights with having my party on wander so that theyre not constantly getting in the fray unintentionally.

Just a couple tips Ive learned. I havent used any poisons, traps or the like, but I am sure they could be useful if I cared to try.

I am a completionist who wastes a lot of time on side quests. I have still not gone to Redcliffe and I just completed the Magi Tower. I am a lvl12 human Warrior Berserker. I roll Morrigan, Leliana and <insert useful member here>. This game is the best I have played in years if not my entire life. Truly, the Game of the Year, if not the decade...if not all time. Truly remarkable in every way imaginable.

Thanks for this DR, it'll prove to be helpful I'm sure

phyzik
11-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Playing through a mage now, doing every quest available.... shale's quest is a pretty big suprise if you do take "it" to the deep roads.... I was suprised.

Shaolin-Style
11-15-2009, 03:08 AM
I've made about 5 different characters so far and haven't actually completed the game.

I've made two mages and they seem to be the funnest by far. I totally accidentally discovered the trick with the glyph spells and was blown away at how easy it got after using that combo. In general it seems like playing a mage makes things lots easier, especially with the forcefield for telekinesis working on almost every boss to buy you time to kill minions/heal up/tank ect. Seems like I draw a lot of aggro on my arcane warrior and force fielding myself while a revenant or something bashes on me makes things much easier.

phyzik
11-15-2009, 03:24 AM
I've made about 5 different characters so far and haven't actually completed the game.

I've made two mages and they seem to be the funnest by far. I totally accidentally discovered the trick with the glyph spells and was blown away at how easy it got after using that combo. In general it seems like playing a mage makes things lots easier, especially with the forcefield for telekinesis working on almost every boss to buy you time to kill minions/heal up/tank ect. Seems like I draw a lot of aggro on my arcane warrior and force fielding myself while a revenant or something bashes on me makes things much easier.

You have no idea how easy it can be with a mage character now that Im playing one.

It may be a little bit tough to begin with but follow this plan and you will have an invincible team.

Make a mage but dont focus on attack spells at all, focus on the sustained skills like flaming weapons and frost weapons (of course take the frost skill and mage bolt to begin with for at least SOME offense). Focus on the sustained skills for defense such as arcane armor and arcane shield.

The idea to begin the game is to let your team members take care of the business.

In the creation skill set, max out the healing skill line.

Take Spirit healer and Arcane warrior when you can as far as advancement levels. Once you get a point in arcane warrior, put on some armor and a good weapon and shield. use melee more than your attack spells. As an arcane warrior your character doesnt put away weapons when you are casting party beneficial spells such as healing.

Run arcane shield, Rock armor, any weapon ehancements (flaming weapons, frost weapons, kinetik weapons) along with combat magic from the arcane warrior line and your team will be set. Make sure to advance the spirit healer line to at least get group heal.... Getting all the way to clensing aura just makes your party even more rediculously powerfull.

whatever group you pick will be invincible if you play it right.

symple19
11-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Good stuff Phyzik.

I'm a bit into it now and I must say it's fucking unbelievably awesome. Very immersive, just like playing a movie. The story is tight, and the writing/voice acting is superb. The battle scenes toward the beginning (before climbing the tower to light the beacon) were amazing.

I like some of the smaller touches, such as being able to use the giant crossbows to aid your battles, or letting war dogs out of their cages and then leading Darkspawn to them.

Morrigan is by far my favorite NPC thus far. She treats Alistair like shit, which is hilarious. Their back and forth is usually priceless.

I'm playing it as a good guy, more or less. I'm a warrior but I haven't made it far enough to specialize yet. My next character will be a rogue for sure and then a mage.

Some questions.

How different of an experience has it been for those of you who've played with more than one character?

Any advice on traps/poison/enchanting? Good materials, components etc?

Dark Reign, how did you build your warrior? Any advice?
Good Rogue build?
Good build for Alistair? (templar build)

Any more good advice on overall team tactics would be much appreciated.

One method I've been using is to set up my group in a favorable position (archer high, mage behind, Warrior in front) and then take my character and venture forward to the enemies and draw them out, one at a time if possible (or in small groups). I'll then lead them into my group, where they rarely survive long. I make sure even my warriors have a decent ranged weapon for this reason, as you can deal a fuckload of damage before they ever make it to the main group, and then the two frontline characters can slay them easily. It's not always possible due to terrain, but whenever I can this is what I do. I'm still early on yet, so hopefully I'll learn much more

Thanks to all those who've taken the time to post their advice here, much appreciated!!

MiamiHeat
11-16-2009, 05:15 AM
i am buying this and left 4 dead 2 on the xbox 360 for 34.99 each on black friday

z0sa
11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
MW2 took me for a ride. I'm now back to playing Da:O. The magi tower was a trip to say the least.

DarkReign
11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Some questions.

How different of an experience has it been for those of you who've played with more than one character?

Dont know, still rolling my warrior.

Any advice on traps/poison/enchanting? Good materials, components etc?

Also something I havent touched at all.

Dark Reign, how did you build your warrior? Any advice?

Yes, I have advice. Dont do what I did and go all shield-mastery bullshit in the early going.

First, get the Blood Armor DLC thing-a-ma-bob. Totally fucking worth it. You get the chest piece but have to buy the remaining pieces from the vendor that shows up in your camp. Bee-line your leveling to 38 Strength so you can wear the armor.

