PDA

View Full Version : Spurs live chat with Mark Stein today!

YODA
10-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Looks like this chat will be today at 130 our time.
Yoda

Let's talk Spurs basketball!

Join Marc Stein and the TrueHoop Network's Spurs blogger on Monday. Oct. 19, at 2:30 p.m. ET, and share your thoughts about San Antonio's upcoming season.
http://espn.go.com/nba/

SpurCharger
10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Will Try My Best To Be There

ElNono
10-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Marc Stein is an idiot... you heard it here first!!!

DaBears
10-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Marc Stein is an idiot... you heard it here first!!!

Really hate to burst your bubble but that might have been mentioned before....Actually many many times

But none the same Diddo to your comment.......

Chieflion
10-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Guys, he ain't an idiot.

DaBears
10-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Mark Stein and Hollinger both are a bunch of clowns...One week there all over your team stating there 1-2 best team in west or NBA next by the end of the week they have put out an article or blog that states them 4-5 in the West... Come these guys are worse than Bandwagon fans.

ElNono
10-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Here's a transcription of the chat:

10:53
Justin Verrier, ESPN.com:
Before we get started, bone up on the 2009-10 Spurs with some SAS preview content from ESPN.com:
Spurs preview page
Video preview: Yam, Legler dissect SAS
Hollinger: Team forecast
Hollinger: Player profiles, PER projections

11:01

11:01
Justin Verrier, ESPN.com: The spotlight is on Tim Duncan this season as he tries to bounce back from an injruy-riddled 2008-09. Does he -- and the veteran Spurs -- have enough left in the tank to make a title push? We'll discuss that and more today at 2:30 p.m. ET with ESPN.com's Marc Stein and Graydon Gordian and Timothy Varner from 48MinutesofHell.com.
2:29
Justin Verrier, ESPN.com: Welcome to our final day or preseason chats. Marc, Graydon and Timothy are all here to kick off the Southwest Division with the San Antonio Spurs. Fire away!
2:30
Marc Stein: I am here, indeed.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Welcome, ladies and gents.
[Comment From Jon]
Do you think regret has set in for all the GM's who passed of Dejuan Blair?
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I like to think the regret set in the moment the Spurs announced their pick.
2:31
[Comment From charles houston]
is antonio mcdyess starting
Marc Stein: Totally understand the question, because Blair's numbers have certainly turned heads. But the reservation teams had was Blair's ability to hold up physically over the long term.
[Comment From Spurs Brazil]
What expect from G.Hill this season? Do you think Pop will trust him to run the team when TP sits?
2:32
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): For a team looking to build over the long-term, Blair could have been a dangerous selection. For a team looking to win now, like the Spurs, I'd argue he is all upside.
Marc Stein: He has to still prove he can do that. Not stunned that Blair slipped. The stunner is that he slipped all the way to the Spurs.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I think McDyess will start. I see no reason why he wouldn't.
2:33
Marc Stein: And he will be finishing a lot, which is the true barometer.
[Comment From Zane]
Are the Spurs the only team in the West that can compete with the Lakers? (if the spurs stay healty) Or should is be the other way around?
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Well, Popovich expects a lot of George Hill.. That much we know. He was a solid reserve last year, and I think it's reasobable to expect him to be a key reserve.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Spurs Brazil,

Pop has begun referring to Hill as his favorite player on the team. Given what we've seen over the course of summer leage and the preseason, I believe Pop has renewed faith in him as a backup.
2:34
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): The West is tough. Don't sleep on the Blazers, Mavericks or Nuggets.
Marc Stein: Spurs are definitely my No. 2 in the West and the closest to the Lakers' zip code. But both LA and SA have vulnerabilities that THEORETICALLY gives teams like Denver and Dallas some hope of sneaking up on them.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Zane, the Lakers still have to be considered the frontrunner. Personally, I think everyone is sleeping on the Mavs a bit.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Well, given that Tim and Marc both mentioned them, maybe people aren't sleeping on the Mavs.
2:35
[Comment From Justin (Austin, TX)]
How does Pop avoid injuries? Is there anything he can do differently from last year? Or is it all just luck?
2:36
Marc Stein: Pop has always been great about keeping his stars' minutes down. Duncan lost 15 pounds to ease the stress on his knees even though no one asked him to. I don't know that the Spurs can do any more. But they are just as concerned about health as you. How do I know. I was there for one day early in camp and about three guys said the goal for the season was "Stay healthy."
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I think he can avoid injuries by limiting Manu and Tim's time on the floor. That is why went out and got Ratliff after picking up McDyess and drafting blair. With our frontcourt depth, we can keepy Timmy's minutes down and hopefully his knees healthy.
How far will the Spurs get this season?
NBA champions
( 66% )
NBA Finals
( 11% )
Conference finals
( 11% )
Conference semis
( 8% )
Playoffs
( 4% )
No playoffs
( 0% )

[Comment From Jerricho]
How big of an impact do you think Richard Jefferson will make this season?
2:37
Marc Stein: Go ahead, 48Minutes lads. Don't wait on me.
2:37
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): A very significant one. He is the most talented Small Forward the Spurs have had during the Tim Duncan era. His ability to get to the rim is something we sorely lacked last season. People didn't realize it, but we had some of the fewest points in the paint of any team last season.
2:38
[Comment From Larry D]
Is Roger Mason the new Robert Horry? He hit some of the biggest clutch shots last season. Unbelievable!
Marc Stein: Someone else asked if the RJ acquisition has been overhyped. Can't find the question now.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): If Mason could only block shots...

Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I think it has been slightly overhyped, but I think the McDyess acquisition has been underhyped, so it all evens out.
2:39
Marc Stein: I don't think he's being overhyped. Spurs have been CRYING OUT for a volume scorer to ease the load on the Big Three in the regular season. They've needed someone like RJ, which is why they were willing to absorb the considerable expense of adding him.
Marc Stein: Back to Mase . . .
[Comment From Rob]
so thoughts on malik hairston will he take over finleys minutes?
2:40
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Not likely. But Hairston is playing as well as could be expected of him. Maybe he can work up to Finley's minutes once Finley's contract expires--next year.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Hopefully Mason will have a more limited role this season, in other words less PG responsibilites. That will allow him to focus on his shot. Playing point really took him out of his rhythm last year.
Marc Stein: You will find no bigger Big Shot Rog fan than me. But he has some making up to do after his first-round showing against Dallas and I think he'd be the first to say so. That's why he also dropped some weight in the offseason. You never thought of Mason or Duncan as heavy. In Mase's case he's trying to get quicker to guard smalls when he needs to.
[Comment From Arthur]
Should Spurs fans get settled in for a rough start to the season? Or has this team gelled enough to spring out of the gate?
2:41
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): There will be some kinks to work out, but Popovich has simplifies the playbok so the new guys get acclimated more quickly.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Arthur, you raise a good point. Several new bodies this season. And player's like Ginobili and Duncan didn't play basketball over the summer. Don't panic if things are bumpy early.
[Comment From Tony]
Do you think the Spurs' defense will return to be at least top three in the league?
2:42
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Yes, the defense will return to form. Or Pop will have a stroke.
Marc Stein: Spurs can't worry about stuff like seeding, getting off to a hot start, etc. All that matters is a healthy Timmy and Manu at the end. The season still rides on that even if RJ and Dice and even Blair are great.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I think it could be in the Top 5. But as things stand, I see the Celts, Magic and Cavs as probably being better defensive units. McDyess will do wonders for our interior D.
[Comment From DeShawn]
Will Manu be the next 6th Man of the Year?
Which team will win the Southwest Division?
Mavericks
( 13% )
Houston
( 2% )
Memphis
( 0% )
New Orleans
( 2% )
Spurs
( 83% )

[Comment From Brandon Walsh ($PUR$)]
How can Tony Parker establish himself as the best Point Guard in the league?
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): If he can play 82 (or close ot that) he could be.
2:43
Marc Stein: Nah. Can't see him playing enough to rack up the stats for that kind of award. Something else they care less than zero about.
Marc Stein: Referring to Manu, not Tony
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Brandon, I'm not sure that Parker can establish himself as the best point. Chris Paul is still in the league, right? But he be a top 3-5 point for several years. That's not bad.
2:44
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Parker won't be able to do that, because he isn't. But if TP can lead another deep playoff run, He'll be unquestionably in the top 3.
[Comment From adamluna]
How do you see the Spurs big man rotation turning out with guys like Haislip and Mahinmi fighting for not only minutes, but also a possible roster spot?
[Comment From Rip Wiley]
Is it too early for a 15th man question?
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): It's never too early for 15th man questions when you are talking to us.
2:45
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Adamluna,

