PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bynum arrives, Ron Artest still on his way

duncan228
10-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Andrew Bynum arrives, Ron Artest still on his way (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi17-2009oct17,0,5513034.story)
Bynum is averaging 22.3 points in exhibition season games for the Lakers, while Coach Phil Jackson is looking for Artest, the team's biggest off-season acquisition, to step up on offense.
By Mike Bresnahan
LA Times

Andrew Bynum is no longer late to the party, but Ron Artest is still trying to find his way.

The big fiesta doesn't begin for another 10 days for the Lakers, though Bynum and Artest are having different experiences in exhibition play.

Bynum, never known for being first down the court, is trying to stay ahead of the ball, moving with better speed.

So far it has been so good to him, the Lakers' center averaging 22.3 points and shooting 59.5% in three exhibition games, looking more like the pre-injury Bynum than the post-injury Bynum who averaged only 6.3 points on 45.7% shooting in the playoffs.

Artest, on the other hand, is being nudged along by Coach Phil Jackson, who wants to see the team's biggest off-season acquisition take a larger role in the offense.

It was the first thing Jackson mentioned when asked what he wanted accomplished in the last five exhibition games.

"Getting Ron integrated," he said. "He still looks like he's standing around watching the other guys play at times, and he's not getting involved as much as I'd like him to be involved. I think that he's got to find his way in the post and do some things out there that exerts himself and puts pressure on his teammates to hit with the ball in the right spot."

Artest is averaging 8.3 points and shooting only 33.3% in exhibition play. He had seven points on two-for-eight shooting Thursday against the Sacramento Kings.

A scan of the box scores from last season's Western Conference semifinals shows that Artest definitely isn't shy about shooting. He was four for 19 in Game 4, four for 15 in Game 5 and six for 17 in Game 6 for the short-handed Houston Rockets against the Lakers.

"In different situations where it's time for me to be aggressive, it'll happen," Artest said. "As we become better as a team, I'll become better as a player. I'll get it right. It's preseason, too, but I understand Phil. He wants me to start getting it going now.

"I'm getting used to my teammates. I can adjust to any system."

Bynum missed 32 games last season because of a torn knee ligament but has looked fine while rapidly approaching his 22nd birthday.

"Last year after I got hurt, I was kind of behind the ball the whole time. I was struggling to get up and down the court," he said. "That's my new focus this year, trying to be in shape, trying to stay in shape and get up and down the court. It will give me the most opportunities."

By his own admission, Bynum was winded in the NBA Finals against Orlando, having difficulty staying with All-Star center Dwight Howard.

"He was making me tired," Bynum said.

Four months later, he is the one wearing out defenders.

In the first quarter against Sacramento, he made a jump hook, a 13-footer, two alley-oop dunks, a layup and was six for six from the free-throw line.

"He's completing at the basket," Jackson said.

Jackson isn't thrilled with Bynum's defense, however.

"That's an area that he's working at," Jackson said. "I'm much happier with it this year than I've ever been before. Screen-roll [defense] is an area in which it's a work in progress with him."

Etc.

Is Bynum's offense taking away from Artest's scoring opportunities? Jackson doesn't think so. "That might be a possibility, but that still doesn't mean you don't figure in it as a viable part. You don't have to score, but you're a viable part because the defense is playing you and you're creating the spacing just by who you are." . . . Kobe Bryant caught the final few innings of the Dodgers-Phillies playoff game after practice. The Philadelphia native has never been partial to the Phillies and was wearing a blue Dodgers cap. . . . Lamar Odom (bruised shin) might play tonight against Charlotte, but Pau Gasol (strained right hamstring) and Luke Walton (sore back) are less likely to play. Their injuries are not considered serious.

21_Blessings
10-18-2009, 02:23 AM
The NBA is fucked. Dynasty time boys..

tlongII
10-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Oden > Bynum

PGDynasty24
10-18-2009, 02:44 AM
drew looks scary good. he looks quick again and is blocking shots like crazy and has his hops back,i wouldn't be suprised if he emerges as the #2 guy

DMX7
10-18-2009, 03:41 AM
Oden > Bynum

Oden can't even stay on the court without fouling people or getting injured. His knees look as old as his face.

TJastal
10-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Andrew Bynum arrives, Ron Artest still on his way (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi17-2009oct17,0,5513034.story)
Bynum is averaging 22.3 points in exhibition season games for the Lakers, while Coach Phil Jackson is looking for Artest, the team's biggest off-season acquisition, to step up on offense.
By Mike Bresnahan
LA Times

Andrew Bynum is no longer late to the party, but Ron Artest is still trying to find his way.

The big fiesta doesn't begin for another 10 days for the Lakers, though Bynum and Artest are having different experiences in exhibition play.

