PDA

View Full Version : Wages of Wins: Is This the Beginning of the Tragedy of Chris Paul?

duncan228
10-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Is This the Beginning of the Tragedy of Chris Paul? (http://dberri.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/is-this-beginning-of-the-tragedy-of-chris-paul/)

One of the very first columns posted in this forum was “The Tragedy of Kevin Garnett (http://dberri.wordpress.com/2006/05/28/the-tragedy-of-kevin-garnett/).” For years KG was the most productive player in the NBA. And for years, the Minnesota Timberwolves surrounded KG with relatively poor players. Consequently, Garnett could never experience the playoff success enjoyed by players like Kobe Bryant; a fact that led some to conclude Kobe is actually more productive than Garnett (yes, I know, kind of silly).

Now a similar story is taking place in New Orleans. For each of the past two seasons Chris Paul has led the NBA in Wins Produced. In 2007-08, Paul produced 25.4 wins while his teammates produced 29.7. Such a combination was sufficient to win 55 games, although had Paul been merely average (average WP48 is 0.100), then the Hornets would have only won 36 games (and missed the playoffs).

Last season – as Table One reveals – Paul was even better. His 28.2 Wins Produced led the league. And as I noted a few weeks ago (http://dberri.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/two-perspectives-on-the-top-10-across-the-past-decade/), when you consider standard deviations above average, Paul’s 2008-09 performance was the best the NBA has seen since the days of Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson.

Table One: New Orleans Hornets in 2008-09 (http://www.wagesofwins.com/NewOrleans0809.html)

Unfortunately, Paul’s teammates were very bad. Everyone not named CP3 only produced 16.7 wins for the Hornets in 2008-09. So if one replaced Paul with an average player, the Hornets ranked among the very worst teams in the league.

This past summer changes were made to the Hornets roster. The big move was trading Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor. Here is what I said when this trade was announced:

…Chandler has been traded to the Bobcats for Emeka Okafor.

John Hollinger made the following comment on this trade (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=okaforchandler-090728&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dholling er_john%26page%3dokaforchandler-090728) (Insider access required): …Okafor is the better player. Both players consistently have been honorable mentions in my all-defense picks, but Okafor is the superior scorer. That might not be saying much — both players are somewhat limited offensively — but Okafor can score on post-ups occasionally and make short bank shots, while Chandler’s range ends at the charge circle. Over the past three seasons, Okafor has averaged nearly five more points per 40 minutes — that’s big.

If we look at the past three seasons, Chandler has a 0.230 WP48 [Wins Produced per 48 minutes] while Okafor has a 0.222 WP48. If we focus on just the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons, though, Chandler trumps Okafor 0.271 to 0.235. Again, Chandler – primarily because of injury – had a poor season last year. If Chandler is now healthy it’s more than possible that the Bobcats come out ahead on this deal. At least, that appears to be true if we look past scoring.

Let me also note that if we focus solely on 2008-09, Okafor did offer more. In other words, it’s likely that Okafor in 2009-10 will do more than Chandler did last season. The Hornets, though, didn’t stop with this move. They also added Darius Songaila [-0.8 Wins Produced, -0.024 WP48] and Bobby Brown [-2.6 Wins Produced, -0.136 WP48]. Both Songaila and B. Brown were among the least productive players in 2008-09. So these moves are probably not going to help. The addition of these players gives the Hornets the following depth chart (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nor/depthchart):

Potential First String

PG: Chris Paul [28.2 Wins Produced, 0.451 WP48]

SG: James Posey [5.0 Wins Produced, 0.111 WP48]

SF: Julian Wright [0.9 Wins Produced, 0.054 WP48]

PF: David West [6.5 Wins Produced, 0.105 WP48]

C: Emeka Okafor [11.0 Wins Produced, 0.196 WP48]

Potential Second String

PG: Darren Collison [rookie] or Bobby Brown [-2.6 Wins Produced, -0.136 WP48]

SG: Devin Brown [-0.3 Wins Produced, -0.015 WP48]

SF: Peja Stojakovic [1.9 Wins Produced, 0.044 WP48]

PF: Darius Songaila [-0.8 Wins Produced, -0.024 WP48]

C: Hilton Armstrong [-2.6 Wins Produced, -0.115 WP48]

Chris Paul note the following about this team:“This might be the deepest team we’ve had since I’ve been here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nor/report).”