Make a damage dealer, let some other scmuck do the tanking (if you bought the Stone Prisoner DLC, you'll know who to use as your tank). Or, if youre cheap like me and didnt buy any extras, you get stuck in the tank role. Youre basically forced to play with 3 ranged characters at this stage.

Yeah...warrior, not so much fun as compared to a mage. I basically treat my Main Character like a NPC. I am in constant control of Morrigan, more fun really.

I havent experimented with any of the two-handed skill tree. I havent because the one time I did equip a two-handed sword, the time it took to swing once was utterly ridiculous as to be nearly useless, IMO. Half the time I didnt even hit what I was swinging at. Could be my character build...could be that two-handed is just plain gimped....dont know, but I dont see anything in the build tree that speeds up the swing and that is by far the biggest problem with using a 2H.

Just go up both the Warrior specific chains (Powerful, Threaten, Bravery, Death Blow and Precise Striking, Taunt, Disengage, Perfect Striking).

From what I have read, the warrior specializations are sort of gimped one way or the other.

I went with Berserker and have an eye for Champion or Reaver at lvl14. Havent found anyone to train me in either discipline seeing as I am lvl14 already, but no matter. Berserker seems pretty useless as it is, cant imagine the other specilization being any more utilitarian.

More or less, depending on your build, you'll either be the main tank or a very gimped damage dealer. You can tank well, extremely well actually, but not the best (there is another character who is the best). You can do damage, but nowhere even near a Mage and even to a lesser extent, a backstabbing Rogue.

Honestly, just do what you do with the warrior anyway you want.

My one bang-on, must-do advice is to get the Blood Armor and bee-line to 38 strength so you can wear it. It changes the game instantly.

Good build for Alistair? (templar build)

No idea, I ditched Alistair the moment I figured out the game mechanics. I had a choice....keep another weak-ass, defensive warrior in the mix, or put in a face-melting mage?

Yeah...

Any more good advice on overall team tactics would be much appreciated.

One method I've been using is to set up my group in a favorable position (archer high, mage behind, Warrior in front) and then take my character and venture forward to the enemies and draw them out, one at a time if possible (or in small groups). I'll then lead them into my group, where they rarely survive long. I make sure even my warriors have a decent ranged weapon for this reason, as you can deal a fuckload of damage before they ever make it to the main group, and then the two frontline characters can slay them easily. It's not always possible due to terrain, but whenever I can this is what I do. I'm still early on yet, so hopefully I'll learn much more

Thanks to all those who've taken the time to post their advice here, much appreciated!!

You have the right idea but the game does a good job of throwing enemies at you later on that have...specific abilities that require some pre-planning on behalf of your more "squishy" party members (those do not wear armor).

I dont know if you have played any MMOs like WoW or EQ, but the basics of group combat are honed and learned in that environment. DA:O actually does a really good job of removing the need for other players and delivering a single player experience that teaches the basics of group combat, MMO or otherwise.

1st Rule: Have Tank, will travel! Every group needs a meat shield. A guy to absorb all the damage and be the focus of the enemy's attack. Preferably, all of their attacks if you have the health and healing to keep up with it. DA:O, again, does a good job here with a warrior class that has aggro management with a sustained ability like Threaten (more aggro) and two abilities like Taunt (more aggro) and Disengage (less aggro). Keeping the enemies attention on one player has obvious benefits. You only have to heal one guy, so youre managing mana/health pots efficiently amongst your group. The fight stays focused and unchaotic letting you manage who dies and how quickly by either focus firing at range, positioning your mages for Cone spells or AoE attacks, positioning Rogues around their flanks for auto-backstab bonuses to damage (BIG damage increase...HUGE), etc. Side note: When your tank has aggro, be sure to turn the enemy around so that any AoE or Cone spells they cast do not hit your party. This mostly deals with tougher boss fights, but is extremely important nonetheless.

2nd Rule: Damage, Inc. Need damage, lots of it. I prefer ranged damage, but a rogue or a flanking warrior can be fun for a switch every now and then. Morrigan is a beast, so is Lelianna and Zevran. Do like youre doing, keep them away from the melee combat, hit from afar and from on high. This is where the party toggle has to be well understood. If your party is on follow, these assholes will move around like jack rabbits trying to kill everything that moves. So all that tactical planning you did to get the enemy in a certain position to limit your "squishies" exposure goes for naught in about 4 fucking seconds. I prefer to have them Hold Position in most fights...they will not move unless ordered, like, ever, for any reason. Tank dying? Oh well, wont move into healing range. Boss needs one last shot from a mage to be dead and gone? Not moving, holding position, boss lives. Its like a manual transmission, your tank is the clutch, you are the stick shift. I prefer it this way, much cleaner experience, less chaos, more planning, Tactics Menu heavy.

