PDA

View Full Version : NBA to alter traveling rules

Mel_13
10-15-2009, 07:49 PM
NBA to alter traveling rules

NBA players will be able to take two steps before they have to stop, pass or shoot this season.

The NBA has put into writing a rule allowing players on the move to gather the ball, after driving or catching it, and then take two steps. Throughout NBA history, the rulebook said players could take one step.

The new rule reads, in part "A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

It is believed to be the first time any league, at any level anywhere in the world, has explicitly allowed two steps.

In March, NBA vice president of referee operations Joe Borgia told TrueHoop's Henry Abbott that referees had long been instructed to ignore the rulebook on this point and allow two steps.

On a conference call with reporters earlier this week, NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson told Abbott: "Based on Joe's comments, when you had a conversation with Joe, we did in fact tweak the language on traveling in this year's book."

Enforcement of the one-step rule has been hit-or-miss at every level of basketball. Archival footage shows NBA greats, from Magic Johnson and Pete Maravich to Bob Cousy and Julius Erving, getting away with two steps. Borgia, whose father was also an NBA official, said he cannot remember a time when NBA referees did not allow two steps.

Others insist allowing two steps represents an NBA strategy to aid scorers and make the league more exciting. Legendary point guard and current Knick broadcaster Walt "Clyde" Frazier says the league relaxed traveling standards some time ago to increase scoring.

"They go 20 feet to the hoop without dribbling one time," Frazier said. "This is what they are getting away with nowadays. Some of them are so obvious. You'll hear me on the broadcast saying 'That's a travel! Watch the feet!' Wilt [Chamberlain] would have averaged 100 points a game if they had let him do that.

"When guys couldn't put up points, about when they changed the hand-check rule, they made things easier for scorers, because these players can't shoot like we did," Frazier said. "Those few years when the Knicks were good [the early 1990s] -- that wasn't pretty basketball."

Whether or not this will affect play on the court remains to be seen. Referees have long been instructed to allow two steps and in interviews with NBA players last season there was some confusion about the rule. But most said they thought they were allowed to take two steps.

ESPN.com TrueHoop blogger Henry Abbott contributed to this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4563546

NRHector
10-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Was this rule made for Lebron?:ihit

xellos88330
10-15-2009, 08:40 PM

My thoughts exactly.

KidCongo
10-15-2009, 08:43 PM

I'm pretty sure your should call him LeTravel or LeCrab in this context :lol

pauls931
10-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Now players will be trying to get away with 3 steps.

NRHector
10-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Now players will be trying to get away with 3 steps.what do you mean trying? Lebron was already doing it, they just made official:bang

Spursmania
10-15-2009, 08:49 PM
:frying:

pauls931
10-15-2009, 08:54 PM
This is a joke right?

anakha
10-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Haven't the refs been making travel calls based on taking more than two steps for years?

If so, at least the rule is more consistent now.

sook
10-15-2009, 09:12 PM

its so obvious since everyone can see it

ooshmay
10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm pretty sure your should call him LeTravel or LeCrab in this context :lol

hahaha Crabdribble!!

ezau
10-15-2009, 10:21 PM
wtf??

InRareForm
10-15-2009, 10:23 PM
well one good thing out of this is that duncan will for sure not be called for travelling when he does his little shuffle with the feet when he catches at top of the 3 point line.

siraulo23
10-15-2009, 10:26 PM
Lebron will be unstopabble~

Obstructed_View
10-15-2009, 10:53 PM
If someone calls Parker for that jump stop this year I'm going nuclear.

wanggi
10-15-2009, 10:59 PM
It's authorized under Stein.
Stein wants LeCrab, his money maker do whatsoever he likes.

