PDA

View Full Version : Will the Spurs play in Monterrey?

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 10:26 AM
By Jesús Carvajal

elnorte.com
Monterrey, México (October 18, 2009)

Monterrey could have a regular season game in 2010.

Emilio Collins, Senior VP of development said that sooner or later he expects the Dallas Mavericks or the San Antonio Spurs to play in Monterrey, either it's a regular season game or a preseason game.

"We hope we could have the Spurs, but we also have to stick to the rotation process"

Could it be next year?
"Absolutely in a near future"

This was said because of the recent expansion the NBA has had in Monterrey, Mexico.

In 2004 the SA Silver Stars played here, in 2006 the Denver Nuggets played the Warriors and today the Suns are playing the Sixers in the Arena Monterrey.

CGD
10-18-2009, 10:36 AM
This would be great! Expand the brand.

Samr
10-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Do the announcers in Monterrey shout "GGGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!" whenever someone scores?

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Do the announcers in Monterrey shout "GGGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!" whenever someone scores?

haha probably,
the basketball fanbase here is very "select"

NRHector
10-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Did people in monterrey show any interest in basketball when the games were played?

Riverwalkman
10-18-2009, 10:55 AM
And probably they could not understand what is " goal tending ".:lol

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Did people in monterrey show any interest in basketball when the games were played?

In 2004, the Detroit Shock played the S.A. Silver Stars, i could not attend the game, but the Arena was probably 75% full,

In 2006, the NBA was so dumb to put the preseason game between the Denver Nuggets (were Eduardo Najera, the only mexican, used to play) and the Golden State Warriors at the same time the soccer derby was played (the soccer derby here is the biggest sport event of the year, the stadiums are over-crowded as well as every restaurant/bar and everyone talks about that game for all year), so the arena was 75% full again, it was not the response i expected.

It was reported last week that there were only 20% of the tickets were left to watch the Sixers and the Suns, but I expect the Arena to be
packed, the Suns have a lot of fans here.

And in case you dont know, the Arena Monterrey was built in 2003, and its a world-class arena, we have concerts everyday from major bands and sporting events, the Arena Monterrey was modeled on the interior after the At&t Center, and the Big Screen is the same one the AT&T center has, i'll give you pics later.

NRHector
10-18-2009, 11:01 AM
haha probably,
the basketball fanbase here is very "select"in other words they only watch soccer? or by "select" you mean only rich people?

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 11:06 AM
in other words they only watch soccer? or by "select" you mean only rich people?

I mean that there are not many "fanboys" but people that actualy like basketball are very loyal to the game, you could easily fill an Arena of 20,000, we'll see that today,

also another thing, i had a chance to go to the practice the Suns had in Monterrey, and I asked coach Alvin Gentry about how he felt about being here, and he told me that the NBA is evaluating the possibility of having an NBA franchise here in some 6 or 7 years.

NRHector
10-18-2009, 11:07 AM
In 2004, the Detroit Shock played the S.A. Silver Stars, i could not attend the game, but the Arena was probably 75% full,

In 2006, the NBA was so dumb to put the preseason game between the Denver Nuggets (were Eduardo Najera, the only mexican, used to play) and the Golden State Warriors at the same time the soccer derby was played (the soccer derby here is the biggest sport event of the year, the stadiums are over-crowded as well as every restaurant/bar and everyone talks about that game for all year), so the arena was 75% full again, it was not the response i expected.

It was reported last week that there were only 20% of the tickets were left to watch the Sixers and the Suns, but I expect the Arena to be
packed, the Suns have a lot of fans here.

And in case you dont know, the Arena Monterrey was built in 2003, and its a world-class arena, we have concerts everyday from major bands and sporting events, the Arena Monterrey was modeled on the interior after the At&t Center, and the Big Screen is the same one the AT&T center has, i'll give you pics later.honestly, I'd love to go to see the Spurs play in Monterrey is not that far from SA, only a 3 hour drive. But that is a good question why they haven't play in Monterrey since alot of the tourist here in SA come from Monterrey

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
honestly, I'd love to go to see the Spurs play in Monterrey is not that far from SA, only a 3 hour drive. But that is a good question why they haven't play in Monterrey since alot of the tourist here in SA come from Monterrey

Thats right, many people go to make shopping to San Antonio and San Marcos, we love the riverwalk, the rivermall,etc.

And i never miss a chance to go to 3 or 4 Spurs games per season

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Some pics of the Arena Monterrey

This is from the WNBA game in 2004
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp134/mexpurs21/arenamty.jpg

This is the layout they use for Indoor Soccer, a team from Mty plays in the NISL (National Indoor Soccer League)
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp134/mexpurs21/arenamtyindoorsoccer.jpg

PDXSpursFan
10-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes, but most like a pre-season game

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes, but most like a pre-season game

That's right, but I think it will mostly depend on todays attendance

NRHector
10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
The Raptors should move to Monterrey, "The Monterrey Raptors".

CGD
10-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Stadium does look world class.

Mexspur21, where in Monterrey in the stadium?

Ginobilly
10-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Monterrey is badass! Good food, weather, most beautiful women in Mexico! Basically San Antonio 2.0.

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Stadium does look world class.

Mexspur21, where in Monterrey in the stadium?

Th Arena Monterrey is in downtown, there is a Holiday Inn and the convention center within walking distance.

About todays game, i was lucky enough to get a press credential, so I could catch every single second of the game, I was in the 1st press row and its a whole different experience being so close to the action and being able to hear what's said on the court, players cussing, arguing with the refs, etc.

The attendance wasn't great, however only some 13,000 seats (from 20,000) were available at sale (the nosebleed section was not open due to logistics) I could say some 11 or 12,000 people attended the game, you could check the game report at eurobasket mexico

I'll put you pics from todays game between the 76ers and the suns later, by the way, the Sixers won (and beat the **** out of the suns).

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Monterrey is badass! Good food, weather, most beautiful women in Mexico! Basically San Antonio 2.0.

I think the same thing, Monterrey is problably the same as S.A. was 15 years ago or something like that.

Like 2 years ago a Riverwalk was made (named Paseo Santa Lucia), and people always compare it to S.A.'s Riverwalk, the Arena Monterrey is modeled in the interior after the at&t center,

So its an honor to be compared with such a wonderful city like San Antonio (Monterrey and San Antonio are sister cities).

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Pics from tonights game:

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp134/mexpurs21/nbamex2009.jpg

Matches Malone
10-18-2009, 10:13 PM
honestly, I'd love to go to see the Spurs play in Monterrey is not that far from SA, only a 3 hour drive. But that is a good question why they haven't play in Monterrey since alot of the tourist here in SA come from Monterrey

Make it 7-8 hours. You have 3 hrs to Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras, another 2,5 hours to Monclova on route 2010, and another 2 hrs to Monterrey.

mexpurs21
10-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Make it 7-8 hours. You have 3 hrs to Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras, another 2,5 hours to Monclova on route 2010, and another 2 hrs to Monterrey.

You dont have to take that route, you should take interstate 35 from San Antonio to Laredo, then from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, depending on how full the border is, you shouldn't take more than 5 or 5.5 hours.

NRHector
10-18-2009, 11:42 PM
You dont have to take that route, you should take interstate 35 from San Antonio to Laredo, then from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, depending on how full the border is, you shouldn't take more than 5 or 5.5 hours.yeap that's the fastest route