PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Help for those familiar with Denver/Steamboat Springs

chreph
10-15-2009, 04:11 PM
The first weekend of December, my wife and I will be flying into Denver and driving up to Steamboat Springs to spend 3 nights at a resort there. This was sort of last minute and we originally had our hearts set on Lake Tahoe only to find out it was booked for the weekend we would be traveling. It came down to Steamboat Springs, CO and Flagstaff, AZ after that as all other viable options were also booked... yup, "we" (read: my wife) were suckered into a points Timeshare hence the limited choices - but that's besides the point lol. Anyway, I've never been around snow (except when I was 3 and it snowed here in SA) and have no ability to ice skate, roller skate, etc so chances are I'm going to completely suck at skiing. Anyone familiar with the area have any advice? Do I need to buy boots? Is there anything else to do besides ski? I really want to check out the hot springs and spend at least one day in Denver but have no idea what there is to do.

This is more of a quick get away trip to unwind than an actual vacation so I'll be happy just to be there but I don't want to leave and realize there were things I should have put on the agenda. The Spurs are playing the Nuggets that Saturday but it's in SA unfortunately... would've been cool to check out the Spurs in a visiting arena. Thanks for any help!

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2009, 06:18 PM
The first weekend of December, my wife and I will be flying into Denver and driving up to Steamboat Springs to spend 3 nights at a resort there. This was sort of last minute and we originally had our hearts set on Lake Tahoe only to find out it was booked for the weekend we would be traveling. It came down to Steamboat Springs, CO and Flagstaff, AZ after that as all other viable options were also booked... yup, "we" (read: my wife) were suckered into a points Timeshare hence the limited choices - but that's besides the point lol. Anyway, I've never been around snow (except when I was 3 and it snowed here in SA) and have no ability to ice skate, roller skate, etc so chances are I'm going to completely suck at skiing. Anyone familiar with the area have any advice? Do I need to buy boots? Is there anything else to do besides ski? I really want to check out the hot springs and spend at least one day in Denver but have no idea what there is to do.

This is more of a quick get away trip to unwind than an actual vacation so I'll be happy just to be there but I don't want to leave and realize there were things I should have put on the agenda. The Spurs are playing the Nuggets that Saturday but it's in SA unfortunately... would've been cool to check out the Spurs in a visiting arena. Thanks for any help!

OK, I haven't been to Steamboat in probably 20 years because after checking out all the resorts in Colorado out I bought a condo in Crested Butte but I can answer a few of your questions.

Driving from Denver to Steamboat is normally not bad but December in Colorado is always iffy. You can always have ice storms, white-outs etc.
The roads are good and you normally don't need chains...The rental cars will have snow tires and they really work hard at keeping I70 open through the Eisenhower tunnel and down into the western slope. The jog north to Steamboat is not quite as heavily traveled/maintained but it's still good road. Those guys have their shit together on winter travel...if it's not safe they will tell you and they won't let you go.

You are making a good decision not to try to learn how to ski/snowboard in a 3 day trip. It would just be an exercise in frustration and you will be too tired and sore at night to really enjoy yourself. In fact, unless you are planning to dedicate a significant amount of time and money to skiing don't even start. I probably spent at least $100,000 getting to double diamond proficiency since I paid for the whole crew.

As for boots...A cheap pair of pull on/pull off snow boots wouldn't be a bad purchase..you can probably find them pretty cheap on e-bay. They really aren't mandatory...the hotels/resorts keep the sidewalks clear and there are very few places you can't go with regular flat shoes. The only problem you might have is getting your shoes wet if they are having the normal early December weather with freezes/thaws at the base of the mountain. dont wear your $200 basketball sneaks.

when I was there non-skiers could still ride the gondola to the mid-way...you might want to check that out one day...

All ski resorts have great shopping, restaurants, and spas. I can't give you any specifics but I know they will be there.

If the place that you stay at has an outside hot tub you should use it late at night...that is awesome...super cold air, clear starry night, hot bubbly water...splash it up on the rail and it freezes on contact...

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Oh yeah. Denver sucks. Get out of there as fast as you can. Nice airport but its friggen 30 miles out in the prairie. Spend your 3 days in Steamboat.

Twisted_Dawg
10-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Steamboat does get some of the heaviest snowfall in Colorado, but skiing in early December can be dangerous. The snowpack is not that deep since it is early in the season. I damaged an expensive set of skis in an early December trip years ago.

But if you are going to a ski resort, then try your luck at skiing! Live large. I would reccommend you do try skiing. Take some lessons and you will be on the bunny slope. Day two you will be doing real easy greens. Day three, have some balls and try an easy blue.