TDMVPDPOY
10-15-2009, 11:09 PM
i give them 20 games b4 fuck the rules

same shit like the cramping down on players floppin last season

cobbler
10-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Not a shock. They have allowed 2 steps for 40 years... now its just official.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-16-2009, 12:33 AM
wtf
I thought two steps was always the rule

Whoa

TheSullyMonster
10-16-2009, 12:41 AM
wtf
I thought two steps was always the rule

Whoa

Me too! Hell, I was taught it was two steps, I think.:lol

Lars
10-16-2009, 01:56 AM
What a joke

Chieflion
10-16-2009, 03:18 AM
What a joke
Read the article. This has been allowed since the NBA started.

ata
10-16-2009, 03:38 AM

Not at all!

If it would be made for LeBron it would include 4-5 steps, not only 2!

wanggi
10-16-2009, 03:42 AM

Actually they allowed the NBA players to take two steps before they shoot but not allowed them to take two steps before they stop or pass.:lol

PDXSpursFan
10-16-2009, 11:35 AM

The problem is that when the written rule was 1 step, the refs allowed 2. Now they're changing the written rule to 2 steps which means that Lebron will be allowed to take 3 :king

lefty
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
I guess Dejuan Blair will have rip off Lebron's leg

JJ Hickson
10-16-2009, 12:34 PM

First he's gonna have to rip you off his nuts.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
pretty soon, this will be legitimate

hH73R9GIbXg

and this

tcfXElaX_mU

I could keep going, but I'll leave it at that.

z0sa
10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
3 steps is legitimate now - after 2, you can still step forward while keeping your pivot foot back.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:58 PM
3 steps is legitimate now - after 2, you can still step forward while keeping your pivot foot back.
if you keep your pivot foot back, it's not a step.

JamStone
10-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Just make dribbling optional already.

LeCrab
10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Yes!

Suck on those crab cakes, bitches!

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
it is in Cleveland

z0sa
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
if you keep your pivot foot back, it's not a step.

It will be used as one, moron - hence why you were only allowed ONE step before, because you could take another step while keeping your pivot foot.

Don't watch the NBA much? Too used to NBA Live?

Cry Havoc
10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
:lmao at the LeBron haters. Because players never traveled before him, EVER.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 01:19 PM
It will be used as one, moron - hence why you were only allowed ONE step before, because you could take another step while keeping your pivot foot.

Don't watch the NBA much? Too used to NBA Live?
moron? wow...are we getting a little testy? Calm the fuck down, dude. You must not play much basketball. A step take with your pivot foot back is not counted as a step. Period. That's all I was saying. A pivot foot is when you keep your foot on the ground...people take two steps without using a pivot foot all the time...When you take a step with a pivot foot, it's not a step.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 01:20 PM
:lmao at the LeBron haters. Because players never traveled before him, EVER.
Not saying that...and I don't hate Lebron because of his talents...I hate that he was crowned a King when he hasn't won shit. I hate that he tattooed "Chosen One" on his back. I hate that he's even mentioned in the same sentence as Michael Jordan. Lebron isn't near Jordan..he's not even Kobe. Lebron is a great player...but not as good as the hype.

Allanon
10-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Hey, there were the Jordan Rules, why not make the Lebron Rules to solidify his place in history?

z0sa
10-16-2009, 02:00 PM
When you take a step with a pivot foot, it's not a step.

It is believed to be the first time any league, at any level anywhere in the world, has explicitly allowed two steps.

Yet how many times PER GAME EVERY GAME do NBA players AND OTHERS AT EVERY LEVEL take two steps before a shot/layup/dunk? Because they use their 'pivot step' to add another step past the 1 they are allowed?!?!?!?

Now with two steps legal, you can LEGALLY take a third 'pivot step,' as opposed to one step and a second 'pivot step' towards your target. Don't play much basketball? Or is it that you're a moron? Jesus, at least read the article before you decide to be the end-all know-all about NBA rules then contradict the very rules.

