PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: The Bogans fallout

duncan228
10-16-2009, 12:42 PM
The Bogans fallout (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/in-defense-of-t.html)
By Jeff McDonald

On Sept. 23, the Spurs somewhat surprisingly signed veteran guard Keith Bogans to a guaranteed minimum contract, making him the last man in for training camp.

The rationale offered by general manager R.C. Buford at the time was simple: After the June trade for Richard Jefferson that sent Bruce Bowen to Milwaukee and then into retirement, the Spurs had a defensive void to fill on the perimeter. Bogans, the Spurs reasoned, might fill that void.

However, the Bogans signing came with one looming side effect: It almost certainly will render either Malik Hairston or Marcus Williams the odd man out.

Including Bogans, the Spurs have 14 players with guaranteed contracts. The Spurs could waive Bogans, who hasn't exactly set the world on fire this preseason, but probably won't.

That leaves Hairston and Williams -- the two players with deals not fully guaranteed -- in a battle royale for the final spot. One of them will more than likely become a free agent on or before Oct. 26, directly as a result of the Bogans signing. (We are not including point guard Curtis Jerrells in this discussion, because it is expected he will be waived prior to the roster deadline).

Both Williams and Hairston are probably good enough to play in the NBA right now. Waiving one of them would be a necessary evil.

As Peter Holt's summer spending spree suggests, the Spurs are in win-now mode. Bogans, a six-year veteran, has a better chance of contributing to a two-year plan than, say, Williams. If Bogans' defense on Kobe Bryant or Jason Terry helps swing a playoff series, he's more than earned his worth.

The Bogans' signing also created another curious side effect on the two young Spurs vying for the 15th spot. It has given the Spurs a chance to see how each performs under pressure. The minute Bogans autographed his conract, Hairston and Williams both knew the deal: It was mano-a-mano for a roster spot.

Hairston appears to have thrived under that challenge. He has made the most of his 18 minutes a game this preseason, and appears to have assumed command in the race for the 15th slot. Almost every decision he's made on the floor has been the right one.

Williams, meanwhile, has gone the opposite way. He appears to be pressing in order to play himself onto the team. As is often the case with players who try too hard to play themselves on the team, Williams might be playing his way off of it.

If Hairston does make the team, it could make Bogans redundant. Hairston possesses some of the defensive moxie his older counterpart has become renowned for, and has displayed this preseason a growing grasp of the NBA game. If he continues to blossom, it would not be surprising to see Hairston eventually become Gregg Popovich's defensive stopper designate.

However, Pop also favors veterans, players who have been through the NBA battles before, which is why it makes sense for him to hedge his bets with an old hand like Bogans.

all_heart
10-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Bogans been in NBA battles?! Which ones?

benefactor
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Someone is reading Spurstalk again.

crc21209
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Hairston >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Williams

Set the roster already...:tu

lennyalderette
10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
good article, i was thinking they would possibly drop bogans but when you think like the spurs f.o its alot safer to go with bogans and hairston, and have a no lose situation. maybe bogans is just nervous and hasnt felt comfortable yet.

lefty
10-16-2009, 12:52 PM
NBA 2K9 online

Mel_13
10-16-2009, 12:53 PM

Beat me to it

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/boganke01.html

Dex
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I still don't understand what Williams has done to prove his worth. He must be REALLY impressive behind the scenes or in practice, because I haven't really seen him show anything on the court that screams that he deserves the last spot.

Hairston, on the other hand, has played really well. Seems pretty unfair if he should lose the spot to Williams...considering they are supposed to be playing for it.

PDXSpursFan
10-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Hairston > Bogans > Williams.
We just need to cut Williams. What's the issue?

Mel_13
10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I still don't understand what Williams has done to prove his worth. He must be REALLY impressive behind the scenes or in practice, because I haven't really seen him show anything on the court that screams that he deserves the last spot.

Hairston, on the other hand, has played really well. Seems pretty unfair if he should lose the spot to Williams...considering they are supposed to be playing for it.

Last year when they cut Hairston and kept Farmer, I didn't like it but I understood the need for a shooter in Manu's absence.

This year, if they go with a 14 man roster, I won't like it but I will understand the financial considerations.

If they keep Williams and cut Hairston, however, I won't like it and I won't understand it.

SpurCharger
10-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Bye Bye Williams!

