PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: R. Limbaugh-The Race Card, Football and Me

spursncowboys
10-17-2009, 07:41 PM
The Race Card, Football and Me

My critics would have you believe no conservative meets NFL 'standards.'

By RUSH LIMBAUGH (http://online.wsj.com/search/search_center.html?KEYWORDS=RUSH+LIMBAUGH&ARTICLESEARCHQUERY_PARSER=bylineAND)

David Checketts, an investor and owner of sports teams, approached me in late May about investing in the St. Louis Rams football franchise. As a football fan, I was intrigued. I invited him to my home where we discussed it further. Even after informing him that some people might try to make an issue of my participation, Mr. Checketts said he didn't much care. I accepted his offer.

It didn't take long before my name was selectively leaked to the media as part of the Checketts investment group. Shortly thereafter, the media elicited comments from the likes of Al Sharpton. In 1998 Mr. Sharpton was found guilty of defamation and ordered to pay $65,000 for falsely accusing a New York prosecutor of rape in the 1987 Tawana Brawley case. He also played a leading role in the 1991 Crown Heights riot (he called neighborhood Jews "diamond merchants") and 1995 Freddie's Fashion Mart riot.
View Full Image

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-ER616_Limbau_D_20091016183519.jpg
Associated Press Rush Limbaugh

http://s.wsj.net/img/BTN_insetClose.gif
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-ER616_Limbau_G_20091016183519.jpg

Not to be outdone, Jesse Jackson, whose history includes anti-Semitic speech (in 1984 he referred to Jews as "Hymies" and to New York City as "Hymietown" in a Washington Post interview) chimed in. He found me unfit to be associated with the NFL. I was too divisive and worse. I was accused of once supporting slavery and having praised Martin Luther King Jr.'s murderer, James Earl Ray.

Next came writers in the sports world, like the Washington Post's Michael Wilbon. He wrote this gem earlier this week: "I'm not going to try and give specific examples of things Limbaugh has said over the years because I screwed up already doing that, repeating a quote attributed to Limbaugh (about slavery) which he has told me he simply did not say and does not reflect his feelings. I take him at his word. . . . "

Mr. Wilbon wasn't alone. Numerous sportswriters, CNN, MSNBC, among others, falsely attributed to me statements I had never made. Their sources, as best I can tell, were Wikipedia and each other. But the Wikipedia post was based on a fabrication printed in a book that also lacked any citation to an actual source.

I never said I supported slavery and I never praised James Earl Ray. How sick would that be? Just as sick as those who would use such outrageous slanders against me or anyone else who never even thought such things. Mr. Wilbon refuses to take responsibility for his poison pen, writing instead that he will take my word that I did not make these statements; others, like Rick Sanchez of CNN, essentially used the same sleight-of-hand.
The sports media elicited comments from a handful of players, none of whom I can recall ever meeting. Among other things, at least one said he would never play for a team I was involved in given my racial views. My racial views? You mean, my belief in a colorblind society where every individual is treated as a precious human being without regard to his race? Where football players should earn as much as they can and keep as much as they can, regardless of race? Those controversial racial views?

The NFL players union boss, DeMaurice Smith, jumped in. A Washington criminal defense lawyer, Democratic Party supporter and Barack Obama donor, he sent a much publicized email to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell saying that it was important for the league to reject discrimination and hatred.

When Mr. Goodell was asked about me, he suggested that my 2003 comment criticizing the media's coverage of Donovan McNabb—in which I said the media was cheerleading Mr. McNabb because they wanted a successful black quarterback—fell short of the NFL's "high standard." High standard? Half a decade later, the media would behave the same way about the presidential candidacy of Mr. Obama.

Having brought me into his group, Mr. Checketts now wanted a way out. He asked me to resign. I told him no way. I had done nothing wrong. I had not uttered the words these people were putting in my mouth. And I would not bow to their libels and pressure. He would have to drop me from the group. A few days later, he did.

