PDA

View Full Version : Bynum's 22 ppg in pre-season and Phil considering Triple Tower Lineup

Allanon
10-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I've been waiting to see how Bynum/Pau/Odom work together as a front court lineup...didn't happen last year. But it looks like Phil's been messing with the idea again this year.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers16-2009oct16,0,1055315.story

Will Phil Jackson ever play Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom at the same time?

It might finally happen.

The Lakers' coach is open to the idea of a frontcourt with two 7-footers and the 6-10 Odom.

"I think that we're very capable of playing like that," Jackson said Thursday. "We have to work on transition defense, obviously, but we know that's a weapon that we could use this year."

Jackson has never used such a lineup since Gasol was acquired in February 2008. It would probably be situational, employed against bigger frontcourts.

The pluses are obvious -- size down low on offense and defense. The minuses are also obvious -- a lack of defensive speed.

"Transition-wise, if you have those young burners out there that can race the ball up the court -- to get back and stop the ball, that'll be something we'll have to work on," Jackson said.

Bynum continued to put up big numbers in exhibition play, scoring 24 points in the Lakers' 98-92 victory Thursday over the Sacramento Kings at Thomas & Mack Center.

Bynum is now averaging 22.3 points in three exhibition games.

IronMexican
10-16-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't think the Lakers should do it much if at all. No need for it, really.

Allanon
10-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Now I know why the Lakers play pre-season in Vegas, so they can go to the clubs :lol

Damn near the whole team went to hang out...even the camp scrubs

0P9Iv5RfJKY

dallaskd
10-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Bynum's 22 ppg in pre-season and Phil considering Triple Tower Lineup

Allanon
10-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Bynum's 22 ppg in pre-season and Phil considering Triple Tower Lineup

Not too hard to see Bynum averaging around 17-18 this year considering he was at 14 last year.

DPG21920
10-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I have partied in LAX, pretty cool club. Fat Joe was MC that night.

crc21209
10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
A line-up of Bynum, Odom, and Gasol might get killed by some more speedy guys...

JamStone
10-16-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't see a problem with trying it for stretches. Odom can facilitate the offense with Kobe and Artest on the wings, and Odom has enough agility to defend most small forwards. Kobe and Artest might get burned by some quicker guards, but for the most part would be ok, especially if it's only for short stretches and not most of the game.

Not too hard to see Bynum averaging around 17-18 this year considering he was at 14 last year.

You're also replacing Trevor Ariza's 9 ppg for a guy who has averaged just about 18 ppg the previous four seasons in Ron Artest. Who is giving up all these touches for Bynum to get to 17-18? Kobe? Yeah right. Gasol? Maybe but Phil likes getting Gasol involved. Odom? He already sacrificed his points and only averaged 11 ppg last season. Barring injury, Bynum is still going to be around 15 ppg, 8-10 rpg guy if not less than that.

dirk4mvp
10-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Blair > Bynum

Allanon
10-16-2009, 08:42 PM
You're also replacing Trevor Ariza's 9 ppg for a guy who has averaged just about 18 ppg the previous four seasons in Ron Artest. Who is giving up all these touches for Bynum to get to 17-18? Kobe? Yeah right. Gasol? Maybe but Phil likes getting Gasol involved. Odom? He already sacrificed his points and only averaged 11 ppg last season. Barring injury, Bynum is still going to be around 15 ppg, 8-10 rpg guy if not less than that.

I disagree. Lakers are paying Bynum $14 million this year as opposed to Artest's $5 million. Makes sense for Buss to try and get his money's worth.

Getting Bynum 2-3 more shots this year won't be a problem...I'll guess Bynum's attempts per game at 10-11 this year with a 17PPG+ average...up from his previous 9 and 14PPG average.

Allanon
10-16-2009, 09:24 PM
If anything, it look like Ron's trying too hard to be just one of the guys; he's already deferring to Bynum:

Lakers coach Jackson:

Artest needs to be more assertive
http://www.dailynews.com/lakers/ci_13573928#

October 15, 2009 - Los Angeles Daily News
By Elliott Teaford

LAS VEGAS - At first glance, there wasn't anything terribly wrong with Ron Artest's line from the Lakers' 98-92 exhibition victory Thursday night against the Sacramento Kings.

He had seven points, seven rebounds and two assists.

Upon further review, Lakers coach Phil Jackson found fault with Artest's game.

Artest, who signed a five-year, $34 million deal with the Lakers during the offseason, has played three exhibitions so far. He hasn't played with the aggression that Jackson would like to see from him, however.

"He still looks like he's standing around watching the other guys play at times, and he's not involved as much as I would like him to be involved," Jackson said after watching Artest play 26 minutes,

14 seconds against the Kings.

Asked if he believed Artest was deferring too much to his teammates, Jackson said, "Yeah, yeah, I think he's got to find his way in the post and do some things that asserts himself and put pressure on his teammates to get him the ball in the right spots.

"He's trying to be the right guy and try to fit in and not try to crowd his way in there, but he's got to do that. I'm going to have to force him to do it."

Artest admitted his immersion to all things Lakers remains a work in progress. He also said he's been reluctant to charge into the mix, particularly offensively, because he's studying the Lakers' pecking order in their triangle offense.