3rd Rule: HealBots Anonymous You need a healer. One healer for sure (certain character comes your way if you play it right, he/she is a sick healer). I actually specced Morrigan to heal intially because no one else I knew could heal....it makes the early game a little harder than it should be not having any way to heal save for Pots (health potions). I always prefer to have more than one healer anyway, just the way I roll. So with the aforementioned main healer in group and Morrigan being capable, I straight never die. Set your tactics up so your main healer heals your Main Character with Regeneration if his HP falls below 90% and to Heal when it falls below 75%. Have your hybrid (Morrigan in my case) to cast Regeneration at below 75% and to Heal at 50%. You...will...never...die. Morrigan will barely cast any healing spell, she's just a stop gap in case your main goes OOM (out of mana) and you dont notice beforehand. Beyond that, youre golden.

These 3 pieces of advice are are summed up and can always be referred to by the traditional phrase: Tank and Spank. If youve played an MMO, youve heard and used this phrase before. It refers to straight up fights with no anomalies (like teleporting bosses, random curses to party members or obscure but required tactics in order to defeat an enemy(ies)). It means who has aggro will keep aggro so long as the Damage people dont over-do it.

kbrury
11-16-2009, 03:03 PM
My party consists of my dual wielding warrior, Meatshield Alistair, Leliana, and Morrigan. I have no problems with just having Morrigan as my healer what I do to avoid a lot of the damage is using ice spells and also the great combo of sleep and Waking Nightmare.

Waking Nightmare is one of the best spells in the game it causes enemies to go to sleep, be stunned, attack other enemies, or just do nothing. Also when you combine it with sleep it always works. Then I also use cone of cold a lot especially on tougher monster it even worked on the High Dragon at the Mountain top.

IronMexican
11-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I am about 30 minutes in and have no idea what's going on.

DarkReign
11-16-2009, 04:39 PM
My party consists of my dual wielding warrior, Meatshield Alistair, Leliana, and Morrigan. I have no problems with just having Morrigan as my healer what I do to avoid a lot of the damage is using ice spells and also the great combo of sleep and Waking Nightmare.

Waking Nightmare is one of the best spells in the game it causes enemies to go to sleep, be stunned, attack other enemies, or just do nothing. Also when you combine it with sleep it always works. Then I also use cone of cold a lot especially on tougher monster it even worked on the High Dragon at the Mountain top.

Fuck...dual-wielding. That'd probably be a huge boost to dmg with a warrior. Good call.

phyzik
11-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Fuck...dual-wielding. That'd probably be a huge boost to dmg with a warrior. Good call.

Thats what I used on my first character. Once you max it out you can use a full length one handed weapon in your offhand providing for some spectacular damage dealing.

kbrury
11-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Yep my Warrior has done about 65% of my party's total dmg.

nkdlunch
11-16-2009, 05:36 PM
There are way too many fucking games that have come out or will in the near future. I have to say though, there are only 4 that have me super excited. This one, Modern Warfare 2, Mass Effect 2, and FFXIII...and I know the latter two aren't released until next year.

I'll pick this up over the weekend. I'm glad to have another Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, etc. type western RPG since I hated Oblivion and thought Fallout 3 was only ok. I guess those first person/shitty 3rd person type exploration games aren't my cup of tea.

damn! icewind dale/planescape were the shit!!!

this game is like those?

I did enjoy Oblivion though, just beat the main quest. :tu

phyzik
11-17-2009, 01:34 AM
damn! icewind dale/planescape were the shit!!!

this game is like those?

I did enjoy Oblivion though, just beat the main quest. :tu

It's a pretty damn epic game considering all the character interaction... Think Mass effect but much more depth in regards to character interaction. All in all though, if you follow just the story line it doesnt match Planescape or anything like that... It took me a total of 18 hours to complete (I didnt just rush through it either). DLC and personal mods will make it way more epic given time.

It's definately no Oblvion though. Much more linear. Think Neverwitner Nights when it first came out. The difference though is the story arc for each character you make, there are subtle differences as you play the game but definately noticable depending on what type of character you make and how you decide to play them.

Im currently playing a mage character trying to finish every single quest... That alone has at LEAST doubled my playing time so far. The level of my mage is higher than the level of my warrior that I used to finish the game, and I still have much to do. By the time I go to finish it, the Darkspawn leader wont have a chance. :toast

IronMexican
11-17-2009, 01:48 AM
I don't even know what to do on the game right now. I had to do some fire script thing. And got really confused for the Mage.

phyzik
11-17-2009, 02:44 AM
I don't even know what to do on the game right now. I had to do some fire script thing. And got really confused for the Mage.

Some people just dont have the mental capacity required for imagination.. Are you one of those that has to have complex movies explained to you every 5 minutes on whats going on during the movie? :downspin:

Maybe read the back story in the manaul to understand whats going on.

Seriously though.... It's a fantasy game.... Imagine being warped into that reality... what would you do in the circumstances presented? thats all you need to follow. It's not about the best dialog for the best items.... Pick what you feel is right according to your personality when it comes to dialog. Thats when you will start to enjoy the game. All the combat and puzzle solving is secondary filler. It's all about the story. You remember those books that you read to a certain page and it would tell you "turn to this page if you want to this, or turn to this page if you want to do THIS!".

It's pretty much the same but much more advanced and with much more emotion.

I have never been able to play an "evil" character in these games, even if its just for fun, I always find myself trying to be helpfull. Every once in a while I deviate, but it depends on the situation.

phyzik
11-17-2009, 03:03 AM
If you REALLY must know whats going on.... here's the short version.

The blight (think of them as the undead) attack every few hundred years.

