PDA

View Full Version : NBA 2009-10: Whose big move will pay off biggest?

duncan228
10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
NBA 2009-10: Whose big move will pay off biggest? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txnbaoverview&prov=st&type=lgns)
By Brian Mahoney

Kobe Bryant was hours away from another championship when that large, looming shadow appeared again.

Game 5 of the NBA finals arrived along with a report that the Cleveland Cavaliers, realizing they needed more help for LeBron James, had renewed talks with Phoenix on a deal for Shaquille O’Neal.

The trade for Bryant’s extra large ex-teammate went through on draft day, creating the tantalizing possibility of a Kobe vs. LeBron and Shaq final, and perhaps making Cleveland the favorite to face Los Angeles for this year’s championship.

Unless it’s Boston.

Or Orlando.

Or maybe San Antonio stops the Lakers from even getting out of the West.

All the top contenders made big moves, and the one that gets the best return on its investment could get the biggest reward next June.

“A lot of teams in the East got better, a lot of teams in the West got better,” O’Neal said. “It’s going to be one of the most exciting years ever since I’ve been in the league.”

Economic woes this year and the lure of a blockbuster free agent class next kept most teams quiet this summer. Just not those whose championship window is open.

-The Cavs want O’Neal and James to be a championship pairing like O’Neal-Bryant - without the soap opera.

-The Lakers signed Ron Artest, an upgrade in talent on the court but a wild card in the locker room.

-The Celtics inked Rasheed Wallace, hoping the temperamental forward can either fill in for or play alongside of a recovered Kevin Garnett.

-The Magic traded for Vince Carter, believing he can replace what they lost with the departure of Hedo Turkoglu.

-The Spurs acquired Richard Jefferson, giving them some much-needed athleticism on the wing to play with their trio of stars.

Already among the best, those teams all could be even better.

“I think what happens is those teams, actually they were favored before the trades were made, and they became stronger,” Boston coach Doc Rivers said.

And least one team may have needed to. James is the headline name in that free agent class next summer, which could also include Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Yao Ming, Dirk Nowitzki and Joe Johnson.

Teams are lining up for a chance to be spenders - though a potential significant drop in the salary cap could hamper some plans. The Cavs don’t want to risk losing their MVP from down the road in Akron, so they’ve continued trying to strengthen a team that had the league’s best record last season before getting knocked off by the Magic in the conference finals.

Orlando also was busy, realizing it needed something more to finish the job this season.

“Our goal is not just to get back to the finals. We want to win championships. That’s it. Championships are what matter, and we want to win a championship now,” Magic general manager Otis Smith said. “The pieces we added were the pieces we thought we needed to win a championship. We’re not content with just getting back to the finals. That’s why we made the moves we made.”

The Oct. 27 opening night features three of the contenders. The Celtics visit the Cavs in the first game of the season, an early chance to gauge Garnett’s health after knee pain shut him down late last season, wrecking Boston’s chance for a repeat. The Lakers raise their championship banner later that evening when they face the Clippers, featuring No. 1 draft pick Blake Griffin.

Those games could be officiated by replacement referees. The NBA has locked out its regular staff during a labor dispute and seems ready to open a season with backups for the first time since 1995.

Other difficulties remain. The economic downturn hit some markets hard and the league is prepared for perhaps a 5 percent decrease in revenues this season. The salary cap dropped this offseason for only the second time and the NBA has warned teams of another decline next summer, a potential damaging blow for teams like New York, Miami and New Jersey, who are hoping to rebuild through free agency and may find they have less money to do it.

But that’s for later. For now, the game itself will provide a nice distraction.

“The game is what brought us here. It’s always about the game and everything else we do is about making the stage or the presentation of the game even stronger, and the game itself is in the best shape that it’s ever been in,” commissioner David Stern said. “Our young stars, our future Hall of Famers, our rookies, our international talent pool, have made this a new golden age for the NBA.”

Bryant sits at the top of it. James took the MVP award that Bryant won a year earlier, but the postseason belonged to the Lakers star and his teammates.

And they seem in great shape to make a run at a repeat. No team has won back-to-back since the Bryant-O’Neal Lakers from 2000-02, but by adding Artest and keeping sixth man Lamar Odom, Los Angeles might be better prepared than any team since - especially with Bryant saying he feels healthier after a summer off following two straight offseasons playing for the United States.