Artest is not accustomed to playing as the third or fourth or fifth option.

"If I get one shot a game, I want to make that one shot," he said. "As long as I rebound and play hard, that's all I care about.

"I've never played with a player like Kobe (Bryant). We've got (Andrew) Bynum and (Pau) Gasol and (Lamar) Odom. - It's totally different. I'm blessed to be in this situation, so I'm got to continue to study."

tlongII
10-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Well, you know who can match that lineup don't you?...

djohn2oo8
10-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Well, you know who can match that lineup don't you?...

Boston

Culburn369
10-16-2009, 10:20 PM
[[[Artest admitted his immersion to all things Lakers remains a work in progress. He also said he's been reluctant to charge into the mix, particularly offensively, because he's studying the Lakers' pecking order in their triangle offense.

"If I get one shot a game, I want to make that one shot," he said. "As long as I rebound and play hard, that's all I care about.

"I've never played with a player like Kobe (Bryant). We've got (Andrew) Bynum and (Pau) Gasol and (Lamar) Odom. - It's totally different. I'm blessed to be in this situation, so I'm got to continue to study."]]]

Just a prince of a fellow. I don't WTF Houston's problem with him was, but, he's been nothing but a sage for the Lakers.

I'm just as pleased as punch.

djohn2oo8
10-16-2009, 10:35 PM
[[[Artest admitted his immersion to all things Lakers remains a work in progress. He also said he's been reluctant to charge into the mix, particularly offensively, because he's studying the Lakers' pecking order in their triangle offense.

"I've never played with a player like Kobe (Bryant). We've got (Andrew) Bynum and (Pau) Gasol and (Lamar) Odom. - It's totally different. I'm blessed to be in this situation, so I'm got to continue to study."]]]

Just a prince of a fellow. I don't WTF Houston's problem with him was, but, he's been nothing but a sage for the Lakers.

Please, stop letting us know how big of a moron you are :lmao

Suddenly it's Houston's problem with Artest when Artest has had problems everywhere he has been

JamStone
10-16-2009, 10:37 PM
I disagree. Lakers are paying Bynum $14 million this year as opposed to Artest's $5 million. Makes sense for Buss to try and get his money's worth.

Getting Bynum 2-3 more shots this year won't be a problem...I'll guess Bynum's attempts per game at 10-11 this year with a 17PPG+ average...up from his previous 9 and 14PPG average.

So over/under on Ron Artest's ppg? 10 ppg?

lil_penny
10-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Good to see bynum getting his touch back

Culburn369
10-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Please, stop letting us know how big of a moron you are :lmao

Suddenly it's Houston's problem with Artest when Artest has had problems everywhere he has been

Don't start calling me names on a Friday evening, dj. Wait till at least Sunday. Por favor?

And he didn't have a problem in Houston until after he signed in Los Angeles. Then you guys tattled on him for panty raids & phone booth cramming type malarkey.

DPG21920
10-16-2009, 10:53 PM
14/8/5

Are those extra points (14 - Ariza's avg from last year) coming from...?

DPG21920
10-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Ron is kind of a chucker, I would not want him taking shots away from Bynum who shoots 50%+.

So you are saying last year, the pecking order on offense was Kobe, Pau, Bynum and now it will be Kobe, Pau, Ron, Bynum?

DeadlyDynasty
10-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Ron is kind of a chucker, I would not want him taking shots away from Bynum who shoots 50%+.

So you are saying last year, the pecking order on offense was Kobe, Pau, Bynum and now it will be Kobe, Pau, Ron, Bynum?

Agreed, it's time to see if the kid can dominate. As for Ron, I would be thrilled if he uses most of his energy on the defensive end and averages only 10ppg.

DPG21920
10-16-2009, 11:27 PM
I think Ron can avg around 12-14, but I think that would come from Kobe passing more.

DeadlyDynasty
10-16-2009, 11:29 PM
I think Ron can avg around 12-14, but I think that would come from Kobe passing more.

true. All things considered though, trying to figure out who the #3 option is going to be between Bynum, Artest, and Odom is a problem I think any team would want to have.

DPG21920
10-16-2009, 11:34 PM
No doubt. At least the Spurs have a well defined pecking order.

carrao45
10-16-2009, 11:42 PM
14/8/5

11/4/2

JamStone
10-16-2009, 11:44 PM
So Laker fans, how much will each of the main Laker players average scoring this year?

Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Artest, and Odom?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-17-2009, 12:13 AM
So you expecting him to have the worst season of his career?

Idk why that's such a weird prediction since this is by far the most minor role he's ever played.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Since he wont be shooting 16 shots a game, I'd expect his rebounds and assist to be at the highest he's ever had. So yeah, I think its weird for his numbers to drop across the board.

Touche, you're right about rebounds. Assists, idk, but I see what you mean.

cobbler
10-17-2009, 12:46 AM

Not sure why everybody keeps insisting Kobe, Pau, or Drew will have to give up shots. Ron will also be playing with the 2nd string and be a more go-to guy on that unit. He will get those extra 2 to 4 shots from Sasha, Farmar, Walton etc.