Bynum, never known for being first down the court, is trying to stay ahead of the ball, moving with better speed.

So far it has been so good to him, the Lakers' center averaging 22.3 points and shooting 59.5% in three exhibition games, looking more like the pre-injury Bynum than the post-injury Bynum who averaged only 6.3 points on 45.7% shooting in the playoffs.

Artest, on the other hand, is being nudged along by Coach Phil Jackson, who wants to see the team's biggest off-season acquisition take a larger role in the offense.

It was the first thing Jackson mentioned when asked what he wanted accomplished in the last five exhibition games.

"Getting Ron integrated," he said. "He still looks like he's standing around watching the other guys play at times, and he's not getting involved as much as I'd like him to be involved. I think that he's got to find his way in the post and do some things out there that exerts himself and puts pressure on his teammates to hit with the ball in the right spot."

Artest is averaging 8.3 points and shooting only 33.3% in exhibition play. He had seven points on two-for-eight shooting Thursday against the Sacramento Kings.

A scan of the box scores from last season's Western Conference semifinals shows that Artest definitely isn't shy about shooting. He was four for 19 in Game 4, four for 15 in Game 5 and six for 17 in Game 6 for the short-handed Houston Rockets against the Lakers.

"In different situations where it's time for me to be aggressive, it'll happen," Artest said. "As we become better as a team, I'll become better as a player. I'll get it right. It's preseason, too, but I understand Phil. He wants me to start getting it going now.

"I'm getting used to my teammates. I can adjust to any system."

Bynum missed 32 games last season because of a torn knee ligament but has looked fine while rapidly approaching his 22nd birthday.

"Last year after I got hurt, I was kind of behind the ball the whole time. I was struggling to get up and down the court," he said. "That's my new focus this year, trying to be in shape, trying to stay in shape and get up and down the court. It will give me the most opportunities."

By his own admission, Bynum was winded in the NBA Finals against Orlando, having difficulty staying with All-Star center Dwight Howard.

"He was making me tired," Bynum said.

Four months later, he is the one wearing out defenders.

In the first quarter against Sacramento, he made a jump hook, a 13-footer, two alley-oop dunks, a layup and was six for six from the free-throw line.

"He's completing at the basket," Jackson said.

Jackson isn't thrilled with Bynum's defense, however.

"That's an area that he's working at," Jackson said. "I'm much happier with it this year than I've ever been before. Screen-roll [defense] is an area in which it's a work in progress with him."

Etc.

Is Bynum's offense taking away from Artest's scoring opportunities? Jackson doesn't think so. "That might be a possibility, but that still doesn't mean you don't figure in it as a viable part. You don't have to score, but you're a viable part because the defense is playing you and you're creating the spacing just by who you are." . . . Kobe Bryant caught the final few innings of the Dodgers-Phillies playoff game after practice. The Philadelphia native has never been partial to the Phillies and was wearing a blue Dodgers cap. . . . Lamar Odom (bruised shin) might play tonight against Charlotte, but Pau Gasol (strained right hamstring) and Luke Walton (sore back) are less likely to play. Their injuries are not considered serious.

Keep prodding and agitating Ron-ron Phil, as a spurs fan I'd like to see Ron psychotic by the start of the season. :D

Riverwalkman
10-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Ron Artest is always on the way...

Allanon
10-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Lakers finally beat the Bobcats yesterday, that's a good start to the Ron-Ron era.

TJastal
10-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Lakers finally beat the Bobcats yesterday, that's a good start to the Ron-Ron era.

Preseason win against a bottom feeder, want a cookie? :p:

Now, shouldn't Ron-ron be havin' a good game for it be a good start?
Ron-ron stunk it up in the starting unit, again. 0-5 on free throws, wtf? 6 personal fouls in 18 minutes?

Sounds like Ron-ron is going apeshit since Phil reamed his ass, err... r...when Phil was "making a simple comment to Ron"

:lol

Muser
10-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Vujacic had better stats than Artest, so did Artest suck or Vujacic play well? Or a combination of both?

Riverwalkman
10-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Artest won't be a trouble though he had sucked in preseason games...he had a rough summer, signing with LA and then attending some sponsor's activities and making Peak sneaker commercial in China.

All Coach Phil needs to do is getting him back in shape and fitting in. When Kobe handles the ball, Ron's weakness of making brainless decisions when handling won't be a problem, which is different from Rockets. When without ball, his stand-still 3 point is good, that's a good thing for LA.

21_Blessings
10-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Vujacic had better stats than Artest, so did Artest suck or Vujacic play well? Or a combination of both?

Both.

But the refs were pretty terrible. Almost a 4 hour game.

