PDA

View Full Version : Things have Changed between Spurs, Cavs

#2!
10-17-2009, 04:30 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/10/17/cavs.spurs/index.html
In blink of an eye, things have changed between Cavs, Spurs

Posted Oct 17 2009 12:52AM
SAN ANTONIO -- One day the little brother is standing on his tip-toes trying to get the top of his head to reach to your elbows. He's walking in your shadow, dogging your every step. He's using a pencil to make lines on the wall to measure his growth.

Then one day you turn around and he's staring you straight in the eyes. Oh my, how things have changed.

Was it just two seasons ago that the Cavaliers seemed to sneak their way past the security guards and into the NBA Finals? Could only 28 months have passed since LeBron James' virtual one-man gang was routinely slapped in four straight by Tim Duncan and the Spurs?
Now as the 2009-10 season openers draw increasingly near for the once and perhaps future kings, you might not be able to slide a razor blade into the gap between San Antonio and Cleveland.
Talk about nuclear proliferation. The Spurs add Richard Jefferson, Antonio McDyess, Theo Ratliff and DeJuan Blair over the summer, while the Cavs pick up Shaquille O'Neal, Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon and tacked on Mo Williams a year ago.

Back then, the 2007 Finals went into the books as the least-watched, maybe most one-sided, least interesting in history. But if the same clubs that stretched their muscles through Friday night's 105-98 preseason win by the Spurs meet again next June, it would be two Goliaths with no David. Certainly a fairer fight.

"Absolutely," said James. "We're just a much better franchise. We were caught in a situation where the Spurs definitely were a much better team and we all knew that after the fact.

"We've grown as a franchise. I've grown as a player. We're much better team. We're more of an elite team every single game. We go out there and every single team we play, we know we can win."

Back then, the Spurs were the yardstick that everyone used to measure themselves. Now it's the Cavs coming off a league-best 65-17 regular-season record a year ago and the Spurs trying to pick themselves up after a rare first-round playoff elimination.

"Two years ago, we felt, if Manu [Ginobili] is healthy in the Lakers series, we were competitive," said Spurs general manager R.C. Buford. "But I think it was obvious in the last year that several teams, including Boston, Cleveland, Orlando, L.A. had all changed their teams and improved significantly and we had to take big steps to match that. Dallas, Denver, those were all different teams than we were at the end of the 2008 season. Chauncey (Billups) in Denver, (Pau) Gasol in L.A., Boston with what they did, LeBron and Mo Williams in Cleveland. Orlando was better. So we had to make a significant change to our team. We couldn't tease ourselves and think we were good enough anymore.

"We made changes. Big improvements, we hope. But you look at Cleveland and they've added one of the greatest players of all time and they have two more years under the belt of the guy who maybe will become the greatest of all time. I think that says a lot about them, tells you who they are, how good they can be. Throw in guys like Mo Williams, Anthony Parker and Jamario Moon and they don't take a backseat to anybody."

There are five Spurs holdovers -- Duncan, Ginobili, Tony Parker, Michael Finley and Matt Bonner -- from the 2007 Finals. There are only four Cavs remaining from the experience -- James, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Anderson Varejao and Daniel Gibson -- yet they still form much of the core. They wear the scars of failing to get back to the championship round each of the last two years, especially last season's shocking loss in the Eastern Conference Finals to Orlando, and show the signs of growth.

"We've all matured, certainly myself," said Cavs coach Mike Brown. "It was quite an experience for all of us to go through. At least on paper, we're a better team I think right now...The guys that we had in our second year to get to The Finals, I applaud them, because they left it out on the floor every time they stepped there. We ran into a veteran team that was primed and ready at that time to win it."

The Cavs were ahead of their time, not yet ripe enough to produce a championship vintage.

"You've got to give my guys credit for getting there, Brown said. "Because the one thing I preach from Day One is that it doesn't matter how much talent you have, how old or young you are, especially if you've been in the league a couple of years, because you have a feel for how the officials blow the whistles and how different players play. ... Any time you defend, you're gonna give yourself a chance to win, especially knowing that you have a great player like LeBron that can go make plays at the end of the game for himself or for others."

