PDA

View Full Version : Lindsey Graham: The GOP will NOT become the party of Angry White Guys Like Ron Paul

nuclearfm
10-15-2009, 12:05 AM
(CNN) – South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham has always enjoyed a little back-and-forth with belligerent audiences.

He was at it again on Monday night as he faced down an angry town hall crowd in Greenville packed with libertarians and Tea Party activists who accused at the Republican senator of ditching conservative principles by working with Democrats on issues like climate change and voting to send Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court.

But Graham stressed a mantra he's repeated many times since his friend John McCain lost the presidential election last November — that the GOP must reach out to different constituencies, or face extinction.

"I'm not going to leave the Republican Party," Graham said when one questioned asked him why he hasn't yet joined the Democrats. "I'm going to grow it. We're not going to be the party of angry white guys."

His comments were met with a salvo of boos and shouts of "Ron Paul!"

"I love this party," he responded. "I'm not going to be let it be hijacked by Ron Paul."

Graham emphasized his conservative bona fides — particularly his record of opposing abortion rights and support of gun rights — but said GOP needs to build a broader coalition. Otherwise, he warned, those trying to purify the party will turn Congress over "to the most liberal people in the world because somebody disagrees with you."

"I'm going to find people in Maine, Delaware, Illinois and other places that can win," he said. "And I'm going to help them, and we're going to move this party and this country forward. If you don't like it, you can leave."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/10/13/graham-gop-not-going-to-be-the-party-of-angry-white-guys/

Lindsey Graham is a seriously serious guy

Obstructed_View
10-15-2009, 12:26 AM
No, instead they're going to stay the party of angry religious nuts funded by the gun companies, led by race-baiting talk show hosts who've never had a real job, and will continue to be too inept to take any kind of political advantage of the inept handling of virtually everything since Obama was elected, wasting what small mount of political capital they have on re-writing textbooks and blocking any kind of gun-related legislation.

DMX7
10-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Ron Paul is the best thing that party had going for it.

Nbadan
10-15-2009, 12:31 AM
led by race-baiting talk show hosts who've never had a real job,

Don't forget that they all pocket millions, hundreds of millions every year, yet they always claim to be 'for the people'...the GOP populist movement......they're for the people alright...the people who sign their paychecks..

Nbadan
10-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Ron Paul is the best thing that party had going for it.

Paul just says the right things, but I've never seen him refuse a earmark...

iggypop123
10-15-2009, 12:33 AM
some people still think lindsay graham is a woman

Obstructed_View
10-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Don't forget that they all pocket millions, hundreds of millions every year, yet they always claim to be 'for the people'...the GOP populist movement......they're for the people alright...the people who sign their paychecks..

Um, you just described the democrats for about the last fifty years, but you inserted GOP in there. Fail.

DMX7
10-15-2009, 12:48 AM

There's nothing wrong with earmarks, it's pretty much the job of congressmen to lobby for what's best for their constituents. He was, however, just about the only republican to take a reasonable stance against the Iraq war and has mostly respectable opinions even if some of them are kind of "out there"... or at least they seem genuine and not "purchased" by private lobbyist.

DarkReign
10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Graham emphasized his conservative bona fides — particularly his record of opposing abortion rights and support of gun rights — but said GOP needs to build a broader coalition.

Summary: My credentials are in order on the most important wedge issues, but fiscally I am about as conservative as Freddy Mercury minus the AIDS.

DarkReign
10-15-2009, 09:13 AM

Remove GOP and insert DNC and this statement still holds true.

antimvp
10-15-2009, 09:16 AM
WTF? Ron Paul had absolutley nothing to do with the tea parties.

more like Dick Armey, Grassley, Bauchman, Palin and all those conservative talk show hacks.

Ron Paul is easier to pick on than those other guys who are the real assholes.

boutons_deux
10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
GOP is already captured by angry, white males, both wealthy and poor, and by militant, murderous "Christian" supremacists and theocrats.

From Graham's own very enlightened, civil, open-minded South KKKarolina, a typical example:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2009/06/14/2009-06-14_pol_gorilla_is_related_to_first_lady.html

in2deep
10-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Lindsey Lohan is a republican?

George Gervin's Afro
10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I hope the GOP does succeed in getting rid of all non-card carrying conservatives. :toast

101A
10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Summary: My credentials are in order on the most important wedge issues, but fiscally I am about as conservative as Freddy Mercury minus the AIDS.

This.

balli
10-15-2009, 10:23 AM

That being the case- I've really enjoyed Graham's theatrics as of late. I understand what he really is, but between his sparring with angry crowds and the humorous candor he brought to the Sotomayor hearings, I'm finding it hard not to embrace his role as a provocateur.

elbamba
10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
, led by race-baiting talk show hosts who've never had a real job,

Outside of being a talk show host isn't that one of the main complaints republicans have with President Obama?

rjv
10-15-2009, 11:56 AM
ron paul is not their kind of anygry white guy. rush is.

hope4dopes
10-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Lindsey Lohan is a republican?I don't think for long

coyotes_geek
10-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Ron Paul isn't the angry white guy republicans need to be worrying about not becoming.

coyotes_geek
10-15-2009, 04:56 PM

I remember seeing an interview with him once where he said that he fights to ensure that every dollar taxed away from his constituents by the federal government gets returned to their community. As far as I know he's never said he's opposed to earmarks.

NoOptionB
10-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't even care about politics anymore.

A bunch of morons have too much of a voice in this stupid ass country.

Galileo
10-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Earmarks are good, becasue they take power from unelected bureacrats, and give it to the representatives of the People.

Earmarks also increase transparancy in government.

