PDA

View Full Version : U.S. troop funds diverted to pet projects

spursncowboys
10-15-2009, 06:44 PM
http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/logo_print.gif (http://washingtontimes.com/)http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/close_icon.gif (javascript:window.close();)http://media.washingtontimes.com/media//img/print_icon.gif (javascript:print();)

Originally published 04:45 a.m., October 15, 2009, updated 09:02 a.m., October 15, 2009

U.S. troop funds diverted to pet projects

Shaun Waterman THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Senators diverted $2.6 billion in funds in a defense spending bill to pet projects largely at the expense of accounts that pay for fuel, ammunition and training for U.S. troops, including those fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to an analysis.
Among the 778 such projects, known as earmarks, packed into the bill: $25 million for a new World War II museum at the University of New Orleans and $20 million to launch an educational institute named after the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat.
While earmarks are hardly new in Washington, "in 30 years on Capitol Hill, I never saw Congress mangle the defense budget as badly as this year," said Winslow Wheeler, a former Senate staffer who worked on defense funding and oversight for both Republicans and Democrats. He is now a senior fellow at the Center for Defense Information, an independent research organization.
Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, called the transfer of funds from Pentagon operations and maintenance "a disgrace."
"The Senate is putting favorable headlines back home above our men and women fighting on the front lines," he said in a statement.

Crookshanks
10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Well geez - you should realize that it's much more important to have a monument to "The Swimmer" than to take care of our troops in harm's way. You know - those troops the Democrats really, really (I mean really) support.

clambake
10-15-2009, 06:49 PM
interesting.....lets see the paperwork.

Crookshanks
10-15-2009, 06:52 PM
interesting.....lets see the paperwork.
Let's see if CNN "fact-checks" it - then we'll know it's a lie.

spursncowboys
10-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Let's see if CNN "fact-checks" it - then we'll know it's a lie.
They are looking up wikipedia as we speak.

clambake
10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
either one of you have the paperwork?

aren't you interested?

spursncowboys
10-15-2009, 06:58 PM
either one of you have the paperwork?

aren't you interested? I'm interested and am waiting for you to get it. It's a shame how common place this has become. Would you guys have been willing to give Bush and now Obama a line item veto?

clambake
10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
so....all you have is a paragraph from the washington times.

George Gervin's Afro
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/logo_print.gif (http://washingtontimes.com/)http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/close_icon.gif (javascript:window.close();)http://media.washingtontimes.com/media//img/print_icon.gif (javascript:print();)

Originally published 04:45 a.m., October 15, 2009, updated 09:02 a.m., October 15, 2009

U.S. troop funds diverted to pet projects

Shaun Waterman THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Senators diverted $2.6 billion in funds in a defense spending bill to pet projects largely at the expense of accounts that pay for fuel, ammunition and training for U.S. troops, including those fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to an analysis.
Among the 778 such projects, known as earmarks, packed into the bill: $25 million for a new World War II museum at the University of New Orleans and $20 million to launch an educational institute named after the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat.
While earmarks are hardly new in Washington, "in 30 years on Capitol Hill, I never saw Congress mangle the defense budget as badly as this year," said Winslow Wheeler, a former Senate staffer who worked on defense funding and oversight for both Republicans and Democrats. He is now a senior fellow at the Center for Defense Information, an independent research organization.
Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, called the transfer of funds from Pentagon operations and maintenance "a disgrace."
"The Senate is putting favorable headlines back home above our men and women fighting on the front lines," he said in a statement.

Congress likely to extend tax credit for military personne

Express-News WASHINGTON — A first-time, homebuyer's tax credit that was included in the $787 billion federal stimulus package and claimed by 124,000 Texans could be extended for another year for military personnel under proposals in the House and Senate, officials said Thursday.

The proposals have faced no opposition as lawmakers cite sacrifices made by members of the armed services in urging the extension to provide troops the benefit when they return from overseas deployments.

“Buying a home is an essential part of the American dream — a dream our troops fight for — and those service members should not be denied that dream because of their service abroad,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., who sponsored the legislation in the Senate.

The bill has been sent to the Senate Finance Committee, but a full vote in the Senate could come without hearings after the House voted 416-0 earlier this month to approve its version of the bill.

That legislation was sponsored by Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.

Both versions of the bill enjoy wide bipartisan backing.

“It has my full support,” said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who added that it would aid many service members and “many Texans can take advantage of this.”

Texas is home to 15 major military installations.

The House bill has 40 co-sponsors, including Reps. Lloyd Doggett, D-Austin, and Al Green, D-Houston.