The Truth #6
10-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Bogans is a veteran yet Haislip is still raw with something to prove - this seems to be the conventional narrative. Yet, neither have really ever done anything and are close to the same age. They must really think Bogans is a Kobe stopper or something particular because his career has been fairly lackluster so far. It's crazy - if there is talk that the team might let him go, then why not just stick with Bruce for one more year at the minimum? It seems like some petty emotions got in the way of a sound basketball decision somewhere along the way.

Anyway...wonder if Jeff posts in here, he certainly reads now and then. And finally, an admission that the 14th spot is already fixed.

nkdlunch
10-16-2009, 01:16 PM
to waive Williams would suck

to waive Hairston would be really really fucking stupid

CGD
10-16-2009, 01:22 PM
The allure of Williams is that, in theory, he can play 3 positions. Malik has to overcome a variety of factors for the Spurs to justify keeping him: (1) the glut of sf/sg on the roster ahead of him; (2) Marcus's supposed competitive advantage, which is his "versatility"; and (3) a bad economy making teams question carrying 15 players.

This sucks because I think Malik has outclassed Marcus on the court. I really hope he sticks!

ceperez
10-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Bye Bye Williams!

Last game... a technical foul is called on the Clippers... who in the court takes the free throw?

Answer: Marcus Williams

Last game... 3 highlight reels in a row... who? Marcus Williams:
http://www.nba.com/video/games/spurs/2009/10/14/0010900061_lac_sas_recap.nba/index.html

Besides, Marcus Williams last year was signed and Hairston was then waived. The coaching staff's logic isn't about to change just because of a couple of pre-season games. I mean, why the hell would they sign Bogans... if not to find a Hairston replacement!

Not a good idea in my opinion, but it's crystal clear why Bogans is here. It's either Bogans or Hairston.

SPURS21
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
The possibility of any of these three players ever making a significant contribution is slim; very slim so who cares?

koriwhat
10-16-2009, 02:03 PM
hairston has impressed me since day 1 last yr. williams shines every once in a blue moon and from what i've seen first hand in preseason this year is that hairston is more deserving of the last roster spot.

with all that said, bogans hasn't done anything yet to be deserving of a roster spot.

PDXSpursFan
10-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Williams sucks period. Just cut his head now.

Spursfan 87
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Who the spurs can use this season?
a pretty good wing player who play tough defense and can surprise on offense or a 6-9 pg who has nice court vision but is going to get beat constantly by more physical and quicker pg.

superbigtime
10-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Bogans sucks. He looks slow and is undersized. Sucks to have him instead of Bruce. Would rather have signed Carlos Arroyo for backup backup PG insurance because I think Hairston can do everything Bogans can do better and then some (nice signing by Orlando for Nelson insurance). Hairston has impressed periodically. He's strong and quick. Williams hasn't looked awful, has had some nice passes. But I think he goes to the Toros again just so Bogans can gather dust.

EricB
10-16-2009, 02:34 PM
This is a debate akin to "do you want cancer or not."

Cut Williams already for the love of pete.

koriwhat
10-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Williams hasn't looked awful, has had some nice passes. But I think he goes to the Toros again just so Bogans can gather dust.

if he goes back to the toros doesnt the spurs lose all rights to him? that's my understanding at least.

EricB
10-16-2009, 02:37 PM
if he goes back to the toros doesnt the spurs lose all rights to him? that's my understanding at least.

Yes but whats to lose?

A tall point guard who can't shoot?

Whoopee.

Mel_13
10-16-2009, 02:39 PM

Once they cut Williams, they lose all rights.

If they keep Williams, they can no longer assign him to the Toros.

If Hairston is kept, he can be assigned to the Toros.

lefty
10-16-2009, 02:47 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05bt3Ybgqw6UB/340x.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/5156/20080512BogansFouled_JohnRaouxAP.jpg

http://onsanantoniotx.com/images/assets/0081/3762/Bogans_medium.jpg

superbigtime
10-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Sucks to lose Williams at expense of keeping Bogans, but neither of them are really going to contribute IMO. Bogans will have some opportunities just because Pop is going to feel more comfortable with an unathletic slow bald old guy (JV2) and give him the PT.

Spursfan 87
10-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Can anybody see Williams getting any playing time with this team?

EricB
10-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Can anybody see Williams getting any playing time with this team?

On the nights they play the Timberwolves or someone else of that ilk yes, but other than that, no.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-16-2009, 02:52 PM
If Bogans or Williams were to see significant action in real games I think the Spurs would be in trouble.

