PDA

View Full Version : SLAM: Top 50: Dirk Nowitzki, no. 9

duncan228
10-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Top 50: Dirk Nowitzki, no. 9 (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamonline-top-50/2009/10/top-50-dirk-nowitzki-no-9/)
The definitive ranking of the NBA’s best players.
by Emry DowningHall
SLAM

I know what you’re thinking, and honestly, I can’t blame you. Before I go and make the case for the most versatile 7-footer in NBA history, I thought I’d combat any initial dissent by channeling my inner Nowitzki to see if he can save me the trouble:

“Klar, obwohl wir mit zwei zu null in den Finals fuehrten, haben wir am Ende verloren. In der naechsten Saison haben wir zwar die meisten Spiele gewonnen, sind aber in der ersten Runde der Playoffs ausgeschieden. Was soll ich dazu sagen? Nelly und JAX hatten es einfach drauf. Natuerlich will man solche Rueckschlaege am liebsten aus dem Lebenslauf streichen, aber im Basketball musst Du auch manchmal Hoehen und Tiefen erleben. Unterm Strich bin ich der vielseitigste 2-Meter-Mann in der Geschichte der NBA. Keiner kein mir das Wasser reichen und ich werde jeden Tag besser. Emry, uebernimm mal …”

Scheisse, apparently my inner-Nowitzki speaks German. Unfortunately, I don’t, so let me give it a shot on my own.

There’s no getting around the fact that this 7-0, high-arching assassin has two demerits on his N.B.A. legacy. First, the Mavericks lost the 2006 NBA Finals after holding a 2-0, and nearly a 3-0, lead against Dwyane Wade, the officiating crew, and the Miami Heat.

The following season the Mavericks posted the League’s best record, 6th best in NBA history, only to bow out in the 1st round against Nelly and the Golden State Warriors. The series was an absolute nightmare for the Mavericks and Nowitzki, who struggled to adjust to the myriad of scheme coverages Nelly threw at him, losing in six games.

The 2007 postseason disappointment was put under extended review when Nowitzki was honored with the league’s MVP award 10 days later. Even while receiving the highest honor an individual can achieve at the highest level of professional basketball, it was obvious he was struggling to put a positive spin on the Maurice Podoloff trophy.

I could use this graph to hurl a slew of clichés regarding putting it all in the rearview, or using failure as motivation going forward, but I’m not going that route. These are the facts. Nowitzki has never made excuses, so it would be moot for me to do that for him. My job is to explain why his position at No. 9 on the SLAMonline Top 50 is justified, and there’s plenty of fodder for that.

Check the resume; he is literally un-guardable at 7-feet tall with unlimited range on his shot. For his career, he’s getting 23 points, 9 rebounds, 87 percent free throw, 3 dimes and 1 block every time he suits up. Hands down, the most popular international player not hailing from a country with a population of 1.3 billion, and the first non-North American MVP in league history. Of his 11 years in the league, he’s been named to an All-NBA team nine times, including a first team selection in 2009.

It’s important to note that just because a 7-footer doesn’t make his living exclusively on the block, that doesn’t automatically qualify him as soft. Nowitzki actually has an outstanding history of durability, playing in at least 76 games every season, other than his first year in the league. He has what’s become an almost mythical ability to return from injury. As Mavericks athletic trainer Casey Smith explained to Mark Stein in 2008: “It’s not necessarily that Dirk is a fast healer. He’s back playing so fast because he does everything possible to return as quickly as possible and because he is by far one of the toughest players I’ve ever worked with. Everyone thinks that once he’s back on the court that he’s healed up, but in reality he usually deals with his injuries for days or even weeks after returning.”

Many years removed for their futility, people forget Dirk’s role in turning around what was easily the worst franchise in professional sports. As a frame of reference, think back to the original arcade version of NBA JAM. With the countless number of quarters you pumped into that machine, did you ever once play as the Mavericks? Did anyone, ever? Remember how they used to rank the popularity of each team at each location? With respect to Derek Harper and Mike Iuzzolino, I’m pretty certain Dallas was last everywhere, even in Dallas.

A Don Nelson-orchestrated draft day fleecing of the Bucks and Suns landed future MVPs Steve Nash and Nowitzki in Dallas, and the foundation for transformation was in place.

While it’s easy to point to Nowitzki’s playoff shortcomings, people rarely mention a young Dirk leading Dallas past Stockton and Malone in the 2001 playoffs - questionable haircut and all – for the franchise’s first playoff series win since 1988. Or the 2006 Western Conference Semifinals 7 game victory against a Spurs team that will make a case for being the franchise of the decade.