TJastal
10-17-2009, 02:26 AM
And here we see why (excsue the pun) a square peg doesn't fit in a round hole.

Ariza was that perfect complimentary piece to that laker team last year, in terms of excellent defense and 3 point shooting. They really don't need anything more than that.

Thus, the round hole is still there, and Artest is trying to wriggle into it. But now Phil Jackson is telling him its not a round hole its a square hole! C'mon Ron play your game!

Is that what the lakers need though? Maybe they were better off with the round hole. :rollin

I sense trouble brewing ahead.

cobbler
10-17-2009, 02:42 AM
And here we see why (excsue the pun) a square peg doesn't fit in a round hole.

Ariza was that perfect complimentary piece to that laker team last year, in terms of excellent defense and 3 point shooting. They really don't need anything more than that.

Thus, the round hole is still there, and Artest is trying to wriggle into it. But now Phil Jackson is telling him its not a round hole its a square hole! C'mon Ron play your game!

Is that what the lakers need though? Maybe they were better off with the round hole. :rollin

I sense trouble brewing ahead.

Yeah... because after only two weeks of camp it's absolutely ridiculous that Ron would have adjustments to make when learning to play with new teamates. Obviously Ariza made these adjustments so much easier as his year and a half cracking the starting lineup proves. :blah

So after months of all the speculation that Ron would come in and demand the ball, chuck up shots, and cause havoc in the locker room... you now are saying trouble is brewing because he's defering to teamates and taking his time to fit in. :lmao

xellos88330
10-17-2009, 03:07 AM
I am hoping that everything works out well for the Lakers and the Spurs.

This will be a matchup of epic proportions if the two meet in the playoffs.

Allanon
10-17-2009, 03:33 AM
So over/under on Ron Artest's ppg? 10 ppg?

Definitely over.

Being on the court with Kobe/Pau/Lamar/Bynum will get Artest better looks and result in a better FG% than last year. So even though his shot attempts will go down, his scoring output will be almost equal to last year since he'll convert more attempts.

Last year, Artest averaged 17pts on 40% shooting using 12.5 shots per game.
This year, my guess is he'll be around 14-15 pts on 45% or better shooting and 8 shots.

Barring injuries, Lakers will have 5 players averaging Double figures this year (or very close to it).

Culburn369
10-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Yeah... because after only two weeks of camp it's absolutely ridiculous that Ron would have adjustments to make when learning to play with new teamates. Obviously Ariza made these adjustments so much easier as his year and a half cracking the starting lineup proves. :blah

So after months of all the speculation that Ron would come in and demand the ball, chuck up shots, and cause havoc in the locker room... you now are saying trouble is brewing because he's defering to teamates and taking his time to fit in. :lmao

TJ just got his ass handed to him.

tee, hee.

sonic21
10-17-2009, 05:36 AM
over/under on artest FG%? 45?

TJastal
10-17-2009, 06:59 AM
over/under on artest FG%? 45?

Put me down for $500 on the under. :D

Rummpd
10-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Boston

Spurs can but Duncan, Blair, Manu, Jefferson, and Parker and absolutely destroy that line up with speed rebounding and better all around skill. Bring it on Jackson.

TJastal
10-17-2009, 07:22 AM

There could be.

Artest is playing the role vacated by Ariza as well as he can. Problem is, that role was perfectly suited for Ariza, and he's not Ariza. And now PJ is telling him to essentially be more "crazy Ron" rather than "passive Ron", which is probably the more effective of the two. Except "crazy Ron" isn't going to work in the laker starting lineup.

Which is probably why PJ has started to experiment with Lamar Odom in the starting lineup, so he can move Artest into the 2nd unit.

Still, there are going to be times that Ron is out there with the starters and there could defenitely be some problems if Ron gets confused which role he's supposed to be playing. :lol

Capt Bringdown
10-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Spurs can but Duncan, Blair, Manu, Jefferson, and Parker and absolutely destroy that line up with speed rebounding and better all around skill. Bring it on Jackson.

Lakers have too many options - if Odom, Gasol and Bynum are all healthy, that's a devastating front line. I don't know if Duncan or Garnett at this advanced stage of their respective careers can effectively anchor a defense against this Laker front line. I think you need something like the Admiral/Duncan combo of 2003 to do it, and I don't see any team presenting such a challenge this year.

Even if you battle the Lakers front line to a draw, you've got the most dangerous player in the league to deal with, and Artest creating havoc. Not to mention the record-breaking championship coaching of PJ.

I applaud the Spurs changes this year, but ultimately the Lakers have the best player and coach in the world, and are loaded with talent to boot. Beating them straight up would be a enormous achievement, "absolutely destroy(ing)" a team of this magnitude would be the Spurs greatest achievement ever.

I think the Lakers are poised to rattle off another 2-3 championships. I wish it weren't so, but talent and coaching wise, they are untouchable at this point. A team for the ages perhaps.

21_Blessings
10-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Not sure why we're so focused on the statistics here. Phil has already scolded Artest for being too passive on the offensive end. Stats are meaningless on a deep, championship team.