Williams hasn't shown me he's an NBA player. NBDL for sure. NBA...I don't think so. If Bogans can play stronger D for limited stretches of games and frustrate the opponent a little, then he's my pick for the last guy on the end of the bench.

Spursfan 87
10-16-2009, 02:56 PM
If Bogans or Williams were to see significant action in real games I think the Spurs would be in trouble.

:tu

dbestpro
10-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Once they cut Williams, they lose all rights.

If they keep Williams, they can no longer assign him to the Toros.

If Hairston is kept, he can be assigned to the Toros.

This is why Hairston will make the team, if he makes the team.
Williams and Jerrels will not make the team.

I think they wish they had not signed Bogans, now. But, they did so, I think they will go with the 15 players to start the season and place Malik in Austin. Malik will be the Bogans insurance in case he does not come around. If Bogans plays well I look for Malik to be cut by january from the 15 man roster and the possiblity of a midseason 2 for 1 to shore up any pparticular area of problem that surfaces.

After all, when was the last time that the Spurs started and finished the season with the same 15 man roster?

SenorSpur
10-16-2009, 03:12 PM

:lol

ulosturedge
10-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm getting tired of this end of the bench crap ppl keep saying. You need to look a little deeper. Did you not read the article? The Spurs were looking to fill the void Bruce left as our perimeter defensive stopper. Yes it does matter. Right now Hairston looks like that guy way more then Bogans does. Bogans is looking like an offensive liability out on the floor right now. Do you guys remember when Bowen went through those spells; it was like we were playing 4 on 5 on offense. Which caused more double teams and pressure from the opposing team. This whole situation is about match-ups. If Hairston can fill a need in that area then it does matter.

Darkwaters
10-16-2009, 03:21 PM
After all, when was the last time that the Spurs started and finished the season with the same 15 man roster?

With 7 bigs on the roster it doesn't have to be a wing like Hairston. Mahinmi and Haislip come to mind.

Plus, players like Finley and Bonner have some desirable contracts for trading. This is one of those seasons where a mid-season move could shore up a considerable hole.

ceperez
10-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I think they wish they had not signed Bogans, now. But, they did so, I think they will go with the 15 players to start the season and place Malik in Austin. Malik will be the Bogans insurance in case he does not come around. If Bogans plays well I look for Malik to be cut by january from the 15 man roster and the possiblity of a midseason 2 for 1 to shore up any pparticular area of problem that surfaces.

The coaching staff should own up to the Bogans signing even if it doesn't pan out like they planned. So Malik now becomes the Bogans insurance policy not the other way around. He gets stashed in Austin while Bogans gets his act together!

Now Bogans better show something tonight. If I see another 0-3 outing, I'm going to pull out an all out spurstalk campaign to get that bum ousted! ;-)

benefactor
10-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Now Bogans better show something tonight. If I see another 0-3 outing, I'm going to pull out an all out spurstalk campaign to get that bum ousted! ;-)
...because we all know that preseason performances on a brand new team mean everything.

Bruno
10-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Bogans is a player in his prime with more than 10,000 minutes played in the NBA. I'm sure Spurs' staff doesn't put him in the "scrub" category after 4 preseason games.

The true question is Hairston. Keeping Hairston will cost $1.46Mto Spurs. Is he worth that money? And if yes, should he go to Austin or be Spurs 12th man?

My Fault
10-16-2009, 03:43 PM
IMO Hairston should be kept cause even he is not used this year. It would be a great learning process for him with vets arouund. Then next year he's a solid cheap option to keep around for those we lose due to coming off the books. Although its the preseason he has shown he can be a legit NBA player.

Taking it to the Hole
10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
I think Haislip is more expendable than Williams is at this point. Haislip hasn't shown any promise. I know his contract was partially guaranteed so what would be the big deal in cutting him when Bonner is already doing what Haislip is supposed to do. If you cut Haislip, then you free up a roster spot allowing Williams to be the 3rd pg. I know this is wishful thinking as Williams will probably be cut. Just a shame they can't keep both. Bogans may be able to contribute some this year, but I just don't see him grasping the Spurs system even if he is a veteran. Williams & Hairston know the Spurs philosophy on defense playing on the Toros. Just makes sense to keep both of them I think.

manu_maniac
10-16-2009, 04:14 PM
To me, it's so long, Williams. So what if Bogans is having a crappy pre-season? We have more to look at in order to judge his worth, and what we're looking at isn't D-League playing time (which, of course, is why we signed him). I also think that if Pop wants a 14 man roster, we can still simply assign Hairston to the Toros. If there is going to be a true cut at the 15-spot, I think it should be Haislip. I had high hopes for the guy earlier on, but we have 7 bigs, and he hasn't really proven anything. Still, I favor a 15 man roster and would like Haislip to tag along.

