PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats’ Brown fined $60,000 for tiff with ref

duncan228
10-14-2009, 05:57 PM
:wow

Bobcats’ Brown fined $60,000 for tiff with ref (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bobcats-brownfined&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Mike Cranston

Larry Brown became the first major target in the NBA’s zero-tolerance policy toward criticizing its replacement referees.

The Bobcats coach was hit with $60,000 in fines on Wednesday and the Charlotte organization was fined another $60,000 after Brown’s ejection from an exhibition game.

Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins was also fined $25,000 for criticism after a game Monday, as the league attempts to protect its inexperienced officials while it locks out its regular referees in a labor dispute.

Official Kevin Scott, who has worked in college and pro-am leagues, whistled Brown for two technical fouls at different times in Monday’s game in Atlanta. After the second technical, with 3:23 left in the third quarter, Brown lingered on the court instead of heading to the locker room. Scott called for security, but Brown then left on his own.

The NBA fined Brown $35,000 for verbally abusing game officials and failing to leave the court in a timely manner. He was fined another $25,000 for publicly criticizing the referees.

A Bobcats spokesman said the team had no immediate comment.

Brown did not speak to reporters after the game Monday, and he declined to talk specifically about his ejection on Tuesday. Brown did make general complaints about the increase in the number of fouls in preseason games, which average about 7 more per game than last year’s preseason.

“There wasn’t an up and back and up in the whole game that I can remember,” Brown said of Monday’s game. “That was hard.”

There were 61 fouls and five technical fouls called. The Bobcats played a game against New Orleans last week that included 77 fouls and 95 free throws.

Hollins was upset after Monday’s game against Orlando, saying the Grizzlies didn’t get a fair share of the calls against Magic big man Dwight Howard.

The NBA is using officials from the NBA Development League, WNBA and college ranks after the league’s regular referees rejected a contract proposal two weeks ago.

Culburn369
10-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Brown, per usual, acting the ass.

PGDynasty24
10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
60k is a lot for a ejection in a preseason game,even for Larry Brown.

NoOptionB
10-14-2009, 06:17 PM
He'll just add it to the Bobcat's tab during his retirement announcement next Thursday.

exstatic
10-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Getting run from a preseason game is absurd, even for LB, the league's drama Queen.

in2deep
10-15-2009, 09:21 AM
yup LB is a drama queen

duncan228
10-16-2009, 05:43 PM
NBA fines Magic, Van Gundy for criticizing refs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-magic-vangundyfined&prov=ap&type=lgns)

The Orlando Magic and coach Stan Van Gundy have been fined $35,000 each for his criticism of referees earlier in the week.

The fines were announced Friday, a day after Van Gundy’s comments about the replacement officials were published.

Van Gundy became the third coach in three days to be fined. The Charlotte Bobcats and coach Larry Brown were each fined $60,000 on Wednesday for Brown’s verbal abuse of officials and refusal to leave the court in timely manner after he was ejected during a preseason game, and his subsequent postgame criticism.

Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins was also penalized $25,000 on Wednesday for his critical comments.

BlackBellamy
10-16-2009, 05:53 PM
There were 61 fouls and five technical fouls called. The Bobcats played a game against New Orleans last week that included 77 fouls and 95 free throws.

I might be with LB on this one (even though I wasn't privy to the game itself). Having to watch this sort of game twice would be infuriating (and boring as hell) for a fan, let alone the coach of the team. It's fuckin' preseason, these refs need to swallow their whistles just a bit. I am all for having to play by the rules and fair officiating, but 77 fouls one game and 61 the next? That's just obscene.

duncan228
10-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Van Gundy Steamed Over NBA Fine (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/10/17/van-gundy-steamed-over-nba-fine/)
Tim Povtak

ORLANDO -- Magic coach Stan Van Gundy butted heads with the NBA office Saturday, accepting the $35,000 fine that was levied against him earlier, but questioning its rationale and the interpretation of its own rules that prohibit criticism of officials.

Commissioner David Stern is not going to be happy.

The NBA originally fined both Van Gundy and the team for general remarks about replacement officials he made Thursday after practice. In those remarks, he praised the regular officials who have been locked out, and praised some of the replacements, but said others weren't ready for the task facing them with the regular season opening later this month.

"What I said was accurate, reasoned and positive,'' he said Saturday after practice. "I don't regret anything I said.''

Van Gundy also didn't like the wording of the league's announcement, which stated that he was fined "for publicly criticizing officials." He said he was speaking in general terms, and not being critical of any individual officials.

"It said I was fined 'for publicly criticizing officials,' and that's not what I did at all," he said. "I didn't do that. We haven't done it."

These were his original remarks:

"Here's the thing about replacement refs: there's no problem with them. These are guys the NBA in large part has identified. They're good, young officials on the way up, and one day they'll be ready. It would be like us having to play now with an entire D-League roster. A lot of those guys will be ready to play in three or four years. If you took one of those guys (replacements) and put him on an NBA crew every night, they'd probably be OK. But they are all out there together. It would be like me taking a D-League team and saying 'All right, let's go play the Hornets.' It's not going to work too good."

Van Gundy, who took the Magic to the NBA Finals last season, sounded more than ready to move on, but he may not have heard the last of this situation.

"You work under the auspices of David Stern. He decides what you can talk about and what you can't talk about. I talked about a subject I'm not supposed to talk about," he said.

Riverwalkman
10-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Those freakin refs are fighting for a ROY trophy.