PDA

View Full Version : Interracial couple denied marriage license in La.

BacktoBasics
10-16-2009, 08:12 AM
I know bigotry is widely accepted in society but I hope he doesn't just get off with a slap on the wrist.

NEW ORLEANS – A white Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with blacks and whites, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

If he did an interracial marriage for one couple, he must do the same for all, he said.

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

Bardwell estimates that he has refused to marry about four couples during his career, all in the past 2 1/2 years.

Beth Humphrey, 30, and 32-year-old Terence McKay, both of Hammond, say they will consult the U.S. Justice Department about filing a discrimination complaint.

Humphrey, an account manager for a marketing firm, said she and McKay, a welder, just returned to Louisiana. She is white and he is black. She plans to enroll in the University of New Orleans to pursue a masters degree in minority politics.

"That was one thing that made this so unbelievable," she said. "It's not something you expect in this day and age."

Humphrey said she called Bardwell on Oct. 6 to inquire about getting a marriage license signed. She says Bardwell's wife told her that Bardwell will not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples. Bardwell suggested the couple go to another justice of the peace in the parish who agreed to marry them.

"We are looking forward to having children," Humphrey said. "And all our friends and co-workers have been very supportive. Except for this, we're typical happy newlyweds."

"It is really astonishing and disappointing to see this come up in 2009," said American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana attorney Katie Schwartzmann. She said the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 "that the government cannot tell people who they can and cannot marry."

The ACLU sent a letter to the Louisiana Judiciary Committee, which oversees the state justices of the peace, asking them to investigate Bardwell and recommending "the most severe sanctions available, because such blatant bigotry poses a substantial threat of serious harm to the administration of justice."

"He knew he was breaking the law, but continued to do it," Schwartzmann said.

According to the clerk of court's office, application for a marriage license must be made three days before the ceremony because there is a 72-hour waiting period. The applicants are asked if they have previously been married. If so, they must show how the marriage ended, such as divorce.

Other than that, all they need is a birth certificate and Social Security card.

The license fee is $35, and the license must be signed by a Louisiana minister, justice of the peace or judge. The original is returned to the clerk's office.

"I've been a justice of the peace for 34 years and I don't think I've mistreated anybody," Bardwell said. "I've made some mistakes, but you have too. I didn't tell this couple they couldn't get married. I just told them I wouldn't do it."

Dr. Gonzo
10-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Bigotry based on race is just plain wrong. If it was bigotry based on sexual orientation then it would be okay and they guy should get a medal.

desflood
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way,"
Think I first heard this quote about 25 years ago and still don't really comprehend it.

BacktoBasics
10-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Think I first heard this quote about 25 years ago and still don't really comprehend it.This guys full of common sense

"I try to treat everyone equally," he said.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Big f'n deal just go to someone else. Why turn this into a big ass ordeal? It's not like we don't already know that people are idiots.

BacktoBasics
10-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Big f'n deal just go to someone else. Why turn this into a big ass ordeal? It's not like we don't already know that people are idiots.There are millions upon millions of situations that I could easily sit back and say "stupid, who cares, just move along". This isn't one of them. This guy deserves a shitstorm of fucking hell rained down. This kind of bigotry is a big fucking deal. Huge deal.

mrsmaalox
10-16-2009, 09:46 AM
This old guy demonstrates the need for further mixing of the gene pool.

The Franchise
10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
That motherfucker said he had piles and piles of black friends!! WTF!?:lmao :rollin

resistanze
10-16-2009, 10:17 AM
That motherfuckers said he had piles and piles of black friends!! WTF!?:lmao :rollin

:lol I LOL'd at that.

I think what makes what he's saying so racist is that he actually believes he's doing the couple a favor.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I believe that he does have "piles and piles of black friends". He probably has them buried in piles somewhere on his property.

I really don't give a shit though. To me it's a small fucking deal. Tiny deal.

BacktoBasics
10-16-2009, 10:47 AM
I believe that he does have "piles and piles of black friends". He probably has them buried in piles somewhere on his property.

I have a hard time understanding how you can just sweep this under the rug. He denied them their free rights under the premise of bigotry. Pretty big deal.

lebomb
10-16-2009, 10:53 AM
What this dumbass doesn't realize, is that he is probably mixed himself. Back in the day massah used to hit up the slave houses and tap that fat black ass on them sistahs when the big mandingo bucks were sent into the fields. Massah thought he was getting away with murder, but little did he know that mandingo was up at his plantation home at the same time drillin Mrs. Daisy. Hell, just look at all the folks in Louisiana...........they are all mutts............... creole and such.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-16-2009, 11:10 AM
The good news for all of you is that stupid shit like this is precisely why my dad decided he wanted nothing to do with the state of Louisiana and moved as soon as he could. If he'd stuck around Baton Rouge I might be posting on Hornets Talk instead.

