PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' last three preseason games all about preparation

duncan228
10-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Spurs' last three preseason games all about preparation (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_last_three_preseason_games_all_about_prepara tion.html)
Mike Monroe

After using the first four preseason games to evaluate the Spurs' newcomers, coach Gregg Popovich will turn his focus on getting the team ready for the regular season, beginning tonight with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

After tonight at the AT&T Center, the Spurs have two more preseason games: Tuesday, against the Oklahoma City Thunder in Austin; and Oct. 24, against the Indiana Pacers, at Indiana University's Assembly Hall.

“In the beginning, it goes from evaluation, of both talent and conditioning, towards execution by the end of the preseason,” Popovich said. “By then, the evaluation is done, and you know who's going to be in your rotation, for the most part. You've got to get people ready to play the first game, conditioningwise.”

Popovich has used his veterans sparingly so far. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Michael Finley have been held out of two games. Manu Ginobili, Matt Bonner, Antonio McDyess and Theo Ratliff have sat out one apiece.

Ginobili, coming off a stress fracture in his right leg, is eager to play more in the final three games, as much to get his rhythm back as to get in better shape.

“I probably am doing a little better than the first two games, but I still have a long way to go, both offensively and defensively,” Ginobili said after logging 18 minutes and 44 seconds in Wednesday's game against the Clippers.

Tight race: The final preseason games likely will determine whether the Spurs keep a 14th and 15th player on the roster, and which players will earn those potential spots. Malik Hairston and Marcus Williams appear locked in a tight battle for a potential perimeter spot, and both played well in Wednesday's game.

Except for two turnovers, one of them so embarrassing he apologized to DeJuan Blair for blowing a great pass, Williams was satisfied with what he has shown the coaches.

“Other than that one play,” Williams said, “I think I made open shots. The biggest thing for me, honestly, is just being able to settle down defensively, be that guy for them, and be able to hit open shots.

“Open shots come in the flow of this offense. When you play with players of this caliber, open shots are everywhere, because other teams have to worry about Richard (Jefferson), Manu, Tony and Tim. Christmas gifts just fall into your lap.”

Hairston was in the starting lineup Wednesday, happy for the chance to mesh his game with veteran starters.

“It put me in a different situation, playing with some different guys,” he said.

Riverwalkman
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Michael Finley have been held out of two games. Manu Ginobili, Matt Bonner, Antonio McDyess and Theo Ratliff have sat out one apiece.
Pop loves Finley, here is another evidence.

tp2021
10-15-2009, 10:33 PM
More like evidence that Fin is old and already knows the system.

exstatic
10-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I sense a cut in the force....

loveforthegame
10-15-2009, 11:22 PM
My only concern about the game against Cleveland is that they don't spread the flu to all our guys.

Riverwalkman
10-15-2009, 11:36 PM
My only concern about the game against Cleveland is that they don't spread the flu to all our guys.
:lmao That's a problem...

alchemist
10-15-2009, 11:45 PM
:hungry: 12 more days

buttsR4rebounding
10-16-2009, 12:46 AM

My only concern is the guitar case at the end of the Cleveland bench...

bigdog
10-16-2009, 12:55 AM
My only concern is that the Spurs win a championship.

EricB
10-16-2009, 01:05 AM

That he sat him out of a game?

Yeah, totally makes sense...

Baseline
10-16-2009, 01:30 AM

If Pop held Finley out of 2 pre-season games, I can only hope he'll hold him out of 82 more when they count.

lennyalderette
10-16-2009, 01:44 AM
i wouldnt be worried by the cavs swine flu, i would be more concerned w/ delontes herpes breakout!! or if he took his lithium! "herpes is for life man"

kace
10-16-2009, 02:41 AM
If Pop held Finley out of 2 pre-season games, I can only hope he'll hold him out of 82 more when they count.

i can't wait for the RS when all Spurtalk will be kissing Fin's ass for the good quality minutes he will give to this team.

The Fin' bashing has became so annoying here. it's not even funny.

mountainballer
10-16-2009, 04:00 AM
My only concern is the guitar case at the end of the Cleveland bench...

:lol
leaves the question, wouldn't it be even more worrisome if in fact a guitar is inside and West decides to sing some homemade ballads?

Xevious
10-16-2009, 04:39 AM
The Fin' bashing has became so annoying here. it's not even funny.
He was definitely a liability in the starting lineup last season, but that won't be a problem anymore. He's a proven vet that will give you 10 ppg and big shots in the playoffs. A great player to have coming off the bench.

galvatron3000
10-16-2009, 06:52 AM
I'd like to keep Hairston at his point but I know the wing spot is crowded with Bogans, Mason, Hill, Finley, Jefferson, and Ginobili. I got the impression the Spurs were looking to keep Williams after hearing Buford this summer but Hairston is more valuable to me than Finley in some regards anyway. Can't wait to see the end results.

loveforthegame
10-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I do look forward to seeing what rotation Pop has in mind.

The Truth #6
10-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Monroe keeps mentioning that the 14th spot could be open. Is this credible? Or should I say - is he credible? Let's hope one of those contracts isn't guaranteed, like he intimates. If so, there will be a lot more flexibility in who actually makes the team.

SenorSpur
10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
i'd like to keep hairston at his point but i know the wing spot is crowded with bogans, mason, hill, finley, jefferson, and ginobili. I got the impression the spurs were looking to keep williams after hearing buford this summer but hairston is more valuable to me than finley in some regards anyway. Can't wait to see the end results.

+1

benefactor
10-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Monroe keeps mentioning that the 14th spot could be open. Is this credible? Or should I say - is he credible? Let's hope one of those contracts isn't guaranteed, like he intimates. If so, there will be a lot more flexibility in who actually makes the team.
I'm not sure why he keeps saying that. The Spurs currently have 14 guaranteed contracts.

lefty
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Boring article