Now though, they're no longer LeBron and the Seven Dwarfs, looking for one guy to make every play at the end of every game. Not with Shaq, Williams and a bench that suddenly looks like the deep end of the pool.

"It's fun," O'Neal said. "I'm just trying towards the end of my career win one or two more. I got traded to a damn good team. These guys won 65 games last year. It's a good fit for me. It's a good fit for LeBron. Hopefully we can get it done."

Just as the additions made in the other locker room should be a good fit for the Spurs, who've put themselves back into the mix in the West.

"Yes. Yes, they have," Shaq said. "They always are gonna be there. Last year didn't really count for them because Mr. Fundamental had those knee problems. But he got a lot of rest and I know they're gonna be ready."

Two seasons ago, it was a lopsided mismatch. But by next June, it could be a classic. That's how it is sometimes with growth. In the blink of an eye, everything's changed.

Fran Blinebury has covered the NBA since 1977. You can e-mail him here. ([email protected])

Rummpd
10-17-2009, 07:28 AM
This would be the best playoff match up for purists of them all and even thought the media would hate it - it would be a classic and probably go 7 games with my money on Manu time winning it at the end!

Danny.Zhu
10-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Unfortunately, I don't see Cavs make the final this year. Celtics and Magic are better.

The only thing they can count on to beat the other two is the new travelling rule I guess...

tmtcsc
10-17-2009, 09:11 AM
I'd like to see us play the Celtics.

ducks
10-17-2009, 10:24 AM
This would be the best playoff match up for purists of them all and even thought the media would hate it - it would be a classic and probably go 7 games with my money on Manu time winning it at the end!

you really think he would be healthy in a game 7 in the finals

Manufan909
10-17-2009, 11:09 AM
What is the new travelling rule? Crab-dribbling is allowed now?

SenorSpur
10-17-2009, 01:45 PM
What is the new travelling rule? Crab-dribbling is allowed now?

:lol

Barkley was on our local ESPN Dallas affiliate on yesterday. He stated how disgusted he is with NBA for "changing the rules to accomodate bad players with poor fundamentals, as opposed to enforcing the rules so that players abide by the basic fundamentals of the sport."

itzsoweezee
10-17-2009, 02:43 PM
LOL

#1) It took the game of Paul Pierce's life to eliminate James, ON PIERCE'S HOME FLOOR, in a game 7. The Celtics are 2 years older now. Since that time, the Cavs have acquired Mo Williams, Shaquille O'Neal as well as other very solid role players... including one of the Celtics own, Leon Powe. The Celtics acquired no one of note besides Rasheed and lost several KEY pieces, the most notable, James Posey... who was the only player that is capable of guarding James. You have to assume 2 things because of all this: 1) The Cavs are going to have home court. 2) The Cavs aren't even worried about Boston, and they will probably be lucky to win a game vs Cleveland.

#2) Orlando was a lot like Dallas is to the Spurs, just a bad matchup. They had a SF playing PF and they could get away with it because Cleveland didn't have big men to punish them down low, and Howard could control the glass by himself. Plus, they had no one to guard Howard that the officials respected. Now, both of those problems are gone. Is VC better than Hedo? Absolutely, miles better. But... he isn't a matchup problem like a 6'10" Hedo is. Which is the only reason why Orlando won the series, bad matchups. Now the Cavs have someone to guard Howard, and Hedo is no more. Which means the Magic's chances are no more.

cavs still don't have anyone other than lebron. it's the same problem as always, no one on that team other than lebron can score.

mo williams is fucking garbage. just because lebron's whining got williams on the all star team, doesn't mean williams is any good. varejao is uncoordinated and no threat. shaq is old; he's basically a role player now. anthony parker is alright, that's about it.

lebron's abilities will still let the cavs dominate in the regular season. but cavs are not better than a healthy celtics or magic team.

