PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Griffin says Blair will fit with Spurs

duncan228
10-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Griffin says Blair will fit with Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Griffin_says_Blair_will_fit_with_Spurs.html)
Mike Monroe

When Blake Griffin checked into a midtown Manhattan hotel the day before the NBA draft, he sent a text message to his good friend, Pittsburgh forward DeJuan Blair.

“At hotel in NY; Where U at?” the text message read.

Blair's response: “Not there.”

Puzzled, Griffin sent a second message, inquiring about Blair's arrival time. This time the response left Griffin totally perplexed.

“He let me know he wasn't coming to New York at all,” said Griffin, the Clippers rookie and 2008-09 College Player of the Year who was the No. 1 overall selection of the draft. “That confused me and surprised me.”

In fact, Blair wasn't in the “green room” at Madison Square Garden, awaiting an expected curtain call to pose with commissioner David Stern after being announced as a first-round pick. That was because the league had determined it wasn't likely that Blair would be taken in the first round, which turned out to be the case.

Instead, the Spurs made him the 37th overall pick.

Blair has vowed to make the 29 teams that passed on him regret the decision.

Griffin believes he will make good on his promise.

“It doesn't matter that he didn't go (in the first round),” Griffin said. “He got drafted where he was meant to be, and I know he's going to make the best of it.”

The two power forwards became good friends at summer basketball. On Wednesday night, they went head-to-head at the AT&T Center in a preseason game. Griffin had 23 points and seven rebounds. Blair turned in his second double-double, with 11 points and 12 rebounds in Los Angeles' 93-90 victory.

Griffin was strictly a power forward at Oklahoma, but Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy plans to try him some at small forward this season.

“He's got great effort and a skill level, as far as ball handling and passing, that are off the charts for a big guy,” Dunleavy said. “His shot is getting better and deeper all the time.”

Blair knows his future never will be on the perimeter but said he is eager to see Griffin at small forward.

“They're really going to play him out there?” he said. “I want to see that.”

Lucas back: Former Spurs coach John Lucas is back on the sidelines in the NBA, added to Dunleavy's staff. Lucas replaced Jerry Tarkanian as Spurs coach on Dec. 18, 1992, and coached the team through the end of the 1993-94 season.

“I'm having a blast,” said Lucas, who coached the 76ers and Cavaliers after leaving the Spurs. “I've always had fun coaching.”

Equipment notes: Manu Ginobili wore black shoes, explaining as he checked into the game in the first quarter that he was going with his rebel look.

Tim Duncan, wearing a brace on his left knee, had the device wrapped in white tape between the first and second quarters.

Duncan played 16 minutes and had six points and five rebounds.

PuttPutt
10-15-2009, 12:06 AM
I hate to say it, but who the fuck cares? Griffin is a ROOKIE. His opinion doesn't count.

rayray2k8
10-15-2009, 12:23 AM
wtf? did you even read the article??

completely deck
10-15-2009, 12:25 AM
I hate to say it, but who the fuck cares? Griffin is a ROOKIE. His opinion doesn't count.

Calm down, spaz, he said something nice.

EricB
10-15-2009, 12:32 AM

I hate to say it, but no one cares what you think.

PuttPutt
10-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Irregardless of what Griffin says, it does not matter. When the verterans compliment him & they should, he'll get his due.
Blair has vowed to make the 29 teams that passed on him regret the decision.“It doesn't matter that he didn't go (in the first round),” Griffin said. “He got drafted where he was meant to be, and I know he's going to make the best of it.”
IMO Blair is a great player, better than Griffin. Griffin said nice things, but veteran NBA players don't care what comments are made by a rookie. Being in the same draft class is fine & all, plus being "good friends" is nice. What it all comes down to, is his (Griffin) opinion doesn't really count. Blair will prove that he is a very good player.

PuttPutt
10-15-2009, 12:39 AM
I hate to say it, but no one cares what you think.

Just because I give my opinion, doesn't mean you have to be a dick.

redzero
10-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Irregardless of what Griffin says, it does not matter. When the verterans compliment him & they should, he'll get his due.
Blair has vowed to make the 29 teams that passed on him regret the decision.“It doesn't matter that he didn't go (in the first round),” Griffin said. “He got drafted where he was meant to be, and I know he's going to make the best of it.”
IMO Blair is a great player, better than Griffin. Griffin said nice things, but veteran NBA players don't care what comments are made by a rookie. Being in the same draft class is fine & all, plus being "good friends" is nice. What it all comes down to, is his (Griffin) opinion doesn't really count. Blair will prove that he is a very good player.

>irregardless

rayray2k8
10-15-2009, 12:52 AM

Damn. Don't expect me to ever give you a compliment then. :blah
No need to be an ass about it because the spurs lost.

raspsa
10-15-2009, 12:57 AM
In retrospect, I tried putting myself in Blair's position and can only imagine the disappointment and hurt at not being able to attend the draft ceremony. Then to receive those text messages from his friend Blake who was not aware of developments must have stung. Anyway, things worked out well for Blair and the Spurs and he now has all the motivation to leave his mark on the NBA.

