PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com: Ginobili's return has expectations high in San Antonio

NASpurs
10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/seasonpreview/2009/SAS/

Ginobili's return has expectations high in San Antonio

By Fran Blinebury, for NBA.com

Posted Oct 14 2009 10:30AM

Tim Duncan, of course, is the tent pole in the middle, holding up everything on his broad shoulders so that the act may go on under the Spurs' big top.

Tony Parker plays the role of the dapper ringmaster, part organizer, part leader, often in the spotlight, making sure the circus runs on time.

But truth be told, it's Manu Ginobili who can transform the Spurs from an entertaining and competent traveling basketball carnival into the Greatest Show on Earth.

"Just watching Manu in practice makes us remember how much we missed last year and even the year before when he was at half-speed in the playoffs," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

It is understandable that there has been so much fuss over all of the new faces on the San Antonio roster. Two-fifths of last year's starting lineup --- Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto --- were traded away for high-flying Richard Jefferson to inject energy and athleticism into the offense. The rookie draft pick DeJuan Blair has already impressed many of the Spurs with his aggressiveness on the backboards and around the hoop. Additions Antonio McDyess and Theo Ratliff bring the wizened know-how of veterans who are seeking one more chance at glory.

But get beyond the newcomers' buzz and maybe the biggest reason the Spurs can consider themselves back in the thick of the Western Conference mix and once more contenders for a championship is the return of Ginobili to good health and his old tricks.

Part bold lion tamer, flamboyant trapeze artist and nerveless high wire walker, Ginobili is the one who elevates the Spurs from playoff team to, "Uh-oh! How do you stop that?"
As the Frenchman Parker might say, he gives the Spurs their je ne sais quoi.

"He is an incredible player and we were offensively challenged without him," Popovich said. "We didn't realize how much we were challenged until we got to see him play again. He adds so much now that he's healthy."

A season ago, when he played only 44 games due to surgery on his left ankle and the eventual development of a stress fracture in his right ankle, Ginobili was nothing like the no-limits, Jackson Pollock-type creator that he was when he won the Sixth Man Award and was named to the All-NBA third team. He not only scored, he defended. He not only defended, he lit the fuse. He didn't just ignite the Spurs, he helped them explode to their championships in 2003, 2005 and 2007.

He gets to the rim for layups and dunks and draw fouls. He draws double-teams away from Duncan and now can open things up more and allow Jefferson to go 1-on-1.

"I wanted to be that player last year and I think I did things that were a help to my team," Ginobili said. "But it wasn't ever the same. Not at the beginning of the season when I had the surgery and not at the end when the stress fracture came. I always want to work to do what I can for my team, but this was really working --- do you know what I mean? --- trying to be myself. It was disappointing. It was annoying. It was frustrating."

It was also alarming to the Spurs. They knew he would be entering training camp as a 32-year-old with plenty of miles on his odometer. He played five seasons in Argentina and Italy prior to his seven with the Spurs. Toss in another 100 playoff games in San Antonio and, with his contract expiring this season, there were some concerns that injuries, if not career-threatening, could be signs that his live-wire playing days were behind him.

That is, until he arrived in training camp and began to do all of those things again after an offseason of forced rest, at the strict orders of the Spurs organization.

"I wasn't happy, but these were my instructions," Ginobili said. "I had no permission to touch a basketball in July and August. But it was before that, too, and it was toughest for me in April, May and June, when I was watching my teammates and my opponents in the playoffs. My adrenaline was going and all I could do was sit there and watch. I don't like this at all."

He had no choice. In addition to all of the previous NBA seasons he'd spent throwing his body madly around the floor, there were all of those offseasons when he played for the Argentine national team in international competitions. He injured the left ankle in the Beijing Olympics.

"All I know about the difference is that, unlike a lot of summers, all Manu was able to do this summer was sit on his ass," Popovich said. "He didn't do anything and now he's 100 percent healthy. We got him out of game shape on purpose to let his body rest and to heal, so he could do the things he's done for us in the past."

The wild things, the crazy things, the special things.