As I explained on my radio show, this spectacle is bigger than I am on several levels. There is a contempt in the news business, including the sportswriter community, for conservatives that reflects the blind hatred espoused by Messrs. Sharpton and Jackson. "Racism" is too often their sledgehammer. And it is being used to try to keep citizens who don't share the left's agenda from participating in the full array of opportunities this nation otherwise affords each of us. It was on display many years ago in an effort to smear Clarence Thomas with racist stereotypes and keep him off the Supreme Court. More recently, it was employed against patriotic citizens who attended town-hall meetings and tea-party protests.
These intimidation tactics are working and spreading, and they are a cancer on our society.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Many conservatives are NFL owners.

Very few of them said stupid things about race during NFL broadcasts. I'd like to hear about the others.

spursncowboys
10-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Many conservatives are NFL owners.

Very few of them said stupid things about race during NFL broadcasts. I'd like to hear about the others.
Al Davis said he didn't like black people.
Rushbo said the media was being racist.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Al Davis said he didn't like black people.Link? Did he do it on an NFL broadcast?

Rushbo said the media was being racist.He said stupid shit about race on an NFL broadcast.

SouthernFried
10-17-2009, 08:26 PM
He said stupid shit about race on an NFL broadcast.

Nothing Rush said was stupid.

But, what you just said was.

spursncowboys
10-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Link? Did he do it on an NFL broadcast?
He said stupid shit about race on an NFL broadcast.
Exactly. That is all you libs got is that he said the word black. about the link everytime you ask for a link I go to google and there it is. For instance I googled "Al Davis said he hates black peopel(yeah I spelled people wrong and still got hits)" and got a full page of things I can referrence to. That is usually what I mean when I say "you have the same resources as me, get it yourself."

ChumpDumper
10-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Nothing Rush said was stupid.

But, what you just said was.What Rush said cost him a six or seven figure job and a chance to own an NFL team.

Why was what I said stupid?

Exactly. That is all you libs got is that he said the word black. about the link everytime you ask for a link I go to google and there it is. For instance I googled "Al Davis said he hates black peopel(yeah I spelled people wrong and still got hits)" and got a full page of things I can referrence to. That is usually what I mean when I say "you have the same resources as me, get it yourself."Actually I got that he said stupid shit during an NFL broadcast.

Why don't you give me your best link? If you are afrarid to, let me know.

spursncowboys
10-17-2009, 08:45 PM
What Rush said cost him a six or seven figure job and a chance to own an NFL team.

Why was what I said stupid?

Actually I got that he said stupid shit during an NFL broadcast.

Why don't you give me your best link? If you are afrarid to, let me know. I think it was more what people thought Rush said costed him. Remember before the fake quotes, the NFL had said it was alright for Rush to be a minority owner.

PixelPusher
10-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Al Davis is the reason the NFL is so picky about who joins the club to begin with.

spursncowboys
10-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Al Davis is the reason the NFL is so picky about who joins the club to begin with.
R. Limbaugh never said anything like that though. He has never said anything actually racist.

PixelPusher
10-17-2009, 08:51 PM
R. Limbaugh never said anything like that though. He has never said anything actually racist.

Rush Limbaugh wasn't fortunate enough to already own an AFL franchise when the NFL and AFL merged in the 70's either.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I think it was more what people thought Rush said costed him. Remember before the fake quotes, the NFL had said it was alright for Rush to be a minority owner.Nah, I think the players' reaction, warranted or not, had the most to do with it.

hater
10-17-2009, 09:26 PM
when will this guy stop bitching and moaning? what a pussy

clambake
10-17-2009, 09:27 PM
I think it was more what people thought Rush said costed him.
he shouldn't have hated in public.

Remember before the fake quotes, the NFL had said it was alright for Rush to be a minority owner.
too bad it wasn't fake.

spursncowboys
10-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Nah, I think the players' reaction, warranted or not, had the most to do with it.
What players? How many of them? The union leader is an Obama guy.

clambake
10-17-2009, 09:41 PM
What players?
all the ones that complained.

