PDA

View Full Version : Dallas is playing great!

Rick Von Braun
04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
I am hesitant to say this, since this may attract the rodent, but...

I have been following them for the last month or so, and Avery brought back the D to Dallas. They have a lot of talent, and they can shoot lights out.

They have playoff experience, and the Mavericks is a team with hunger. They are dangerous... even more so than Phoenix. It will be a difficult match up against them if we face them in the 2nd round or the WCF.

The Spurs still have to play the games and pass 1st round first, but I wonder what's your take on them.

Question?

P.S.: BTW, I don't care about the last loss against them... that is irrelevant... but they are still playing great basketball.

Dre_7
04-14-2005, 10:34 PM
If Timmy is the Duncan of old, Spurs can beat them. But not easily. If they meet in the playoffs, I say SA wins 4-2.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey, they're not a threat at all. [/head in the sand society]

exstatic
04-14-2005, 10:39 PM
I haven't watched enough to see if they bring the D every night. If they do, they're dangerous. If not, they will be had by SA or Phoenix.

Solid D
04-14-2005, 10:40 PM
They are playing great and their defense is excellent, especially since Dampier came back to anchor the middle (from injury). That has also allowed some of their more athletic players like Howard and Daniels to take some chances on the perimeter.

There has been a dramatic change the past 3 weeks, or however long it has been since Dampier returned.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-14-2005, 10:41 PM
Scary thing: they are actually playing D now.

Scarier: Pop is very predictable for AJ.

Nikos
04-14-2005, 10:44 PM
They played the same D in 2002-03. Similiar teams in terms of offensive and defensive balance.

Rick Von Braun
04-14-2005, 10:50 PM
They played the same D in 2002-03. Similiar teams in terms of offensive and defensive balance.
Nikos, I am talking specifically about the last 3 weeks or so... they are playing really well.

IceColdBrewski
04-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Can't deny that they're playing well right now. A Spurs/Mavs matchup would go 7 games.

Solid D
04-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Can't deny that they're playing well right now. A Spurs/Mavs matchup would go 7 games.

We can only hope! :lol

Nikos
04-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Nikos, I am talking specifically about the last 3 weeks or so... they are playing really well.

Not denying their late surge. Just saying Dallas has been very good on defense in the past. It is not the first season they have been solid on defense.

ducks
04-14-2005, 11:04 PM
one thing I like is aj has no playoff experience has a head coach and very little head coaching experience
there things will hurt him

boutons
04-14-2005, 11:07 PM
I think the big difference between Mavs and Spurs is that the Mavs are playing with confidence, even swagger, as if they should win every game, will always find a way to win.

The Spurs had that in 03 starting with the rodeo road trip, and again last April with a superb March/April, and 11 straight W's to close the season, but this year, the Spurs just haven't gotten over the confidence hump. Tim's injury is part of the reason, but that's not the only barrier.

Some fans "believe", but the only group whose belief really counts is the Spurs themselves. I don't see that belief in themselves, yet.

I figure Pop won't be in belief-building mode these last 3 games, so it will take a convincing first playoff round for the Spurs to build that confidence. Winnng 4-0 or 4-1 with a couple of tough W's, coming from behind, or holding off a furious run, excellent execution in crunch times, several different players stepping up in different ways, and providing the margin of victory.

Solid D
04-14-2005, 11:11 PM
A couple of other observations is that even before Dampier came back, AJ started using Shawn Bradley more to anchor the middle and Keith Van Horn off the bench has been a very nice boost for them. Keith can score and his length has been a plus.

Props to AJ for creating the defensive emphasis and clogging the middle more than they have in the past.

MeAndBobThrowChairs
04-14-2005, 11:29 PM
i've been watching them but i think the suns will knock them out in the confrence semis. they're still the mavericks.

Eric
04-14-2005, 11:30 PM
Death is coming for Dallas.

nacho estrada
04-14-2005, 11:41 PM
I just hope Phx before we have to. Whichever team that has to make it through Dallas will have a war ahead of them. Avery will not back down and will have the Mavs fighting and scratching to win. It will be up to either Phx or SA to claw out four victories. I just hope it's Phx. Either series will go 7 games, SA or Phx vs Dallas.

Zombie Terri Schiavo
04-15-2005, 12:07 AM
Death is coming for Dallas.

Slow and painful like mine.

BronxCowboy
04-15-2005, 06:53 AM
^^^
That's fucking wrong, dude.

SenorSpur
04-15-2005, 08:51 AM
I watch them too. The way they are now focusing on defense and their usual offensive prowess makes them legitimate contenders. They're gaining confidence with each victory. I'm anxious to see how they fare against Phoenix (since they will likely be in their bracket).

I would hope the Spurs & Mavs meet in the WCF. By that time, the Spurs should have regained the "swagger" and "confidence" the Mavs are playing with. Spurs are still the superior defensive team and if we avoid injuries, should be the odd-on favorites to win it all.

Frenchise player
04-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Even though Dallas is playing like a real threat, there is a big difference between them and San Antonio.
San Antonio has an identity. Pop and Rc built this franchise around Duncan and each season they find players to play with him. All the players that come here know that the key word is Defense.

Dallas was built with Cuban's money. Cuban bought every player that was available: Van Exel, Stackhouse, Van Horn, Terry, Jamison...
They are all good players, but together they are just a bunch of good players.
Without identity, you can't get an NBA title.

FilSpursFan
04-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Dallas is my most scared of team right now. They have the confidence and with series of winning streaks, new coach, focus on defense, complete healthy roster... they're scary!

