PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Shaq says reading Spurs' return is fundamental

duncan228
10-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Shaq says reading Spurs' return is fundamental (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Shaq_says_reading_Spurs_return_is_fundamental.html )
Mike Monroe

Cavaliers center Shaquille O'Neal has little doubt the Spurs will be back in the thick of the Western Conference title chase this season, but his belief is based less on the team's offseason additions than the condition of the player who has been a Spur the longest.

Tim Duncan's summer of rest, O'Neal said before Friday's preseason game against the Spurs, will make the difference for a team that was ousted in the first round in April.

“Yes, yes, they have (gotten back in the Western title chase),” O'Neal said. “You know they're always going to be there. Last year didn't count for them, because Mr. Fundamental had those knee problems. But he got a lot of rest, just like I got a lot of rest. I know they're going to be ready.”

O'Neal, 37 years old and in his 17th season, said he sees his role akin to that of David Robinson after Duncan joined the Spurs in 1995.

“It's a different time for me,” he said. “LeBron (James) is going to have the ball most of the time, and when he gives it up, it's our job to make him look good.

“David did it for Tim Duncan, so I've got to do it. I did it for D. Wade (Miami's Dwyane Wade, O'Neal's teammate on the 2006 NBA champion Heat). I can do it for LeBron.”

H1N1 23? The Cavaliers went through a flu scare this week after James was diagnosed with what may have been a case of H1N1 influenza, better known as swine flu.

But James was back on the court Friday. He had 22 points and six rebounds in just 19 minutes and 51 seconds.

In addition to James, five other Cavs players have experienced flu symptoms. None of them, including James, have positively been diagnosed with H1N1 flu, but everyone in the Cavaliers' traveling party was given doses of Tamiflu, a drug that has proven effective in treating H1N1.

O'Neal joked that he has avoided the flu because he was born tougher than his teammates.

“I don't get sick,” he said. “I'm the son of a military man. We have top-secret access to Tamiflu, and other stuff.”

Spurs players have remained healthy since training camp started, but are acutely aware of the risks of this flu season.

manu_maniac
10-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Damn, I didn't know Timmy's been in the league for 14 years.

angelbelow
10-17-2009, 12:41 AM

Yea time flies..

Blackjack
10-17-2009, 12:46 AM

He hasn't.

'97-'98 was his first year and the upcoming year is '09-'10.

Still, it is crazy to think that the end is as close as it is...

duncan228
10-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Yeah, this season will be Duncan's 13th. It does seem like it's gone fast.

J.T.
10-17-2009, 01:23 AM
O'Neal, 37 years old and in his 17th season, said he sees his role akin to that of David Robinson after Duncan joined the Spurs in 1995.

I mean

I know express news writers don't exactly have the best statisticians to get their info from

But how the fuck do you forget when Tim Duncan was drafted if your only job is to write about the Spurs

phyzik
10-17-2009, 01:24 AM
He hasn't.

'97-'98 was his first year and the upcoming year is '09-'10.

Still, it is crazy to think that the end is as close as it is...

I know it's a cliche but damn, it really feels just like yesterday when we got Duncan. :depressed

I have a feeling he will go out on top, just like D-Rob did.... Right at the very top holding the LOB. :toast

Fermixalot
10-17-2009, 01:28 AM
I have a feeling he will go out on top, just like D-Rob did.... Right at the very top holding the LOB. :toast

There is no other way for him to go out. For all he's done for the team, its the very least we can do for him.

booonkers
10-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Shaq has always shown so much respect to TD. Props to him. Kinda surprising how he likes trashing other stars.

Chillen
10-17-2009, 04:34 AM
Shaq has always shown so much respect to TD. Props to him. Kinda surprising how he likes trashing other stars.

Simply put Shaq knows that Tim Duncan is the best power forward of all-time and one of the best NBA players of this decade and sure fire future HOF, you can't trash that, even Shaq can't do it and he won't, he respects the hell out of Tim Duncan and admires him I am sure.

Dro210
10-17-2009, 05:21 AM
Simply put Shaq knows that Tim Duncan is the best power forward of all-time and one of the best NBA players of this decade and sure fire future HOF, you can't trash that, even Shaq can't do it and he won't, he respects the hell out of Tim Duncan and admires him I am sure.

For real.... and I'm sure Timmy respects Shaq just the same

Greatest PF and C respectively to ever play the game imo... Russell is the greatest champion, Wilt was a beast, Hakeem was great, I love Dave. They're not Shaq tho. If those guys had to go toe-to-toe with Shaq for the length of their careers, he would have owned them, no question in my mind. I'm young, but I've seen tape. He's too big and too skilled.

I feel blessed to have seen the players I've seen in my lifetime. Magic, Michael, Lebron, Timmy, Shaq.... Bring your 5.

duncanCOSTARICA
10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Good respect between both players....shaq is a trash talker but when it comes to duncan he keeps his mouth shut....very different respect shown to kobe by the BIG PRETZEL for example

raspsa
10-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Shaq seems to have gotten a new lease on life. He looked terrible in his last season with the Heat and the transfer to Phoenix seemed to rejuvenate him. Got to hand it to the Suns trainers, they seem to know their stuff. It will be interesting to see how he works out with the Cavs.. not bad for someone who I thought would have retired by now.

SenorSpur
10-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Shaq says reading Spurs' return is fundamental?

Too bad Shaq's reading comprehension isn't fundamental.

Agloco
10-17-2009, 01:39 PM
I mean

I know express news writers don't exactly have the best statisticians to get their info from

But how the fuck do you forget when Tim Duncan was drafted if your only job is to write about the Spurs

Calm down spazmatic.......

It couldn't have possibly been a typo right? :rolleyes

TIMMYD!
10-17-2009, 02:29 PM
That's why Tim being healthy is the key to success.

manu_maniac
10-17-2009, 04:42 PM
I mean

Yeah, that was my point, lol.

pawe
10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Shaq doesnt respect anyone, his ego is so big that he should give it a nickname too. Remember that bitch Shaq ignoring a helpful gesture when TD reached out his hand to help him up making TD look like an idiot.

narmerguy
10-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Shaq doesnt respect anyone, his ego is so big that he should give it a nickname too. Remember that bitch Shaq ignoring a helpful gesture when TD reached out his hand to help him up making Shaq look like an idiot.

Fixed

SenorSpur
10-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Shaq doesnt respect anyone, his ego is so big that he should give it a nickname too. Remember that bitch Shaq ignoring a helpful gesture when TD reached out his hand to help him up making TD look like an idiot.

Certainly do remember that tasteless gesture. Of course what do you expect from a guy that manufactured jealousy against D-Rob, while in high school!

He's got a huge ego - that's true. Talks out of both sides of his mouth, too. Told the NBA crew just a few days ago that he "no longer concerns himself with who is the best center in the East. It's an irrevelent label." Sure dude. It's irrelevent to you because you are no longer in that category. The fact of the matter is he's obssessed with his legacy.

Dude is a very insecure, immature, jack-ass to boot. How about the Shaq "unplugged" rap on Kobe a year or so ago? Dude tries to hard to be humorous and many times he comes off as childish.