PDA

View Full Version : TV audio/vid question

CosmicCowboy
10-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I've got a rear projection that I think is 1080i Sony hi-def thats 5 or 6 years old that I bought on CraigsList cheap.

It has one "Hi-def" jack on the back that is called a DVI-HDMI jack...It looks like an old screw mounted serial jack and it has 3 rows of 8 pins on the feft side and 3 different pins on the right side that make a "T" laying on it's left side. The length of the jack on it's longer side is about 7/8".

I want to hook the TV up to a Dish Network receiver with a "new" HDMI jack, a new DVD player that says it's 1080p if hooked up with a "new" HDMI jack and a Wii and try to get hi-def on at least the TV.

The TV also has a couple of vid connections with 4 pin S-vid hookups.

Can I do this? Whats my "best" way to do this?

The TV is currently hooked up to the cable box with Red/white audio RCA cables and red/green/blue video cables. I want to add the other stuff. The cable box also has 1 S video outlet.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me...

PM5K
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM
The connection is a DVI connection, you'd need some type of HDMI to DVI cable or adapter.

The Red/Green/Blue cables you're currently hooking it up with ARE Hi-Def.

xellos88330
10-18-2009, 11:17 PM
The connection is a DVI connection, you'd need some type of HDMI to DVI cable or adapter.

The Red/Green/Blue cables you're currently hooking it up with ARE Hi-Def.

This is right on.

CosmicCowboy
10-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Am I better off using S-video cables for the video + red/white for the Audio instead of the R/G/B cables? Is the difference really significant?

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Am I better off using S-video cables for the video + red/white for the Audio instead of the R/G/B cables? Is the difference really significant?

hdmi > 3 wire bs

CosmicCowboy
10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
hdmi > 3 wire bs

The tv doesn't have an hdmi connection.

The question was if s-video was better than r/g/b cables

Slomo
10-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Signals in order of quality:

HDMI (DVI) > RGB (red, green, blue jacks) > S-Video (small round jack with 4 pins) > composite (usually a single yellow jack).

Except for HDMI all the other only conduct video, so you need a separate cable for the audio.

TDMVPDPOY
10-19-2009, 10:10 AM
the hdmi=dvi converter plug is still better reception than the 3 color bs r/g/b....

Slomo
10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Hdmi to DVI is not a converter since the same signal goes through. It's just a wiring adapter (takes the signals from the HDMI connector and reroutes them to the correct pins on the DVI connector). So if you look at my list above hdmi (DVI) > RGB.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah. Buy a new dvi to hdmi cable. Adapters only degrade your signal. You have the money. Also buy an optical cable for your audio.

ChumpDumper
10-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Am I better off using S-video cables for the video + red/white for the Audio instead of the R/G/B cables? Is the difference really significant?The R/G/B is much better than S-video and probably won't be significantly worse than the digital connection.

I would use the DVI/HDMI + optical sound for whatever you view most (satellite, I'm guessing?) and use the RGB + audio cables for the other stuff.

PM5K
10-21-2009, 06:11 PM
The only way you'll get HD is with the DVI or the RGB, so whatever you want to watch in HD needs to be connected to those two.