You are eventually recruited into the Grey Wardens. (A special task force of elite fighters against the blight).

Almost all of your comrades (Grey Wardens) are killed, its only you and one other member, Allister.

It's now up to just the two of you to stop a blight army where it normally takes several Wardens to accomplish.

The 2 of you cant possibly face a horde of demons alone.

time to gather an army and kick some ass.

What are you going to do?

DarkReign
11-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I like the sum up.

IronMexican
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Some people just dont have the mental capacity required for imagination.. Are you one of those that has to have complex movies explained to you every 5 minutes on whats going on during the movie? :downspin:

Maybe read the back story in the manaul to understand whats going on.

Seriously though.... It's a fantasy game.... Imagine being warped into that reality... what would you do in the circumstances presented? thats all you need to follow. It's not about the best dialog for the best items.... Pick what you feel is right according to your personality when it comes to dialog. Thats when you will start to enjoy the game. All the combat and puzzle solving is secondary filler. It's all about the story. You remember those books that you read to a certain page and it would tell you "turn to this page if you want to this, or turn to this page if you want to do THIS!".

It's pretty much the same but much more advanced and with much more emotion.

I have never been able to play an "evil" character in these games, even if its just for fun, I always find myself trying to be helpfull. Every once in a while I deviate, but it depends on the situation.

It's not the fantasy stuff that's throwing me off. The map marker keeps telling me to talk to this guy named Owain, but I've been talked to him and received the fire thing.

balli
11-17-2009, 12:17 PM
:lol Big +1 on that. In every 'moral storyline' RPG I always end up being an absolute saint. I can't help it. The evil just ain't in me.

DarkReign
11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
I always play the paragon of virtue on the first playthrough.

But my second playthrough is always extremely evil.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-17-2009, 01:17 PM
:lol Big +1 on that. In every 'moral storyline' RPG I always end up being an absolute saint. I can't help it. The evil just ain't in me.

This is mainly because in these sort of games, evil = asshole = dumbass. You're never presented with a cool evil choice, its always the rude jackass that can't keep his mouth shut. Its fucking annoying. I don't have a problem being ultimately evil, I do have a problem having to go about it like a retarded villain from some poorly written "B" movie.

z0sa
11-17-2009, 03:12 PM
This is mainly because in these sort of games, evil = asshole = dumbass. You're never presented with a cool evil choice, its always the rude jackass that can't keep his mouth shut. Its fucking annoying. I don't have a problem being ultimately evil, I do have a problem having to go about it like a retarded villain from some poorly written "B" movie.

Yep.

Being the 'paragon of virtue' ultimately feels smarter, even cooler.

These types of traditional RPGs kinda piss me off in that area. The freedom you would love to have just isn't there at times, especially when it comes to actually taking the whole kingdom down yourself or becoming its dictator as opposed to saving it or leaving it to its fate.

hater
11-17-2009, 04:17 PM
I agree about in these games being evil sucks. the evil characters are not even close to being as developed as the good characters. not to mention your character won't get pussy at all.

did you guys play The Witcher? how does this compare to that? I really enjoyed the witcher

kbrury
11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
This game is pretty well developed on the evil side a lot of the quests have a evil and good side. Like what to do with the Urn of sacred ashes or deciding what to do with Loghain.

Avitus1
11-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I dont really like RPGs but I'm actually thinking this one looks pretty cool.

IronMexican
11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
This game is finally picking up. Still a lot of asking random people questions and what not.

kbrury
11-18-2009, 12:07 AM
just beat it tonight, im sad now I want a sequel just like ME2 but it would be tough conisdering there are different endings.

DarkReign
11-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Since I quite smoking (8 days), I havent touched a video game. Some smokers say "i smoke when I drive" or "i smoke when i drink" or "i need a smoke after I eat".

My thing is/was, I smoke when I play video games. I tried playing DA:O this past weekend and all I could think about was smoking. Kind of fucking sucks, tbh.

symple19
11-18-2009, 12:01 PM
@DarkReign Yeah, I've played my share of MMORPGS. I'm much farther in now, so I'll update.

My main crew typically consists of Myself (Champion Warrior) Leliana (spec'd for archery but also does well as two handed melee) Morrigan(w/healing abilities) and Wynne (healmachine). I do use all of the characters though, with myself and Morrigan being the two constants.

I've cleared Redcliffe(including the urn), as well as the circle of Mages and 90% of the Brecilia woods. I've also done a fair bit of the missions in Denerim. I'm level 12 @37 hours played and 43% explored . (LOL, it's literally all I've done the last 4 days besides work. GF is pissed.)

Make a damage dealer, let some other scmuck do the tanking (if you bought the Stone Prisoner DLC, you'll know who to use as your tank). Or, if youre cheap like me and didnt buy any extras, you get stuck in the tank role. Youre basically forced to play with 3 ranged characters at this stage.

I won't touch any DLC until I've beaten it.

My warrior is good for dps. He's got some shield skills but is maxed in the Warrior line. When I have Wynne and Leliana doing buffs he's hell on wheels, leaving Morrigan to do whatever

Yeah...warrior, not so much fun as compared to a mage. I basically treat my Main Character like a NPC. I am in constant control of Morrigan, more fun really.

