PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Haislip happy to be back in NBA

duncan228
10-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Haislip happy to be back in NBA (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Haislip_happy_to_be_back_in_NBA.html)
Jeff McDonald

Spurs forward Marcus Haislip made a lifetime's worth of memories playing the past four seasons in Europe.

Not all of them were good.

There was the time in Turkey when some disorderly fans shot off flares in the middle of a game. He has been spat upon and pelted with coins from varying nations.

“One time, I saw a pocketknife fly on the floor,” Haislip recalled, shaking his head. “The fans over there are crazy.”

Through four preseason games back on U.S. soil, Haislip — a former first-round draft pick of the Milwaukee Bucks — has been reminded of one perk of playing in the NBA.

“They've actually got security here,” he said. “So that's great.”

Haislip's European escapade did more than simply prepare him for a perverse game of dodge-the-debris. To hear him tell it, it has prepared him for new life in the NBA.

After four seasons overseas — two in Turkey and two in Spain — Haislip has resurfaced with the Spurs, eager to pick up where he left off before being forced across the Atlantic.

The fighting spirit instilled in him in Europe will serve Haislip well in San Antonio, where his contract is guaranteed but playing time is not.

Perhaps the Spurs' best all-around athlete, the 6-foot-10 Haislip has averaged 4.3 points and 2.3 rebounds in 18.3 minutes throughout the team's preseason slate, which resumes tonight with a visit from LeBron James' Cleveland Cavaliers.

“For him, it's just a matter of learning the program a bit more, getting over some anxiety and feeling comfortable in the NBA,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “We've got a pretty deep team this year, and minutes are going to be hard to come by for some people. At this point, he's just trying to find his place.”

Indeed, the Spurs' frontcourt is logjammed, with veterans Antonio McDyess, Theo Ratliff and Matt Bonner and rookie DeJuan Blair clamoring for minutes behind and alongside Tim Duncan.

Even without an established spot in Popovich's rotation, Haislip, 28, is happy his search for a basketball home has returned him to this side of the globe.

The 13th overall pick in the 2002 draft, Haislip flamed out of the NBA after two seasons in Milwaukee and one in Indiana. By the end of his Pacers tenure, he was fastened to the end of the bench, discouraged, bored and labeled a bust.

“Just sitting back, watching and waiting — that's tough to do,” Haislip said. “I was ready to show the world I can still play.”

To do that, Haislip had to take his game to the world. He was a Turkish League All-Star in 2005-06 and 2006-07. By the time he completed his European adventure with Unicaja Málaga of the Spanish League, he had established himself as one of the top American players abroad.

In signing a free-agent deal with the Spurs in July, Haislip followed the path — from the NBA to Europe and back again — forged by scores of other pros, including Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr.

“I was able to play a lot and work on some things over there,” Haislip said. “I just got better. After that, I felt like I was ready to come back.”

Once primarily a dunk-first, ask-questions-later YouTube phenom, Haislip worked diligently overseas to add range to his jump shot. He also developed into a solid defender, the likes of which might come in handy against rangy power forwards such as Dirk Nowitzki.

“He seems to have learned the game a little more from the time he got drafted,” McDyess said.

Whether that will be enough to get Haislip on the floor remains to be seen.

Heading into his first NBA season in four years, Haislip is not concerned with the hows and the whys. He is just thankful his life of dodging spittle and coins is over.

“It's good to be back on U.S. soil,” Haislip said. “I'm just going to have to take advantage of this opportunity, and see what happens.”

Marcus Haislip

Position: Forward

Size: 6-foot-10, 230 pounds

College: Tennessee

NBA: Bucks made him 13th overall pick in 2002 ... Played 79 games with Bucks and Pacers before going to Europe in 2005 ... Signed with Spurs in July ... Averaging 4.3 points and 2.3 rebounds in preseason.

Europe: Played in Turkey with Ulker Istanbul and Efes Pilsen and with Spain’s Unicaja Málaga. Last year with Unicaja, he averaged 14.5 points and five rebounds while making 75 of 208 (36.1 percent) of his 3-point attempts and 82.4 percent of his free throws in 47 games.

Blackjack
10-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Once primarily a dunk-first, ask-questions-later YouTube phenom, Haislip worked diligently overseas to add range to his jump shot. He also developed into a solid defender, the likes of which might come in handy against rangy power forwards such as Dirk Nowitzki.

That may be the hope, and most certainly the reason he'd be taking up a roster spot, but it's far from a certainty.