As for Bynum, his 14 ppg is last season is sort of misleading. The month prior to his injury he was the clear 3rd option and even the 2nd option on some nights. in January Bynum averaged 17 points pretty easily and he is playing about at that level right now.

The only question is health. If Bynum stays on the floor he'll be getting 15-18 a game and close to 10 boards while earning the first All-Star appearance of his young career.

cobbler
10-17-2009, 08:41 AM
There could be.

Artest is playing the role vacated by Ariza as well as he can. Problem is, that role was perfectly suited for Ariza, and he's not Ariza. And now PJ is telling him to essentially be more "crazy Ron" rather than "passive Ron", which is probably the more effective of the two. Except "crazy Ron" isn't going to work in the laker starting lineup.

Which is probably why PJ has started to experiment with Lamar Odom in the starting lineup, so he can move Artest into the 2nd unit.

Still, there are going to be times that Ron is out there with the starters and there could defenitely be some problems if Ron gets confused which role he's supposed to be playing. :lol

I don't even know where to start being that you are so wrong on so many levels.

No, Artest is not playing a role vacated by Ariza the best he can. He is playing a "position" that Ariza played. SO you think the Lakers decided to bring in Ron to play the exact same way Ariza did? That's laughable. They felt Ron would bring more toughness, be able to gaurd the larger SF's better, and create his own shots better with post moves and ball handling skills Ariza does not posess at this stage in his career.

No, PJ is not asking him to be more crazy Ron. He's asking him to be more assertive. Ron has been easing himself into the team dynamics and PJ simply wants him to be more aggressive. And you think PJ requested this because he has a place on the 2nd unit marked for him? That's absurd.

No, PJ started experimenting with Lamar in the starting lineup for several reasons. Pau is hurting a tad and had a long summer so Lamar took his spot in the last game. PJ has already said that he will play the lineup of Bynum, Pau, Odom, Bryant, and Artest at times this year. This in preperation for teams like the Celts, Cavs, and Blazers who can put big front courts on the floor. What a ridiculous idea that they should actually experiment and practice with the lineup prior to implementing it. It has nothing to do with Ron moving to the 2nd unit.

Ron is not going to be confused about which role he is playing. That's what PJ is for and I think he has proven over the years that he knows how to get his players on the same page.

Still, there are going to be times that Ron is out there with the starters? WOW... just WOW. :lmao

TJastal
10-17-2009, 09:13 AM
:lol
I don't even know where to start being that you are so wrong on so many levels.

No, Artest is not playing a role vacated by Ariza the best he can. He is playing a "position" that Ariza played. SO you think the Lakers decided to bring in Ron to play the exact same way Ariza did? That's laughable. They felt Ron would bring more toughness, be able to gaurd the larger SF's better, and create his own shots better with post moves and ball handling skills Ariza does not posess at this stage in his career.

No, PJ is not asking him to be more crazy Ron. He's asking him to be more assertive. Ron has been easing himself into the team dynamics and PJ simply wants him to be more aggressive. And you think PJ requested this because he has a place on the 2nd unit marked for him? That's absurd.

No, PJ started experimenting with Lamar in the starting lineup for several reasons. Pau is hurting a tad and had a long summer so Lamar took his spot in the last game. PJ has already said that he will play the lineup of Bynum, Pau, Odom, Bryant, and Artest at times this year. This in preperation for teams like the Celts, Cavs, and Blazers who can put big front courts on the floor. What a ridiculous idea that they should actually experiment and practice with the lineup prior to implementing it. It has nothing to do with Ron moving to the 2nd unit.

Ron is not going to be confused about which role he is playing. That's what PJ is for and I think he has proven over the years that he knows how to get his players on the same page.

Still, there are going to be times that Ron is out there with the starters? WOW... just WOW. :lmao

Well you just keep telling yourself this if it makes you feel better. We'll see if Artest gets booted to the 2nd unit (which I think will happen and soon)

Why? The lakers don't need an "assertive" Ron Artest in the starting lineup. They need a passive presence like Ariza provided. They have enough creators in the triangle, what they need is a guy who will space the floor with big 3pt shots, which is exactly what Ariza gave them last year.

The ironic and funny thing is that for once in his career Artest has been on his best behavior trying to do what's best for his team and is getting his ass reamed by the coach for it. This situation was already a powder keg and now Jackson has just poured gasoline on it.

Culburn369
10-17-2009, 09:50 AM
The ironic and funny thing is that for once in his career Artest has been on his best behavior trying to do what's best for his team and is getting his ass reamed by the coach for it. This situation was already a powder keg and now Jackson has just poured gasoline on it.

tee, hee. TJ, runnin' just as fast as he can.

exstatic
10-17-2009, 10:17 AM

Dude, year one. Year one. There's always a honeymoon period of a year or a year and a half with Artest. After that point, even the fans hate his ass.

Culburn369
10-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Dude, year one. Year one. There's always a honeymoon period of a year or a year and a half with Artest. After that point, even the fans hate his ass.

If he could ring in that first year & a half I'd settle for that. Skim the cream, ship him out. We did that ostensibly with Ariza.

