PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Blazer Porter reflects on returning to the Memorial Coliseum

tlongII
10-15-2009, 09:38 AM
http://columbian.com/article/20091014/BLOGS05/910149995/-1/BLAZERBANTER

http://columbian.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=TC&Date=20091014&Category=BLOGS05&ArtNo=910149995&Ref=AR&maxw=250&q=100&border=0

Former Portland Trail Blazer Terry Porter spoke Wednesday morning about being back at the Memorial Coliseum.

Porter on his best memories about playing in the building:

I think just initially you walk back and you start thinking about all your years here, obviously. This being a morning shootaround, it's not quite as cold as I remember it. Many of my shootarounds was involved with me wearing gloves and guys having an extra layer of sweatsuits on, trying to stay warm. It's actually pretty warm this morning. But that's always fun — little quirky things like that that you remember right away. We walked in and Jerome said, 'Oh, it's kind of warm in here this morning.' So, that was nice. That part is always fond memories. As far as the arena itself, God, I have so many great memories. I think one that jumps out in my mind, we played what a lot of people called the 'perfect quarter' in this building against San Antonio. And I don't think, we must've missed two or three shots. We did everything right that quarter, and ended up scoring 40-something points. The playoff games in this arena. Game 7 against San Antonio, (Kevin) Duck(worth) running out of the locker room after he broke his hand and didn't play in any of the game but Game 7. That same series, I think Jerome jumped out and saved a ball, and we were down by three or four points or something. I got it, and threw it to Clyde (Drexler). Clyde raced down the court and scored and got an and-1, and we came back and ended up winning that game, and winning that series. You know, I think there's been so many — our battles with Seattle. In the first round — we were first seed, they were eighth seed, and they took us to Game 5 here. And so I always remember that as a fond memory. And, obviously, losing, which is not a fond memory, but losing to the (Los Angeles) Lakers; we lost to them Game 1 here — was that (19)92? I think it was between our two finals appearances. And we lost Game 1, but won Game 2, and ended up losing the series in six games, and that's painful, 'cause all those years we had talked about, worked about getting home court advantage and really working and trying to make the regular season mean something for us, so we can have something in the playoffs. And so that's a disappointment when you walk in this building. But, you know, 99.9 of the memories are always good walking through here. Where, obviously, I started as a rookie, came through here ... and just continued to kind of play and blossom as a player.

On the importance the Memorial Coliseum had in creating the Blazers' legacy:

Well, this is where the only championship they have was won, was on this floor in this building. So, I think that in itself obviously speaks for it. Our finals and our playoff runs were obviously a piece of the history. So, I think it's a tremendous amount of history, when you talk about this building and what it's done for the Blazers over the years. I think it's huge. You know, and obviously I think the Rose Garden is starting to work towards that, but they need more playoff appearances and go a little bit deeper before I think people start getting that feel for it. Obviously, the fan support is definitely back — I mean, that place the noise level just gets crazy with all the fans in there. But this place is special. I think there's no doubt it's special when it comes to Blazer history, all the way back to the championship year through our runs.

On whether he knew the team's last game in the building was the end of the Blazers' run at the Memorial Coliseum:

No, we lost to Phoenix in the playoffs. I'm trying to think if we were down in that series — I think we were down 2-1; I think it was in the first round. And so, I think we were trying to win that game and take it to Game 5 back in Phoenix. And we ended up losing that game. I mean, we obviously knew the consequences if we didn't win — we would be sent home. But at the time, I'm trying to think if there was a lot of talk about they were going to close down the MC at that time. I don't recall, just because maybe I'm old. It was probably brought up, but I just don't remember that being something that we thought, talked about pregame, saying, 'Hey, this it. We can't let these guys close out our building. We got to send it back to Phoenix.'

Following a question about former Blazers announcer Bill Schonely, Porter reflected on his emotions:

It's going to be interesting for me to be in here with my kids. My kids have never seen me play in this building. I break out them old DVDs — not DVDs, 8-tracks almost; Beta or something. I'm excited; they've never seen me play in this building. It's going to be fun. It's going to be kind of awkward, sitting here, watching the game being played. But, you know, it's going to be a lot of fun.

On whether he recalls hitting a specific big shot in the building:

Believe it or not, again, not my shot in particular, but the one shot that didn't go that was big was the Danny Young shot against Detroit. That was big. I had some great series here. The Utah series, first two games I shot lights out against those guys. Clyde was unbelievable. In those two games, I think I went ... 10 for 12 or 10 for 11 from 3-point line. I think it was something like that. So, I think from that standpoint, I've been blessed to been put in situations like that, from all the great teammates I've had; Clyde has been unbelievable ... it was just a fun run. The journey was always good. Guys you meet, and the guys we had on those teams were fun to be around with; joking all the time and just enjoying each other's company.

On the importance of the Blazers returning to the Memorial Coliseum:

I think it's critical. I think it's important you recognize what past players, their past history is, and try to connect with the current players. I think the fans really enjoy that. I think, when you talk about a fan base, they've seen — it's been 40 years, and they've had a lot of great memories. And I think it's important that the organization always reach back and let the younger players know what the past history of the team is; the players and what they achieved during their era, and what they tried to — a standard has been established, and what's expected of them going forward.

On whether he still thinks about not being able to win the NBA Finals:

Man, I think everybody who was a part of any of those teams think about — you know, everybody talks about that window of opportunity, and I think there's no doubt that was our window. And when you think about — obviously losing to Detroit, I think we played a good series, but back then, a lot of times, the teams that made it to the finals the first time very rarely won it the first time. So, you kind of chalk that up as a learning experience, a teaching moment, a learning moment. We came back the next two years, where we thought, 'OK, now is our opportunity.' And then we lost to the Lakers in the Western Conference finals the next year — I think everybody thinks was definitely the year; we had the best record in the league; we had beaten, obviously, Chicago at the time, pretty handedly during the regular season. And then the next year, obviously, we made it back and we lost. So, I think everybody thinks about it. I know I think about those times. When you talk about playing this game — and, obviously, some guys never had a chance to get to the finals or even have a championship. So, I always think about those times, and what if you could go back and change a few things and make it happen. But it was an unbelievable journey, more than anything. And, obviously, the outcome was not what we would've liked. But it was a heckuva fun ride for this city, and for all the players that was part of those teams — it was a blast.

djohn2oo8
10-15-2009, 09:38 AM
lol blazers

Culburn369
10-15-2009, 09:39 AM
lol Sarver,,,,keep sendin' them checks.

tlongIII
10-15-2009, 09:42 AM
TP was awesome wasn't he dad?!

Spursfan092120
10-15-2009, 09:56 AM
lol Blazers...