T2150
10-17-2009, 08:55 AM
I don't think Lebron travels and takes 3 steps- when you take your 2 steps and finish at the basket or pass you are taking the 2 steps with the ball IN your hand or hands... What Lebron does (Jordan did it as well) is he gains momentum and in essence a free step by not holding the ball during the initial step- so he usually bounces the ball with one hand and while the ball has not yet made it to the other hand or rather while the ball is not being touched at all he is getting this initial free step and when he finally gets the ball in his right hand he then takes his 2 power steps... It would be very UN-natural and difficult to try to take 3 steps while the ball is actually in your hands to make a play at the basket. It would not only feel odd it would look terribly odd i.e. Dr. J free throw line dunk from back in the day...

poop
10-17-2009, 09:08 AM

really. and while they are at it may as well make playing defense against the rules as well, thats the direction theyve been trying to go for years anyway...

KidCongo
10-17-2009, 09:10 AM
it is in cleveland

lol

My Fault
10-17-2009, 11:57 PM
:rolleyes

dirk4mvp
10-18-2009, 12:30 AM
if this rule was made for anybody, it was Wade. He regularly gets away with blatant traveling.

DPG21920
10-18-2009, 12:34 AM

First he's gonna have to rip you off his nuts.

:lol

Spursfan092120
10-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Yet how many times PER GAME EVERY GAME do NBA players AND OTHERS AT EVERY LEVEL take two steps before a shot/layup/dunk? Because they use their 'pivot step' to add another step past the 1 they are allowed?!?!?!?

Now with two steps legal, you can LEGALLY take a third 'pivot step,' as opposed to one step and a second 'pivot step' towards your target. Don't play much basketball? Or is it that you're a moron? Jesus, at least read the article before you decide to be the end-all know-all about NBA rules then contradict the very rules.
Little heavy with the "moron" there, aren't we? Did you make up the rules? Are you that anal about everything? Settle down, dude...All I'm arguing is that they're adding a step in here...that's a fact...like it or not, it's a fact. And it just so happens to be after the whole "crab dribble" incident. I'm not trying to argue with you, or call you a moron...chill with the FUCKING insults.

FkLA
10-18-2009, 12:57 AM
It would be very UN-natural and difficult to try to take 3 steps while the ball is actually in your hands to make a play at the basket. It would not only feel odd it would look terribly odd i.e. Dr. J free throw line dunk from back in the day...

Great point. Unless the players adapt the mechanics used when going for a lay-up (right step, left step, go up with right leg first) than this may not change the game much. Because think about it...for a right hand lay up u normally lead with your right leg and finish with your right leg going up first. If there's a third step in there you'd have to finish with your left going up first, either that or lead with your left. It probably feels completely unnatural and awkward and most players will just continue doing things the way theyve been done.

duncan228
10-18-2009, 12:52 PM
The latest "James Rules" may make life easier for LeBron (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/10/the_latest_james_rules_may_mak.html)
By Brian Windhorst
Cleveland Plain Dealer

DALLAS, Texas -- So-called "star calls" have been commonplace in the NBA for many years, even if it often perturbs fans. But you haven't truly arrived until you have your own "star rules." Shaquille O'Neal has been there for a while, LeBron James is just getting there now.

”Decades ago the league installed a rule that players who are fouled before the ball is inbounded or away from the ball in the final two minutes of the game get free throws plus another possession. This was once known as the Wilt Chamberlain rule but over the last dozen or so years has become known as the Shaq rule. It limits the effectiveness of the Hack-a-Shaq strategy late in close games.

Five years ago this month, the NBA installed a new hand check rule that prevented defenders from placing their hands on players at all when they're driving from the perimeter. At the time the league was concerned about the pace of scoring after watching the Spurs and Pistons rack up titles by holding opponents in the 70s with physical defense.

The fact there were a host of young, skilled drivers in the league probably wasn't a big factor in the decision, but it turned out to be a huge benefit for them. There's no doubt it has been a significant advantage for James, who started exploiting it on a nightly basis and instantly became a regular among the league scoring leaders.

It also was a welcome relief to Dwyane Wade, who uses the rule more artfully than James sometimes, and ultra-quick guards like Tony Parker.

Now comes this. The NBA has re-written another long-standing rule that directly benefits James and surely will kick off some debate with basketball purists. It is now in writing that players are permitted to take two steps after they "gather" the ball and not be called for traveling.

