PDA

View Full Version : big 12 preseason basketball rankings out:

K-State Spur
10-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Looks about right based on who has what coming back and coming in.

Discuss:

Team (First Place Votes) Points
Kansas (11) 121
Texas (1) 111
Oklahoma 95
Kansas State 92
Texas A&M 74
Oklahoma State 69
Missouri 66
Iowa State 57
Texas Tech 34
Baylor 33
Nebraska 38
Colorado 13

mookie2001
10-15-2009, 09:15 AM
tha era of jcovan

Whisky Dog
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Who does Texas have this season? I know they lost Abrams who was the only shooter on the team, gonna be tough if they don't have perimeter shooters

rjv
10-15-2009, 11:48 AM
kansas is going to be very hard to overcome. they are loaded this year.

K-State Spur
10-15-2009, 12:11 PM
kansas is going to be very hard to overcome. they are loaded this year.

really the only thing that can stop them (at least in this conference) is the one ball aspect. they've got a lot of guys who are used to being the man, how will they react to having to take a backseat to others. not that they would implode, but will guys start taking bad shots knowing that they might not see the ball for a few possessions. it's happened before.

but on paper, it's an easy call. the only reason it wasn't unanimous is because bill self can't vote for his own team.

mookie2001
10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Texas' best shooter is probably freshman SF shawn williams, he has nba range, top guard in the nation coming in avery bradley, 6-3 but real athletic, is dunking more than the entire team in practice, he and varez ward are the best defenders on the perimeter, bradley should start and score a bunch of points, my favorite newcomer is jcovan brown, another 6-2 SG, typically texas but hes a pure scorer. he was class of 08 but couldnt enroll because of academics

jai lucas transfer from florida will be eligible in december is the only other true PG besides balbay

texas finally has 2 6-6, 6-7 SFs in williams and jordan hamilton, they havent had that in a decade, the depth could push justin mason and balbay to the bench

varez ward is most improved and is currently the starter at PG, might be lucas or bradley by tournament time

the strength is the bigmen though

MajorMike
10-15-2009, 02:21 PM
OSU has most Anderson, whom most believe is the best player in the B12, but not much around him.

DMX7
10-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Outside of Kansas and Texas, the BigXII doesn't seem to have much Basketball firepower this year.

K-State Spur
10-15-2009, 03:31 PM
OSU has most Anderson, whom most believe is the best player in the B12

Baloney.

Most believe that it's Aldrich with Collins as a close second. At a DISTANT third, Brackens probably gets the most love.

Other than those 3, yeah, most believe that Anderson might be the conference's top player.

K-State Spur
10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Outside of Kansas and Texas, the BigXII doesn't seem to have much Basketball firepower this year.

I wouldn't say that.

OU, KSU, and A&M could all be very good. Each is probably a year away from being a threat to make a big run - but every year a couple of teams hit their stride earlier than expected.

Hell Mizzou went to the elite 8 last year and is expected to finish towards the bottom.

RonMexico
10-15-2009, 03:35 PM
5th place is about right. Better than being projected last like my first two years in school (and I suppose every year before I even reached college).

The only thing standing in Kansas' way is the football team.

mookie2001
10-15-2009, 04:03 PM
OU is going to be pretty good, willie warren can score 30 at will and they still have crocker

aggys are going to have a tough time unless they find some scoring, ive always liked bryan davis, nathan walkup looks like he could breakout he was real inconsistant last year though

MajorMike
03-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Baloney.

Most believe that it's Aldrich with Collins as a close second. At a DISTANT third, Brackens probably gets the most love.

Other than those 3, yeah, most believe that Anderson might be the conference's top player.

So, you still stand by that flame?

K-State Spur
03-06-2010, 11:00 PM
So, you still stand by that flame?

how was that a flame?

i never said they were better than anderson, the question was who most people BELIEVED was the best player COMING into the season.

It wasn't Anderson then...but it is now.

coyotes_geek
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Decent job by the coaches on their predictions. A miss on Texas, and really big misses on OU and Baylor. But outside of those 3 they were pretty much spot on.

MajorMike
03-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I think the early point was about perception. You may have understood that from up there, but down this area they definitely thought the B12 POY was going to be between Warren, James and Anderson.

K-State Spur
03-09-2010, 03:16 PM
That may be the Oklahoman view - and eventually the right one.

But my perception was more regional/national than a kansas one:

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=204809092