PuttPutt
10-15-2009, 01:02 AM
Damn. Don't expect me to ever give you a compliment then. :blah
No need to be an ass about it because the spurs lost.

I never ever will ask for compliments. Preseason doesn't count. I'm not hurt that they lost. Just because I have a strong opinion on Blair over Griffin, is my opinion. Griffin is a good player, but IMO Blair will be more of a complete player than Griffin will ever be. Although, I can see Griffin's career lasting a little longer than Blair's. Blair, to me, just brings more to the table as a player.

redzero
10-15-2009, 01:09 AM
I never ever will ask for compliments. Preseason doesn't count. I'm not hurt that they lost. Just because I have a strong opinion on Blair over Griffin, is my opinion. Griffin is a good player, but IMO Blair will be more of a complete player than Griffin will ever be. Although, I can see Griffin's career lasting a little longer than Blair's. Blair, to me, just brings more to the table as a player.

That would be very interesting to see.

PuttPutt
10-15-2009, 01:15 AM
That would be very interesting to see.

Yes it will be. I hope that I am right. Many teams will miss out on Blair's NBA contribution.

Nathan Explosion
10-15-2009, 01:35 AM
I don't think Blair is more of a complete player than Griffin for the simple fact that Griffin has a better all around game both offensively and defensively. He went #1 for a reason.

Also, somebody cares about what Griffin thinks. I'd imagine his comments were a response to a question that someone asked him. I rather doubt that he just tossed his comments out of the blue.

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2009, 01:53 AM
I don't think Blair is more of a complete player than Griffin for the simple fact that Griffin has a better all around game both offensively and defensively. He went #1 for a reason.

Also, somebody cares about what Griffin thinks. I'd imagine his comments were a response to a question that someone asked him. I rather doubt that he just tossed his comments out of the blue.

griffin is no different to all the white stiffs who are lottery picks, either bust or overrated...look at morrison, kvh, reddick for example...

EricB
10-15-2009, 02:05 AM
griffin is no different to all the white stiffs who are lottery picks, either bust or overrated...look at morrison, kvh, reddick for example...

Except he isn't white you fucktard.

dirk4mvp
10-15-2009, 02:09 AM

There's a lot of similarities between Griffin and those guys.

xellos88330
10-15-2009, 02:20 AM
MY SIG ROCKS!!!

Damn that sig is funny as hell!!! Wish I had found it.

phxspurfan
10-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Griffin was strictly a power forward at Oklahoma, but Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy plans to try him some at small forward this season.

“He's got great effort and a skill level, as far as ball handling and passing, that are off the charts for a big guy,” Dunleavy said. “His shot is getting better and deeper all the time.”

Blair knows his future never will be on the perimeter but said he is eager to see Griffin at small forward.

“They're really going to play him out there?” he said. “I want to see that.”

The fact that Dunleavy would try to fit Griffin in at SF speaks to the ineptitude of that organization. He's basically Amare with better handles.

#2!
10-15-2009, 05:41 AM
Although Griffin doesn't have the height OU alleged in college, he certainly seems to have the talent, as well as the capability to use it. Blair is fantastic, but better than Griffin? Sounds like a homer dream to me. And I was pretty anti-Blake Griffin myself for a while.

raspsa
10-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Let's just enjoy their performances as their respective careers unfold. They're on very different teams with different roles to play. Both their teams are glad to have them. The time to compare them, if ever, will be when they have a lot more seasons and accomplishments under their belts.. but for the meantime, just enjoy watching two talented players compete.

benefactor
10-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Things are getting out of hand around here.

ElNono
10-15-2009, 07:49 AM
I thought Griffin was awesome yesterday. The only thing not going his way is that he's in the Clips.

fyatuk
10-15-2009, 07:59 AM
>irregardless

Bringing up the fictional double negative word in the sentence?

I wasn't going to say anything about it...

lotr1trekkie
10-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Trade Blair for Griffin and we will all go home happy

wildbill2u
10-15-2009, 08:51 AM

"Blair better than Griffin" is one of those comments that prove why NBA players don't care what fans think.

If you look at our vets and coach's comments on Griffen they were very laudatory and agreed that Griffen deserved to be the number one pick. So I guess they think Griffen > Blair.

Doesn't take away from Blair being a very good addition to the team to acknowledge that Griffen is number 1 in this rookie class.

K-State Spur
10-15-2009, 08:59 AM

he's half. but he's not a stiff either way.

probably only the #1 overall pick because of how weak the draft was, but he still compares favorably to a guy like Boozer (unfortunately, that includes both ends of the floor - his brother took all the tough defensive post assignments at OU).

flox
10-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Just because I give my opinion, doesn't mean you have to be a dick.

Your opinion shouln't be such a huge dick either.

FromWayDowntown
10-15-2009, 09:47 AM
he's half. but he's not a stiff either way.

probably only the #1 overall pick because of how weak the draft was, but he still compares favorably to a guy like Boozer (unfortunately, that includes both ends of the floor - his brother took all the tough defensive post assignments at OU).

