PDA

View Full Version : Free agent guards still available

lurker23
10-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Found this list at the end of an ESPN article about Damon Jones signing a contract over in Italy. Obviously the Spurs don't really have any roster spots available at this point, but if there is an injury, or the Spurs decide to trade Michael Finley, or even if Pop decides he absolutely cannot live without a 3rd string point guard, it wouldn't hurt to keep these guys in mind.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4560829

It's believed that Jones decided to seize this opportunity to grab a firm offer in one of Europe's top leagues as opposed to holding out for another NBA job, with numerous veteran guards still searching for roster spots at a time when many teams around the league are looking to carry 14 or even 13 players as opposed to the maximum 15.

Other guards still available in free agency include Earl Boykins, Greg Buckner, Bobby Jackson, Brevin Knight, Tyronn Lue, Stephon Marbury, Rashad McCants, Jerry Stackhouse, Jamaal Tinsley and Jacque Vaughn.

Holt's Cat
10-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Rashad McCants

There's no room at the inn though.

angelbelow
10-14-2009, 11:34 PM
ehh

Spursfan 87
10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
the JV......

Mr. Body
10-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I am not against Marbury coming if a trade is made and a roster spot opens.

:vomit:

TJastal
10-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Found this list at the end of an ESPN article about Damon Jones signing a contract over in Italy. Obviously the Spurs don't really have any roster spots available at this point, but if there is an injury, or the Spurs decide to trade Michael Finley, or even if Pop decides he absolutely cannot live without a 3rd string point guard, it wouldn't hurt to keep these guys in mind.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4560829

It's believed that Jones decided to seize this opportunity to grab a firm offer in one of Europe's top leagues as opposed to holding out for another NBA job, with numerous veteran guards still searching for roster spots at a time when many teams around the league are looking to carry 14 or even 13 players as opposed to the maximum 15.

Other guards still available in free agency include Earl Boykins, Greg Buckner, Bobby Jackson, Brevin Knight, Tyronn Lue, Stephon Marbury, Rashad McCants, Jerry Stackhouse, Jamaal Tinsley and Jacque Vaughn.

Spurs honestly have enough on the roster at SG, and that was even before Popovich got uptight and went overkill w/ the Bogans' signing.

TJastal
10-15-2009, 12:03 AM

Oh ya, that would be a good fit, lets just trade George Hill for him straight up, since we wouldn't need him once we had Turdbury.

I like how you think Phila. Let's get that lovable loony tune from Mars. He's perfect replacement for George Hill, because as we all know Hill has just sucked so bad so far this pre-season and Pop just hates him.

montgod
10-15-2009, 12:08 AM
There's no room at the inn though.

I agree... McCants would be interesting, but there really isn't anymore room on the roster. Boykins wouldn't be a bad change of pace scoring guard to come off the bench either, but with the way Hill is playing, he already fulfills that as well as a very good defender.

Obstructed_View
10-15-2009, 12:14 AM

I'm excited at the news that the Spurs have apparently gotten a 2nd string point guard. Who'd they get?

EricB
10-15-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm excited at the news that the Spurs have apparently gotten a 2nd string point guard. Who'd they get?

His name is Hill.

Number 3.

Played tonight...

Obstructed_View
10-15-2009, 12:33 AM
His name is Hill.

Number 3.

Played tonight...

Too bad he's not a point guard.

EricB
10-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Too bad he's not a point guard.

So I guess Hairston was the point guard tonight then.

AussieFanKurt
10-15-2009, 02:41 AM

I'd hate to see any of the non bolded ones playing for spurs but then again most of the bolded ones dont fit the spot either

DJB
10-15-2009, 03:03 AM

:pctoss

MaNu4Tres
10-15-2009, 03:29 AM
We don't need any guards.

/ Thread

bugoy
10-15-2009, 04:03 AM
His name is Hill.

Number 3.

Played tonight...

and dont forget pops man crush on Hill :lol

pop lets hill make play calls so you know what they say...in pop we trust

lotr1trekkie
10-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Why so much bitching? We are loaded this year. Hill, Blair, Ian & Malik. This team is 12 deep. We will make a trade. For what IDK.

ElNono
10-15-2009, 08:45 AM

http://dearyouonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/thefuck.jpg

wildbill2u
10-15-2009, 08:55 AM
I guess this thread is an example of why God made fans and Coaches as separate species of life forms.

I. Hustle
10-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Is Mugsy Bogues still available?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-15-2009, 09:10 AM
If I had known that the University of Houston's Damon Jones was available I would have been driving that FA bandwagon for months now. The man has championship experience! And his clutch shooting in game 4 of the 2007 NBA finals saved the series from the infamy of the being the lowest scoring championship series ever, IIRC. You can't teach those sort of intangibles. Now we can only stew in our own futility.

Spursfan092120
10-15-2009, 09:55 AM
He's been signed by some Euro-team.

http://www.forfun.us/funpic/1227125614-Midget-basketball-Picture-Gallery.jpg

galvatron3000
10-15-2009, 10:17 AM

:lol

Morg1411
10-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Were you given a suicide pill?

Good.

Agloco
10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Is Jacque Vaughn available? :hat

Nathan Explosion
10-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Out of any PG on that list, if some special need were to arise, I wouldn't mind seeing Bobby Jackson. The guy can still hit a big shot when he's in the game. However, I don't think the Spurs need any guards period. Hill seems to be holding down the backup PG spot (despite what some here think) and we have more than enough 2 guards.

DaBears
10-15-2009, 12:17 PM
This yr the main problem will be not the shortage of guards but where to find the minutes for all them. Spurs coaching staff have a challenge ahead of them. Pop and the rest of the coaching staff should be able to make everyone happy as long as wining is paramount and everyone knows what their role is from the get go...

galvatron3000
10-15-2009, 01:47 PM
I'd hate to see any of the non bolded ones playing for spurs but then again most of the bolded ones dont fit the spot either

Don't mind Earl Boykin, Bobby Jackson or Brevin Knight in a 3rd string role personally.

jjktkk
10-15-2009, 05:28 PM
So I guess Hairston was the point guard tonight then.He may not be a traditional pg, but he canrun the offense score, and defend. Plus hes he goes all out every time hes on the floor. What more do you want in a backup pg?