EricB
10-16-2009, 04:21 PM
I've seen Bogans have some pretty damn good games for the Magic. While he's not a starter every game guy he's one of those typical decent to solid role players you always want on a team.

benefactor
10-16-2009, 05:03 PM
I think Haislip is more expendable than Williams is at this point. Haislip hasn't shown any promise. I know his contract was partially guaranteed so what would be the big deal in cutting him when Bonner is already doing what Haislip is supposed to do. If you cut Haislip, then you free up a roster spot allowing Williams to be the 3rd pg. I know this is wishful thinking as Williams will probably be cut. Just a shame they can't keep both. Bogans may be able to contribute some this year, but I just don't see him grasping the Spurs system even if he is a veteran. Williams & Hairston know the Spurs philosophy on defense playing on the Toros. Just makes sense to keep both of them I think.
I'm seriously about to lose it.................:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

benefactor
10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I've seen Bogans have some pretty damn good games for the Magic. While he's not a starter every game guy he's one of those typical decent to solid role players you always want on a team.
Yeah...I've watched him some there also and with the Rockets. It seemed like he was always working hard on the floor and doing those things that didn't show up in the box score. With as much experience as he has, I'm willing to give him more than a few preseason games before I pass judgment one way or the other.

galvatron3000
10-16-2009, 05:16 PM
:toast

:toast

Whisky Dog
10-16-2009, 05:25 PM
It's really close whether or not hairston is worth the 1.5 mil for the season. I think Williams is definitely out and Hairston may be a dollar casualty as well. It all comes down to whether ownership looks at it as "we're already all in what's another 1.5 mil" or "we're over big and hairston isn't worth that extra 1.5 mil".

barbacoataco
10-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Interesting points being made all around. I would like to see Hairston make the team. It seems that the Spurs have to keep either hairston or williams and play them, just to make the Toros eperiment seem worthwhile.

senorglory
10-16-2009, 05:52 PM

Fits the Spurs' model perfectly.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
10-16-2009, 06:03 PM
tough loss either way

HarlemHeat37
10-16-2009, 06:12 PM
The $ issue is pretty much the only issue..as Bruno pointed out, is Hairston worth that money?..I'm biased, so I'll say yes he is, but obviously we'll have to see what the FO believes..he still has a few more games to show something in a negative or positive way..

If we can go back in time, I highly doubt Bogans is signed after seeing Hairston play in preseason..he's been consistent in every level he's been in since last year, whether it was the NBA regular season, the D-league, the Summer League, and now the preseason..he also already knows the system, which is another thing he has over Bogans outside of pretty much everything else except experience..

Williams shouldn't be considered unless he has some huge games in the next 2..not just significant games, because Hairston has had significant games in pretty much any game where he's received minutes so far..I mean big games, where he actually shows us that his "all-around game" isn't just a myth created by the Spurs FO..

Hairston in preseason: 18 MPG..7 PPG, 52.6% FG, 3 RPG, 3 APG, 0.8 SPG, 0.8 BPG, 1.25 TOPG..

Williams in preseason: 15 MPG..4.3 PPG, 40% FG, 2 RPG, 1.5 APG, 0 steals and blocks, 2 TOPG..

If Williams is more versatile than Hairston, then nobody has seen it so far, and the stats don't show it at all..shit, Malik is even doubling the PGs assists average..so it would really be mind-blowing if Williams was picked..

Bogans vs. Hairston simply comes down to $$$..that's all there is to it..Bogans isn't going to be cut following the pre-season..Hairston is worth the $ IMO, but we'll have to see what they think..

exstatic
10-16-2009, 07:24 PM
I'd be up for the Spurs finding a team with a trade exception or cap room, and offloading Bonner or Finley, sending their salary (or $3M, which ever is less) along, and saving the tax on it. Alternately, if they feel either Ian or Haislip isn't making the nut, you do the same thing. That takes the salary and roster spot pressure out of the decision to keep young players and develop them.

