PDA

View Full Version : I have a question regarding league pass broadband

Darthkiller
10-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I live in ann arbor michigan. say if i sign up for leaguepass broadband using a fake address say somewhere in montana where there is no nba team. i wont get my pistons game blacked out right?

I dont have a tv in my dorm , so if league pass blackout pistons games then i am not gonna purchase it.

coyotes_geek
10-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I doubt the fake address would trick them. They probably know exactly where your box is by where you plugged it in.

DPG21920
10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
No, it will use your IP address to determine where you are. If you are in Detroit, the games will be blacked out.

Milo
10-18-2009, 09:47 PM
You can try an anonymous proxy, like UltraSurf, and see if you can escape the black out

DPG21920
10-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I am sure there are ways, but I don't know them. Just in general though, typing in a fake address would not be sufficient.

Darthkiller
10-18-2009, 10:16 PM
if they only check ip , then i can just use a proxy server to avoid pistons blackout right.

ElNono
10-18-2009, 10:58 PM
The problem with using a fake address, is that the address you enter is used as the billing address for your credit card transaction. Some card companies might not be OK with that at all, but YMMV.

Also, they do use a geolocation based on IP address service to determine your blackout area, so a fake address won't do much for you.

However, merely a web proxy might not necessarily work.
You might need to proxy out your entire net connection, not just the web part.
I don't know about this year, but last year they used Octoshape (http://www.octoshape.com/) (as a flash plugin) that enabled them to p2p the connection to load balance it better. Octoshape uses it's own separate process along with a handful of connections.

Their blackout schema had it's troubles last season. I was in NJ and it prevented me from watching a couple of Indiana games (????).
I did report the issue to them, and they followed up on it.

I also used a tethered cell phone with my Macbook (using Proxifier) to watch 3 or 4 Spurs games while I was in south texas, and it worked just fine. So again, they might be permissive sometimes and not permissive other times. I think it really depends on the quality of the service they use to match ip to location.