good news
Devin begins practice today

bad news
Devin's return for the playoffs remains a question :rolleyes

Spurs, Duncan one step closer
Web Posted: 04/15/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Tim Duncan spent more time on an underwater treadmill than he cares to remember the past three weeks. He ran sprints on a soccer field in Los Angeles. He ran circles at Dallas' American Airlines Center and on a court at the University of San Francisco.

With the Spurs' coaching and training staffs watching, he picked up paper cups while balancing on one leg. He shot hundreds of free throws — well, too.

Finally, after determining his right ankle was strong enough to let him play in a game, Duncan stepped on the floor Wednesday at the Delta Center. He had one goal.

"It sounds funny," Duncan said, "but I just didn't want to mess anything up."

Duncan accomplished that and more. He made 6 of 7 shots, scored 17 points and grabbed seven rebounds in 20 minutes.

The Spurs lost 93-91, but Duncan wasn't on the court for the final 9:26. After he exited with a three-point lead, Utah outscored the Spurs 11-2 over the next three minutes.

"Timmy looked pretty good," Tony Parker said. "He played with a lot of confidence. It didn't look like the ankle was bothering him. "I can't wait to see him play more minutes."

The Spurs' goal for their final three games will be the same as it was Wednesday: Work Duncan back into the flow, get a little rest and try to build some semblance of a rotation. :rolleyes

Devin Brown could be cleared to practice today, though his availability for the playoffs remains in question. He hasn't played since March22 because of a herniated disk in his lower back.

Rasho Nesterovic, who sprained his left ankle Saturday, isn't expected back until the start of the playoffs, at the earliest.

"We started to play pretty well lately without Tim, figuring it out without him and Rasho," coach Gregg Popovich said. "But now we have to figure it out a different way.

"We're probably going to have to have a different rotation to start the playoffs than we thought we would have had."

The Spurs' task is to ensure Duncan remains a part of that rotation. At the start of Wednesday's game, he looked tentative as he tried to get used to playing again with nine other people on the court. He also was mindful of where he stepped. During a six-week period, he sprained his right ankle three times, landing on someone's foot on each occasion.

"It would have been awful if this had been our first playoff game and he was still trying to get some time in and get the banging down and that sort of thing," Popovich said. "So he gained a game by doing that (Wednesday), I hope."

Popovich, who had hoped to limit Duncan to eight minutes each half Wednesday, gradually :rolleyes will increase his time.

"Pop's the intelligent one," Duncan said. "Luckily enough, he's the coach and I'm not. I'm going to take my time really getting back into a rhythm, making sure I'm not pushing it too hard and end up hurting myself."

Duncan will need time for his lateral movement to improve. Changing directions and starting and stopping quickly still aren't easy.

But considering Duncan hadn't played since March 20, the Spurs were impressed by his timing. He hit a bank shot, drove into the lane to throw in a short hook and went up and under a defender for a layup. The only shot he missed he successfully put back.

"I wish I could play like that after missing 12 games," Manu Ginobili said.

The Spurs went 8-4 during Duncan's absence. After being humbled in New York and Indiana — the first two games after Duncan sprained his ankle — they gradually built some confidence. With Duncan on the sidelines cheering last weekend, they won consecutive games in double overtime.

"Even seeing him working so hard and trying to run and rehab and come on trips with us was huge," Ginobili said.

Duncan was just glad to be back on the court. Now he hopes to help get the team playing as well as possible before the playoffs begin.

"It's going to be tough," Duncan said. "There's so many injuries, so many guys hurting. We're going to add people, try to keep the rhythm these guys already have and go from there."

:cry :cry

so, if Devin missed the playoffs, Beno will play? :angel

thispego
04-15-2005, 01:37 AM
welll, Duncan sure as shit better stay healthy, those ankles are so tender, I bet pop just told him to take jumpers from here on out until the playoffs, we can't have him jumping on anymore feet

Kori Ellis
04-15-2005, 01:56 AM
That's not really good news or bad news about Devin. It's pretty much no news. They'll know a lot more after he practices.

Experiment2100
04-15-2005, 02:33 AM
Duncan and Step should no go in the same sentence.