How many of them?
enough of them. it worked. you mad?

The union leader is an Obama guy.
so is the world. you mad?

LnGrrrR
10-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeesh. I'd expect the same furor if Sharpton wanted to own a team. The above might as well say, "No fair, I don't get to own an NFL team! They're picking on me! WAHHHHH!!"

spursncowboys
10-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeesh. I'd expect the same furor if Sharpton wanted to own a team. The above might as well say, "No fair, I don't get to own an NFL team! They're picking on me! WAHHHHH!!"

Shortly thereafter, the media elicited comments from the likes of Al Sharpton. In 1998 Mr. Sharpton was found guilty of defamation and ordered to pay $65,000 for falsely accusing a New York prosecutor of rape in the 1987 Tawana Brawley case. He also played a leading role in the 1991 Crown Heights riot (he called neighborhood Jews "diamond merchants") and 1995 Freddie's Fashion Mart riot.

LnGrrrR
10-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Shortly thereafter, the media elicited comments from the likes of Al Sharpton. In 1998 Mr. Sharpton was found guilty of defamation and ordered to pay $65,000 for falsely accusing a New York prosecutor of rape in the 1987 Tawana Brawley case. He also played a leading role in the 1991 Crown Heights riot (he called neighborhood Jews "diamond merchants") and 1995 Freddie's Fashion Mart riot.

Exactly why I would expect there to be a furor if he tried to jump in as an owner of an NFL team.

clambake
10-17-2009, 10:21 PM
i hope sharpton isn't an owner.

that would be like limbaugh being an owner.

exstatic
10-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I think it was more what people thought Rush said costed him. Remember before the fake quotes, the NFL had said it was alright for Rush to be a minority owner.

Actually, here's what the NFL commissioner had to say:

"We're all held to a high standard here and divisive comments are not what the NFL's all about," said Goodell. "I would not want to see those kind of comments from people who are in a responsible position in the NFL, no. Absolutely not."

clambake
10-17-2009, 10:23 PM
i think goodell is a traitor to the white man.

exstatic
10-17-2009, 10:27 PM
I think it's funny that Limbaugh is still trying to pin this on Liberals. He was dumped from the ownership group by his "friend" Dave Checketts.

Kermit
10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
got to give it to rush, he's a hell of an entertainer and can get under the skin of many. dude's going to milk this for all it's worth. hell, he might make more money off this than he would actually owning the damn team.

Dre_7
10-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Now I am curious. Did Al Davis say something that? I didnt find it on google. All I got was links to stories that claimed Tim Brown said that Al Davis said he didnt like black people.

Kermit
10-17-2009, 10:41 PM
black people have made al a rich, rich man. but the m.f. is crazy so he probably did let it slip. he only hates the blacks from notre dame though. everyone else is cool.

jman3000
10-17-2009, 11:51 PM
I don't think Rush is racist at all. I honestly just think he knows who butters his bread... and if I know anything, it's that the one thing an old white dude likes to hear more than "You're not a racist", is "others are racist towards you".

He doesn't normally play the victim card, although this is an exception. However, he does play the victim card quite often on behalf of his listeners.

iggypop123
10-18-2009, 12:47 AM
that logo looks familiar
http://www.poptower.com/images/db/1549/450/500/rob-and-big.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Now I am curious. Did Al Davis say something that? I didnt find it on google. All I got was links to stories that claimed Tim Brown said that Al Davis said he didnt like black people.Yeah, it's time to produce a link.

antimvp
10-18-2009, 06:20 AM
rush has apparently never heard of the phrase "you reap what you sow"

antimvp
10-18-2009, 06:22 AM
he said he wanted Obama to fail.........that in itself is gonna get people pissed off enough to not want you around........so rush is just in denial if he thinks all the shit he has said in the past is so easily forgotten.

DarrinS
10-18-2009, 07:45 AM
RL: "McNabb is overrated ... what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well—black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well."