When we consider Wins Produced, though, we see a different story. The Hornets currently have one amazing player in Paul, one very good player in Okafor, two players who are close to average (Posey and West), and then a collection of players that are well below average. In sum, I think this team is better than what we saw last season. But I don’t think this team is as good as it was in 2007-08. Yes, it is possible Julian Wright can play better (or just play the entire season). And Posey, Stojakovic, and D. Brown have played better before 2008-09. Still, when we compare the Hornets to the other top teams in the West (i.e. Lakers, Blazers, Spurs, Mavericks, Jazz, and Nuggets), I think New Orleans – despite having the very best player in the league – come up short.

One wonders how long this will continue. Paul is only 24 years old and signed through the 2011-12 season (http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans.htm). So New Orleans does have some time to truly build “a deep team” around Paul. It’s possible, though, that we are seeing a replay of the KG story. After 12 seasons of struggling in Minnesota, Garnett was finally traded to Boston where he won his first title. For KG, this happened when he was 31 years old. Will Paul have to wait this long?

- DJ

redzero
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
I was really hoping nobody posted this fucking article. Thanks.

Chieflion
10-14-2009, 06:29 PM
You can't compare Garnett and Paul like that. The author is correct about the sucky situation of both Paul and Garnett though.

PGDynasty24
10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
KG had a good team in I believe in 04. With a good sprewell,cassell and a troy hudson playing out of his mind but they couldnt get by Lakeshow and that team fell apart. But CP3 needs another star to take it to next level. David West is great dont get me wrong but he's not a number 2 option

Ghazi
10-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I've said this for a while now. Paul's situation in NOLA will pan out just like KG's in Minny... Paul deserves what he gets though for being a little baby back bitch and besides, he's a millionaire anyway who has no heart for the game so I don't think he'll care that much.

dirk4mvp
10-14-2009, 06:47 PM
When the Hornets move to a more desirable city like Des Moines, it will attract good players to help Paul.

Chieflion
10-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Another entrance before 121-63.

redzero
10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
I've said this for a while now. Paul's situation in NOLA will pan out just like KG's in Minny... Paul deserves what he gets though for being a little baby back bitch and besides, he's a millionaire anyway who has no heart for the game so I don't think he'll care that much.

Yeah, too bad he isn't some soft pussy with a billionaire GM, who quits in the middle of a 2-0 lead during the Finals then follows it up by losing to the eighth seed.

PGDynasty24
10-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, too bad he isn't some soft pussy with a billionaire GM, who quits in the middle of a 2-0 lead during the Finals then follows it up by losing to the eighth seed.

redzero pisses me off on this board almost frequently. But,to say CP3 plays with no heart is ridiculous. He's a fantastic player(despite his erratic flopping) but the market there in will be tough to win. Because New Orleans isnt exactly a attractive place to play

redzero
10-14-2009, 06:59 PM
redzero pisses me off on this board almost frequently. But,to say CP3 plays with no heart is ridiculous. He's a fantastic player(despite his erratic flopping) but the market there in will be tough to win. Because New Orleans isnt exactly a attractive place to play

Ghazi is just butthurt. He hates everybody on the Hornets because of the 08 playoffs. The mental gymnastics he goes through to diss Hornets players are amusing to watch.

Culburn369
10-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Paul crested too quick & too early, and then when he was beaten & rejected he could not and has not responded. He may not have a third & fourth gear.