Unless he can display the ability to defend the more mobile 4's and/or prove to be a very poor-man's Worthy running the floor to compliment Tony, there's nothing he really brings to the team that they don't already have in Bonner; assuming Matty isn't on his way out the door.

I'm just really underwhelmed with Haislip, at this point.

10-16-2009, 12:22 AM
i haven't seen haislip play yet so i'll reserve my judgment on him. his preseason stats seem pretty underachieving but i believe either haislip or mahinmi will need to give the spurs the final push over the top. spurs are still lacking the athletic bigman capable of defending perimeter/mobile 4's. haislip needs to hit those open 3's and play solid defense for the spurs to finally fill that mobile PF hole.

PURO SAN ANTO 210!
10-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Just hope he can bring out what he wus doing over sea's

phxspurfan
10-16-2009, 12:36 AM
I think he's going to be the first guy in pop's doghouse, unfortunately. I don't see both he and Bonner co-existing in a rotation, and Pop will trust his vet more than a journeyman.

montgod
10-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah... from Pop's comments, it sounds like Haislip has already made the team. He might be waiting for him to get more comfortable in the Spurs system to be more effective. And this year, Pop has the luxury of doing that since minutes will be scarce.

Parker2112
10-16-2009, 01:05 AM
You guys are missing the point. The guy was a near-lottery pick, the Spurs are no doubt looking at him as a project with ability who has yet to earn his NBA stripes, not some short term investment that will be cut if he can't produce by his second pre-season game! Not only that, but you've barely seen him play and we all know the Spurs system can be a confidence killer. Last, he can now learn from some of the best bigs in the business on the Spurs. Cut a guy some slack...if he can do a decent job against Dirk, that will be something we haven't had since SJax left...

Save your underwhelmed comments for 40+ games into the season. And stop trying to judge guys after summer league/pre-season games. George didn't look so good this time last year either.

Mel_13
10-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I think he's going to be the first guy in pop's doghouse, unfortunately. I don't see both he and Bonner co-existing in a rotation, and Pop will trust his vet more than a journeyman.

Bonner will play ahead of Haislip and it won't have anything to do with doghouses. Bonner is simply a much, much better basketball player.

If Haislip has Bruce Bowen's work ethic, perhaps he can develop into someone who can be useful as a defender on mobile PFs like Dirk. He is nowhere near that point now. Bonner is a better defender now.

No amount of work, however, will transform Haislip into an offensive player with skills that even come close to Bonner. Haislip may have been able to shoot an acceptable 3pt percentage in Europe, but the arc is more than 3 feet closer over there. He's not going to be an effective stretch PF over here.

As for his ball handling, let's just say he makes Bonner look like a PG. I've seen every minute of his playing time at home, including the open practice. I can recall several times that he put the pull on the floor starting near the free throw line. I can't recall a single drive which resulted in a shot attempt, let alone a shot made.

For the team's sake, I hope he develops into a useful player. I think it is much more likely, however, that Haislip spends the great majority of the season filling the role once played by Sean Marks.

Blackjack
10-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Save your underwhelmed comments for 40+ games into the season. And stop trying to judge guys after summer league/pre-season games. George didn't look so good this time last year either.

I'd rather not...

And There's absolutely no comparison to Hill.

Haislip is nearing 30, has never been noted for his defense, the biggest way in which he could help the Spurs, and he's nowhere near the polished offensive player Bonner is; much less as familiar and comfortable in the system.

Hill was someone I preached patience with and was a bit of a cheerleader for, even during his SL shooting woes.

Unlike Haislip, George not only had the tools, but he had the right mentality and want-to, at the right age, to see that he was going to be a player.

Bonner will play ahead of Haislip and it won't have anything to do with doghouses. Bonner is simply a much, much better basketball player.

If Haislip has Bruce Bowen's work ethic, perhaps he can develop into someone who can be useful as a defender on mobile PFs like Dirk. He is nowhere near that point now. Bonner is a better defender now.

No amount of work, however, will transform Haislip into an offensive player with skills that even come close to Bonner. Haislip may have been able to shoot an acceptable 3pt percentage in Europe, but the arc is more than 3 feet closer over there. He's not going to be an effective stretch PF over here.

As for his ball handling, let's just say he makes Bonner look like a PG. I've seen every minute of his playing time at home, including the open practice. I can recall several times that he put the pull on the floor starting near the free throw line. I can't recall a single drive which resulted in a shot attempt, let alone a shot made.

For the team's sake, I hope he develops into a useful player. I think it is much more likely, however, that Haislip spends the great majority of the season filling the role once played by Sean Marks.

