PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' practices getting longer

duncan228
10-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Spurs' practices getting longer (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_practices_getting_longer.html)
Mike Monroe

After giving his players a day off from the practice court, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich put them through a session on Sunday that lasted slightly more than two hours, part of a planned expansion of activity designed to have his players in peak condition by opening night.

By unofficial observation, the Spurs have had three practices of two hours or more in the past six days.

“For us, training camp practices get harder as we go,” Popovich said. “We don't start out hard in the beginning. We try to wind it up as we get close to the beginning of the season. It's a good way to try to stay away from injury and let people get back in the swing of things, and not be Mr. Macho in the very beginning.”

For newcomer Richard Jefferson, playing for his third team in as many years, it seemed like a smart approach for a veteran team.

“He told us that's what it was going to be, that he was going to build up,” Jefferson said. “We had a little idea of what he was trying to accomplish. You come in here, and you know every day is going to get more and more intense. Just like when the season starts, every day, every game is going to get more and more intense.”

Like most NBA coaches, Popovich understands that practice opportunities diminish during the grind of the regular season. He relishes the opportunity to get in good practices, spaced around days off, during the preseason.

Crabby: The NBA last week announced a clarification to its official rule about traveling.

For years, the league's referees have allowed players to take two steps after catching passes on the move, and before jump stops, even though the official rule book specified that players could take only one step.

The interpretation of the rule came into play last season when Cavaliers star LeBron James complained he had been called for a travel when he had taken what he called a “crab dribble” — catching on the fly and taking two steps before putting the ball down on the court.

Now, the league has changed the written rule to allow players on the move “to gather the ball, after driving or catching it, and then take two steps.”

“I was doing that move a lot my first couple of years in the league,” Spurs guard Tony Parker said. “Then they put that rule, so I try not to do it any more. It's a question of habit to not do it. If they say it's a travel, it's a travel. Different people will say different stuff.”

completely deck
10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Time to turn up the heat :hungry:

Bender
10-18-2009, 11:02 PM
so the NBA officially rewrites a rule, because it's something LBJ wants to do...

Manufan909
10-18-2009, 11:05 PM
so the NBA officially rewrites a rule, because it's something LBJ wants to do...

Yep.:bang

Riverwalkman
10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
David Stern: Let's make it legal, bitch, for my son.

Blackjack
10-18-2009, 11:34 PM

I've always wondered how .4 would have went down had the Lakers or LeBron been on the other end of it.

Something tells me they wouldn't justify a proven, physically impossible shot to be good, by stating that it takes .2 in reaction time for the refs to start the clock..

As pathetic and infuriating as the rationale was back then, it's actually become comical to me now; you only need .3 showing on the clock to get a shot off, even if in reality it took .5 to execute, because you have to account for a .2 in reaction time to start the clock.

It's really quite brilliant; as a matter of fact, I'm thinking about seeing if I can show up to work 15 min. late in reality, yet still be thought to be at work on time because of the 15 min. reaction time between myself and the alarm clock.

ducks
10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
they need to watch film also

angelbelow
10-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Nice, great to hear. Hopefully everyone is getting in shape and hungry :hungry:

Obstructed_View
10-19-2009, 12:59 AM
I've always wondered how .4 would have went down had the Lakers or LeBron been on the other end of it.

Something tells me they wouldn't justify a proven, physically impossible shot to be good, by stating that it takes .2 in reaction time for the refs to start the clock..

As pathetic and infuriating as the rationale was back then, it's actually become comical to me now; you only need .3 showing on the clock to get a shot off, even if in reality it took .5 to execute, because you have to account for a .2 in reaction time to start the clock.

It's really quite brilliant; as a matter of fact, I'm thinking about seeing if I can show up to work 15 min. late in reality, yet still be thought to be at work on time because of the 15 min. reaction time between myself and the alarm clock.

See my post in the .4 thread. You're wrong on every level.

Manufan909
10-19-2009, 01:17 AM
I thought BLACKJACK had silver and black shades on. But now I have to actually the .4 thread to know wtf is going on.

And prior to reading that thread, I thought it was tested that less than .4 was all the time needed to jack up a shot? Even if that is a fact, I doubt Fisher, even then, was quick enough.

Obstructed_View
10-19-2009, 01:27 AM
In short, Duncan's shot on Shaq went through the basket with .8 to go, so the Lakers should have had that much time. Second, I figured out exactly how many button presses on my PVR were a tenth of a second and timed Fisher's shot in slow motion a dozen times on gamenight from the time he caught the ball to the time he released it and I couldn't make it take 4/10 of a second no matter how hard I tried. I was trying to find a reason to invalidate the Laker victory in some small way and was unable to do it.

DJB
10-19-2009, 02:02 AM

Absolutely. Why shouldn't they? He's the CHOSEN 1.

Blackjack
10-19-2009, 02:29 AM
See my post in the .4 thread. You're wrong on every level.

I disagree. (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3753884#post3753884)

widowmaker
10-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Isnt that the way it usually gose down? Next thing you know Kobe is gonna as for white chics in every room he stays in this year.

dbestpro
10-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Now that Lebron got the rules changed I guess Kobe will be next as NBA players will soon be allowed to kick people in the crotch when you drive.

thOOdee
10-19-2009, 12:28 PM
maybe someone can clarify this with me...i was always thought while playing basketball, that catching the ball on the fly without taking that first dribble only leaves you w one more step to take. Again that is when you don't take that first dribble, which would then give you two steps to take. Now they changed the rule, which i see as fair since there was no official rule on the subject anyway and also just makes the game more exciting and less confusing.

Now with an OFFICIAL RULE, wouldn't this limit lebron even more since his "crab dribble", aka traveling, includes 3 STEPS? Plus he doesn't even do his crab DRIBBLE while catching on the fly since it wouldn't involve a DRIBBLE.
I don't see where 3 step crab dribbling = 2 step catching on the fly.

if i am wrong, can someone please give there interpretation.

in2deep
10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
so if you are moving you can take 3 steps? that's gay

benefactor
10-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I refuse to go to that 0.4 thread or relive the situation in any way. It has become "The Game We Do Not Speak Of" in my house.

Mel_13
10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
I refuse to go to that 0.4 thread or relive the situation in any way. It has become "The Game We Do Not Speak Of" in my house.

Much like stories about the 2004 Champion Boston Red Sox, I regard reports about 0.4 as urban myths.

Sissiborgo
10-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks like were about to get ready!