“We’ll just be ready to go. We understand the challenge of winning another one,” Bryant said. “We have the chance here, we have the talent to win another one. If we don’t, it’s because of our lack of focus.”

O’Neal would love to be the one to prevent a repeat, and thinks he can. He’s already called the Cavaliers “probably the best team I’ve ever played on, on paper anyway” - which would be quite a feat, since he’s played on four champions.

“On paper, we have 1 through 15 covered. That never really matters. You still have 82 games to play and the postseason to play,” O’Neal said. “Whichever team is playing at the highest level, has all their guys healthy and has a little luck on their side is the team that makes it all the way. Hopefully that’s us.”

Allanon
10-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Of the 5 teams listed, I rate them:

1) Dick was the biggest off-season move..Spurs blew open their window of opportunity
2) VC in Orlando is huge even with the loss of Hedo
3) Sheed in Celtic Green
4) LeShaq
5) Ron Ron in Purple and Gold

Not hyped much but Dallas getting Matrix puts them firmly into the #3 West spot. And a #2 Spurs vs #3 Mavs matchup in the Semis would not be healthy for the Spurs considering past history.

If the Mavs had gotten Gortat; I'd put them at #2.

dallaskd
10-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Of the 5 teams listed, I rate them:

1) Dick was the biggest off-season move..Spurs blew open their window of opportunity
2) VC in Orlando is huge even with the loss of Hedo
3) Sheed in Celtic Green
4) LeShaq
5) Ron Ron in Purple and Gold

Not hyped much but Dallas getting Matrix puts them firmly into the #3 West spot. And a #2 Spurs vs #3 Mavs matchup in the Semis would not be healthy for the Spurs considering past history.

Im still interested to see what the Mavs can get when they unload Dampier at the trade deadline. I think he'll probably be the hottest player on the market in February with that huge salary and everybody is wanting to clear cap room for FA 2010.

Thunder Dan
10-16-2009, 04:38 PM
The Magic's move with have the biggest impact, in a negative way. What they did was basically bring themselves down to the Cavs and Celtics' level to the point where they won't get out of the east. VC might be a better option vs the Lakers, but the Hedo/Lewis/Howard combination is what got them out of the East. The Cavs can't matchup with the Magic when they have Hedo running the point with Lewis stretching the floor. Now they play a style similar to what both the Cavs and Celtics do..so I don't understand that move.

Hedo was the equalizer because he could runt he point, and the Cavs didn't have anyone to stop it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 05:05 PM
The Magic's move with have the biggest impact, in a negative way. What they did was basically bring themselves down to the Cavs and Celtics' level to the point where they won't get out of the east. VC might be a better option vs the Lakers, but the Hedo/Lewis/Howard combination is what got them out of the East. The Cavs can't matchup with the Magic when they have Hedo running the point with Lewis stretching the floor. Now they play a style similar to what both the Cavs and Celtics do..so I don't understand that move.

Hedo was the equalizer because he could runt he point, and the Cavs didn't have anyone to stop it.

Who did the Cavs have that can stop Carter but couldn't stop Turk? Next year, if Orlando kept the same team together, Nelson would have come back and Turk would go back to the bricklayer he was last year before Nelson's injury, and any mismatch he had against Cleveland would be gone with Jamario Moon there ready to lock him down just like Ariza did in the finals.

Orlando's ECF title was as fluky as Cleveland's was in 2007. They didn't want to make the same mistake Cleveland did and paint an unrealistic picture of how good their team is and get complacent while the other teams in the East got better.

Even if you're right and Orlando's changes helped them against La and hurt them against Cleveland, what's the point in beating Cleveland just to get trounced by LA afterwards?

JamStone
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
VC has run the point before at both Toronto and New Jersey. The Magic could easily throw out a line-up of VC, Pietrus, Matt Barnes, Lewis and D12.

Apparently, some think Hedo is some reincarnation of Magic Johnson and Vince Carter is like Tony Allen.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Apparently, some think Hedo is some reincarnation of Magic Johnson

Did you not see how good he was when guarded by someone 7 inches shorter than him!?!?!?!?!?!?!

JamStone
10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Mike Brown should have told Delonte that Hedo ate his KFC.

21_Blessings
10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Artest.