21_Blessings
10-17-2009, 12:00 PM

We'll see if Artest gets booted to the 2nd unit (which I think will happen and soon)

You're pretty dumb if you believe that. :lol

TJastal
10-17-2009, 01:05 PM
You're pretty dumb if you believe that. :lol

ORLY? You need to learn to read between the lines. It does look like PJ is setting up Artest to come off the bench, only he's doing it by throwing hints around first... talking about how much he's digging the "BIG" lineup featuring Lamar Odom at small forward. Then going on to talk about how speed might kill that type of lineup.

Hmm... reading between the lines...if you need to match speed with speed in that lineup, who do you think is going to the bench in favor of a quicker guard, Kobe or Artest?

21_Blessings
10-17-2009, 01:23 PM
ORLY?

Kill yourself

You need to learn to read between the lines. It does look like PJ is setting up Artest to come off the bench, only he's doing it by throwing hints around first...

No he's not. Again, you're stupid if you believe this. Let's all hope you're just trolling. For your family's sake.

Kobe™
10-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Cobbler whupped that ass, damn.

cobbler
10-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Well you just keep telling yourself this if it makes you feel better. We'll see if Artest gets booted to the 2nd unit (which I think will happen and soon)

Why? The lakers don't need an "assertive" Ron Artest in the starting lineup. They need a passive presence like Ariza provided. They have enough creators in the triangle, what they need is a guy who will space the floor with big 3pt shots, which is exactly what Ariza gave them last year.

I feel just fine thank you.

So they don't need an assertive Ron in the lineup. Hmmmmm.... I think I'll take PJ's opinion over yours.

Hmmmmm... and Ron's 3pt shooting is considerably better than Ariza's. What a tradegy that he actually has other skills that allow him to not only do the same things Trevor was able to do but MORE.

If by ass reamed you mean PJ made a simple comment to Ron and the media that he would like him to be more assertive then uhhhhh ok.

Powder keg? Only in the media and oppositions hopeful dreams. How is it already a powder keg? You just now said he's been on his best behavior. Make up your mind.

TJastal
10-18-2009, 07:37 AM
I feel just fine thank you.

So they don't need an assertive Ron in the lineup. Hmmmmm.... I think I'll take PJ's opinion over yours.

Hmmmmm... and Ron's 3pt shooting is considerably better than Ariza's. What a tradegy that he actually has other skills that allow him to not only do the same things Trevor was able to do but MORE.

If by ass reamed you mean PJ made a simple comment to Ron and the media that he would like him to be more assertive then uhhhhh ok.

Powder keg? Only in the media and oppositions hopeful dreams. How is it already a powder keg? You just now said he's been on his best behavior. Make up your mind.

Your a funny little midget. I'd love to know where your getting your stats from. Last year Artest shot 34% during the regular season, to Ariza's 32%. You call that considerably better? LOL. You left out the fact that in the post-season Ariza absolutely smoked Artest's ass in 3pt shooting, (40-84, 48%) to Artests' (23-83, 31%).

Ron Artest has always been a powder keg ready to explode at a moment's notice. Everyone knows that. One negative word from the coach that doesn't sit well .. could set him off.

If Bynum keeps up this offensive pace that's he's been on, this will only reinforce my POV that the lakers won't need much from Ron-ron other than defense and the occasional 3pt shot.

Culburn369
10-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Ron Artest has always been a powder keg ready to explode at a moment's notice. Everyone knows that. One negative word from the coach that doesn't sit well .. could set him off.

That's just you sittin' in the garage wringin' yer hands, hopin' & prayin'.

cobbler
10-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Your a funny little midget. I'd love to know where your getting your stats from. Last year Artest shot 34% during the regular season, to Ariza's 32%. You call that considerably better? LOL. You left out the fact that in the post-season Ariza absolutely smoked Artest's ass in 3pt shooting, (40-84, 48%) to Artests' (23-83, 31%).

If Bynum keeps up this offensive pace that's he's been on, this will only reinforce my POV that the lakers won't need much from Ron-ron other than defense and the occasional 3pt shot.

Career: (from basketbsll-reference.com)

Ariza 3pt% .299 Artest 3pt% .342 .

Yes. I call that considerably better.

So, you can take the career averages or you can post the numbers which were for one year and subsequent post season. Let's not forget that Ron was one of the primary scorers on most of his teams and thus commanded the defensive attention. If you take last year alone you are leaving off a lot of data and also fail to understand why Trevors % increased so much last year alone. Could it be playing off Kobe and being ungarded had something to do with that?

.... and you are correct (go figure) ... all the Lakers need from Ron is tough D and an occasional 3 along with an occasonial post up option (something Trevor couldnt do)

Allanon
10-18-2009, 11:28 AM

What a stupid fuck, new to the NBA? :lol

Artest was the 1st/2nd option on offense last year depending on whether Yao was playing or not. Team's focussed on Artest.

Ariza, on the other hand, was the 5th option on offense and defenses left him wide open to shoot so they could spend time doubling other players...maybe like Kobe or Pau perhaps? Just so you know, wide open shots are much easier to make than contested ones. :lol

Really? What has this "ready to explode" powder keg done and when did he do it?

tlongII
10-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Boom!
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20091015/capt.e65247c047164cb5ada43e6d3eb9b0b5.suns_trail_b lazers_basketball_orrb103.jpg

TJastal
10-18-2009, 02:03 PM
What a stupid fuck, new to the NBA? :lol

Artest was the 1st/2nd option on offense last year depending on whether Yao was playing or not. Team's focussed on Artest.