Nice post.:tu

At this point, I'm expecting nothing and hoping to be surprised.

If he can help out in a series, a game, or a crucial possession..

I'll be ecstatic.

Spursfan 87
10-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Almost nobody has even seen this guy play yet, and they already want him cut base on a box score. The guy is not only adapting to the spurs system, his also adapting to the nba again. Cut him some slack, the spurs have a plan for him, they want him to become a player that is going to be able to guard mobile 4's like dirk and odom. We dont have a player that can guard those types of players and we need a player like that to be able to beat the lakers. You cant make an evaluation of a player base on a box score. We need to see him play first.

HarlemHeat37
10-16-2009, 09:14 AM
First of all, can people stop mentioning Odom?..we've never had a problem guarding him in the past, and he isn't worth having an actual assignment to guard him..his worth to the Lakers is rebounding and defense..he doesn't create his own offense..he couldn't even beat Oberto off the dribble in the playoff series a few years ago, and Fab is as slow as they come..

The sad part about Mel's post is that it's pretty much 100% correct..I'm not simply basing it on the box score, I'm also basing it on the games we've seen so far, including the scrimmage..I'm pretty sure the hope was that Haislip would be able to play a little at the 3, but there's no way he'll be able to with his ball-handling..watching him actually play so far, he's been very underwhelming..he's made Bonner look like David Robinson defensively..

Ian has been shaking the rust off from a serious injury, and he's A LOT younger..like Haislip, he's adapting to the rules of the NBA again..with that being said, he has shown a lot more than Haislip has so far, on both ends of the floor..Ian is our athletic big..even if he hasn't played great, he's definitely shown a lot more than Haislip so far..

galvatron3000
10-16-2009, 09:30 AM
That may be the hope, and most certainly the reason he'd be taking up a roster spot, but it's far from a certainty.

Unless he can display the ability to defend the more mobile 4's and/or prove to be a very poor-man's Worthy running the floor to compliment Tony, there's nothing he really brings to the team that they don't already have in Bonner; assuming Matty isn't on his way out the door.

A more atheletic Bonne versus the original log take the 1st. I'd rather have some athleticism and move Bonner out. Don't get me wrong Bonner knows the system but obviously the Spurs could use something a bit more mobile or another position piece via Bonner trade, or even a pick. Just me. I've seen enough of Bonner for the Spurs and it just doesn't fit well to me even comng off th bnch though he'd be far more useful there, I'd still take Haislip in that role.

The Truth #6
10-16-2009, 09:35 AM
People keep mentioning Haislip for defense, but any reason why Ian wouldn't be the more logical choice to guard the "Odoms and Nowitzkis" of the Western Conference? He's athletic, mobile, and has some dedication to defense.

The challenge for Haislip is to stay motivated and continue to learn while he sits on the bench. Deja vu all over again.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-16-2009, 09:36 AM
A more atheletic Bonne versus the original log take the 1st. I'd rather have some athleticism and move Bonner out. Don't get me wrong Bonner knows the system but obviously the Spurs could use something a bit more mobile or another position piece via Bonner trade, or even a pick. Just me. I've seen enough of Bonner for the Spurs and it just doesn't fit well to me even comng off th bnch though he'd be far more useful there, I'd still take Haislip in that role.

On what evidence do you take Haislip over Bonner? Because he's more athletic? Anything else? Do you take James White (!) over Manu as well?

in2deep
10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
why can't he play SF?? he could get plenty minutes there

seems like he got range n is agile

TimDunkem
10-16-2009, 01:55 PM

It's unfortunate because Haislip has all the tools. For example during the Houston game; Haislip was defending Scola and was keeping up with him really well until Scola threw a fake that threw Haislip a few feet away. It seems as though he's forgetting all the little things.

EricB
10-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't give up on Haislip just yet.

In the film I've seen of him he's a small forward in a big man's body, and IMO thats what you'll need when you go small ball.

He's another piece. Let him learn the game and system some more on the bench and let Bonner get the burn. Bonner has done nothing to not warrant 10 to 15 a night during the season.

galvatron3000
10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
On what evidence do you take Haislip over Bonner? Because he's more athletic? Anything else? Do you take James White (!) over Manu as well?

The argument has been Bonner and Haislip are basically the same except Haislip is more atheletic. Now based on the arguement made "BY OTHERS" then I say keep Haislip. Also, based on what I have seen with Bonner over the past year, I say keep Haislip. My evidence is I would prefer someone who is capable of given what Bonner gives who is more atheletic, probably cheaper too.