Here is how the rule now reads: "A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

This has been common practice for years. In fact, officials were instructed to allow two steps after the gather despite what the rule book read. But now that it is official, it could clear the way for James to take his driving skills to another level.

One of James' trademark moves since he was in high school has been the jump stop. It is striking when he does it because it doesn't look like it should be legal, the ability to leap several feet to a halt and then take another step to get to the basket.

It had become a somewhat of a forgotten tactic in the NBA, which is why James is so effective with it. In high school often officials would be so taken aback by seeing they'd call traveling even when it wasn't. When he got to the NBA James slowly adapted it and started doing it illegally.

By the letter of the law, players executing a jump stop must land on both feet at the same time and then may establish a pivot foot by taking a step. James is so quick and strong that often he'd use the jump stop as an extra step, landing on one foot and then with the second foot before taking yet another step as his pivot. He often does it so fast and with such grace that he usually got away with it.

There were some officials who didn't allow it, including Bill Spooner last season in Washington. He called James for traveling on his jump stop maneuver and it cost the Cavs a game. Afterwards James made headlines by saying he was executing a "crab dribble," but the truth was he'd been caught in an inproper jump stop.

But the jump stop is a "gather" move, as in the act of gathering the ball from the dribble into the shot. With two steps now allowed, the path has been cleared for James to go back to jump stopping without fear of reprisal. Exactly the sort of news the Most Valuable Player likes to hear.

The "LeBron James Rule" is about to enter the NBA lexicon.

z0sa
10-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Little heavy with the "moron" there, aren't we? Did you make up the rules? Are you that anal about everything? Settle down, dude...All I'm arguing is that they're adding a step in here...that's a fact...like it or not, it's a fact. And it just so happens to be after the whole "crab dribble" incident. I'm not trying to argue with you, or call you a moron...chill with the FUCKING insults.

Only a moron would retort to my reply with "its not a step." It's used as one everyday in every basketball league.

If you actually had a point to make, other than the pivot step that is very often used as a step is not technically a step, what was it?

gospursgojas
10-18-2009, 02:10 PM
This is why when Timmy retires I'll probably stop watching the NBA altogether.

It so flawed.

The money that can be made by it's players' stardom has taken presidence over the actual sport.

NRHector
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Jesus,what else is the NBA going to do to help Leclown win a ring?:ihit

Obstructed_View
10-18-2009, 05:27 PM
It's not like they were really calling him on it, it was just that people were pointing out that what he was doing constituted cheating. Morons have been accusing NBA players of travelling for years because they don't understand that someone can take a step after they lift their pivot foot. If this is actually an alteration to the rules where they're adding another step, I can't wait to see replacement officials have to deal with post players taking advantage of it. If we thought Patrick Ewing took steps, we ain't seen nothing yet.

wanggi
10-18-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6iibPJb-yo&NR=1

duncan228
10-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Phil Jackson on the NBA's New Traveling Rule (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/7118/phil-jackson-on-the-nbas-new-traveling-rule)

Broderick Turner of the L.A. Times asked Lakers Coach Phil Jackson (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi18-2009oct18,0,6299468.story) about the NBA's new traveling rule (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/7097/the-two-step):

If you ask Jackson, the new rule under which players are allowed to take two steps before they have to stop, pass or shoot, is really nothing new.

"Well, I guess if you can't call it, you just regulate it as a rule," Jackson quipped about something players had been doing for years. "But, it's really hard to digest that as a person that's been in basketball for as long as I've been in basketball, that we're just going to give in to this new rule of doing it."

Jackson said he's always been against the "two-step walk," even mentioning how Reggie Miller used to catch the basketball and then go two steps back to get behind the three-point line for a shot.

Jackson said there has been a European style influencing the NBA in which players "guys pick it up and run a couple of steps with the ball."

Jackson said he believes that a player's footwork could become an issue with the new rules. He was asked whether the NBA will soon put in a rule allowing players to carry the basketball.