10-17-2009, 03:08 PM
I'd like to see us play the Celtics.
although that would be a great 7 game series, a healthy celtics would probably be the toughest matchup against the spurs. perkins, garnett, and wallace will give duncan a lot of trouble. rondo, as overrated as he is, is at least an above average defender at point guard. pierce and allen are more than adequate matchups against ginobili and jefferson. celtics also have a pretty deep playoff bench in davis, perkins, daniels, and house.

peskypesky
10-18-2009, 12:26 AM
although that would be a great 7 game series, a healthy celtics would probably be the toughest matchup against the spurs. Perkins, garnett, and wallace will give duncan a lot of trouble. Rondo, as overrated as he is, is at least an above average defender at point guard. Pierce and allen are more than adequate matchups against ginobili and jefferson. Celtics also have a pretty deep playoff bench in davis, perkins, daniels, and house.

qft

Nathan Explosion
10-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Was it just two seasons ago that the Cavaliers seemed to sneak their way past the security guards and into the NBA Finals? Could only 28 months have passed since LeBron James' virtual one-man gang was routinely slapped in four straight by Tim Duncan and the Spurs?
Now as the 2009-10 season openers draw increasingly near for the once and perhaps future kings, you might not be able to slide a razor blade into the gap between San Antonio and Cleveland.

Fail.

The Cavs were still a one man show last year. Orlando exposed them. Cleveland ran the Lebron offense. Give the ball to Lebron and get out of the way. One man won't beat a team like the Spurs.

You see, the advantage that Orlando had was a tall SG playing a SG who was 6'1". Well, our SG is 6'6" so the advantage is still there. The Cavs have no one to guard Duncan, Parker, Gino and Jefferson. Lebron can guard Gino or Jefferson, but not both.

And the writer forgot who was Finals MVP that year, Tony Parker. The Cavs still haven't solved that matchup.

Lebron could go for 40 a game and the Cavs would still lose the series.

TDMVPDPOY
10-18-2009, 01:18 AM

he has a higher chance of stuffin up the last play or being injured

sheriee84
10-18-2009, 04:09 AM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/10/17/cavs.spurs/index.html
In blink of an eye, things have changed between Cavs, Spurs

OMG!!! Does anyone else remember the media crap right before the finals that year?
All I heard about was how the Cavs were going to be the "Answer" for the Spurs...
Then, not even 2 hrs after game 4, a TNT commentator (the same ones who said the above comments) "The Cleveland Cavaliers had no business being in the NBA Finals"... :bang

barbacoataco
10-18-2009, 11:43 AM
How are the Cavs the reigning NBA royalty when they didn't even make the Finals the last 2 years?

Manufan909
10-18-2009, 11:47 AM
How are the Cavs the reigning NBA royalty when they didn't even make the Finals the last 2 years?

And how can they be the measuring stick, when they were spanked by the Magic, who in turn got spanked by the Lakers? Hell, I think even the Nuggets could have won in 6 games against Team James.

jimjule
10-18-2009, 12:06 PM
It might be an interesting finals, but it won't happen. The Spurs are the best bet to get past LA, but Cleveland can't possibly get past Boston. The only thing that could alter that is injuries. That throws all teams down the tubes. If Kobe gets seriously hurt, LA can forget it, If Manu or Duncan go down the Spurs won't either. If KG gets hurt again, then Boston won't get there. Imagine what would happen to Cleveland if James were to blow out his knee. But I think the Spurs have the deepest bench and therefore could best survive the loss of one of their top three. If all teams are healthy then it will be Boston out of the east and LA or SA from the west. The media would prefer to see LA vs Boston because of the advertising $$$, but basketball fans could care less about that. The question I have is --"Does the big dollar signs make the NBA front office make decisions that would favor the big television market cities? I wouldn't be surprised. Referees don't have to get involved in gambling syndicates to make cash on the side with the others like the media having such a big dollar interest. And don't try to tell me that the media is honest. Individual reporters might be, but the corporations they work for certainly are not.