Forget spending a lot of money on snow boots. Go over to Walmart or Burlington and you will find what you want. Also buy some insulated underwear, gloves and ski hat.
And if you want to try skiing, then buy some ski pants and a coat at Burlington. Burlington has very low prices on ski apparrel and a big selection. Don't be a dumbass and ski in waterproof blue jeans.

WARNING: Skiing is not cheap. You will need to rent the ski boots, skiis and lift tickets are about $75.00 per day.

But there is nothing more exhilarating than flying down a slope in a heavy snowfall.

P.S. If you are not in good physical shape, skip the ski part.

Ginofan
10-15-2009, 06:51 PM
I recommend hitting up the Coors brewery in Golden, CO. Since we've last gone I heard they went to a totally audio tour but at least you still get to hit up the bar afterward!

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Steamboat does get some of the heaviest snowfall in Colorado, but skiing in early December can be dangerous. The snowpack is not that deep since it is early in the season. I damaged an expensive set of skis in an early December trip years ago.

But if you are going to a ski resort, then try your luck at skiing! Live large. I would reccommend you do try skiing. Take some lessons and you will be on the bunny slope. Day two you will be doing real easy greens. Day three, have some balls and try an easy blue.

Forget spending a lot of money on snow boots. Go over to Walmart or Burlington and you will find what you want. Also buy some insulated underwear, gloves and ski hat.
And if you want to try skiing, then buy some ski pants and a coat at Burlington. Burlington has very low prices on ski apparrel and a big selection. Don't be a dumbass and ski in waterproof blue jeans.

WARNING: Skiing is not cheap. You will need to rent the ski boots, skiis and lift tickets are about $75.00 per day.

But there is nothing more exhilarating than flying down a slope in a heavy snowfall.

P.S. If you are not in good physical shape, skip the ski part.

I'm all about living large if you have the cash but seriously...unless you plan on making an investment in getting good at skiing you would be nuts to try to learn on a three day trip on the first weekend in December.

You just can't do it cheap. Beginners really need decent clothes because if they are any kind of aggressive they are gonna spend most of the first two days crashing and picking themselves out of the wet slushy man made early December snow. Cold, wet, tired, frustrated does not = fun.

And Twisted Dawg...while we are on the subject...what the fuck is it about Steamboat and trashing skis? I delaminated a pair there too SPRING skiing...should have been boocoo snow and I hit a (anchored) rock coming out the base of a mogul field at Mach 2 with my hair on fire (can't remember which run)
It wasn't pretty. Looked like a fucking yard sale upslope after I quit cart wheeling and bouncing.

xellos88330
10-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Build your own homemade weather balloon and take it for a spin. Heard that is quite popular there today.

SequSpur
10-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I recommend hitting up the Coors brewery in Golden, CO. Since we've last gone I heard they went to a totally audio tour but at least you still get to hit up the bar afterward!

:toast Definitely...

Dude, I lived in Denver. We go there every year and ski for 3-4 days. You are more than welcome to borrow anything I have but it's all small sizes.. I have ski jackets, bibs, gloves, goggles, etc.

For walking around, just buy some cheap hiking boots or something. You can wear tennis if you stay on the sidewalks and streets and stuff.

Skiing is expensive.. Lift tickets are around $90 per day per person. I recommend getting them at King Soopers in Aurora before you head up the mountain, you will get about a 15% discount. You have to rent ski equipment or snowboarding equipment... about $20 per day at Rocky Mountain Sports Rental at each resort. You can rent bibs also.

As someone said before, take a 1/2 day lesson, DO NOT try and be a hero. That lesson will lead you on the way to alot of fun, trust me. I am frickin hooked. We are planning to go to Winterpark the week after xmas.

Going to the mountains at that time of year is different, there isn't much to do. Its fuckin cold at night and if it's snowing, you are frickin stuck in your room or on the sloop. There are hot springs along I70, just google that shit, but I think that crap is weird and for inbreds. lmao

But, again, there isn't much to do but chill, drink, drop some draws, and sleep...it's to fuckin cold and dangerous up there....

send me a pm with your number if you want to talk about it..

good luck and be careful driving.

SequSpur
10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
oh yeah, and if you rent offsite from the resort, make sure your ski boots are comfortable...nothing worse than skiing in shitty boots.. and you can't exchange them.. I go through this shit all the time.. day 2, my feet are different than day 1 so I usually have to exchange them back in town...you may want to rent at the ski resort so you can switch out shit on the fly.

SequSpur
10-15-2009, 08:33 PM
oh yeah, the local sun and ski sports store on 281 has packing lists for you with all the shit you need to take.

balli
10-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Oh yeah. Denver sucks. Get out of there as fast as you can. Nice airport but its friggen 30 miles out in the prairie. Spend your 3 days in Steamboat.