I am saddened and angered by this news, but not exactly shocked. If his reasoniing completely in the interests of the children, would he marry them if they could prove the guy was shooting blanks? There's more to marriage than just having kids.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 11:13 AM
I mean who cares really? All people have to do is stop throwing business his way. When they go looking for a JP and his name comes up they can just refuse him. Big f'n deal!

BacktoBasics
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I mean who cares really? All people have to do is stop throwing business his way. When they go looking for a JP and his name comes up they can just refuse him. Big f'n deal!I consider it a crime. Its like saying "don't mind that guy who stabs people, just don't walk down his street".

Letting people get away with this kind of behavior doesn't accomplish anything.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Everyone has their prejudices. If I went there to get married and he told me he wouldn't do it because of whatever I would just be like fine eff you bitch and move on. It's really not that complicated.

BacktoBasics
10-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Everyone has their prejudices. If I went there to get married and he told me he wouldn't do it because of whatever I would just be like fine eff you bitch and move on. It's really not that complicated.If he would have told me that I would have probably hit him.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I'd buy this guy a beer for standing up for what he believed. I mean everyone is so chickenshit of what others think and they just go with what others tell them is right. This dude said f that I don't want to see any mullattos running around because then I know that more than likely the father split.

resistanze
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Everyone has their prejudices. If I went there to get married and he told me he wouldn't do it because of whatever I would just be like fine eff you bitch and move on. It's really not that complicated.

No offense, but if that's your response, then a scenario such as the one presented above A) will never happen to you so you don't care or B) you're allowing yourself to be a walking doormat.

People back in the day were told they couldn't go to the same schools, restaurants because of their skin color. Would your response be "just find another school"?

The judge should have his ass whupped.

resistanze
10-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd buy this guy a beer for standing up for what he believed. I mean everyone is so chickenshit of what others think and they just go with what others tell them is right. This dude said f that I don't want to see any mullattos running around because then I know that more than likely the father split.

Good for him. But his racist beliefs shouldn't stop a couple from getting married. This isn't an example of free speech or anything.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
No offense, but if that's your response, then a scenario such as the one presented above A) will never happen to you so you don't care or B) you're allowing yourself to be a walking doormat.

People back in the day were told they couldn't go to the same schools, restaurants because of their skin color. Would your response be "just find another school"?

The judge should have his ass whupped.

We aren't "back in the day" We are living now where there are options. I am not white either so you can't pull that card out on me.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Good for him. But his racist beliefs shouldn't stop a couple from getting married. This isn't an example of free speech or anything.

His beliefs didn't have to stop them. I'll put down a hundred bucks that he isn't the only JP in their area.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 11:33 AM
If he would have told me that I would have probably hit him.
This. I would have knocked the dude the fuck out. That's absolutely ridiculous. Fuckin bigot.

Trainwreck2100
10-16-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm gonna lol if this couple gets divorced, just like the first lesbian couple to get married got divorced.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 11:44 AM
This. I would have knocked the dude the fuck out. That's absolutely ridiculous. Fuckin bigot.

Knocked him out for what? Not believing like you do? Why wouldn't you just flip the bird and go to another JP? Sounds kind of stupid that you would hit someone just because he doesn't see things the way you do.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 11:45 AM
i'm gonna lol if this couple gets divorced, just like the first lesbian couple to get married got divorced.

+1

BacktoBasics
10-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Knocked him out for what? Not believing like you do? Why wouldn't you just flip the bird and go to another JP? Sounds kind of stupid that you would hit someone just because he doesn't see things the way you do.
Knocked him out for denying me my lawful rights because he's a racist. He wants to have an opinion fine, go have one on your own time. Shouldn't get in the way of my lawful rights.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Knocked him out for denying me my lawful rights because he's a racist. He wants to have an opinion fine, go have one on your own time. Shouldn't get in the way of my lawful rights.

+1. As a JOP he's an officer of the law, not his beliefs.

-1 on the issue of judge punching.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Because if I want to marry a woman who's not my race, that's my right, whether he agrees or not. He doesn't have the right to deny me that. It's not about seeing things the way I do..it's about that guy and his wife going to pick up their marriage license, and some bigot feeling like he is above the law. Truth is, he probably made the wife cry, and that would be enough for me. If you went there with your wife, and she was not your race, and this bigot told you he wasn't going to let you get your license because he didn't want you two getting married and having children, and it made your wife cry, you'd knock him the fuck out too. And if you wouldn't, you're not a fucking man.

sonic21
10-16-2009, 11:53 AM
I thought Obama fixed this ...dang.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 11:53 AM
-1 on the issue of judge punching.
Give me my -1 then...because if it was me, and my wife was black, and he said something like that in front of her, I'd do it in a second.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I thought Obama fixed this ...dang.
Bg98BvqUvCc

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
lol I. Hustle saying in the same thread in the political forum that he'd knock the guy out, and saying he'd just go to another JP in this one...lmao

http://smartleah.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/haveana-flipflop-gold.jpg

sonic21
10-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Dude should be fired. He broke the law, and is showing no repentance. Guy admitted it to a reporter. Should be an open and shut case.