Sure, none of that matters if you’re not hoisting the Larry O’Brien trophy when the final buzzer sounds, but you’re crazy if you don’t think Nowitzki co-signs on that sentiment.

Reached via-email in reaction to Nowitzki landing No. 9 on the SLAMonline Top 50, Mark Cuban offered his thoughts on Dirk’s impact and legacy as a Maverick: “Dirk is the face of this franchise. We never would have been able to accomplish anything without him. He is a cornerstone not just on the court, but in setting the culture of the organization as well.”

While Cuban’s support of his favorite import comes as no surprise, it also doesn’t make his statement any less valid.

Notes

• Rankings are based solely on projected ‘09-10 performance.

• Contributors to this list include: Jake Appleman, Brett Ballantini, Russ Bengtson, Toney Blare, Shannon Booher, Myles Brown, Franklyn Calle, Gregory Dole, Emry DowningHall, Jonathan Evans, Adam Fleischer, Jeff Fox, Sherman Johnson, Aaron Kaplowitz, John Krolik, Holly MacKenzie, Ryne Nelson, Chris O’Leary, Ben Osborne, Alan Paul, Susan Price, Sam Rubenstein, Khalid Salaam, Kye Stephenson, Adam Sweeney, Vincent Thomas, Tzvi Twersky, Justin Walsh, Joey Whelan, Eric Woodyard, and Nima Zarrabi.

• Want more of the SLAMonline Top 50? Check out the archive (http://www.slamonline.com/online/category/nba/slamonline-top-50/)

badfish22
10-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Dirk should be at least 6. I know its a homer pick, but its what I believe and can't convice my self other wise.

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Wade
4. Paul

Than 5,6, and 7 are Duncan, Dirk and Dwight. Not sure in which order though.

And judging by the comments section on Slam, people agree with me.

Mel_13
10-15-2009, 05:39 PM
SLAM's top 8 alphabetically:

Anthony
Bryant
Duncan
Durant
Howard
James
Paul
Wade

Mavs_man_41
10-15-2009, 05:56 PM
"First, the Mavericks lost the 2006 NBA Finals after holding a 2-0, and nearly a 3-0, lead against Dwyane Wade, the officiating crew, and the Miami Heat."

Glad to see some people saw what really went down

Ditty
10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
dirk is not a top 10 player

clambake
10-15-2009, 06:33 PM

then why couldn't spurs get past these scrubs?

Mavs_man_41
10-15-2009, 06:41 PM
if dirk isn't a top 10 player, and jet/howard are questionably even top 30 players, so how the hell did we beat you guys?

badfish22
10-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Than either is Duncan

Mavs_man_41
10-15-2009, 06:46 PM
dirk>>duncan

Ditty
10-15-2009, 06:52 PM
lol dallas is nothing but scrubs who the spurs well absolutley wreck on this year
dirk is just a offensive player like alot of players in this lead nothing more he's just a good player on a bad team
dirk is not even in duncans lead dumbfuck
duncan is defintley a top 10

dirk4mvp
10-15-2009, 06:53 PM
What a shit tier troll.

Ditty
10-15-2009, 06:53 PM
4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>0
Duncan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dirk

Ditty
10-15-2009, 06:58 PM
what a bunch of ass hurting mavs fans who get butt hurt on opinions

badfish22
10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
lol dallas is nothing but scrubs who the
spurs well absolutley wreck on this year
I assume you met "will". But anyway, scoreboard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtkvAua4yA).

dirk is just a offensive player like alot of players in this lead nothing more he's just a good player on a bad team
A team good enough to kick the Spurs ass.

dirk is not even in duncans lead dumbfuck

:wtf.................... :lmao

Ok, I'm the dumbfuck :rolleyes :lol

Mavs_man_41
10-15-2009, 07:04 PM
ignorantspursfan troll needs to make an appearance and this threadf would be complete. i see leetonidas is already lurking :tu

NoOptionB
10-15-2009, 07:04 PM
How is DHo considered ELITE when he folds up in the playoffs when the season is on the line?

Ditty
10-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Than either is Duncan

your the dumbfuck saying this :lol

to a guy who done 5 times more than dirk has ever done

Ditty
10-15-2009, 07:07 PM
thats why duncan in his primed raped dirk in the playoffs lol

Sportstudi
10-15-2009, 07:07 PM

Seriously, not ranking Dirk among the Top 10 is just pure ignorance. Sure, I wouldn't put him on top, but he's definitely among the best players. Maybe you made that statement because you're a Spurs-fan and you can't give any compliments or concessions to a Mavs-player.