This. Might as well be West Kansas.

Steamboat is a fine town. I've been there twice. Over the past ten years or so, bark beetles have killed a significant amount of the pine trees in the area. So that's a bummer. Very brown.

I've skied since before I could walk, but I have very little advice. You probably won't have very much fun... though yes, you will need boots.

edit: Somebody said skiing is dangerous in Dec. That might be true if you were mobbing over powder-covered boulder fields or something, but since you haven't skied before, expect to spend your day on a super-groomed, slightly inclined, completely rockless, safe as could be, bunny-hill.

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Going to the mountains at that time of year is different, there isn't much to do. Its fuckin cold at night and if it's snowing, you are frickin stuck in your room or on the sloop. There are hot springs along I70, just google that shit, but I think that crap is weird and for inbreds. lmao

Damn Sequ. Don't be a hater just because you had to dog paddle while they were all standing on the bottom.

chreph
10-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I reeeeaallly don't think I'll be doing too much skiing but I think we might take a 1/2 day lesson just to say we tried it. Like I said, I'm really uncoordinated and can't even ice skate, even though they're two completely different things. I'm definitely gonna hit up Burlington for some cheap boots and ski pants for the one day I decide to put my health at risk after a few glasses of whiskey :toast The gondola ride is a must, as is a snowball fight. My wife is only concerned about seeing snow so as long as it isn't 75 degrees over there and dry, she'll be a happy camper. We've always spent our getaways in TX (SPI, Dallas, Houston, Austin) and always seem to gravitate to Vegas or Florida when we do leave TX so this will definitely be a different experience. I read online that people say there's too many damn Texans visiting Steamboat Springs so I shouldn't feel too out of place :lol Good to know about the rental cars being equipped for the roadways, too. I think it would be in my best interest to spring for the insurance just in case

Surprising to hear that Denver sucks... I always thought it would be a pretty nice place. It really doesn't look too big on a map, it looks like it's the size of Austin. :downspin:

BTW for anyone who is thinking about going this year, we got our flights on Southwest for $74 each way! We've got some pretty expensive vacations coming up with NY and then a tour of Italy on deck so the less I spend on this one, the better :king

CosmicCowboy
10-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I reeeeaallly don't think I'll be doing too much skiing but I think we might take a 1/2 day lesson just to say we tried it. Like I said, I'm really uncoordinated and can't even ice skate, even though they're two completely different things. I'm definitely gonna hit up Burlington for some cheap boots and ski pants for the one day I decide to put my health at risk after a few glasses of whiskey :toast The gondola ride is a must, as is a snowball fight. My wife is only concerned about seeing snow so as long as it isn't 75 degrees over there and dry, she'll be a happy camper. We've always spent our getaways in TX (SPI, Dallas, Houston, Austin) and always seem to gravitate to Vegas or Florida when we do leave TX so this will definitely be a different experience. I read online that people say there's too many damn Texans visiting Steamboat Springs so I shouldn't feel too out of place :lol Good to know about the rental cars being equipped for the roadways, too. I think it would be in my best interest to spring for the insurance just in case

Surprising to hear that Denver sucks... I always thought it would be a pretty nice place. It really doesn't look too big on a map, it looks like it's the size of Austin. :downspin:

BTW for anyone who is thinking about going this year, we got our flights on Southwest for $74 each way! We've got some pretty expensive vacations coming up with NY and then a tour of Italy on deck so the less I spend on this one, the better :king

The Austin of Colorado is Boulder. Denver is Houston. I'm sure it has some redeeming features but IMHO it's just a place to land and change planes.

BTW, you might want to compare the price of taking a puddle jumper to Steamboat as compared to renting a car. It was about the same price the times I went there and that is a way cool airport to fly into/land at...it's on top of a Mesa and the runway runs right to the edge...you are flying in looking down from 600-800' and all of a sudden there is pavement under you and you hear the chirp of the tires hitting. Freaky cool if you are into flying.

And you are right about Southwest. They rock. I have started using them to LA...check the sales and it is $200 round trip and no extra charge for bags.

chreph
10-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Damn Sequ. Don't be a hater just because you had to dog paddle while they were all standing on the bottom.

I'm only 5'7", I might fit in his ... nevermind, no way to phrase this without having the comment blown completely out of context :lol

Thanks for the offer to borrow your stuff but I think I'm just gonna pick up a cheap pair of boots, ski pants, and jacket. I'm sure I'm gonna want to go back to a ski resort after this little teaser trip. Worst-case scenario, I just throw them up on craigslist here as soon as our temps hit the 40s.