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Because if I want to marry a woman who's not my race, that's my right, whether he agrees or not. He doesn't have the right to deny me that. It's not about seeing things the way I do..it's about that guy and his wife going to pick up their marriage license, and some bigot feeling like he is above the law. Truth is, he probably made the wife cry, and that would be enough for me. If you went there with your wife, and she was not your race, and this bigot told you he wasn't going to let you get your license because he didn't want you two getting married and having children, and it made your wife cry, you'd knock him the fuck out too. And if you wouldn't, you're not a fucking man.

You can't be serious right? You think it only happens in rural Louisiana? I mean people get denied everywhere because they are black, white, brown, gay, straight, etc. This is not an isolated incident and not half as shocking as you two are making it out to be.

coyotes_geek
10-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Give me my -1 then...because if it was me, and my wife was black, and he said something like that in front of her, I'd do it in a second.

Just a hunch, but I'm thinking that assaulting a J.P. in Louisiana, even an ignorant one, isn't something that's going to work out in your favor.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:06 PM
You can't be serious right? You think it only happens in rural Louisiana? I mean people get denied everywhere because they are black, white, brown, gay, straight, etc. This is not an isolated incident and not half as shocking as you two are making it out to be.

The bigot needs to be fired...period...but seriously.

http://wps.theoffside.com/files/2009/07/what-the-fuck-cat.jpg

My thoughts exactly. There is no way that we should be ok with this as a society and just live with it. This is not something that should just be swept under the rug.

If I was going there to get married and he told me this I would have knoed him the fukk out.

These are your quotes in the political forum in the same thread..Dude...are you schizophrenic? The fuck is wrong with you?

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Just a hunch, but I'm thinking that assaulting a J.P. in Louisiana, even an ignorant one, isn't something that's going to work out in your favor.
probably not...just saying...unfortunately that probably would have been my reaction.

angel_luv
10-16-2009, 12:07 PM
If I were there in Louisiana, I would organize an event in which all engaged interracial couples in the area willing to elope would go together to that JP in order to get their marriage certificates and get married by him once the three days had passed.
I would make sure all the local news stations knew about it so they could cover the proceedings.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:08 PM
If I were there in Louisiana, I would organize a day on which all engaged interracial couples in the area willing to elope go down together and apply to that JP.
I would make sure all the local news stations knew about it so they could cover the proceedings.
That would be priceless.

coyotes_geek
10-16-2009, 12:09 PM
probably not...just saying...unfortunately that probably would have been my reaction.

Fair enough. No argument here though that the guy deserves a punch in the face.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Fair enough. No argument here though that the guy deserves a punch in the face.
:toast

I. Hustle
10-16-2009, 12:10 PM
These are your quotes in the political forum in the same thread..Dude...are you schizophrenic? The fuck is wrong with you?

Thanks for catching my typo. Knocked is spelled wrong. I will be right black.

angel_luv
10-16-2009, 12:10 PM
If I were there in Louisiana, I would organize an event in which all engaged interracial couples in the area willing to elope would go together to that JP in order to get their marriage certificates and get married by him once the three days had passed.

You could make a week long event out of it- get local vendors to donate items to the couple... wedding cakes, flowers, new outfits.

Great publicity and business for the city.

I would hate to be the judge who ruined everyone's enterprise and fun.

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
You could make a week long event out of it- get local vendors to donate items to the couple... wedding cakes, flowers, new outfits.

Great publicity and business for the city.

I would hate to be the judge who ruined everyone's enterprise and fun.
:lmao:lmao

I love it

angel_luv
10-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Ooh and someone could set up a pay pal account so people like us who want to make a statement can contribute to say pay for the couples' wedding certificates.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-16-2009, 12:16 PM
You should see if you can get Oreo to sponsor the event.

PM5K
10-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Oh shit, Angel just typed something actually worth reading.

Is it raining today?

(But learn to stop while you're ahead honey)

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:18 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu267/princess_kell/omg.jpg

PM5K
10-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Rim Shot!

JamStone
10-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I lived in New Orleans for 3 years and this doesn't surprise me at all. Even in New Orleans, which is a little less country backwards than most of the rest of the state, the racial divide is clear and convincing. Segregation is not law but race and class separation is quite undeniable.