^When Rush said this, he esentially called out the mainstream sports media. At the time he said it, there was definitely some truth to it. To say it today would be idiotic -- McNabb is a very good QB.

Other than this, all the pressure against RL owning an NFL team was purely political. I can't believe how many people can't see this for what it is.

DarrinS
10-18-2009, 07:46 AM
he said he wanted Obama to fail.........that in itself is gonna get people pissed off enough to not want you around........so rush is just in denial if he thinks all the shit he has said in the past is so easily forgotten.

So fucking what?

exstatic
10-18-2009, 09:51 AM
So fucking what?

So, that kind of shit makes you enemies. I can't believe how many people can't see this for what it is.

Vici
10-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Rushbo said the media was being racist.

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you? Al Davis Hired the first Latino Coach, Art Shell, Black Qb taken in the first round. Rush said one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL was in fact not very good and was overrated because the media wants a black QB to be successful.

Winehole23
10-18-2009, 11:21 AM
RL: "McNabb is overrated ... what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well—black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well."

^When Rush said this, he esentially called out the mainstream sports media. At the time he said it, there was definitely some truth to it. To say it today would be idiotic -- McNabb is a very good QB.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=1753

At the time Rush said it, McNabb was a four year NFL starter, had taken his team to the NFC Championship once and statwise was a very proven commodity at QB. Characterizing McNabb's success as being the result of politically correct social promotion was idiotic at the time and Rush deserved the flames.

Other than this, all the pressure against RL owning an NFL team was purely political. I can't believe how many people can't see this for what it is.What you say can have consequences. Leaving the fabricated quotes completely aside, Rush already paid out enough rope for his critics to hang him.

Rush characterizing the blowback from his asinine comments about McNabb as "intimidation tactics", is about the puniest thing I've ever heard. Too bad Rush still won't take responsibility for his own controversial comments, but instead reaches for the victim slippers.

George Gervin's Afro
10-18-2009, 11:28 AM
lush has managed to insult every demographic during 20 + yrs on the radio..of course with the exception of rich white guys. hush has made a living on insulting people so now he gets what he deserves... I am extremely happy this happened to him..:toast

FromWayDowntown
10-18-2009, 11:35 AM
^When Rush said this, he esentially called out the mainstream sports media. At the time he said it, there was definitely some truth to it. To say it today would be idiotic -- McNabb is a very good QB.

To say it then was idiotic. Limbaugh said that after the Eagles had a week 3 bye in 2003. In 2001 and 2002, McNabb was 7th in the league in passer rating, playing for a team whose best receivers were James Thrash, Duce Staley, and Todd Pinkston. He was named to the Pro Bowl -- not a media vote -- in each of those seasons. His team was in the top 10 in the league in points. In 2002, his offense was 4th in points and his team lapped the field in point differential. His team won 3 playoff games during those seasons and in those games, his team averaged 24 points per game and he averaged 223 passing yards per game, which was almost 72% of his team's offensive output.

If McNabb was overrated then, it was that he was overrated in any objective sense, it was because he wasn't at the statistical level of Dan Marino or John Elway; it wasn't because his value to his team had been overstated. That he was not yet an immortal, not that he wasn't a legitimate star.

With that said, there was absolutely no reason -- NONE -- to distinguish between white and black quarterbacks in that situation. The idea that blacks are somehow disadvantaged and struggle to play QB was a pretty quaint notion by 2003, given that black QBs had played in several Super Bowls, lead teams to numerous conference title games, and had made countless Pro Bowls. To somehow try to reinvigorate the "Black guys can't play QB and need media preference to suggest that to be untrue" argument, as Rush's statement seemed intended to do, was needlessly racial -- not racist, but racial.

EVAY
10-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Rush Limbaugh is a hate monger. It is how he makes his living.