Ariza, on the other hand, was the 5th option on offense and defenses left him wide open to shoot so they could spend time doubling other players...maybe like Kobe or Pau perhaps? Just so you know, wide open shots are much easier to make than contested ones. :lol

Really? What has this "ready to explode" powder keg done and when did he do it?

Hello Arizas' 48% in the playoffs to 31% for Artest .. is alot to chalk up to simply being less contested. Also shows Ariza steps up his game for the playoffs while Artests' game took a dump.

What has he done? You dare ask?

http://bareknucks.com/ron-artest-has-worked-long-and-hard-but-he-finally-has-become-the-most-disturbed-nba-player-of-all-time

Ron Artest has worked long and hard, but he finally has become the most disturbed NBA player of all time

Posted by Matt on Oct 16, 2009 in NBA • 4 comments

Most thought it would take a lot of work to displace Dennis Rodman as the NBA’s madman. Someone’s done it. Ron Artest is hands down the most mentally disturbed basketball player ever. :lol Rodman pales in comparison. Maybe if we added up all the early 2000’s Jail Blazers, that would amount to the insanity that Artest brings to the table. Let’s take a stroll down memory lane with our buddy Ron, shall we?

In 1999, before his rookie season, Artest applied for a part time job at a Circuit City in Chicago. But the Bulls stopped him. Apparently he wanted the employee discount. Artest: “I thought it would be fun. And I had a friend who worked there.” Later in 1999, he was fined $5,000 and sent home from the league’s rookie orientation program for missing a meeting. Jerry Krause said Artest overslept and had a friend in his room when visitors weren’t allowed.

In 2001, Ron was suspended for one game and fined $7,500 for fighting with Glenn Robinson. Later that year, he broke two of Michael Jordan’s ribs during a pickup game. “I’m not sure what happened,” Artest said, “I was just guarding him. I was just trying to get position because he was posting me up. I don’t even recall him stopping for a brief second. … I read it in the paper and was like, ‘Man, Mike’s ribs got broke. How’d his ribs get broke?’”

In 2002, Artest was traded to the Pacers. Ok, no problems here, right? Wrong. Later in 02, his girlfriend Jennifer Palma, the mother of one of Artest’s sons, accused him of grabbing her around the neck and by the arm during an argument. No charges were filed, but she was given a protective order, which Artest allegedly violated several days later by calling her.

How could 2002 be any worse? Artest, back with Kimsha Hatfield, his girlfriend for eight years and the mother of his two oldest children, called the police claiming that she hit and scratched him. They’re now married. A match made in heaven! You thought that was it for 2002? You were sorely mistaken. He was fined $10,000 for shoving Raja Bell and not leaving the court in a timely manner after his ejection.

2003 wasn’t exactly kind to Ron either. He was suspended three games and fined $35,000 for smashing video equipment after a loss to the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. :lol Then he was suspended four games, costing him $84,000, after confrontation with Pat Riley on the sidelines during the game, then flipping his middle finger at the fans in Miami. The incident got worse in the fourth quarter when Artest scored and was fouled, and flexed his right arm while walking toward the Miami bench. Heat assistant coach Keith Askins exchanged words with Artest, who brushed against Riley. Riley, who was already pissed because of an Artest flagrant foul on Caron Butler, began shouting with Artest and shoved him away.

He was then suspended one game by Pacers for smashing a framed picture of himself in Conseco Fieldhouse (huh?),:lol suspended six games for too many flagrant fouls on Bonzi Wells, Eric Snow, and Paul Pierce, and fined $20,000 for making an obscene gesture to the crowd in Cleveland. This was all 2003. No, seriously. My head is spinning.

On to 2004. He made his first all-star appearance by changing and mismatching his shoes throughout the game, in the hopes of landing a shoe contract. :lol Then he got suspended one game for elbowing Derek Anderson. He was fined $10,000 for making an obscene gesture during Eastern Conference Finals against the Pistons. He took a shot at Richard Hamilton’s masked face and was called for a flagrant foul late in the fourth quarter of Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Said Artest of the call: “(Hamilton’s) so skinny that they [the referees] didn’t see it.”

Still in 04, he was benched for two games after he asked for time off to promote the release of his upcoming rap album. “When I decided I wanted to leave the game or take a month off, I’m a grown man,” Artest said. “It doesn’t make me crazy to want to do something that I want to do… You can be anything you want to be….I want to be a musician. :lol I want to own my own label and I want to be MVP and win the championship of the NBA. I feel I can do anything I want to do. I have two goals this year. I want to go platinum or have my girls, Allure, go platinum, and win the NBA championship.”

In November of 2004, Artest ran into the stands at the Palace of Auburn Hills to attack a fan who threw (precious beer) a cup at him. :lol Two days later, he was suspended for the rest of the season. Artest pleaded no contest to assault and battery charges and was sentenced to a year of probation, community service, and anger management counseling. He missed 73 regular-season games and 13 playoff games in total, while losing $4,995,000 in salary.