It's not so much as evidence as personal opinion clearly explained from that perspective. You have the right to disagree but if you disagree, do so respectfully, if you do so disrespectfully then bring support to back up any claim.

To my knowledge, no one has compared White to Ginobili so that argument is way over my head...:lmao

How's that homie? :toast

Mel_13
10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
The argument has been Bonner and Haislip are basically the same except Haislip is more atheletic. Now based on the arguement made "BY OTHERS" then I say keep Haislip. Also, based on what I have seen with Bonner over the past year, I say keep Haislip. My evidence is I would prefer someone who is capable of given what Bonner gives who is more atheletic, probably cheaper too.

If that were true, I would agree that it makes sense to keep the cheaper, more athletic version. The problem is that it is not true.

Bonner is a much, much better shooter. Bonner is a better defender and rebounder. He is also a better passer and ball handler. He is also the same age as Haislip, so the argument that one could make,for example, to prefer Hairston over Bogans does not hold water in this case.

In short, Bonner has a set of basketball skills that have kept him in the NBA for six years and will likely keep him employed with an NBA club for years to come. Haislip is a lottery pick that flamed out of the NBA and has performed well enough at a lower level to get another chance. I wish him all the luck in the world, especially since he plays for the Spurs. Based on their careers to date, as well as what we have seen so far, it seems extremely unlikely to me that Haislip will take minutes from Bonner this season.

pad300
10-19-2009, 05:40 PM
The answer to all they Why Not Take Bonner Instead of Haislip is bleeding obvious people. It's not that Haislip is a known, it's what Bonner is known not to have.

on 4.6 FGA/G in 20 MPG

5 Games against Dallas

08/09 playoffs

A spread the floor PF is worthless if he can't spread the floor when it counts!! And 2/3 of those FG's were open...

Bonner does not have the balls to play playoff basketball. Bonner is therefore valueless to SA.

Haislip may or may not have balls. We don't know right now. What we do know is that Bonner doesn't... An unknown who might be able to play in the playoffs >>> than someone we know can't.

HarlemHeat37
10-19-2009, 05:44 PM
You don't know how Bonner is going to react to playing against bench players..it's an entirely different game when you don't have to play and defend against top-tier big men in the NBA, instead going against their bench players..the pressure that comes with being a starter is a lot different than being a bench guy, which is what Bonner will be by the time the playoffs come around..

Haislip has simply looked horrible so far..his defense has been significantly worse than Bonner's, to the point where he's getting torched by Rod(Rob?) Kurz..his handles have been significantly worse than Bonner's..he hasn't been able to make shots at all..I don't know what he can even potentially have over Bonner other than dunking..

having balls is nice and all, but it doesn't help when you don't have talent..

xellos88330
10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
I am rooting for this guy.

ElNono
10-19-2009, 06:57 PM
You don't know how Bonner is going to react to playing against bench players..it's an entirely different game when you don't have to play and defend against top-tier big men in the NBA, instead going against their bench players..the pressure that comes with being a starter is a lot different than being a bench guy, which is what Bonner will be by the time the playoffs come around..

Do you have any quotes from Pop actually backing up this? You know, that Bonner will be a bench player, etc etc... Or you're just merely speculating?

ivanfromwestwood
10-19-2009, 09:00 PM
send his ass to the toros after the first 20 games so he can learn the system and play. plug him in next year next to splitter when bonner is no longer here.

Mel_13
10-19-2009, 09:20 PM
send his ass to the toros after the first 20 games so he can learn the system and play. plug him in next year next to splitter when bonner is no longer here.

Haislip can't be assigned to the Toros, not allowed under the CBA. It wouldn't help anyway. Haislip has been a pro for 7 years. If he can't learn the system from the Spurs coaches and vets, it is not going to help to send him to play in a league that is well below the Spanish league he came from.

CGD
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm probably the only person on ST that hasn't given up on Bonner...

People forget that the guy is a specialist. Last season he was asked to expand his game in other areas beyond his comfort zone on account of the decline of Fab and Kurt.

ss1986v2
10-19-2009, 09:57 PM
A spread the floor PF is worthless if he can't spread the floor when it counts!! And 2/3 of those FG's were open...

Bonner does not have the balls to play playoff basketball. Bonner is therefore valueless to SA.

Haislip may or may not have balls. We don't know right now. What we do know is that Bonner doesn't... An unknown who might be able to play in the playoffs >>> than someone we know can't.

couldnt you have said the same about hedo? and im not calling out the FO for letting hedo walk (i agreed) or gushing over bonner (i hope hes not a vital piece come the post season). im just pointing out that one post season performance does not a career make.