#2!
10-18-2009, 01:56 PM
It might be an interesting finals, but it won't happen. The Spurs are the best bet to get past LA, but Cleveland can't possibly get past Boston. The only thing that could alter that is injuries. That throws all teams down the tubes. If Kobe gets seriously hurt, LA can forget it, If Manu or Duncan go down the Spurs won't either. If KG gets hurt again, then Boston won't get there. Imagine what would happen to Cleveland if James were to blow out his knee. But I think the Spurs have the deepest bench and therefore could best survive the loss of one of their top three. If all teams are healthy then it will be Boston out of the east and LA or SA from the west. The media would prefer to see LA vs Boston because of the advertising $$$, but basketball fans could care less about that. The question I have is --"Does the big dollar signs make the NBA front office make decisions that would favor the big television market cities? I wouldn't be surprised. Referees don't have to get involved in gambling syndicates to make cash on the side with the others like the media having such a big dollar interest. And don't try to tell me that the media is honest. Individual reporters might be, but the corporations they work for certainly are not.

Welcome to spurstalk, you'll soon learn that no one gives a shit to read this, but feel comforted in the fact that this is what most people sound like when they get here.

Obstructed_View
10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Welcome to spurstalk, you'll soon learn that no one gives a shit to read this, but feel comforted in the fact that this is what most people sound like when they get here.

I skip right by gigantic paragraphs where someone clearly refused to break their opinion into separate, coherent thoughts.

This article is funny, considering that the Cavs haven't exactly done anything since the finals to prove that they've stepped out of anyone's shadow. In my opinion, they have to at least get as far as the '07 team to even make a case for having stepped out of their own shadow.

SouthTexasRancher
10-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I would still like to see Shaq play here for one season and he and Tim win a ring together. Shaq coming back home to put a bookend opposite his high school state championship at Cole. Sort of like Russell and Chamberlin playing their last season together and winning a ring together. Oh well Tim and Shaq are going to be remembered as two of the very best big men to ever play in the NBA.

Nathan Explosion
10-19-2009, 12:42 AM
I skip right by gigantic paragraphs where someone clearly refused to break their opinion into separate, coherent thoughts.

That wasn't that big of a paragraph. On my old laptop that paragraph would look huge (screen resolution 1024x768).

On my desktop (screen resolution 1440x900) it looks like a longer than average paragraph, but nothing too daunting.

Hell, on this laptop (1280x800) it looks okay. I guess some people are way too lazy. I mean, I know what you mean when people type long posts without breaking them up, but that was hardly a major error on the poster's behalf.

Manufan909
10-19-2009, 12:45 AM

This article is funny, considering that the Cavs haven't exactly done anything since the finals to prove that they've stepped out of anyone's shadow. In my opinion, they have to at least get as far as the '07 team to even make a case for having stepped out of their own shadow.

I read it, not a bad first post. Beat mine, even though I can't remember if I met your standards.:lol

Obstructed_View
10-19-2009, 01:06 AM
That wasn't that big of a paragraph. On my old laptop that paragraph would look huge (screen resolution 1024x768).

On my desktop (screen resolution 1440x900) it looks like a longer than average paragraph, but nothing too daunting.

Hell, on this laptop (1280x800) it looks okay. I guess some people are way too lazy. I mean, I know what you mean when people type long posts without breaking them up, but that was hardly a major error on the poster's behalf.

I don't do it because I'm a mean person, I do it because I have trouble processing it unless it's broken up, which is why I assume we're taught from a relatively young age to write that way.

I don't typically search for typos or misspellings in anyone's posts besides my own, and wasn't trying to be a dick, I was simply confirming that the person that originally pointed it out was not the only person to skip over the post because it just looked like too much of a train-wreck to sort out.

If someone's not going to make the effort in writing it, they simply shouldn't expect everyone to make the effort to read it. It's just not that hard to hit the enter key twice once in a while, and new posters with something to contribute will learn from the feedback.

The above was originally all one paragraph, and I made it simpler to process just by breaking it up with no other editing necessary.

Manufan909
10-19-2009, 01:14 AM
I try to keep my posts short, since my paragraphs are normal length. That leads to some of my posts looking like essays.

#2!
10-19-2009, 06:07 AM

Actually I did read it and was saying that people would just pass over it because of content as well as format. The post consisted of conspiracy theories, ref bashing, media bashing, things not really worth rehashing. It also says that the spurs are the deepest team which even on paper(all we have right now) is a bit of a stretch.

So even though I might have expressed dissatisfaction with the post I was mostly just saying "It doesn't take much for people to overlook your opinions when you have such a low post count, so be thoughtful while writing."