Same here. I control Morrigan(who also has heal/regen/reju) while my warrior and Leliani do grunt work. Wynne is set up in the tactics menu so I rarely have to mess with her.

Zevran and Sten(loses hp fast but does a fuckload of damage) are badass too, and I'm finally getting into the templar skills with Allistair and they're proving to be useful against some of the tougher spellcasters. I have him set up maxed on shields. My wardog also get's used a bit because he can tank about as well as any of my other characters. I basically just dumped points into str/dex/const/. Plus, I like how the Dog pisses Morrigan off all the time.

For romance I've got Morrigan (Leliani likes me a lot too but I can't kiss her yet) to like me enough to kiss her. I lawled when I went to the brothel in Denerim and lost favoritism points because I bought a whore. Nice touch by Bioware. I like the gift-giving system as well. Took me awhile to figure out the codex will update and tell you which gifts each NPC likes. Now I'm killin it as far as my likeability. I'll take any stat bonuses I can get.

The dialogue (writing) in this game is as good as any game I've ever played but...

I always play the paragon of virtue on the first playthrough.

But my second playthrough is always extremely evil.

Being the 'paragon of virtue' ultimately feels smarter, even cooler.

...I have to agree with you guys that devs need to do better at cultivating bad guys in these games. I tend to be a good guy in RPGs cuz i'm kind of an asshole in real life. :lol But, I definitely play through as a bad guy too, especially Fallout3 and Oblivion. Those two were rewarding for bad guys, despite the always corny bad-guy dialogue.

I like the crafting (poison/traps/alchemy) setup. One of the things I fuckin hate in most RPGs is how ridiculously boring and overly complicated any sort of crafting is. In this one, you buy (or learn) the recipe and so long as you have the skill/components/ingredients you just click and you're done. No having to look shit up online or having to amass a bunch of stupid pieces to put in a magic box type bullshit. Just simple and sweet. Very cool.

Did the fucking bridge in the gauntlet piss anyone else off? I resorted to drawing a fucking diagram to figure it out. Sheesh.

The Fade levels in the tower were awesome. Hella fun.

At the half-way point I feel confident saying this is the best RPG i've played since Oblivion and in my top 5 all time. Highly recommended.

phyzik
11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
@DarkReign Yeah, I've played my share of MMORPGS. I'm much farther in now, so I'll update.

My main crew typically consists of Myself (Champion Warrior) Leliana (spec'd for archery but also does well as two handed melee) Morrigan(w/healing abilities) and Wynne (healmachine). I do use all of the characters though, with myself and Morrigan being the two constants.

I've cleared Redcliffe(including the urn), as well as the circle of Mages and 90% of the Brecilia woods. I've also done a fair bit of the missions in Denerim. I'm level 12 @37 hours played and 43% explored . (LOL, it's literally all I've done the last 4 days besides work. GF is pissed.)

I won't touch any DLC until I've beaten it.

My warrior is good for dps. He's got some shield skills but is maxed in the Warrior line. When I have Wynne and Leliana doing buffs he's hell on wheels, leaving Morrigan to do whatever

Same here. I control Morrigan(who also has heal/regen/reju) while my warrior and Leliani do grunt work. Wynne is set up in the tactics menu so I rarely have to mess with her.

Zevran and Sten(loses hp fast but does a fuckload of damage) are badass too, and I'm finally getting into the templar skills with Allistair and they're proving to be useful against some of the tougher spellcasters. I have him set up maxed on shields. My wardog also get's used a bit because he can tank about as well as any of my other characters. I basically just dumped points into str/dex/const/. Plus, I like how the Dog pisses Morrigan off all the time.

For romance I've got Morrigan (Leliani likes me a lot too but I can't kiss her yet) to like me enough to kiss her. I lawled when I went to the brothel in Denerim and lost favoritism points because I bought a whore. Nice touch by Bioware. I like the gift-giving system as well. Took me awhile to figure out the codex will update and tell you which gifts each NPC likes. Now I'm killin it as far as my likeability. I'll take any stat bonuses I can get.

The dialogue (writing) in this game is as good as any game I've ever played but...

...I have to agree with you guys that devs need to do better at cultivating bad guys in these games. I tend to be a good guy in RPGs cuz i'm kind of an asshole in real life. :lol But, I definitely play through as a bad guy too, especially Fallout3 and Oblivion. Those two were rewarding for bad guys, despite the always corny bad-guy dialogue.

I like the crafting (poison/traps/alchemy) setup. One of the things I fuckin hate in most RPGs is how ridiculously boring and overly complicated any sort of crafting is. In this one, you buy (or learn) the recipe and so long as you have the skill/components/ingredients you just click and you're done. No having to look shit up online or having to amass a bunch of stupid pieces to put in a magic box type bullshit. Just simple and sweet. Very cool.

Did the fucking bridge in the gauntlet piss anyone else off? I resorted to drawing a fucking diagram to figure it out. Sheesh.

The Fade levels in the tower were awesome. Hella fun.

At the half-way point I feel confident saying this is the best RPG i've played since Oblivion and in my top 5 all time. Highly recommended.