Obstructed_View
10-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Outside of being a talk show host isn't that one of the main complaints republicans have with President Obama?

That should be the problem most voters have with most politicians. The difference is that one of them can't even buy a football team and the other one is the leader of the free world, and they have about the same qualifications.

LkrFan
11-22-2019, 07:05 AM
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/727604522156228608?s=19

https://twitter.com/LGsConscience/status/1197693113499869185?s=19

Sold his soul to an Orange devil. SMH

baseline bum
11-22-2019, 09:14 AM
LMAO, epic bump Hector.

AaronY
11-22-2019, 09:26 AM
LMAO, epic bump Hector.
The best parts of Graham died with McCain tbh

boutons_deux
11-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Earmarks are good, becasue they take power from unelected bureacrats, and give it to the representatives of the People.

Earmarks also increase transparancy in government.

:lol

LkrFan
11-22-2019, 09:48 AM
LMAO, epic bump Hector.

:lol

Spurs Homer
11-22-2019, 09:55 AM
James Comey- prophet:

Amoral leaders have a way of revealing the character of those around them. Sometimes what they reveal is inspiring," Comey wrote of Mattis resignation.However, Comey also added that "more often, proximity to an amoral leader reveals something depressing."
"Accomplished people lacking inner strength can’t resist the compromises necessary to survive Mr. Trump and that adds up to something they will never recover from," Comey wrote. "It takes character like Mr. Mattis’s to avoid the damage, because Mr. Trump eats your soul in small bites."

boutons_deux
11-22-2019, 10:03 AM
James Comey- prophet:

Amoral leaders have a way of revealing the character of those around them. Sometimes what they reveal is inspiring," Comey wrote of Mattis resignation.However, Comey also added that "more often, proximity to an amoral leader reveals something depressing."
"Accomplished people lacking inner strength can’t resist the compromises necessary to survive Mr. Trump and that adds up to something they will never recover from," Comey wrote. "It takes character like Mr. Mattis’s to avoid the damage, because Mr. Trump eats your soul in small bites."

An uncle who was into classical Greek culture said the Greeks had the observation that a man's faults, weaknesses are hidden in his armpits, so when the man becomes a leader and raises his arms to point the way forward, his faults and weaknesses are exposed.

Trash isn't, never has been, a "leader". He's just an ignorant, incompetent, emotionally stunted, mentally ill prick of a con man, exposing his supporting 100M? Americans as gullible, connable.'

Spurs Homer
11-22-2019, 10:06 AM
An uncle who was into classical Greek culture said the Greeks had the observation that a man's faults, weaknesses are hidden in his armpits, so when the man becomes a leader and raises his arms to point the way forward, his faults and weaknesses are exposed.

Trash isn't, never has been, a "leader". He's just an ignorant, incompetent, emotionally stunted, mentally ill prick of a con man, exposing his supporting 100M? Americans as gullible, connable.'

well I would never accuse Trump of being a leader

i do accuse him of being a traitor and a criminal and it has been confirmed many times

spurraider21
11-22-2019, 04:17 PM
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/727604522156228608?s=19

https://twitter.com/LGsConscience/status/1197693113499869185?s=19

Sold his soul to an Orange devil. SMH
its crazy... during the 2016 primaries i said my favorite candidate among the crowded field of the republicans was graham (shifted to kasich as the field narrowed) and noted that the biggest turnoff his is warhawk mentality. but now he's got trump derangement syndrome

LkrFan
11-22-2019, 04:19 PM
its crazy... during the 2016 primaries i said my favorite candidate among the crowded field of the republicans was graham (shifted to kasich as the field narrowed) and noted that the biggest turnoff his is warhawk mentality. but now he's got trump derangement syndrome

Tell me about it
https://twitter.com/funder/status/1197911609739530240?s=19

SMH

FrostKing
11-22-2019, 04:20 PM
Graham is a perfect example of why I haven't fully embraced the American Republican party

RandomGuy
12-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Graham is a perfect example of why I haven't fully embraced the American Republican party

The Republican party has sold itself completely to rich oligarchs. You have only to really follow the money, and look at the last few "tax cuts" they have proposed. The modern GOP has actively worked to shift the tax burden from the wealthy onto everybody else.

That is about all you need to know. They can pay for creepy sycophants like Graham all day long, and they get them by the dozen.

Reck
12-02-2019, 04:18 PM
More like the party where every ex-convicts go to run.

Stella the thief, Duncan the thief and now Papadapolus wants to run because, why not its the GOP. :lmao

LkrFan
12-11-2019, 06:01 PM
https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1204897492644569094?s=19

Winehole23
12-11-2019, 06:09 PM
Lindsay Graham could do something to reform FISA, he's the Senate Judiciary Committee chair.

Just a hunch, he won't do shit.

RandomGuy
12-11-2019, 06:12 PM
https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1204897492644569094?s=19

Well that would explain a lot.

boutons_deux
12-11-2019, 09:54 PM
So the Old Lesbian From South Carolina has been bought and compromised by Pootin.

Winehole23
10-05-2020, 11:26 PM
Proud boys

https://thegrio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Joe-Biggs-x-Lindsey-Graham.jpeg

Spurtacular
10-06-2020, 12:05 AM
The following is no commentary on anything that has been said in this thread.

It's a shame there's no salvage value in the Democrat Party. It's sad when replacing d-bags like Graham isn't even an upgrade.

Ef-man
10-27-2020, 11:20 PM
Lady L at her best:
https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1321200214175338511

Spurminator
10-27-2020, 11:27 PM
Ron Paul isn't the angry white guy republicans need to be worrying about not becoming.

Prescient.

RIP

DMX7
10-27-2020, 11:44 PM
Lindsey is just awful.