Wow…on to 2005 we go! Before the season, Artest said: “I’m going to continue playing hard and out of control, like a wild animal that needs to be caged in.” Then, appearing on the cover of Penthouse, he said in the interview that he wanted to box Ben Wallace on pay per view. :lol

In another interview, Artest suggests the Pacers trade him. “If the trade rumors, if there is any truth, maybe it won’t be a bad thing. They probably could win more games without me. … If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up. … I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn’t mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James. There’s a lot of players I wouldn’t mind coming off the bench behind.” Artest also criticized coach Rick Carlisle, who benched him for two games. “I like Coach [Carlisle] as a person, but I don’t like playing for Coach. I like my team, though. … Don’t get it twisted. He’s a very good coach. He knows what he’s doing. I personally don’t like playing for him.”

He was placed on the inactive list, then fined $10,000 for making public statements that he wanted to be traded. He then changed his mind and said everything is OK.:lol

2006 was a modest year for him. His self-titled CD hit the stores and he told the New York Post that his New Year’s resolution is to: “Teach math classes in elementary schools throughout the country. And, of course, I want to sell 10 million records.” :lol

He’s almost traded to the Kings for Peja Stojakovic, but the trade falls through because Artest doesn’t want to play in Sacramento. He then accepts the trade to the Kings after talking to the Maloof brothers.

In 2007, dogs owned by Artest spent 77 nights at a pound because of poor care by Artest, costing him $1,942 in boarding and impound fees. Artest is out indefinitely with Kings after a domestic violence arrest. He apologizes and rejoins the team. Artest is charged with four misdemeanors charges: battery, corporal injury to a spouse, false imprisonment, and dissuading a witness from reporting a crime, stemming from the domestic dispute at his home. He pleads not guilty to misdemeanor domestic dispute charges. He’s ordered to stay at least 100 yards away from his wife and children until further notice.

Ron has a quiet few years in 2008 & 2009, but there’s still a few highlights! How could we forget this one? ”I remember when I used to play back home in the neighborhood there were always games like that. I remember one time, one of my friends, he was playing basketball and they were winning the game. It was so competitive, they broke off a piece of leg from a table and they threw it and it went right through his heart and he died right on the court.” He also asked his Twitter followers what jersey number he should wear for this season. He picked 37 for Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” staying on top of the charts for 37 straight weeks and proceeded to make this rap tribute to MJ.

I rest my case… Ron Artest is unequivocally the most insane basketball player ever. What the hell was he like as a kid? I’m honestly not sure how he’s still in the NBA. But hey, no worries Lakers fans! You’ll be fine! I’m sure he’ll shape up! On second thought…:lol :rollin

21_Blessings
10-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Boom!

The sound of bone spurs exploding within Oden's knees.

tlongII
10-18-2009, 02:14 PM
The sound of bone spurs exploding within Oden's knees.

More likely the sound of Bynum's ligaments snapping.

The_Game
10-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I rest my case… Ron Artest is unequivocally the most insane basketball player ever. What the hell was he like as a kid? I’m honestly not sure how he’s still in the NBA

maybe because he can put up 17, 5 and 3 while playing elite defense..

you are such a tool...keep laughing all you want it will be ron and L.A the ones laughing at your sorry ass when the lakers repeat.

Ariza stats were so good due to the amount of open shots...artest will get the same results.

Allanon
10-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Hello Arizas' 48% in the playoffs to 31% for Artest .. is alot to chalk up to simply being less contested. Also shows Ariza steps up his game for the playoffs while Artests' game took a dump.

Have you seen the games or are you commenting from boxscores? Ariza's shots were WIDE OPEN. Yes, being contested versus wide-open shots is very different.

What has he done? You dare ask?

Ron has a quiet few years in 2008 & 2009, but there’s still a few highlights! How could we forget this one? ”I remember when I used to play back home in the neighborhood there were always games like that. I remember one time, one of my friends, he was playing basketball and they were winning the game. It was so competitive, they broke off a piece of leg from a table and they threw it and it went right through his heart and he died right on the court.” He also asked his Twitter followers what jersey number he should wear for this season. He picked 37 for Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” staying on top of the charts for 37 straight weeks and proceeded to make this rap tribute to MJ.

I rest my case… Ron Artest is unequivocally the most insane basketball player ever. What the hell was he like as a kid? I’m honestly not sure how he’s still in the NBA. But hey, no worries Lakers fans! You’ll be fine! I’m sure he’ll shape up! On second thought…:lol :rollin

So this "powder keg" that's going to blow up the Lakers has done nothing wrong the last two years according to the author and he has to stretch to find some dirt on Ron?

So "Powder Keg" Ron Ron
1) Told a story about getting stabbed with a table leg
2) Chose 37 as his Jersey number in homage to MJ (singer)
3) Rapped about Michael Jackson

And this is going to blow up the Lakers?

Wow, what a "powder keg ready to explode at any moment". Golf must seem like a contact sport in your world.