The first-time homebuyer tax credit is set to expire on Nov. 30. The credit provides up to $8,000 toward the purchase of a first home for taxpayers with a gross income of less than $75,000.

It phases out for taxpayers with gross incomes between $75,000 and $150,000.

Lawmakers are also eyeing measures that would extend the credit to all first time homebuyers.

Under both the House and Senate versions of the bill, members of the armed services, U.S. Foreign Service or intelligence agencies would need to show they worked outside the country for at least 90 days in the past year.The tax credit would be extended for one year, until Nov. 30, 2010.

Over 1.4 million Americans have claimed the tax credit, including 124,000 in Texas, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Laredo, said the extension was particularly important “during these tough economic times.”

“It is more important that ever to keep our troops overseas in mind,” said Cuellar.

The legislation is backed by San Antonio-based USAA, a financial services company for the military.

“This legislation expands an important tool in our nation's economic recovery,” said Brian Conklin, vice president for federal government relations at USAA.

More importantly, Conklin said, “It ensures that America's military families can benefit and have a hand in our economic recovery.”

Organizations that support the measure also include Military Officers Association of America and the American Legion

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Congress_likely_to_extend_tax_credit_for_military_ personnel.html

God you're an idiot!

spursncowboys
10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
so....all you have is a paragraph from the washington times. You have access to the same information that I do.
Cheerleader.

NoOptionB
10-15-2009, 07:13 PM
It's all good. Just print some mo'.

clambake
10-15-2009, 07:19 PM
You have access to the same information that I do.
Cheerleader.

nice paragraph.

anything else?

spursncowboys
10-15-2009, 07:23 PM
God you're an idiot! Good job keeping up your irrelevant comments. I didn't read anything about T. Kennedy's driving course.

clambake
10-15-2009, 07:24 PM
still got nothing, huh?

spursncowboys
10-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Are you saying they didn't divert 2.6 billion? There weren't 778 earmarks? Im guessing the repubs are doing it just like the dems. Stop being a cheerleader.

George Gervin's Afro
10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Good job keeping up your irrelevant comments. I didn't read anything about T. Kennedy's driving course.

hello..mcfly, is anybody in there?

clambake
10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Are you saying they didn't divert 2.6 billion? There weren't 778 earmarks? Im guessing the repubs are doing it just like the dems. Stop being a cheerleader.

show us.

hope4dopes
10-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Damn these fuckers are using the corpses of american soldiers as a feeding trough.

coyotes_geek
10-15-2009, 09:35 PM
follow link,
look under defense,
click "senate database",
opens up an excel spreadsheet with 778 earmarks.

http://www.taxpayer.net/resources.php?category=&type=Project&proj_id=2655&action=Headlines%20By%20TCS

The $20M for the kennedy museum is on row 252. The $25M for the New Orleans WW2 museum is on row 518.

Some earmarks had multiple senators requesting them, sometimes even democrats and republicans. 486 of the earmarks involved a request by a democrat, 349 involved a republican.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I believe there are earmarks, but unless someone can point to an actual shortage of ammo and fuel in our theaters of war, I'm just going to conclude that this think tank is looking to make headlines.

ElNono
10-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Well geez - you should realize that it's much more important to have a monument to "The Swimmer" than to take care of our troops in harm's way. You know - those troops the Democrats really, really (I mean really) support.

If you merely want to keep troops away from harm's way, just bring them all home.
We'll save both lives AND money.

LnGrrrR
10-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Good job by USAA supporting deployed members. They've got great service, and I highly suggest any military-affiliated people sign up with them.

Crookshanks
10-16-2009, 11:52 AM
If you merely want to keep troops away from harm's way, just bring them all home.
We'll save both lives AND money.
Well that seems to be Obama's big dilema right now. He can't seem to make up his mind one way or the other. If he doesn't want to support them 100%, then he should bring them home.

spursncowboys
10-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Good job by USAA supporting deployed members. They've got great service, and I highly suggest any military-affiliated people sign up with them.:tu

George Gervin's Afro
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Well that seems to be Obama's big dilema right now. He can't seem to make up his mind one way or the other. If he doesn't want to support them 100%, then he should bring them home.

I think it's a little more complicated than that...just saying.

Wild Cobra
10-16-2009, 09:36 PM
show us.
The database was linked.

Thing is, they get other projects authorized, then tell us how much the war efforts cost, when it actually was less than stated. Because it was in one budget, it's not properly accounted for.

Now some earmarks are fine, others aren't. Some are related, some aren't. I'm not so much against earmarks as I am anything that should be in a different bill, and I'm also against pork. I want a Kosher budget.