PDA

View Full Version : Casspi Denies Report He Was Sniper For Israel

duncan228
10-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Casspi Denies Report He Was Sniper For Israel

Casspi, 21, first was noticed by the Kings when he played for the World Select Team at the 2007 Nike Hoop Summit in Memphis, Tenn. They were impressed by his athleticism and smarts.

But Casspi wasn’t ready to enter the NBA then, primarily because he was busy serving his required three years in the Israeli army. He was discharged shortly before last June’s draft.

“He was a sniper in the Israeli army, so how much pressure can be on him now?” said Scotty Sterling, the Kings’ scouting director. “He wasn’t in combat, but he said they taught him to shoot a rifle. But he said he’d rather shoot a basketball than a rifle.”

Casspi quickly corrects the record, saying he wasn’t a sniper. Still, the story has been making the rounds.

“I don’t know where that rumor started,” Casspi said. “I wasn’t a sniper. It’s not true. I was in basic training. But I did hold a gun, and I shot a lot.”

Casspi said basketball players aren’t generally sent into combat. But he had friends who went to war.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/sports/article/israeli_omri_casspi_set_for_nba_debut_kings_200910 14/

xellos88330
10-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Omri, Israeli sniper. Sounds pretty cool.

Allanon
10-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Being in a conflict as old as biblical times, learning to shoot is probably a way of life in Israel/Palestine.

I don't see any problems even if he was a sniper defending his homeland. I wouldn't hesitate in killing somebody who is trying to kill me. Things happen and you do what life dictates.

Pero
10-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't see any problems even if he was a sniper defending his homeland.

:lol

Baseline
10-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Being in a conflict as old as biblical times, learning to shoot is probably a way of life in Israel/Palestine.

I don't see any problems even if he was a sniper defending his homeland. I wouldn't hesitate in killing somebody who is trying to kill me. Things happen and you do what life dictates.

WWKBD - What would Kobe Bryant do?

Rape somebody who was trying to rape him?

Or rape somebody who was giving him a tour of the facility?

Allanon
10-17-2009, 02:01 PM

What does Kobe have to do with an Israeli sniper who wants a chance to play basketball? I fail to see the relevance, please clarify.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Everyone besides Allanon is being fuckin retarded. He was a sniper for his country.....neat. If there was an American sniper who tried to play in the NBA ESPN would be whoring him as an American hero and role model every time he played well.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-17-2009, 02:32 PM
So so you ignorant assholes know.....military service is a requirement for all Israeli men.....no, it's not a draft, all Israeli men are required to serve in the military for a period of time.

BlackBellamy
10-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I'd bet that sniper training would be decent amount of advantage on the court. You have to have good vision, and you have to react quickly when you get a clean shot at your target. (anyone ever see 'Enemy at the Gates'? Fuckin' LOVE that movie). Plus, this means another member of the House of Jacob in the NBA. '09/'10 mukkafudders! We taken this shit ova'!

benefactor
10-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Everyone besides Allanon is being fuckin retarded. He was a sniper for his country.....neat. If there was an American sniper who tried to play in the NBA ESPN would be whoring him as an American hero and role model every time he played well.
....THIS.

If he was in the US military we would have to sit through the same tired Iraq footage every time he walked on the court. The NBA would exploit the hell out of him because they are always looking for some sort of way to pimp a good image for themselves. I don't think he would even need to play well or even be much of an impact player.

Culburn369
10-17-2009, 03:27 PM
...we elected a guy named Hussein Obama U.S. President. Anything is possible.

TheSullyMonster
10-17-2009, 06:41 PM
So so you ignorant assholes know.....military service is a requirement for all Israeli men.....no, it's not a draft, all Israeli men are required to serve in the military for a period of time.

How is it NOT a draft? It isn't a volunteer army.

pauls931
10-17-2009, 10:19 PM
How is it NOT a draft? It isn't a volunteer army.

Uh a draft involves picking people, everyone has to go serve in Israel's case. Norway is the same way...

cobbler
10-17-2009, 10:27 PM

18 years of age for compulsory (Jews, Druzes) and voluntary (Christians, Muslims, Circassians) military service; both sexes are obligated to military service; conscript service obligation - 36 months for enlisted men, 21 months for enlisted women, 48 months for officers; reserve obligation to age 41-51 (men), 24 (women)

cobbler
10-17-2009, 10:34 PM

How does one become such an ignorant ass as yourself? What a waste of oxygen.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-17-2009, 10:34 PM
18 years of age for compulsory (Jews, Druzes) and voluntary (Christians, Muslims, Circassians) military service; both sexes are obligated to military service; conscript service obligation - 36 months for enlisted men, 21 months for enlisted women, 48 months for officers; reserve obligation to age 41-51 (men), 24 (women)

Thank you....I didn't know the exact info.....it just shows that criticizing the guy for this is dumb.

cobbler
10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
I'd bet that sniper training would be decent amount of advantage on the court. You have to have good vision, and you have to react quickly when you get a clean shot at your target. (anyone ever see 'Enemy at the Gates'? Fuckin' LOVE that movie). Plus, this means another member of the House of Jacob in the NBA. '09/'10 mukkafudders! We taken this shit ova'!

Was a great movie. And we think we have it rough.

cobbler
10-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Thank you....I didn't know the exact info.....it just shows that criticizing the guy for this is dumb.

Agreed... He gets nothing but respect from me for service to his country.

Chieflion
10-18-2009, 01:41 AM
So what if he was a sniper? In most small countries, military service is a requirement. It is not as if he was working with some secret undercover agency.