:lol when I first got to the bridge in the gauntlet I messed around with it for like an hour. I was on a pretty big beer buzz so I figured I must be too drunk to figure out something so simple. I came back to it the next day and was still dumbfounded.... yeah, I had to draw a diagram of what each stone does :rollin

balli
11-18-2009, 01:07 PM
My thing is/was, I smoke when I play video games. I tried playing DA:O this past weekend and all I could think about was smoking. Kind of fucking sucks, tbh.
That really does suck. I've never really puffed on tobacco while gaming, or thought of doing so, but it sounds like an enjoyable habit. You're losing something that's been a part of you and that's a bitch, but seriously the best of luck.

ElNono
11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Since I quite smoking (8 days), I havent touched a video game. Some smokers say "i smoke when I drive" or "i smoke when i drink" or "i need a smoke after I eat".

I've been clean for 8 weeks. Moving on to 'Step 3' of the nicotine patches.
BTW, those really helped me with the cravings. YMMV, but I recommend them.
Just get them at Target/Walmart where they're cheaper.

phyzik
11-19-2009, 03:45 PM
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/dragon-age/1047671p1.html

BioWare has announced that later this holiday it will release the first piece of DLC for its fantasy RPG Dragon Age. While not news itself, the context of the expansion, titled Return to Ostagar, is an interesting take on DLC. Most DLC takes players to events outside of a game's main storyline. Return to Ostagar, however, takes you back to the beginning of the Dragon Age story, during the epic battle between good and evil that caused the downfall of the Gray Wardens and Ostagar's King Cailan. As a reward for fighting in the battle, players can loot the fallen King for his golden armor set. The DLC is planned for all platforms for $5 (400 Microsoft Points, or 400 BioWare points).

http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

MiamiHeat
11-22-2009, 09:06 PM
fuck it

I bought this game 10 minutes ago.. installing it to 360 HD and then ima play it

target dropped the price to $45 today.... only 10 more than the black friday 35 deal at best buy, but without the crowds

DarkReign
11-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Started playing again (finally). Its still a pain sitting down without smoking (never realized how much habits like that define you when youve been doing them for almost 20 years), but this game is so fucking worth it.

Just completed Orzammar. Thats the elves, magii and dwarves done. Im in Haven now, moving into the gauntlet, which I heard is bat-shit insane HUGE...am looking forward to it.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Anyone else find the DLC's aren't really worth buying? I mean Warden's Keep was a fucking laugh. It took me all of about 30 minutes to finish it. I'll give you Shale provides quite good comedic relief, but other than that I was very dissappointed with the whole thing. Each DLC is really fucking short.

phyzik
11-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Anyone else find the DLC's aren't really worth buying? I mean Warden's Keep was a fucking laugh. It took me all of about 30 minutes to finish it. I'll give you Shale provides quite good comedic relief, but other than that I was very dissappointed with the whole thing. Each DLC is really fucking short.

yeah, I dont particularly care for DLC stuff for most games, I'd rather wait a few months and get a full blown expansion pack than a DLC that lasts maybe 20 minutes to an hour but sadly I will still probably pay for it just to get that little extra fix. :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
11-23-2009, 06:01 PM
yeah, I dont particularly care for DLC stuff for most games, I'd rather wait a few months and get a full blown expansion pack than a DLC that lasts maybe 20 minutes to an hour but sadly I will still probably pay for it just to get that little extra fix. :lol

I agree, expansion packs are better IMO.

symple19
11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm at the final battle myself. Only side mission I didn't complete was the "correspondence interruptus". I have 11 of the 12 letters and didn't feel like going back to look for the 12th.

@dark reign, have fun with the bridge in the gauntlet!

IronMexican
11-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Go ahead and flame me. But this game is too closed up for my taste. I enjoyed Oblivion a lot more.

z0sa
11-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Go ahead and flame me. But this game is too closed up for my taste. I enjoyed Oblivion a lot more.

Yeah, I was a little bit surprised. It's a great story, with great gameplay, but its not nearly as expansive as Oblivion. I, for one, can't stand having to travel around on a paper document as opposed to freely. Back in BG2 days, I could stand it, but now I want something more tangible.

kbrury
11-23-2009, 11:33 PM
ehh thats what Bioware games are, can't really compare it to Bethesda. I like both sometimes I just want a story driven game and then sometimes I want a sandbox.

symple19
11-23-2009, 11:36 PM
ehh thats what Bioware games are, can't really compare it to Bethesda. I like both sometimes I just want a story driven game and then sometimes I want a sandbox.

:toast

z0sa
11-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Would you say all games will be sandbox types eventually? Instead of diversifying, they will uniformly be story driven as far as you want it to be, yet exist at some level as an alternate universe? Til a variable end, perhaps?

IronMexican
11-23-2009, 11:39 PM
It's a fun game. It's just no Oblivion(And Oblivion is 3 years old). I am super pumped for the next Bethesda RPG. That one is definitely a buy.

kbrury
11-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Would you say all games will be sandbox types eventually? Instead of diversifying, they will uniformly be story driven as far as you want it to be, yet exist at some level as an alternate universe? Til a variable end, perhaps?

I would agree that linear games are dying out and sandbox will dominate the market. Hopefully these new games will have a strong story element. Of course Bioware will always have its games because you can trust them to make a good game.