Seeing Griffin last night in person for the first time, I'm pretty well convinced that he's the real deal. He strikes me as much, much more athletic than a guy like Boozer -- he had two Lebron-esque throw-downs on lobs last night, going up in traffic, soaring above a crowd, and getting to the rim with great power. Like Boozer (in the main) he's also a relentless hustler, it appears, but I think he's able to rely on athleticism as a rebounder more than just savvy. He showed solid range on his jumper last night, to go along with some confidence in that shot as well.

Agloco
10-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Bringing up the fictional double negative word in the sentence?

I wasn't going to say anything about it...

Good thing you didn't then. Do your own research; here's a start.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Agloco
10-15-2009, 09:50 AM

I don't give a fuck if he's green with chocolate sprinkles on top, he's not as good as Blair. Period.

DisAsTerBot
10-15-2009, 10:35 AM
wow. I didn't realize how delusional a lot of our fanbase actually is....

benefactor
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I am of the opinion that water is not wet.

Nathan Explosion
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
For those who don't think that "irregardless" isn't a word, here's something from the link provided above.

The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech

As for Griffin vs Blair, bad knees or not for Blair, Griffin was going #1. There's a reason for that.

PDXSpursFan
10-15-2009, 12:05 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/93/fullj.4941baae1d098e737ef9ed11e904f140/4941baae1d098e737ef9ed11e904f140-getty-91026098ce001_clip_spur.jpg

DisAsTerBot
10-15-2009, 12:07 PM
For those who don't think that "irregardless" isn't a word, here's something from the link provided above.

and this little tidbit you conveniently left out:

Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

K-State Spur
10-15-2009, 12:09 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/93/fullj.4941baae1d098e737ef9ed11e904f140/4941baae1d098e737ef9ed11e904f140-getty-91026098ce001_clip_spur.jpg

although if they held their arms up as high as they'd go - blair reaches higher than griffin.

Nathan Explosion
10-15-2009, 12:12 PM
and this little tidbit you conveniently left out:

Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

The question wasn't about usage, but rather, how everyone says that it's not a word. It is a word. That's the point. I agree that regardless should be used, even though I've used irregardless before.

Having said that, recommended usage is not relevant.

Nathan Explosion
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
although if they held their arms up as high as they'd go - blair reaches higher than griffin.

Until they jump that is. That Griffin guy can jump out of the building.

Muser
10-15-2009, 12:22 PM
I know a lot of people are probably joking, but if you think Blair > Griffin you are a retard.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm not qualified to make any judgements on his game, but I can say for certain that he looks like an Easter Island Head.
http://www.giantscape.com/graphics/showcase/rep_01_v1.jpg

Demo Dick Marcinko
10-15-2009, 12:33 PM
What Griffin said about Blair has no bearing on the outcome of the season, and what he said is solely and strictly a human interest story, no more no less. Kinda like the kind of story where a guy locks himself in a refrigerator and eats his own foot to survive. Or how about, thousands flock to Poteet the see the image of Elvis in a thong on a 3 foot high strawberry. Yeah like that.

I thought what Griffin said about Blair was pretty cool, but the refrigerator story was more interesting.

Some of you guys if you were given a bag full of money, you'd complain about the bag.

The season can't get here fast enough. I live behind enemy lines in Arlington, 1/2 mile from Jerry's new digs and I hear every day how the geldings are going to own the Spurs "again". He who cries first bangs the other guys sister, or how ever the saying goes. I have already signed up for NBA league pass on Time Warner. Let's get it on.

Demo Dick Marcinko
10-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I know a lot of people are probably joking, but if you think Blair > Griffin you are a retard.

I don't know about them being a retard, but certainly misguided. I think at the end of their respective careers, Blair will have proven to be the superior rebounder, an above average passer and a more then adequate scorer arounded the basket up to 15 feet out.

Griffin will be a prolific scorer, above average passer and rebounder and have much better handles for a big man and a much better scorer from the perimeter then Blair. Still for the 37th pick Spurs are laughing all the way to the bank.

raspsa
10-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Uh-oh.. blair wearing knee protection

exstatic
10-15-2009, 09:22 PM

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wp0405_elliott_1024.jpg

ooshmay
10-15-2009, 09:24 PM

HAHA.. what a douche..

Agloco
10-16-2009, 09:42 AM

As for Griffin vs Blair, bad knees or not for Blair, Griffin was going #1. There's a reason for that.

Sooo....

Was that really for those who do think irregardless is a word?

Not bashing you, but I just wanted to point out that the reason it isn't widely accepted is vividly illustrated in your use of a double negative. In this case irregardless is essentially the same "double negative" as it can be replaced by regardless. It creates quite a lot of confusion.

Agloco
10-16-2009, 09:47 AM

It's just under his knee.....

Looks more like a support that fits right under the patella, you know, where ACL's are ordinarily located......

phxspurfan
10-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Yeah what is that calf thing with the scales they are all wearing these days? Kobe wore one on his shoulder and Wade sported one I think. T-Mac has them on his calf sometimes (when he's not in street clothes). It makes them look like half turtles.