And while I think it's an abhorrent opinion, oddly enough I understand it. Not that he isn't a bigot or racist, he obviously is. But, his opinion does have some merit particularly in Louisiana. It's not the same down there as the rest of the country. Mixed couples would catch an extreme amount of heat. Mixed children would get disgusting (often including violent) treatment not only from other kids but from adults.

It's a bassackwards country, Louisiana. People who have lived down there understand the mentality. Does it make it right what the justice did? Hell no. Does it need to change? Absolutely. But, for me personally, I understand where the justice is coming from.

PM5K
10-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I heard Oreo was going to sponsor the event, but Golden Oreos is paying for his attorney's, so it all balances itself out:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1305/1181271331_abb230a4ac.jpg?v=0

PM5K
10-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I wonder if it's like down here, there are virtually no qualifications for being a JP except that you get elected.

coyotes_geek
10-16-2009, 12:25 PM
"I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Just out of curiosity, what's the quota for number of black friends you need so that you can act like a bigot without actually being one?

Also, do you get bonus points for letting "them" use the master bathroom instead of the half bath?

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's the quota for number of black friends you need so that you can act like a bigot without actually being one?

Also, do you get bonus points for letting them use the master bathroom instead of the half bath?
lol..I'm gonna go with the old saying. If you know how many black friends you have, you're probably racist...

desflood
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
HAH! I knew that even the Angel had a little devil in her somewhere.

I feel oddly vindicated.

Bukefal
10-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Who the F*ck is he to decide for other people. If he thinks that way, fine, but do not think for others. Its his job, he should do it and not bitch, if not, he should quit

CuckingFunt
10-16-2009, 02:46 PM

Six.

lol..I'm gonna go with the old saying. If you know how many black friends you have, you're probably racist...

Unless you're black.

The Franchise
10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I think this is grounds for termination, am I right?

Spursfan092120
10-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Unless you're black.
touchee...though I have seen some black guys that hate black people...pretty fucked up.

ShoogarBear
10-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Book it . . . this guy will be a Louisiana Congressman one day.

dickface
10-16-2009, 11:08 PM
What this dumbass doesn't realize, is that he is probably mixed himself. Back in the day massah used to hit up the slave houses and tap that fat black ass on them sistahs when the big mandingo bucks were sent into the fields. Massah thought he was getting away with murder, but little did he know that mandingo was up at his plantation home at the same time drillin Mrs. Daisy. Hell, just look at all the folks in Louisiana...........they are all mutts............... creole and such.

kXjcf47y-zk

braeden0613
10-16-2009, 11:42 PM
touchee...though I have seen some black guys that hate black people...pretty fucked up.
besides Clayton Bigsby?

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Los Angeles is full of racists. I'm not a bit surprised.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-17-2009, 03:18 AM
Book it . . . this guy will be a Louisiana Congressman one day.

I think he'll make it to even higher ranks in Louisiana politics, maybe even all the way to Grand Wizard.

exstatic
10-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Big f'n deal just go to someone else. Why turn this into a big ass ordeal? It's not like we don't already know that people are idiots.

I mean who cares really? All people have to do is stop throwing business his way. When they go looking for a JP and his name comes up they can just refuse him. Big f'n deal!

Pixelpusher pretty much drove a stake through the Political forum thread for this with the following:

http://www400.sos.louisiana.gov/elec...mis/ss-408.pdf

STATE OF LOUISIANA, PARISH OF _____________________________
I, ______(Print or Type Name) ______ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the constitution and laws of the United States and the constitution and laws of this state and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent on me as: ___(Title of Office) ___ according to the best of my ability and understanding, so help me God.

Nowhere in there does it say anything about "When I feel like it or agree to it".

JoeChalupa
10-17-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm glad I didn't have to worry about crap like that.

MannyIsGod
10-17-2009, 11:45 AM
People realize there is no "someone else". When you're a JP you're not an individual, you're the government of Louisiana. As a representative of that government he's not an individual and he knew this going in.

Mavs_man_41
10-17-2009, 12:21 PM
As a guy who's girlfriend is mixed, this pisses me the fuck off

Cheese
10-17-2009, 01:22 PM
America in general has about 50 % divorce rate, so he shouldn't marry any couples..On a serious tip,what I can’t stand is that he’s trying to cover it up with this bullshit reason.

Like he really cares about a mixed child's life and how people except them. If your racist just have balls to the say the shit.

angel_luv
10-17-2009, 02:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091016/ap_on_re_us/us_interracial_rebuff

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Think I first heard this quote about 25 years ago and still don't really comprehend it.

There's nothing to comprehend, it'd be like saying, "I don't have hydrophobia, I'm just really scared of water."

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-17-2009, 02:37 PM
And this is just the latest example added to the long list of why the world would be better off without the South.