It is factual to say the following of him: Limbaugh...

failed to complete college (dropped out),
failed to save his marriage (s),
failed to gut out his pain after back surgery, becoming an addict to oxycodone (or oxycontin, I'm never sure which one)
failed to have the guts to buy his drugs illegally himself ( having his female
'help' buy his drugs for him)
failed to accept responsibility for the fact that his divisive, hateful radio commentary, which has made him fabulously wealthy, also makes him too controversial for a group of conservative billionaires who care what people think about their business product.

Limbaugh complaining that others besides himself are responsible for his woes is totally in keeping with his psychosis.

The fact that he is so popular with a segment of the American population is a sad testament to the willingness of folks to listen to the rantings of this pyschotic because they love to hear him voice hate. It is scary as hell to me. He has a right to say the things he does. His fans have a right to listen to him. The NFL owners have a right to say they don't want him in their club.

spursncowboys
10-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Rush Limbaugh is a hate monger. It is how he makes his living.

It is factual to say the following of him: Limbaugh...

failed to complete college (dropped out),
failed to save his marriage (s),
failed to gut out his pain after back surgery, becoming an addict to oxycodone (or oxycontin, I'm never sure which one)
failed to have the guts to buy his drugs illegally himself ( having his female
'help' buy his drugs for him)
failed to accept responsibility for the fact that his divisive, hateful radio commentary, which has made him fabulously wealthy, also makes him too controversial for a group of conservative billionaires who care what people think about their business product.

Limbaugh complaining that others besides himself are responsible for his woes is totally in keeping with his psychosis.

The fact that he is so popular with a segment of the American population is a sad testament to the willingness of folks to listen to the rantings of this pyschotic because they love to hear him voice hate. It is scary as hell to me. He has a right to say the things he does. His fans have a right to listen to him. The NFL owners have a right to say they don't want him in their club.
The NFL owners didn't vote. They didn't have a say.
What is a hate mongerer? What has rush specifically said to be a hate monger?

SouthernFried
10-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Rush has not said, or did anything wrong.

He is anti-socialism and anti-political correctness...and that is enough for idiots to hate him.

The hate mongering is owned by the left here and couldn't be more on display than it is now.

And yes...you will reap what you sow.

SIG

ChumpDumper
10-18-2009, 02:01 PM
And yes...you will reap what you sow.Rush sure has in this case.

George Gervin's Afro
10-18-2009, 05:09 PM
rush limbaugh mocked a person with parkinsons disease... i wouldn't want that trash in my organizaon

Dre_7
10-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Still trying to find a source saying that Al Davis said he didnt like black people. Cant find it.

Supergirl
10-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah, Rush is another poor, oppressed rich white man.

Have you noticed it when white people and/or Christians feel "oppressed" (which, by definition is impossible since they are the right color and creed of the institutional groups with power) they cry louder and harder than everyone else? STFU Rush. Go cry with Glenn Beck.

exstatic
10-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Still trying to find a source saying that Al Davis said he didnt like black people. Cant find it.

Google "Tim Brown Al Davis" and you might find something. I believe it would be considered hearsay. TB said that Davis said he didn't like black guys from Notre Dame, or some such shit.

Winehole23
10-19-2009, 11:58 PM
which, by definition is impossible since they are the right color and creed of the institutional groups with powerIs there no such thing as class oppression anymore?

LnGrrrR
10-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Is there no such thing as class oppression anymore?

WH, you commie! There's no such thing as classes in America! Anyone who wants to can join any class they like, and you're a filthy pinko if you say otherwise.

spursncowboys
10-20-2009, 07:12 AM
WH, you commie! There's no such thing as classes in America! Anyone who wants to can join any class they like, and you're a filthy pinko if you say otherwise.
Why join their class when you can just take everything from them?

LnGrrrR
10-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Why join their class when you can just take everything from them?

Hm, that's funny. I thought the bailouts took money that will ultimately be paid from the middle and poor classes as well, in order for the rich to keep their bonuses! I must've been mistaken.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Why join their class when you can just take everything from them?Who is having everything taken from them?