Dro210
10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I have no idea what Bogans is gonna give us as of now. I liked the signing when it happened, and I think he's a solid player... but with that said... We have to keep Malik, he's just worked too hard and become too good of a player, and he makes that great insurance policy for Bogans. Hairston is a stud 6-7th man in the making.

I HATE having to give up Marcus tho. I was one of the very people who was happy we drafted him, in fact, I was ecstatic about it. Even when he's struggled, I've stuck with him. I think he's really starting to come around now, and it's gonna be a shame to see him go. I hope somehow he's still around for us to re-sign next year, but I seriously doubt that he will be.

crc21209
10-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Sucks to lose Williams at expense of keeping Bogans, but neither of them are really going to contribute IMO. Bogans will have some opportunities just because Pop is going to feel more comfortable with an unathletic slow bald old guy (JV2) and give him the PT.

Bogans is a defensive-minded first guy, while Williams just hasnt really done jack shit so far in the pre-season. Bogans > Williams. Hairston and Bogans claim the last 2 roster spots...end of story.

barbacoataco
10-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Bogans is a defensive-minded first guy, while Williams just hasnt really done jack shit so far in the pre-season. Bogans > Williams. Hairston and Bogans claim the last 2 roster spots...end of story.

Agree.

TJastal
10-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah...I've watched him some there also and with the Rockets. It seemed like he was always working hard on the floor and doing those things that didn't show up in the box score. With as much experience as he has, I'm willing to give him more than a few preseason games before I pass judgment one way or the other.

Another lackluster effort by Bogans. 1-5 from the field. Curious, just how many games are you willing to give ol' Bogie to get his act together? He's not even shooting near his career 39% (which isn't that impressive).

Maybe this is as good as it gets.

People now saying he was brought in for his great defense. Excuse me while I LOL. Udoka would run circles around this guy defensively. Bruce Bowen too, even at his age.

This lame signing fits the Popovich M.O. unfortunately. Just toss away a promising young players that has worked his ass off for a roster spot in favor some journeyman that supposedly played some good defense years ago and nobody remembers. The rationale being the more experience playing at the NBA level the better he must be.

Hell, under this logic we should immediately cut George Hill and get Stephon Marbury in here... he's played 32,000 minutes in the NBA so surely he'll be better. AmIrite?

AussieFanKurt
10-17-2009, 02:03 AM
what the fuck
if hairston doesnt get signed, ill cry

benefactor
10-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Another lackluster effort by Bogans. 1-5 from the field. Curious, just how many games are you willing to give ol' Bogie to get his act together? He's not even shooting near his career 39% (which isn't that impressive).

People now saying he was brought in for his great defense. Excuse me while I LOL. Udoka would run circles around this guy defensively. Bruce Bowen too, even at his age.

This lame signing fits the Popovich M.O. unfortunately. Just toss away a promising young players that has worked his ass off for a roster spot in favor some journeyman that supposedly played some good defense years ago and nobody remembers. The rationale being the more experience playing at the NBA level the better he must be.

Hell, under this logic we should immediately cut George Hill and get Stephon Marbury in here... he's played 32,000 minutes in the NBA so surely he'll be better. AmIrite?
Kill yourself.

Mel_13
10-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Kill yourself.

Never thought I'd see you channeling your inner TPark.:lol

Oh, next time tell him to drink bleach.:downspin:

benefactor
10-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Never thought I'd see you channeling your inner TPark.:lol

Oh, next time tell him to drink bleach.:downspin:
Sorry man, it's just really starting to get to me. I don't know why...because it's not like this is unexpected from Spurstalk.

Manufan909
10-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Have you actually watched a game he played solid minutes in and paird attention to him? Like, ever? Cuz his D on Lebron was solid last night. I was in the nose bleeds, but Fin on Lebron was a disaster. For the Spurs, it was Hairston, Bogans................... and then Fin when it cam to defending Lebron. Bogans might be a smarter defender, but Hairston isn't a slouch himself, and he has the actual physical tools to bother Lebron.

TJastal
10-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Have you actually watched a game he played solid minutes in and paird attention to him? Like, ever? Cuz his D on Lebron was solid last night. I was in the nose bleeds, but Fin on Lebron was a disaster. For the Spurs, it was Hairston, Bogans................... and then Fin when it cam to defending Lebron. Bogans might be a smarter defender, but Hairston isn't a slouch himself, and he has the actual physical tools to bother Lebron.