Kinda what ALMOST happened to Wade. Dallas had him that || close to the anguish & torment that Paul is now experiencing. You can still sense the frustration and doubt with Wade (he knows he whistled past the graveyard) and he has some difficulties living with that reality...the whispers, the snickers.

Paul wants, but, does not have an inkling of what it takes.

Ghazi
10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Paul, heart? :lol 121-63.

redzero
10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

All of Ghayzi's posts in a nutshell.

ezau
10-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I was really hoping nobody posted this fucking article. Thanks.

LMAO at the Hornets. :lmao

Mike D
10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
No love for him due to his flopping ways.

Red Hawk #21
10-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Yup, Fuck that pussy Chris Paul. He deserves every loss he gets.

#2!
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
but they have all-star David West, they'll be fine...

Morg1411
10-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Quality article. :tu

Trimble87
10-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I dont understand how fellow Spurs fans can call out Paul on his flopping... Manu and Tony flop all the fricking time.

That being said I remember in the 08 playoffs during that 7 game series Paul was running a fast break with no one anywhere near him. The whistle blew behind the ball and Paul just fell on the spot... he looked around, saw no one was within 10 feet of him and got back up. Priceless

Morg1411
10-15-2009, 01:13 PM
I dont understand how fellow Spurs fans can call out Paul on his flopping... Manu and Tony flop all the fricking time.

That being said I remember in the 08 playoffs during that 7 game series Paul was running a fast break with no one anywhere near him. The whistle blew behind the ball and Paul just fell on the spot... he looked around, saw no one was within 10 feet of him and got back up. Priceless

It's okay when your guys flop.

Paul is a bitch when he flops.

Yes, it's a double standard...but it's a fucking sports forum, for Christ's sake, what do you expect, logic and fairness?

hater
10-15-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't really care about Paul's flopping. shit, it's not like he is like Divac.

I really hate his attitude on the court though, he talks shit and tries to fight and be dirty to the opponents more often than any other NBA player not named Garnett

so IMO Paul is a little bitch the way KG is

Culburn369
10-15-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't really care about Paul's flopping. shit, it's not like he is like Divac.

I really hate his attitude on the court though, he talks shit and tries to fight and be dirty to the opponents more often than any other NBA player not named Garnett

so IMO Paul is a little bitch the way KG is

Gee, first Ming, now hater with a remarkable post. I'm duly impressed.

all_heart
10-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I fuckin hate Hollinger's goofy fuckin stats. 28.2 wins produced?! WTF?! I wish I could bitch slap him 3.323 times!! Beyond that he's right in that CP3 is screwed and it doesn't take any insight to see this.

duncan228
10-15-2009, 07:20 PM
The NBA’s 30 best go-to players (#9: Chris Paul) (http://dimemag.com/2009/10/the-nbas-30-best-go-to-players-9-chris-paul/)
By Austin Burton

Who do you want your offense to run through with everything on the line? Counting down 30th to 1st (one per team), I’ve ranked the League’s go-to guys…

#9: CHRIS PAUL, Hornets

Whether it’s the Western Conference standings, fantasy drafts, NBA Drafts — really everything but the realm of media hype and endorsement deals — Chris Paul is never too far away from Deron Williams. On this list, CP3 sits one spot ahead of D-Will for a trio of reasons:

(1) Shot selection — Neither is a great three-point shooter, but Paul was better last season, hitting 36.4% beyond the arc compared to 31% for Williams. Some chalk that up to CP taking significantly fewer threes (176 to 226); I give him credit for recognizing where his game isn’t strongest and exercising discretion. Paul actually takes more field goals on average (16 per game to 14), he just takes better shots and makes them more consistently. Not to mention, CP’s three-point percentages stayed consistent in clutch time (http://www.82games.com/0809/CSORT11.HTM), where he knocked down 37%, while Deron’s dropped to 23% in the same scenario. Small margins for the most part, but these things add up.