I agree, you should rest your case, you don't have one. :lmao

TJastal
10-18-2009, 02:35 PM
maybe because he can put up 17, 5 and 3 while playing elite defense..

you are such a tool...keep laughing all you want it will be ron and L.A the ones laughing at your sorry ass when the lakers repeat.

Ariza stats were so good due to the amount of open shots...artest will get the same results.

FACT: Ariza upped his 3pt% almost 15% in the playoffs getting the same open looks. Artest's 3pt% fell off the earth last year in the playoffs.

I'm a tool for stating facts like these? Meh.

TJastal
10-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Have you seen the games or are you commenting from boxscores? Ariza's shots were WIDE OPEN. Yes, being contested versus wide-open shots is very different.

So this "powder keg" that's going to blow up the Lakers has done nothing wrong the last two years according to the author and he has to stretch to find some dirt on Ron?

So "Powder Keg" Ron Ron
1) Told a story about getting stabbed with a table leg
2) Chose 37 as his Jersey number in homage to MJ
3) Rapped about Michael Jackson

And this is going to blow up the Lakers?

Wow, what a "powder keg ready to explode at any moment". Golf must seem like a contact sport in your world.

I agree, you should rest your case, you don't have one. :lmao

The only thing this proves is he's due... even past due.. for another meltdown.

Keep thinking those positive thoughts Allanon. It's gonna be hilarious as hell when Ron-ron's frustrations at trying to fit in and not being able to start venting out in crazy antics.

Allanon
10-18-2009, 02:59 PM
The only thing this proves is he's due... even past due.. for another meltdown.

Keep thinking those positive thoughts Allanon. It's gonna be hilarious as hell when Ron-ron's frustrations at trying to fit in and not being able to start venting out in crazy antics.

Ah, so now he's due for "another" meltdown.

Look at your list...which one of those incidents you listed was a "meltdown"?

TJastal
10-18-2009, 03:03 PM
"Ron has never really been involved in a real legitimate anger management program. He needs to begin with a comprehensive assessment of stress, anger, communication and emotional intelligence. The assessment will provide a map of where he is on a wide range of subissues and provide a guide for skill enhancement.
Luckily, all of the approved programs in Los Angeles County will provide this service."

George

The_Game
10-18-2009, 04:43 PM
FACT: Ariza upped his 3pt% almost 15% in the playoffs getting the same open looks. Artest's 3pt% fell off the earth last year in the playoffs.

I'm a tool for stating facts like these? Meh.

getting the same looks? :lol:lol wow you really are a moron. artest had defenders all over him..ariza was basically a spot up shooter who was WIDE OPEN most of the time

artest % was bound to be bad when he has somebody on him all the time.

21_Blessings
10-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Ariza did get plenty of open looks but he was consistently hitting 3's with a hand in his face during the playoffs.

But it really was just a hot streak. Ariza will drop back down to the low 30s this season. Bank on it.

iggypop123
10-18-2009, 07:38 PM
i think everyone forgets ariza was trash from the 3 during the jazz series. but like everyone its about what have you done for me lately, and in the finals he was smoking hot

21_Blessings
10-18-2009, 07:55 PM
i think everyone forgets ariza was trash from the 3 during the jazz series.

No he wasn't.

Allanon
10-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Bynum vs Clips tonight (ie Kaman, Blake Griffin, D. Jordan)

20 pts, 13 rebounds, 2 blocks.

Sidenote, WTF was up with Shannon Brown? 20 points?

Allanon
10-19-2009, 05:50 AM
LOL it's now time that you're supposed to be sleeping, or LA isn't where you currently live?

Just got back from clubbin and feeling buzzed, can't sleep yet.

21_Blessings
10-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Sidenote, WTF was up with Shannon Brown? 20 points?

Brown put up some bad shots though. Then got real hot in the 4th quarter with Morrison and Farmar actively set both of them up.

Farmar played really, really well last night.

Sasha is screwed. Brown is going to gobble up all his minutes. He's the 6'3 version of Trevor Ariza. He's proving to be a much better SG than a triangle PG. Farmar and Brown backcourt is fun to watch and they outplayed Baron/Gordon down the stretch last night.

Culburn369
10-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Brown put up some bad shots though. Then got real hot in the 4th quarter with Morrison and Farmar actively set both of them up.

Farmar played really, really well last night.

Sasha is screwed. Brown is going to gobble up all his minutes. He's the 6'3 version of Trevor Ariza. He's proving to be a much better SG than a triangle PG. Farmar and Brown backcourt is fun to watch and they outplayed Baron/Gordon down the stretch last night.

Splendid report, 21. Easily visualized.

Donkeybong
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
I dont know about gobbling up sasha's minutes. Sasha's stroke has been looking fantastic and he's doing a decent job on defense again. I think the minutes will be split up pretty evenly. Also, if Morrison finds his stroke like he did last night, look out... because we're finally going to have some shooters that spread the floor, unlike last season where we relied mostly on our dribble penetration and post play.

Mike D
10-19-2009, 10:38 AM
The return of Bynum to solid form is encouraging, but he still has a little ways to go. Positive signs though.

LakeShow
10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Bynum's looking good on offense but needs work on Defense.