Even without Ron the Lakers are the favorites out West with the way Bynum is beasting right now. With Ron on the Lakers means the NBA is completely ass fucked.

Unholy Turkey
10-16-2009, 05:24 PM

Hmmm... if the Magic had lost Gortat, where would you guys place them?

djohn2oo8
10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Artest.

Even without Ron the Lakers are the favorites out West with the way Bynum is beasting right now. With Ron on the Lakers means the NBA is completely ass fucked.

Then you will be sorely disappointed when Boston once again make the Lakers their bitch

21_Blessings
10-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Then you will be sorely disappointed when Boston once again make the Lakers their bitch

Only if the Lakers are missing two starters due to injury again.

Otherwise, :lol. Lakers proved last season that they were leagues better than Boston.

DAF86
10-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't know which one will be the best move, but I'm pretty sure the worst one will be either Carter to Magics or Artest to LA.

Ditty
10-16-2009, 05:53 PM
healthy boston>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>healthy lakers

DAF86
10-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Otherwise, :lol. Lakers proved last season that they were leagues better than Boston.

When did that happen?

djohn2oo8
10-16-2009, 05:55 PM

Boston was without Garnett....Lakers still would have gotten their ass handed to them with Bynum the first time around. Plus they added Rasheed Wallace, not sure if they added Marquis Daniels or not, but now they have a big 5 in rondo, pierce, allen, rasheed, and garnett....And you can't forget that LeBron has Shaq now, too bad their PG is psycho though

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't know which one will be the best move, but I'm pretty sure the worst one will be either Carter to Magics or Artest to LA.

When did Vince Carter become the worst player in the NBA? People act like Orlando getting him will turn Orlando into a bottom feeder.

Allanon
10-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Hmmm... if the Magic had lost Gortat, where would you guys place them?

Magic would be screwed without Gortat.

The NBA has a long season and Dwight is prone to foul trouble. Without Gortat providing quality backup minutes for Dwight, the Magic would be a 6/7 seed.

It's not much different than Duncan last year...he played way too much because he didn't have a serviceable backup. As a result, he wore down towards the end of the season. Sure Dwight's alot younger but even young Bigs need somebody to spell them during foul trouble and 48 minute games.

BlackSwordsMan
10-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Sheed

Allanon
10-16-2009, 06:19 PM

The main advantage in getting Artest is his toughness. With Kobe and Artest, you probably have a couple of the toughest (in-game) players in the NBA. And I do like some of Bynum's more recent toughness on the court. Bynum's been layin' some real wood with his fouls late last year and into this year...no easy layups/dunks. It's been awhile since I've seen the Lakers give hard fouls. I suspect you won't be hearing how "soft" the Lakers are this year.

Nobody will be bitch-slappin' the Lakers, more than likely, it will be the Lakers doing the bullying.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Ron Artest is anything but tough.

Allanon
10-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Ron Artest is anything but tough.

Perhaps off the court but on the court, I doubt there's many a player more tough and ornery on defense than Artest.

dirk4mvp
10-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Vince Carter is very good when he's not being a lazy ass, which isn't a very high percentage of the time.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Perhaps off the court but on the court, I doubt there's many a player more tough and ornery on defense than Artest.

If a tough player is as big as Artest is, he posts up lot a more than Artest does, and chucks jumpers a lot less than Artest does.

carrao45
10-16-2009, 06:34 PM
healthy boston>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>healthy lakers

Care to elaborate on how or why?

Allanon
10-16-2009, 06:34 PM
If a tough player is as big as Artest is, he posts up lot a more than Artest does, and chucks jumpers a lot less than Artest does.

I agree on offense, he used to be alot better inside and shot much fewer jumpers. I am referring to his defense.

carrao45
10-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Boston was without Garnett....Lakers still would have gotten their ass handed to them with Bynum the first time around. Plus they added Rasheed Wallace, not sure if they added Marquis Daniels or not, but now they have a big 5 in rondo, pierce, allen, rasheed, and garnett....And you can't forget that LeBron has Shaq now, too bad their PG is psycho though

No, Garnett was healthy both games they played last year. The Celtics were coming off 19 and 12 games winning streaks before they faced the Lakers. The Celtics lost both games, once in Boston, when the Lakers were without their starting center who had been playing spectacularly, and the Lakers were on the second game of a back-to-back, and their 3rd game in 4 days.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Wow carrao, the swine flu outbreak in Cleveland really adds to your sig :lol

Ghazi
10-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Magic would be screwed without Gortat.