My ultimate dream is Bioware and Bethesda to come together to make the best RPG of all time idc about the setting.

symple19
11-23-2009, 11:47 PM
There's a niche for a KOTOR/Mass Effect/DAO type RPG, just as there is for FO3/TES. I happen to like both, so long as they're well done.

kbrury
11-23-2009, 11:49 PM
The Oblivion system combined with Dragon Age's story, would be my favorite game of all time.

symple19
11-23-2009, 11:58 PM
The Oblivion system combined with Dragon Age's story, would be my favorite game of all time.

For sure!

At least Bioware makes it's RPGs so that you have some choices on how to progress the story. It's not completely linear.

Bethesda is simply the best dev out there, IMO. Can't wait for the next TES

z0sa
11-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I would agree that linear games are dying out and sandbox will dominate the market. Hopefully these new games will have a strong story element. Of course Bioware will always have its games because you can trust them to make a good game.

I think, eventually, all these types of games will be on-line .. sort of actually living in an alternate universe. Everyone works a certain part of the storyline til the variable end. That's a little further than we're probably discussing, but that's the culmination of the RPG as we know it, I think.

My ultimate dream is Bioware and Bethesda to come together to make the best RPG of all time idc about the setting.

That'd be crazy..

kbrury
11-24-2009, 12:10 AM
I think, eventually, all these types of games will be on-line .. sort of actually living in an alternate universe. Everyone works a certain part of the storyline til the variable end. That's a little further than we're probably discussing, but that's the culmination of the RPG as we know it, I think.

That'd be crazy..

Woah thats a really interesting take. Playing Demon's Souls its not exactly what you are talking about but expanding on that online feature could eventually evolve into what your talking about.

But that would have to be one gigantic game, but an online game kind of an MMO but not, combined with actual RPG(not WoW) elements where story could be directly affected though gameplay would be great.

z0sa
11-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Woah thats a really interesting take. Playing Demon's Souls its not exactly what you are talking about but expanding on that online feature could eventually evolve into what your talking about.

But that would have to be one gigantic game, but an online game kind of an MMO but not, combined with actual RPG(not WoW) elements where story could be directly affected though gameplay would be great.

I think it'd require the evolution of a few different areas.

Perhaps better matchmaking and other tweaks, first of all. I'm assuming everyone who has the game is on-line. They travel through different areas, where a different storyline with another character is progressing - but have a set amount of characters, so they advance with different people as need be? It'd require another advance in technology, but those always happen.

Also, like alluded to, it'd have to expansive, multiple games' worth of ideas and quests rolled into one. However, I believe they'll market this in multiple different games, all compatible and existing in different parts of the same universe.. play in groups of 4 or larger? in the same universe, doing different shit apart or together, at any time with any different set of people.. lots of NPCs still maybe? Maybe lots of humans, though, too..

kbrury
11-24-2009, 12:57 AM
I think we are getting into a different age of gaming maybe in 20 years.

Another gaming idea Ive always wanted was online/coop rpg that could succesfully combine both a Futuristic world and a Medieval/Magical world. Branching off your ideas what if a studio created a universe obviously there wouldn't be a whole universe to explore but have both settings of Space age technology and one of Medieval marvels. They would create the universe through different games like a Mass Effect and then a Oblivion and then the two could interact.

You make a character in one of these settings then you branch off from there the game is huge so it would have all the sandbox elements and then you evolve your own story. You play your own story but you could also play in other player's story arcs whether they are Space tyrants or protectors of a small kingdom.

But one could only dream.

IronMexican
11-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I decided to kill that kid instead of trying to release the demon inside of him. I felt like shit after that and turned the game off.

kbrury
11-24-2009, 09:36 PM
I decided to kill that kid instead of trying to release the demon inside of him. I felt like shit after that and turned the game off.

I did that also Bioware will do that to you. I felt it must have been done, because I didn't save the first enchanter at the mage's tower I couldn't save both the moth and son. But if you do save the enchanter you can choose to save them both.

Shaolin-Style
11-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Just wish they'd integrate some kind of multiplayer in this game, it's great and I wouldn't change much about it, but that'd definitely be a bonus. KOTOR online is the only other game I know which is going to have the multiplayer storytelling dialogue/choice interaction.

kbrury
11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Just wish they'd integrate some kind of multiplayer in this game, it's great and I wouldn't change much about it, but that'd definitely be a bonus. KOTOR online is the only other game I know which is going to have the multiplayer storytelling dialogue/choice interaction.

Well then it would just be an MMO which some people just don't like, hopefully the Old Republic will be a great game since Bioware is making it or at least a part of it.

symple19
11-25-2009, 02:28 AM

I was able to save both. Enjoy the choices later on, they get even harder :toast

phyzik
11-25-2009, 11:43 AM
I think we are getting into a different age of gaming maybe in 20 years.

Another gaming idea Ive always wanted was online/coop rpg that could succesfully combine both a Futuristic world and a Medieval/Magical world. Branching off your ideas what if a studio created a universe obviously there wouldn't be a whole universe to explore but have both settings of Space age technology and one of Medieval marvels. They would create the universe through different games like a Mass Effect and then a Oblivion and then the two could interact.

You make a character in one of these settings then you branch off from there the game is huge so it would have all the sandbox elements and then you evolve your own story. You play your own story but you could also play in other player's story arcs whether they are Space tyrants or protectors of a small kingdom.

But one could only dream.