"Well, palming the ball or carrying the ball has been in our game for quite a while now," Jackson said, adding that Allen Iverson "was probably the most egregious in that distinction. But the discontinue-dribble is the one to stop. When the rhythm of the basketball dribble stops, then there's a definite advantage to the offensive player."

Jackson brings up an interesting point about the internationalization of the game. Many aficionados of international basketball consider the NBA to be vastly more lenient than overseas in allowing all kinds of travels (especially at the beginning of the dribble). But Jackson points back the other way, saying that this particular kind of traveling, at the end of the dribble, is coming from Europe.

Agloco
10-19-2009, 05:24 PM
This is a joke right?

:lmao

duncan228
10-24-2009, 04:16 PM
NBA says traveling rule unchanged (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4589994)
ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- The NBA denied Friday that it has changed its rule on traveling.

Stu Jackson, the league's executive vice president of basketball operations, said recent media reports that the rule had been changed to allow an extra step after the dribble were not true.

"We have not changed the traveling rule, nor how we enforce the rule," Jackson said Friday during the league's annual preseason conference call. "What we did change was some antiquated language in our existing rule as it related to steps."

The section of the NBA rulebook dealing with traveling used to allow players to "use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop." It was reworded this season to say players "may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

In March, NBA vice president of referee operations Joe Borgia told ESPN True Hoop's Henry Abbott that referees had long been instructed to ignore the rulebook on this point and allow two steps.

On a conference call with reporters earlier this month, Jackson told Abbott: "Based on Joe's comments, when you had a conversation with Joe, we did in fact tweak the language on traveling in this year's book."

mojorizen7
10-24-2009, 05:55 PM
http://rpulvino.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/crying-285x300.jpg

duhoh
10-24-2009, 09:36 PM
crab people, crab people

Dunc n Dave
10-25-2009, 12:01 AM
I am shocked that no one has complained about Manu's Euro-step in this thread yet.

Even though 90% of the time he doesn't travel, Anti-Spur fans always believe it's a travel because of how much ground he covers with those long steps he takes. Especially when he steps sideways with his 2nd step tog et around a defender.

mojorizen7
10-25-2009, 12:29 AM
I am shocked that no one has complained about Manu's Euro-step in this thread yet.

Even though 90% of the time he doesn't travel, Anti-Spur fans always believe it's a travel because of how much ground he covers with those long steps he takes. Especially when he steps sideways with his 2nd step tog et around a defender.
Gqx7OqmJpL8

Thats about right D&D, he only takes an extra step about 9 outta ten times going to the basket....which is about twice every night and 160 times a year........:nope

wanggi
10-25-2009, 01:37 AM
"Thats about right D&D, he only takes an extra step about 9 outta ten times going to the basket....which is about twice every night and 160 times a year?

No wonder Gino is an easy-ankle-sprained type of basketball players.

pauls931
10-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Damn, I was hoping for a Dungeons and Dragons talk to break out...

AussieFanKurt
10-25-2009, 07:08 AM
http://rpulvino.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/crying-285x300.jpg

:lol:lmao:lol

No more Mr. Crab ?

How could I even think that the NBA would stop stars from doing what they want

wanggi
10-25-2009, 08:38 AM
:lol:lmao:lol

No more Mr. Crab ?

How could I even think that the NBA would stop stars from doing what they want

What Mr. Crab do is a piece of cake, they can do anything since Kobe raped that girl in Colorado.

pauls931
10-25-2009, 09:13 AM
It does make you think along the lines that the nba/refs grant certain players super powers.

Iverson - enhanced hardaway crossover
Jordan - ability to push off, unlimitted hand checking
LBJ - 2.5 steps
Duncan - being boring yet still popular
Shaq - should to chest to create space in key
Barkley - clearing out with his ass
CP3 - Benefit of the doubt
Nash - being canadian
Kobe - subset of jordan rules
Wade - subset of kobe rules
Parker - allowing a submarine on the court to go below the defense, then emerge near the basket for a layup.