Culburn369
10-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Keep prodding and agitating Ron-ron Phil, as a spurs fan I'd like to see Ron psychotic by the start of the season. :D

Understandable with the Mavs whippin' that ass you'd still be a bit raw over it.

tee, hee.

Allanon
10-18-2009, 09:42 AM

Ron-ron stunk it up in the starting unit, again. 0-5 on free throws, wtf? 6 personal fouls in 18 minutes?

Sounds like Ron-ron is going apeshit since Phil reamed his ass, err... r...when Phil was "making a simple comment to Ron" ...

The Bobcats have owned the Lakers for the last 4 years or so...I'll take any wins against the Bobcats as a good sign.

Everybody says Ron is going to ruin chemistry and screw the Lakers...but when he plays within the offense, takes only 5 shots, it's a problem? :lol

The worst WC nightmare is happening, Ron-Ron is playing team ball.

Allanon
10-18-2009, 09:54 AM

The Machine's shot is back.

Riverwalkman
10-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Since he got his own signature sneaker from Peak.:lol

Culburn369
10-18-2009, 09:59 AM

He's commenced the long road back admirably.

***& did ya see Radmo's line? Mother'fer finally stepped up and played well with the Lakers...in the house.

tlongII
10-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Oden can't even stay on the court without fouling people or getting injured. His knees look as old as his face.

You haven't been paying attention, have you?

Allanon
10-18-2009, 10:09 AM
He's commenced the long road back admirably.

***& did ya see Radmo's line? Mother'fer finally stepped up and played well with the Lakers...in the house.

Hahah, he was probably pissed cuz he got boo'ed by the fans :lol

djohn2oo8
10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
The Bobcats have owned the Lakers for the last 4 years or so...I'll take any wins against the Bobcats as a good sign.

Everybody says Ron is going to ruin chemistry and screw the Lakers...but when he plays within the offense, takes only 5 shots, it's a problem? :lol

The worst WC nightmare is happening, Ron-Ron is playing team ball.

True, but team ball and Ron Artest don't belong in the same sentence together....But, anything's possible, except this

Culburn369
10-18-2009, 10:21 AM
True, but team ball and Ron Artest don't belong in the same sentence together....But, anything's possible, except this

He dragged your team kickin' & screamin' within a victory of ousting the eventual NBA Champions. That squirt Wafer quit on ya, but, not Artest.

C'mon, you know, dj: he forsaked ya so yer pissed, yer lit up. Understandable.

TJastal
10-18-2009, 10:25 AM

No sense arguing with this headcase. Let him celebrate his laker preseason meaningless victory where apparently fouling out in 18 minutes, turning the ball over 3 times and missing all 5 of your free throw attempts is going to be the type of game that instills fear in every WC opponent.

Allanon
10-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Since he got his own signature sneaker from Peak.:lol

I didn't know he had a shoe...:lol

http://www.kenlu.net/forum/KLM/cover/upload/resize_44411.jpg

Ron Artest also wears/endorses PEAK even though he doesn't have his own shoe....yet. I'm betting he'll get his own Peak shoe.

http://solecollector.com/shoes/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/peakronron2.jpg

I don't know what shoe this is but I thought it was pretty cool:

http://kicksguide.com/images/upload/holler_march_madness.jpg

Riverwalkman
10-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Ron Artest also wears/endorses PEAK even though he doesn't have his own shoe....yet. I'm betting he'll get his own Peak shoe.
http://solecollector.com/shoes/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/peakronron2.jpg

That is his own Peak shoe, namely PEAK Artest I, he wore that last season.

DPG21920
10-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Sasha is shooting the ball very well right now. He could really help the Lakers bench if it continues.

carrao45
10-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Sounds like Ron-ron is going apeshit since Phil reamed his ass, err... r...when Phil was "making a simple comment to Ron"

:lol

I dont think you understood the joke. It's a bit of a joke that the Lakers have been unable to beat the bobcats since they joined the league

Allanon
10-18-2009, 11:10 AM
No sense arguing with this headcase. Let him celebrate his laker preseason meaningless victory where apparently fouling out in 18 minutes, turning the ball over 3 times and missing all 5 of your free throw attempts is going to be the type of game that instills fear in every WC opponent.

Djohn has a point which differs from mine but you are obviously just a clueless dumbass.

ginobili's bald spot
10-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Dumbasses are only exhibited, auctioned and dealt on forums. obviously you and Djohn are two remarkable ones among all grocers under this item, that's why you guys are both frequently quoted and curbstomped the shit out of. congrats, at least you guys deserve us paying a little bit attention to. I mean we generally give no shit about other imported dumbasses who are dumber.

Hi rogue. We all know it's you. You broken English speaking motherfucker.