Your basically describing Warhammer 40k. The Futuristic Warhammer, not the fantasy warhammer. It would be cool to be a Space Marine and getting the Canis Helix at like lvl 20 which basically makes you almost a half-werewolf or some shit and then getting the badass power armor. Big ass hand canon in one hand and an axe in the other, fighting off Chaos spawned demons....

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/33400/1040488-warhammer_40000_space_marine_20090527040214625_000 _super.jpg

kbrury
11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Your basically describing Warhammer 40k. The Futuristic Warhammer, not the fantasy warhammer. It would be cool to be a Space Marine and getting the Canis Helix at like lvl 20 which basically makes you almost a half-werewolf or some shit and then getting the badass power armor. Big ass hand canon in one hand and an axe in the other, fighting off Chaos spawned demons....

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/33400/1040488-warhammer_40000_space_marine_20090527040214625_000 _super.jpg

I am a Warhammer fan but it slipped my mind, Bethesda acquire the rights and get it done!

Höfner
11-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Aren't all vdeogames RPGs?

Sense
11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
this game is 37.49 on steam right now....

duhoh
11-28-2009, 05:23 AM
i'm so glad i found the DLCs through "alternative" means

Shaolin-Style
11-28-2009, 07:38 AM

I let the mother sacrifice herself and then made a deal with the desire demon to let her have the boy some years later in exchange to learn her blood magic secrets :cooldevil

DarkReign
11-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I should have done Redcliffe right off the bat instead of waiting. Fuck...

***SPOLIER****SPOLIER****SPOLIER***

I went to the Circle who sent a group of mages to assist in removing the demon. Since my main character is a warrior, I cant get the blood mage specialization since he cant enter the Demon's Realm. So I sent Morrigan and killed the demon. Father, mother and son live happily ever after. The end.

IronMexican
11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I defeated that dragon when going to get the urn. I waited till I came back from getting the urn till I did it. It was pretty fucking tough. I must have reloaded 30 times. My game plan was just using the Tempest spell and freezing it a shit load of times.

ElNono
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I just started playing this last thursday. Just finished wiping out the Mage Tower.
Really reminds me of Baldur's Gate. Very well done.

symple19
12-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Working on playthrough #2, this time with an elven mage. Much easier so far.

hater
12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
yup I starting playing this joint too, as a mage chick.

begining was boring and I dont like that I still haven't seen a shot of the outside landscape.

so far it seems more like Dungeon Master than Baldurs gate.

duhoh
12-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Working on playthrough #2, this time with an elven mage. Much easier so far.

mages = hax :lol

seriously, get three mages and one tank, the game is ridiculously easy, even on nightmare. i'm not even a big RPG person either

symple19
12-02-2009, 07:42 AM

seriously, get three mages and one tank, the game is ridiculously easy, even on nightmare. i'm not even a big RPG person either

I know, I almost feel dirty while I play it! :lol

hater
12-02-2009, 10:50 AM

this is true as well. I've never played a game where I can deliver 20+ spells a battle at only level 5.

don't get me wrong the game is well made and "fun" but it's no return to basics as Bioware states. It should not even be in same sentence as their previous titles. 8/10 for me even without finishing it.

kbrury
12-14-2009, 02:49 AM
Writers have begun working on Dragon Age 2

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I chose the ending to have sex with Morrigan to conceive a child so that I could be saved. I know it was an optional ending but it would be cool to be the child who absorbed the essence of the Archdemon for Dragon Age 2.

Chomag
12-14-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm loving this game as well. However it does have some majore bugs that have caused me to stop playing it for now while I am waiting for a patch. I hope we get one soon! lol

MiamiHeat
12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
this game was RIDICULOUSLY easy

My first and only playthrough was done on the 2nd hardest difficulty, and I barely died the whole game. way too easy

I beat the high dragon guarding the urn on the first try.....

the final boss dragon i beat in my 2nd try too....

the only fight that gave me trouble in this game :

the Bloodmage Headquarters boss battle in the Denerim back alleyways.

that one took me like 10 tries....

my group makeup was :

Human Noble Warrior (me) fit to tank
Morrigan as my DPS mage, cold/electricity full trees
Wynne as my healer
Lelianna as my ranged archer DPS

I run in and tank everything, and they stay far away shooting :)

the game was so easy, I could tank ANYTHING. the dragon boss's took like 9 hits to kill me.

i could stand there getting beat on by 5 enemies, and stay alive by myself and kill them all without any healing.

i shoulda put it on nightmare difficulty for my first playthrough

MiamiHeat
12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
this game was RIDICULOUSLY easy

My first and only playthrough was done on the 2nd hardest difficulty

the only fight that gave me trouble in this game :

the Bloodmage Headquarters boss battle in the Denerim back alleyways.

that one took me like 10 tries....

my group makeup was :

Human Noble Warrior (me) fit to tank
Morrigan as my DPS mage, cold/electricity full trees
Wynne as my healer
Lelianna as my ranged archer DPS

i could stand there getting beat on by 5 enemies, and stay alive by myself and kill them all without any healing.

i shoulda put it on nightmare difficulty for my first playthrough

MannyIsGod
12-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Got this a few days ago for 20 bucks at Gamestop. Really enjoying it a couple of hours in. After finals I might have a decent amount of time to sink into it!