Ditty
10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Seriously, not ranking Dirk among the Top 10 is just pure ignorance. Sure, I wouldn't put him on top, but he's definitely among the best players. Maybe you made that statement because you're a Spurs-fan and you can't give any compliments or concessions to a Mavs-player.

dirk is just a shooter any real mavs fan would know that

clambake
10-15-2009, 07:36 PM
so....spurs can't get past a lowly shooter?

Ditty
10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
so....spurs can't get past a lowly shooter?

they did for a couple of years but he just made a fluke no call in 2006 and had to have his boys make shots for him this year

don't get me wrong dirk is a good player but he's not top 10 anymore IMO

clambake
10-15-2009, 07:55 PM
so...your answer is "we still can't get past the mavs".

Ditty
10-15-2009, 07:59 PM
so...your answer is "we still can't get past the mavs".

and yall can't be a healthy spurs team and even win a cahmpionship :elephant

Xylus
10-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Dirk is a Top 10 player. Period.

Aletazorro
10-15-2009, 08:18 PM
your the dumbfuck saying this :lol

to a guy who done 5 times more than dirk has ever done
LOL it sucks to quote dumbass anyways, and I'm pretty sure there are far more similar dumbasses on Spurs fanbase, yourself for example. :wakeup

Aletazorro
10-15-2009, 08:21 PM
and yall can't be a healthy spurs team and even win a cahmpionship :elephant
Before calling someone else dumbass please make sure you're not being one, son.

ezau
10-16-2009, 12:56 AM
I consider Dirk the walking mismatch of the NBA. Anyone you put on him, whether it's a big or not, he still has the advantage. There's no question that he's one hell of an offensive wrecking crew. Despite all the accolades, the god-given talent, and skill set; he'll always have an asterisk before his name unless he wins his first ever championship

Ghazi
10-16-2009, 02:42 AM
The only thing that deserves an asterisk is the Cheats 2006 championship

Dirk

ezau
10-16-2009, 02:43 AM
The only thing that deserves an asterisk is the Cheats 2006 championship

Dirk

Oh I forgot, The Mavs are the 2006 NBA champions. :toast

DieMrBond
10-16-2009, 07:05 AM
I don't understand all the hate for Dirk. The only reason would be he is a Mav, but that doesnt mean you cant acknowledge how good he is. Dude is a damn good player, easily top 10, and another good humble human - from what you can tell without knowing the guy. It's not his fault he plays for Cuban and with jack-asses.

How is it even debatable that he is top 10?

Sportstudi
10-16-2009, 08:02 AM
I don't understand all the hate for Dirk. The only reason would be he is a Mav, but that doesnt mean you cant acknowledge how good he is. Dude is a damn good player, easily top 10, and another good humble human - from what you can tell without knowing the guy. It's not his fault he plays for Cuban and with jack-asses.

Go and ask SPURSOWNTEXAS. Maybe he can explain something which is not understandable for normal human beings... As I wrote, probably he made that statement just because he's a Spurs-fan and somehow he can't give any compliments or concessions to a Mavs-player.

For instance, all of you would go nuts if I don't see Duncan within the Top 10. That's of course bullshit. Definitely, Duncan belongs there and so does Dirk. I never said that I would put Dirk on top, but to deny that he belongs among the Top 10 is just pure ignorance.

Muser
10-16-2009, 08:43 AM
The dude averages 30 ppg, how is that not good?

anakha
10-16-2009, 09:08 AM
No denying that Dirk is top-10 worthy.

No denying as well that each team has its own share of ignorant fans - even the Spurs.

stretch
10-16-2009, 09:20 AM
fans who resort to "ring smack" are almost always bandwagon fans that jumped on as soon as their team started winning championships.

so the spurs have more ignorant fans than mavs fans can possibly imagine. those fans get on my nerves so much, that sometimes the thought of the Mavs winning a championship pains me, as there is nothing i despise more than ring smack, because it is literally the worst argument anyone can make in sports.

Culburn369
10-16-2009, 09:35 AM
that sometimes the thought of the Mavs winning a championship pains me

That's just a defense mechanism your mind is employing to facilitate your denial of near maniacal want.

It's like normal...

