PDA

View Full Version : ACORN Starts to Feel Funding Freeze

ashbeeigh
10-16-2009, 09:42 AM
So if this is true...I may need y'alls help with another job hunt. But fingers crossed and prayers answered that things end up okay. Things are still intact in many cities. Philadelphia is just the focus of the article.

ACORN Starts To Feel Funding Freeze

by Pam Fessler

Enlarge Pam Fessler/NPR

Housing counselors at ACORN Housing's North Philadelphia office have to refer clients to attorneys for legal help because the group isn't providing that service as long as its funding is frozen.
ACORN Housing's North Philadelphia office
Pam Fessler/NPR

Housing counselors at ACORN Housing's North Philadelphia office have to refer clients to attorneys for legal help because the group isn't providing that service as long as its funding is frozen.
text sizeAAA
October 16, 2009

Federal funding has been temporarily stopped for the community group ACORN and its affiliates, and some people worry that worthwhile programs could be affected.

The move comes after a scandal involving videotapes showing ACORN workers telling a couple posing as a pimp and prostitute how to evade the law.

In the undercover videos, ACORN workers throughout the country dished out some very sketchy advice. But in ACORN Housing's North Philadelphia office, the scene is a million miles from the one seen in the videos, which were made by a conservative activist. ACORN Housing Corporation, an ACORN spin-off, offers free housing counseling to low- and moderate-income homebuyers.

What you see here instead are several young women with yellow case files piled high on their desks trying to help poor people save their homes.

Housing counselor Lianna Crosby talks with client Shawn Drayton about an upcoming mediation session at the city court. He's trying to avoid losing his grandfather's house to a bad mortgage deal. But Crosby says there's been a last-minute change. She has to refer him to a different attorney for legal help because ACORN Housing won't be able to provide that service as long as its funding is frozen. Congress has blocked, at least until the end of this month, most of the money ACORN Housing relies upon to do its work

Some lawmakers say they want to make the cutoff permanent.

The housing group is a major recipient of grants from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. It also received almost $24 million over the past two years for a foreclosure mitigation counseling program created by Congress.

'I Just Couldn't Afford It'

Bruce Dorpalen oversees counseling at ACORN Housing offices around the country.

"We have a little bit of resources to keep going, but if this can't get resolved in a decent way, we would have to lay off staff, not be able to serve clients," Dorpalen says.

Clients such as Fred Butler, a retiree, who came here for some free help, could be affected.

Butler admits he made a big mistake when he got a balloon mortgage payment on his Philadelphia home.

"I just couldn't afford it. And it was just too much," Butler says.

But when he tried to pull out of the deal during a three-day grace period, his mortgage broker was nowhere to be found. ACORN Housing has worked with the lender to negotiate a more palatable deal that will keep Butler in his home.

ACORN's critics say the organization has misused federal funds and have called for multiple investigations. But neither HUD nor NeighborWorks America, a nonprofit that administers the foreclosure counseling grants, have reported any problems with ACORN Housing.

"They've been one of the highest performing organizations so in that regard we have not had any concerns about their performance under this program," says Ken Wade, CEO of NeighborWorks America. "But like everyone else, we were concerned with the videos we saw on television."

He says NeighborWorks is reviewing its contract with ACORN Housing to make sure none of the terms have been violated. Wade adds that if the funding cuts become permanent, it will be a challenge finding other groups to take over the thousands of foreclosure cases now being handled by ACORN Housing.

whole article (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=113809460)

jack sommerset
10-16-2009, 09:49 AM
You need to get a new job because ACORN sucks ass. There is no way you can feel good about your job knowing they are corrupt as hell.

clambake
10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
maybe you could transfer to the prostitution division.

ashbeeigh
10-16-2009, 10:04 AM

indeed. That is a good idea. :rolleyes

clambake
10-16-2009, 10:06 AM
just kidding.

you should always be hunting for employment.

DarrinS
10-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Maybe you should get a job for an organization whose president can pronounce the word "ask".

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I just want to know why nothing has been done to free those sex slaves from their conservative filmmaker pimp.

DarrinS
10-16-2009, 01:39 PM
I just want to know why nothing has been done to free those sex slaves from their conservative filmmaker pimp.

Ever seen prostitution stings on shows like Cops? Those potential johns go to jail.

Even though the undercover cop is not a real prostitute.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Are you trying to say there were not really sex slaves?

boutons_deux
10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Acorn's real sin was getting black and other poor people to vote (Dem).

Poor people voting REALLY pisses off the Repugs and conservatives.

DarrinS
10-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Are you trying to say there were not really sex slaves?

No one says there were. But those ACORN employees didn't even blink.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
No one says there were.Yes, many on this board say there were.
But those ACORN employees didn't even blink.So what charges have been brought against them?

DarrinS
10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Acorn's real sin was getting black and other poor people to vote (Dem).

Poor people voting REALLY pisses off the Repugs and conservatives.

Democrat policies do SO MUCH to help poor people.

DarrinS
10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
So what charges have been brought against them?

None. But they sure lost a lot of free money -- well, free to ACORN.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
None. But they sure lost a lot of free money -- well, free to ACORN.So ACORN lost money because no crime was committed.

spursncowboys
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Yes, many on this board say there were.So what charges have been brought against them?
The ACORN employees didn't know they weren't real.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 01:53 PM
The ACORN employees didn't know they weren't real.So what crime did they commit?

If the actions of employees regarding an imaginary crime are grounds to defund an organization, why would any Republican vote against the Franken amendment that deals with real crimes committed by employees of organizations receiving federal funds?

George Gervin's Afro
10-16-2009, 02:23 PM
who are the conservatives going to whine about now?

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
They are currently whining about Franken's being too tough on real rape.

DarrinS
10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
They are currently whining about Franken's being too tough on real rape.

LOL. Franken and tough in the same sentence.

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
LOL. Franken and tough in the same sentence.Tough enough to make them whine.

Do you support their support of rape?

DarrinS
10-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Tough enough to make them whine.

Do you support their support of rape?

Are you talking about Hollywood's support of Roman Polanski?

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Are you talking about Hollywood's support of Roman Polanski?I want Polanski to serve his time.

I'm asking whether you support the Republicans' support of rape.

Can't you answer that question?

DarrinS
10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
I want Polanski to serve his time.

I'm asking whether you support the Republicans' support of rape.

Can't you answer that question?

I don't support rape of any kind. Which Republicans support rape? Can you prove that? Or are you just lying?

ChumpDumper
10-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't support rape of any kind. Which Republicans support rape? Can you prove that? Or are you just lying?There is an entire thread about it. Look around.

Wild Cobra
10-16-2009, 09:30 PM
LOL. Franken and tough in the same sentence.
See why I ignore the bigoted troll?

PixelPusher
10-16-2009, 09:34 PM

Blackwater Corp. already has that covered.

Nbadan
10-17-2009, 02:46 PM
I heard a rumor ACORN may get its funding back fairly soon...let's hope that happens...