Allanon
10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm not being any kind of offensive to LA fans/civilians but you fools have to face straightly how dumb you are in general, I mean in general you guys suck asses even though there rarely are someones exempt like House etc... Anyway House speaks decent English, which you should have known since you're so sensitive to languages.

lol Rogue. :lol

Spursmania
10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Bynum certainly looked really fantastic the last couple of games. Wow-if he stays healthy and continues to improve the Lakers are going to be even tougher to beat. But, if any team can do it, I think it will be our Spurs.:stirpot:

Allanon
10-19-2009, 12:37 PM
But, if any team can do it, I think it will be our Spurs.:stirpot:

I do agree with this.

djohn2oo8
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
lol @ Rogue having like four different screenames

Morg1411
10-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I dont think you understood the joke. It's a bit of a joke that the Lakers have been unable to beat the bobcats since they joined the league

I thought they'd beat the Bobcats in Preseason last year, as well.

Good game overall. Farmar really saved L.A.'s bacon with that late game steal.

duncan228
10-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Andrew Bynum Will Break Out In ‘09-10 (http://dimemag.com/2009/10/andrew-bynum-will-break-out-in-09-10/)
By Gerald Narciso

When Andrew Bynum told the media last month that he could be an All-Star (http://dimemag.com/2009/07/andrew-bynum-will-start-in-the-2010-all-star-game/) this season, it’s fair to say that not a lot of people probably took him seriously. But so far in the preseason, the fifth-year center is backing up his words by averaging 20.4 ppg, 7.4 rpg and 1.2 bpg in the Lakers’ first five contests. If the preseason is any indication of things to come, than the rest of the league should be very worried.

Bynum came into camp in terrific shape. Earlier this month, Bynum told Dime about his intense track workouts over the summer (http://dimemag.com/2009/10/andrew-bynum-talks-about-lakers-repeating-his-all-star-quest-and-the-paparazzi/) and how hard he worked to get his strength and quickness back after a knee injury slowed him down in ’08-09. It looks like his offseason routine has paid off as all of his stats from his points to his free-throw percentage have gone up. His minutes per game have also increased in the preseason, yet his fouls and turnovers are down.

“Last year after I got hurt, I was kind of behind the ball the whole time. I was struggling to get up and down the court,” Bynum told the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi17-2009oct17,0,5513034.story). “That’s my new focus this year, trying to be in shape, trying to stay in shape and get up and down the court. It will give me the most opportunities.”

Besides conditioning, Bynum’s offensive game has also been thrown into question but he has shown signs of improvement on that end as well. He has been running the floor, hitting short jumpers and has displayed a variety of different post moves. It has also been reported that he has spent less time working on his inside game with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar before games and after practices, which indicates he has been improving.

Bynum has definitely made a good impression on coach Phil Jackson, who has been critical of the center in the past. But Jackson has also told reporters that Bynum is still behind defensively.

“That’s an area that he’s working at,” Jackson said. “I’m much happier with it this year than I’ve ever been before. Screen-roll [defense] is an area in which it’s a work in progress with him.”

Now that Shaq is no longer in the conference and Yao’s hurt, there is room for Bynum to be an All-Star. But more than that individual accolade, Bynum’s progress means a lot to the team. If Bynum continues to take more of the offensive load for the Lakers, then it will lessen the scoring burden for Kobe (http://dimemag.com/2009/10/stephen-jackson-im-not-a-fan-of-kobe/) and Pau and help save them for the playoffs. His improvement will also create open shots for guys like Derek Fisher, Sasha Vujacic and Shannon Brown. But overall, it will make the Lakers that much more dominant. Not just now, but perhaps in the post-Kobe era. Remember, the kid is still just 21 years old.

Allanon
10-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Bynum is Back.

Check out the spin move at 1:50, you don't do that move with a gimp knee. Hell, is there any 7'1 dude in the NBA that can make that spin? He juked both Monta Ellis and Captain Jack :lol

http://lakersmedia.com/Flash/warriors-at-lakers-1020-hd-highlights.html

cobbler
10-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Bynum is Back.

Check out the spin move at 1:50, you don't do that move with a gimp knee. Hell, is there any 7'1 dude in the NBA that can make that spin? He juked both Monta Ellis and Captain Jack :lol

http://lakersmedia.com/Flash/warriors-at-lakers-1020-hd-highlights.html

Que all the "overrated" posters....

.... oh wait, I think they are out preparing their crow.

21_Blessings
10-21-2009, 05:05 AM
The league is going to shit their pants when Bynum is starting in the All-Star game.

Then an extremely rested Pau just goes nuts in the playoffs.

Dynasties are great. I wish Spurs fan could experience this feeling. Alas, it won't be happening for you guys the next couple generations.