It had Kobe= nude, listenin' in rapt attention to Artest in the shower, barein' his teeth, suckin' wind, makin' his girls call him "Grumpy", makin' Radmo leave town, in near maniacal want of :::ringin'...

Hey, it worked out for Kobe!:lobt2:sans Daddy!

in2deep
10-16-2009, 09:36 AM
SLAM's top 8 alphabetically:

Anthony
Bryant
Duncan
Durant
Howard
James
Paul
Wade

1. James
2. Bryant
3. Duncan
4. Paul
5. Wade
6. Dirk
7. Howard
8. Anthony
9. Durant

that's how the order shoulda been

stretch
10-16-2009, 09:39 AM
That's just a defense mechanism your mind is employing to facilitate your denial of near maniacal want.

It's like normal...

It had Kobe= nude, listenin' in rapt attention to Artest in the shower, barein' his teeth, suckin' wind, makin' his girls call him "Grumpy", makin' Radmo leave town, in near maniacal want of :::ringin'...

Hey, it worked out for Kobe!:lobt2:sans Daddy!

you're a moron

Culburn369
10-16-2009, 09:41 AM
you're a moron

Figured that would get yer goatage this morning.

tee, hee.

Just keep tellin' yerself about not wanting that NBA Championship, spud.

tee, hee.

Finperro
10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Figured that would get yer goatage this morning.

tee, hee.

Just keep tellin' yerself about not wanting that NBA Championship, spud.

tee, hee.
You're an immigrant living in LA, hence you don't even know shit about our language not to mention the NBA games. It kinda sucks to chump the immigrant smack as well, not as retarded as the ring smack though. Sometimes I even feel kinda sad for LA to hold/feed so huge a number of retarded immigrants. tee, hee...

HORNSWOGGLE
10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
lol dirk

Finperro
10-16-2009, 10:04 AM
lol dirk
lol someone that curbstomped the shit outta Spurs earlier in playoffs this year.

Culburn369
10-16-2009, 10:05 AM
You're an immigrant living in LA, hence you don't even know shit about our language not to mention the NBA games. It kinda sucks to chump the immigrant smack as well, not as retarded as the ring smack though. Sometimes I even feel kinda sad for LA to hold/feed so huge a number of retarded immigrants. tee, hee...

So, Fin, you agree with lunkhead there:::yer adverse to winning the NBA Championship?

tee, hee.

picc84
10-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Bron
Kobe/Wade
CP3
Duncan/Howard

Anything after that is for grabs.

HORNSWOGGLE
10-16-2009, 12:32 PM
lol someone that curbstomped the shit outta Spurs earlier in playoffs this year.
lol dirk the choker

Allanon
10-16-2009, 01:56 PM
1. James
2. Bryant
3. Duncan
4. Paul
5. Wade
6. Dirk
7. Howard
8. Anthony
9. Durant

that's how the order shoulda been

1. Bryant
2. James
3. Wade
4. Duncan
5. Dirk
6. Paul
7. Anthony
8. Howard
9. Durant

WildcardManu
10-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Yet twice since 2006 you "curbstomped" the Spurs and you guys couldn't even get the job done.

Findog
10-16-2009, 02:17 PM

Because of Miami and Golden State. Doesn't change he's top 10, but those are the most cited reasons.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 02:22 PM
lol dirk the choker

lol utsa

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 02:25 PM
fans who resort to "ring smack" are almost always bandwagon fans that jumped on as soon as their team started winning championships.

so the spurs have more ignorant fans than mavs fans can possibly imagine. those fans get on my nerves so much, that sometimes the thought of the Mavs winning a championship pains me, as there is nothing i despise more than ring smack, because it is literally the worst argument anyone can make in sports.

Taurasi > Dirk

2 rings, faggot.

http://www.wnba.com/media/mercury/taurasi_dad_trophy_300.jpg

Ditty
10-16-2009, 05:42 PM

and when the mavs stop getting all wet that they beat the spurs by a little touch foul in 2006 and when they'll understand the difference ginobili would of made in last years series then well stop meantioning our rings

dirk is a good play and he might be a 10-15 player and thats my opinion I don't hate the mavs or some of the fans but cuban and the fans who cant get over losses in the past and have nothing to say when the spurs beat the mavs

HORNSWOGGLE
10-16-2009, 05:56 PM
lol utsa
lol DUNCANownsKOBE:D

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 05:59 PM
lol DUNCANownsKOBE:D

lol your boyfriend got banned

dirk4mvp
10-16-2009, 06:00 PM
lol your boyfriend got banned

lol too stupid to register a new username