I hope we dont face them...

ducks
04-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Slow and painful like mine.
grow the heck up

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-15-2005, 09:54 PM
one thing I like is aj has no playoff experience has a head coach and very little head coaching experience

It's a lot easier to overcome playoff inexperience when you know every play that the coach you'll be going up against runs, and said coach isn't capable of adjusting in a playoff series.

Guru of Nothing
04-15-2005, 10:02 PM
It's a lot easier to overcome playoff inexperience when you know every play that the coach you'll be going up against runs, and said coach isn't capable of adjusting in a playoff series.

Got a good example? ... Just one.

bgantz
04-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Even though Dallas is playing like a real threat, there is a big difference between them and San Antonio.
San Antonio has an identity. Pop and Rc built this franchise around Duncan and each season they find players to play with him. All the players that come here know that the key word is Defense.

Dallas was built with Cuban's money. Cuban bought every player that was available: Van Exel, Stackhouse, Van Horn, Terry, Jamison...

although i think the spurs should be favored against the mavs in the wcf, this statement isn't entirely true. the mavs have an identity for sure. they have built around dirk since nash left, leaving finley as a cornerstone as well. they have drafted howard and devin harris, and got daniels as an undrafted free agent. stackhouse, terry, etc. were brought in as trades because the mavs have been constantly trying to get to the spurs level of success. this should be a complement to you guys. would you rather have cuban spending tirelessly to get a championship team? or a team like the kings that chose every year to stay together....and now their window is about closed. same with portland.

MavsChick82
04-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Why are Spurs fans so arrogant?

bgantz
04-16-2005, 12:12 AM

because they've actually won something, i actually somewhat like the spurs so it doesn't bother me. but they have room to brag for now. i think the mavs have a good chance this year though.

Victor Newman
04-16-2005, 12:22 AM

That's why they can never work for me at Newman Enterprises.

duncan2k5
04-16-2005, 12:47 AM
We aren't arrogant...we are just always right! the Mav horse will have run its final race if it plays the spurs in the playoffs. bank on it

bgantz
04-16-2005, 01:02 AM
We aren't arrogant...we are just always right! the Mav horse will have run its final race if it plays the spurs in the playoffs. bank on it

the spurs would be the favorite, but tap on the breaks a little bit, this is the best shot the mavs have had in a while. i think the mavs can get by phx in the 2nd round at least.

Dex
04-16-2005, 01:53 AM
I give the Mavericks the credit they are due. They obviously have enough people to fill up the stat sheets, and lately have been using those pieces more efficiently. They managed to bandage up the loss of Steve Nash with the addition of a couple bigmen, namely Dampier and Van Horn. Dallas has needed a true center for years, but I still consider giving up Nash for KVH to be a completely boneheaded move, as I still set the Suns ahead of the Mavericks on the danger scale. However, Dallas is playing good basketball going into this postseason, in which they have a pretty favorable seating. Avery actually has them playing on both sides of the court now, and Dirk Nowitzki has been putting up Wonderbread numbers.

Still...the Mavericks haven't truly established the defensive presence of say the Spurs, Pistons, Rockets, or Heat. While they have been exerting themselves on defense, they still rely on out-gunning opponents to win ball games. This can be hard to do against defensive teams in a 7-game series. A healthy San Antonio team can keep the score up with the Mavericks, but also possesses the ability to shut the opposing team down. This postseason will ultimately establish how well the run-and-gun game works in crunch time, with the Suns, Sonics, and yes, Mavericks all being the guinea pigs.

The Mavericks will be a dangerous opponent this year, which obviously means they have a shot at going all the way. However, I think Dallas still might fall short again in the second or third round. The Mavericks best chance to make the Finals passed with 2003, when they forgot to close out on Steve Kerr.

As regards to general consensus, people just give the nod to the Spurs because they have been there before. With the Lakers now out of commission, the road of the West still goes through San Antonio until someone proves differently.

Rick Von Braun
04-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Why are Mavs' fans so insecure?

This is a thread that is giving the Mavs kudos for the most part, and you come here asking that question.

Figures... http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

stéphane
04-16-2005, 10:21 AM

well i thought something really close to that... but if you take the exemple of soccer, you could say the same about Abramovich's Chelsea... Team made with millions without really paying attention to what the chemistry will be when tough times will come... but if you take chelsea... they're about to win the premiership and are european cup semi finalist... just to say sometimes players just are able to go past their *bad?* temper and stick together if they see it's working...

Solid D
04-16-2005, 10:48 AM
We aren't arrogant...we are just always right!

:rollin Classic, but unfortunately duncan2k5, I don't think you helped the non-arrogance argument with that one. :lol

Dallas is a formidable foe, for whoever they meet in the playoffs, now. The point of this thread is they are playing great, but also differently from past seasons.

Jimcs50
04-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Spurs fans have become like Laker snobs? When did this happen?

I remember when we were the kid brother that always got punked in the playoffs....one day, Dallas will shed that rep too.

G-Nob
04-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Mavs are beating teams that are short-handed. They are still learning each other and when the playoff baskets mean more, they'll need to get inside more. They'll struggle against Hou, Den & SA,. Since they'll only have to play against one of us, there's where they'll fall short.

Maybe next year, Avery.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-16-2005, 11:08 AM
It's kinda ironic seeing anyone associated with Dallas talk about arrogance. This town (Dallas) is full of arrogant and egotistical maniacs. Hell, it thinks it's too good for the rest of Texas.