Well if Hairston isn't a slouch, why did Pop sign Bogans? Hairston has the advantage of being much bigger defender with a better wingspan, and filling a need vacated by Bowen. Bogans is shorter w/ short arms as well. More suited to guarding smaller guards, which is something George Hill can already do for the team. Bogans doesn't fill an immediate need.

Many here keep saying Hairston will be signed, but I'm kind of doubting it. Would be nice if it happened though.

benefactor
10-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Well if Hairston isn't a slouch, why did Pop sign Bogans? Hairston has the advantage of being much bigger defender with a better wingspan, and filling a need vacated by Bowen. Bogans is shorter w/ short arms as well. More suited to guarding smaller guards, which is something George Hill can already do for the team. Bogans doesn't fill an immediate need.

Many here keep saying Hairston will be signed, but I'm kind of doubting it. Would be nice if it happened though.
They are exactly the same height and close to the same weight. Hairston has a better standing reach but Bogans has the better wingspan.

Stop creating arguments in your mind and actually do some research before you post.

Mel_13
10-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Well if Hairston isn't a slouch, why did Pop sign Bogans?

Simple answer, Bogan is a proven NBA player, Hairston is not.

Hairston has the advantage of being much bigger defender with a better wingspan

Nice line, but not true.

Height w/o shoes:
Hairston: 6'4.25"
Bogans: 6'4.25"

Wingspan:
Hairston: 6'9"
Bogans: 6'9.25"

I agree that signing Malik is no sure thing as the Spurs weigh the additional value he brings against the additional cost. I also agree that he has proven that he is good enough to contribute. I may be biased as I thought he showed enough to stick after training camp last season.

Mel_13
10-18-2009, 07:43 AM
They are exactly the same height and close to the same weight. Hairston has a better standing reach but Bogans has the better wingspan.

Stop creating arguments in your mind and actually do some research before you post.

Beat me again:lol

TJastal
10-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Simple answer, Bogan is a proven NBA player, Hairston is not.

Nice line, but not true.

Height w/o shoes:
Hairston: 6'4.25"
Bogans: 6'4.25"

Wingspan:
Hairston: 6'9"
Bogans: 6'9.25"

I agree that signing Malik is no sure thing as the Spurs weigh the additional value he brings against the additional cost. I also agree that he has proven that he is good enough to contribute. I may be biased as I thought he showed enough to stick after training camp last season.

Wow, I'm shocked these two players are so close in size. They are so close in stature its uncanny. I would have bet good money that Hairston was significantly bigger.

It does sure seem to me that Hairston can defend "bigger" players though, and has been cited by many on this board for having a knack for that as well as blocking shots. He is clearly the stronger and more explosive player while Bogans may be the better long distance marksman.

The argument that Bogan's is a "proven nba player" stilll doesn't mean a whole lot however. The only thing that proves to me is that he's been in the league longer than Hairston and hasn't been able to stick on an NBA team for any length of time.

Thanks for doing that bit of research however, and lets hope Hairston can somehow land a spot on the roster at some point because we both do agree that he is ready for action.

benefactor
10-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Beat me again:lol
After I posted I saw you viewing the thread. I figured that was what you were doing. :)

Muser
10-18-2009, 09:18 AM

Bogans is going to be riding the bench, stop acting like he's going to get big minutes.

Manufan909
10-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Wow, I'm shocked these two players are so close in size. They are so close in stature its uncanny. I would have bet good money that Hairston was significantly bigger.

It does sure seem to me that Hairston can defend "bigger" players though, and has been cited by many on this board for having a knack for that as well as blocking shots. He is clearly the stronger and more explosive player while Bogans may be the better long distance marksman.

The argument that Bogan's is a "proven nba player" stilll doesn't mean a whole lot however. The only thing that proves to me is that he's been in the league longer than Hairston and hasn't been able to stick on an NBA team for any length of time.

Thanks for doing that bit of research however, and lets hope Hairston can somehow land a spot on the roster at some point because we both do agree that he is ready for action.

Wow, I was at the game, and Hairston looked much bigger. Bogans' skeleton must way 5x as much as it should, because Hairston looks like a tank, Bogans looks like a midget Bowen who got hit by the ugly stick more.

TJastal
10-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Wow, I was at the game, and Hairston looked much bigger. Bogans' skeleton must way 5x as much as it should, because Hairston looks like a tank, Bogans looks like a midget Bowen who got hit by the ugly stick more.

:lol :rollin