(2) Ball security — All respect to Jamal Crawford, but CP and D-Will are the two slickest ball-handlers in the League. Paul is just slightly better protecting the rock, turning it over 3.0 times per game last season versus 3.4 for Williams. You won’t see either of them getting picked clean, but Deron is more likely to throw a bad pass in a big situation or try to force something that isn’t there. Taking a page from the Steve Nash blueprint, Paul has become extremely adept at maintaining his dribble when most would pick it up, allowing him more options and avoiding turnovers. A go-to point guard has the ball in his hands 90 percent of the time down the stretch; not wasting any possessions is crucial.

(3) Circumstantial evidence — However you choose to judge it, CP has a larger load to carry in New Orleans (http://dimemag.com/2009/10/new-orleans-hornets-09-10-nba-season-preview/). David West is an All-Star who will stick a game-winner when given the chance, but a large percentage of West’s buckets come off wide-open jumpers created by CP’s drives that draw the defense in his direction. When Tyson Chandler was with the Hornets, he had no offense if it wasn’t for CP setting him up with lobs. Peja Stojakovic is an effective scorer, but mainly a spot-up shooter who also capitalizes off CP’s playmaking ability. This year’s Hornets have Emeka Okafor in for Chandler, who can do a few more things on his own offensively, but with major questions at two-guard and unproven Julian Wright taking over at the three, Paul will again have a lot on his shoulders. Simply getting this group to the playoffs in the West is about as much an accomplishment as Deron’s Jazz advancing one round.

So that’s enough for me to give CP rank ahead of D-Will, but what exactly makes him an elite go-to guy? Simply put, he does just about everything a point guard can be expected to do when his team is in trouble (http://dimemag.com/2009/10/top-10-fantasy-point-guards-in-2009-10/)or needs to settle down and hold off a rallying opponent. On top of the handful of game-winners CP hit last year on his own or assisted, or the games he won with his defense, he’s also become known for going on one-man runs of seven, eight, 10 points in a row in the fourth quarter to get the Hornets back in a game or put a close game out of reach.

After sticking a game-winning three to beat the buzzer against Indiana on MLK Day, Hornets coach Byron Scott recalled the exchange after Danny Granger had hit the game-tying three to set it up:

“As soon as Granger hit that shot, Chris came up to me and said, ‘Coach, give me the ball,’” Scott told reporters. “Chris is a great player, and as they say, great players make great plays.”

10. Deron Williams
11. Vince Carter
12. Joe Johnson
13. Danny Granger
14. Steve Nash
15. Kevin Durant
16. Gilbert Arenas
17. Derrick Rose
18. Chris Bosh
19. Andre Iguodala
20. Tracy McGrady
21. Baron Davis
22. Michael Redd
23. Devin Harris
24. Kevin Martin
25. Al Jefferson
26. O.J. Mayo
27. Stephen Jackson
28. Nate Robinson
29. Boris Diaw
30. Rip Hamilton

NoOptionB
10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
When the Hornets move to a more desirable city like Des Moines, it will attract good players to help Paul.

lolololol

ManuTastic
10-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Wow, so from the looks of this list, Tim, Manu and Tony are all going to be in the top 8 of go-to players when the writer finishes the list? Sweet!

10. Deron Williams
11. Vince Carter
12. Joe Johnson
13. Danny Granger
14. Steve Nash
15. Kevin Durant
16. Gilbert Arenas
17. Derrick Rose
18. Chris Bosh
19. Andre Iguodala
20. Tracy McGrady
21. Baron Davis
22. Michael Redd
23. Devin Harris
24. Kevin Martin
25. Al Jefferson
26. O.J. Mayo
27. Stephen Jackson
28. Nate Robinson
29. Boris Diaw
30. Rip Hamilton[/QUOTE]

duncan228
10-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow, so from the looks of this list, Tim, Manu and Tony are all going to be in the top 8 of go-to players when the writer finishes the list? Sweet!

Nope. It's one player per team.