The NBA has a long season and Dwight is prone to foul trouble. Without Gortat providing quality backup minutes for Dwight, the Magic would be a 6/7 seed.

It's not much different than Duncan last year...he played way too much because he didn't have a serviceable backup. As a result, he wore down towards the end of the season. Sure Dwight's alot younger but even young Bigs need somebody to spell them during foul trouble and 48 minute games.

Jesus fuck another retarded gem from Allanon... so the Magic's 10-15 minute backup C is worth about 12-15 wins for the Magic?

75 win ecstas!!! :smokin

Allanon
10-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Jesus fuck another retarded gem from Allanon... so the Magic's 10-15 minute backup C is worth about 12-15 wins for the Magic?

75 win ecstas!!! :smokin

Ah, good to see you back and a stupid fuck as ever Ghazi.

2006 World Champion Mavericks :smokin

Finperro
10-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Ah, good to see you back and a stupid fuck as ever Ghazi.

2006 World Champion Mavericks :smokin
Ghazi is stupid but that isn't as bad at all as being born from a stinking vagina like your mom's.

dirk4mvp
10-16-2009, 11:45 PM
How many trolls does Rogue have to say the same things he would say under his usual name?

bostonguy
10-17-2009, 01:28 AM

Nah Orlando will still have the matchup advantage if their pg Jameer Nelson stays healthy. He will replace what Hedo did.

Allanon
10-17-2009, 03:35 AM
Ghazi is stupid but that isn't as bad at all as being born from a stinking vagina like your mom's.

Your mom would know all about smelly pussy, I had some of hers last night,

She definitely needs some douche. Why don't you stick your head in and freshen it up?

Culburn369
10-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Your mom would know all about smelly pussy, I had some of hers last night,

She definitely needs some douche. Why don't you stick your head in and freshen it up?

:(Al?

Rummpd
10-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Its gonna be a another cake walk for the Lakers, especially in the West. We just need health.

You are absolutely wrong on this point a healthy Spurs team toys with the greatly over-hyped and Lakers this year easily with Blair + the veteran additions!

Lakers were not a dominant championship team and have the biggest flaw in their starting of any contender in the aging Fisher and Artest has been exposed the last few years as slower and a poor shooter and Ariza was becoming the better player.

Culburn369
10-17-2009, 08:38 AM
You are absolutely wrong on this point a healthy Spurs team toys with the greatly over-hyped and Lakers this year easily with Blair + the veteran additions!

Those pesky Mavs notwithstanding, eh?

tee, hee.

21_Blessings
10-17-2009, 01:05 PM

Lakers were not a dominant championship team and have the biggest flaw in their starting of any contender in the aging Fisher and Artest has been exposed the last few years as slower and a poor shooter and Ariza was becoming the better player.

Biggest flaw? lmao, lets look at the Spurs perimeter defense right quick.

Parker, Nose, Jefferson :lol :lol :lol

Anchored by a one-legged Tim Duncan and an overweight, undersized PF with no ACLs. Good luck stopping ANYBODY come playoff time.

Yeah the Spurs sure are going places.

21_Blessings
10-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Boston was without Garnett

The Lakers destroyed the Celtics two times during the season with Garnett. Both times the Celtics were at their peak considering they were on huge winning streaks. the Lakers were clearly the better the team.

.Lakers still would have gotten their ass handed to them with Bynum the first time around.

You couldn't be more wrong. Also like how you don't even mention Ariza, as he wasn't even close to 100% that series. Two starters on the 09 championship team weren't healthy the previous year. If you don't think matters then you're completely retarded.

.And you can't forget that LeBron has Shaq now, too bad their PG is psycho though

And?? Shaq sure took Phoenix to cool places. Like the lottery.

Kobe™
10-18-2009, 06:02 AM
The Lakers destroyed the Celtics two times during the season with Garnett. Both times the Celtics were at their peak considering they were on huge winning streaks. the Lakers were clearly the better the team.

I wouldn't say they destroyed the Celts, but they were huge wins and really built momentum for the rest of the season.