"I don't even want to count or think about last season," Ginobili said. "Just 44 games, all the things I could not do.

"Now I have watched over the summer and I've seen changes. Probably to be as good as the Lakers, Cleveland and Boston, we needed some new faces."

And some healthy, rehabilitated older ones.

"TD is healthy and Tony is in good shape," Ginobili said. "I feel like I can be myself again," Ginobili said. "I feel like we have a shot again."

TIMMYD!
10-14-2009, 08:23 PM
If our lineup is twice as healthy as last year the trophy is ours for the taking.

alchemist
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm tired of all the talk/articles I just want the season to start! :toast

SouthTexasRancher
10-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Grrrrrrreat article!!! Thanks for posting it...

Agloco
10-15-2009, 09:51 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen......

We have a winner for "Understatement of the Year". :toast

ducks
10-15-2009, 02:44 PM
rj,blair and manu back
= people wanting title
just manu back would not win title

Matches Malone
10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
rj,blair and manu back
= people wanting title
just manu back would not win title

Ducks,
If you keep repeating that to yourself, maybe you can even start believing in it. Many people here know better.
How can it be that you never have anything nice to say about a guy who has demonstrated to be an proven winner in any basketball stage, day in and day out?
The adage “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all” comes to my mind every time you post. You act is getting old, it's no longer funny, and gives the impression of a little boy who can’t seem to hold his tongue when he ought.
Do me a favor, man (and I will ask it with the uttermost respect for a person that I don't know personally): Grow up..
Wishing that all of us, Spurs fans, can coexist without these petty dramas; I'll send you my regards.

manu_maniac
10-15-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm not frustrated by reading ducks posts, I'm just concerned about the guy. That post is kindergarten level literacy at best. I'm not even entirely sure of what he's trying to convey there.

NoOptionB
10-15-2009, 07:55 PM
If it were just Manu coming back the Spurs would still not have enough.

ooshmay
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Mannuuuu

Taking it to the Hole
10-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I think with the addition of Jefferson, it is going to take a lot of pressure off of TD,TP,&Manu. Jefferson can be a 20 point a game scorer on any given night, so Manu isn't always going to have to be burdened with the task of providing offensive energy. Where Manu is most effective is in the little things he does, like getting a rebound on a huge possession or making a steal to change momentum. Manu has an uncanny ability to be at the right place at the right time due to his high basketball IQ and instincts. That is what I am looking forward to seeing more than anything. When he changes a game, it usually begins with something small.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-15-2009, 11:58 PM
You all realize that if ginobili gets hurt again and fucks us over for a third straight year in the playoffs that it will pretty much ruin any spurs legacy he has, right?

You, you know this, right?

ducks
10-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I think with the addition of Jefferson, it is going to take a lot of pressure off of TD,TP,&Manu. Jefferson can be a 20 point a game scorer on any given night, so Manu isn't always going to have to be burdened with the task of providing offensive energy. Where Manu is most effective is in the little things he does, like getting a rebound on a huge possession or making a steal to change momentum. Manu has an uncanny ability to be at the right place at the right time due to his high basketball IQ and instincts. That is what I am looking forward to seeing more than anything. When he changes a game, it usually begins with something small.

oh no
you said something about rj
you are now going to be labeled a hater of manu

Matches Malone
10-16-2009, 12:36 AM
You all realize that if ginobili gets hurt again and fucks us over for a third straight year in the playoffs that it will pretty much ruin any spurs legacy he has, right?

You, you know this, right?

Then, I would recommend you to pick up the phone, or send a email, or a letter to Pop and tell him that you don't believe that any upside that Manu can provide to the club would offset the unfatomable risk of getting himself hurt, fucking the Spurs' playoff run over again and ruin any legacy he has, along with the opportunity for another championship (this last part red between lines).
Once again, you guys can not have both ways: i) Manu alone will not get us back to a championship (as per Ducks); ii) Manu gets hurt again and fuck us over for the third straight year in the playoff (as per CBF).
Please start adding value with your comments to the forum. I know it's preseason, but... come on!