Put up a post about this earlier today. Basically, it's Duncan-McDyess-Blair with Bonner and Ratliff providing situaltional offense or defense.
[Comment From Neil]
Do you see Mahinmi ever becoming a serviceable big man?
[Comment From Gabe]
Do you think the Spurs have the deepest bench in the league?
2:46
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): After this offseason, I've come to believe his ceiling is lower than I originally thought. He still has tremendous athleticism but, geez, is the man fragile.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Gabe, Not sure about the league. Maybe. It's the deepest their bench has been in recent memory, though.
[Comment From Clues]
Would you consider Manu Ginobli a top 5 shooting guard in the NBA if he's healthy?
Marc Stein: Not deeper than Orlando's and I'm sure I can come up with other examples if I give it deeper thought.
2:47
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): It's definitely the best team the Spurs have had since '06. It's a better squad than the '07 team. But the league is a lot better as well.
[Comment From Sameer]
Do you think that Duncan is on the downside of his career?
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Clues, when he's in peak form, Manu is behind only Bryant and Wade.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Sameer, Yes. His knees will only get worse. The hope is they get worse very slowly.
2:48
[Comment From Longhorn Mike]
Who will inherit the defensive stopper role in Bowen's absence?
[Comment From Jordan]
Who is the better player on the Spurs, Duncan or Jefferson?
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Jordan, come on? Really? You need to ask?
Marc Stein: Timmy himself doesn't deny that he's slowing down and nearing the end. TD obviously has more than two years left, as he said during our recent camp visit, but he can see the finish line from here. Yet I still believe that he can be the focal point for a title team, as does TD himself. He just needs more help.
Marc Stein: More help than he used to, that is.
[Comment From Matthew]
You forgot Roy. No way Manu is better.
2:49
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Matthew, All things being equal, I prefer Ginobili. But Roy is right there.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Longhorn Mike, Although people say Jefferson will inherit Bowen's rule, keep your eye on Hairston and Hill. They are the team's true perimeter stoppers.
[Comment From Joe]
Yall thing DuJuan Blair could spend Jan, Feb, March with the Toros if he has fallen out of Pop's favor?
2:50
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Joe, No. R.C. and Pop have both indicated he'll get regular minutes. And besides, have you seen his preseason numbers?
2:50
[Comment From Erick]
Do you see Pop playing a more up tempo style on offense? Or still like to run the offense in a half court set?
2:51
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Pop will always prefer half court sets...however, the team is gradually shifting from Duncan to Parker and the personnel is able to get out with Tony. In theory, the Spurs might push a little more. I'd still expect a healthy dose of 4 down, though.
2:51
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Erick, I think you'll see more diversity in regards to tempo this season. A 5-man unit of Parker, Hill, Jefferson, Haislip, and Mahinmi is a unit that is ready to run.
2:52
[Comment From Curtis Jerrells]
What do you think about Baylor PG Curtis Jerrells?
Marc Stein: Pop says he's going to give Tony more freedom to call plays in halfcourt sets. That would suggest more freedom to push the ball when fast-break opportunities arise, but there is also a feeling that the Spurs have spent too much time worrying about scoring in the recent past. So I'm not expecting a huge different in pace.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Curtis, you don't look to bad. A little turnover prone. And you take some ill-advised shots. How does a gig in Austin sound?
2:53
[Comment From T.T.dot]
How do you see the Spurs fairing against the Lakers in the West finals?
2:53
[Comment From Patrick]
Is Manu gonna stay? Will it be a distraction?
2:54
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Patrick, It won't be a distraction, but so much depends on his wheels and how the team fares this season. It's difficult to say what will happen next summer.
2:54
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I think it would be a very competitive series, T.T.dot. A lot depends on how well Artest gels with the rest of the team. People don't realize it, but we actually match up well with the Lakers. In '08 that series was closer than the 4-1 finish suggested.
2:55
[Comment From El toro]
One issue I see Spurs fan ignoring is their perimeter defense. It's shaky. Spurs weren't able to contain Kobe in 08 and Manu will HAVE to guard him this year during crunch time.
2:55
Marc Stein: I think it IS on Manu's mind to a degree, but if he has a relatively healthy season i see him staying and I see it resolving itself. Spurs still love him. They don't want to bid farewell to No. 20.
2:56
Marc Stein: El Toro . . . did you go to my high school?
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): El toro, Obviously with no Bowen, the perimeter D is going to slip slightly. But with Hill and Hairston's continued maturation, as well as Manu's return to health, I think we will be stout defensively on both the perimeter and the interior.
[Comment From Mike]
If Manu is stays healthy he is a tenacious defender as well as a scorer.
2:57
[Comment From tim]
where are finley's minutes gonna be? i mean with a healthy manu, jefferson, hill, and mason, seems like the small forward / 2 guard spot is getting a little crowded?
Marc Stein: Perimeter defense is NOT something the Spurs ignoring. Hence the signing of Bogans if it turns out that they are more vulnerable there than they anticipated andthey have to find a way to get him into the rotation. But upgrading in other areas was a bigger priority.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Mike, One of the contributing writers at 48MoH is Steve Ilardi, who is a plus minus expert. Curiously, his defensive adjusted plus minus numbers put Ginobili near the top of the league in terms of perimeter defenders.
[Comment From Jay (TEX)]
What is Marc going to do during the Finals when the NBA season overlaps with the World Cup???
2:58
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Tim, In all honesty, Finley will probably see more minutes than he should. Pop loves him and he knows the system so well. He won't start, but he'll see more bench minutes than he probably should. At least until Pop can no longer tolerate what a defensive problem he is.
2:58
Marc Stein: Same thing I do every time there's a major international footy tournament. Watch soccer on TV during the day and cover NBA games at night and give up sleep til August.
2:59
[Comment From Alex]
Closing seconds, Spurs' ball. Who's on the floor ? And who's got the ball ?
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, McDyess
[Comment From Manu]
Should ge trade fro somebody else, who should we trade for?
Marc Stein: I am excusing myself now to head over to the Grizzlies' chat. The TrueHoopers have you covered, though.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Mason replacing McDyess, if we need a three.
3:00
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Can we wait until the new guys have played together first. It seems a little rash to trade them already...
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Thanks Marc.
[Comment From Sunday]
Do you think Hill will provide consistent offense throughout the Season, and will he be the premiere backup for Parker?
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Yes, and he'll get to the line often.
[Comment From SA-City Guy]
Who elee do you think the Spurs should cut?
3:01
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Jerrells next.
[Comment From Bruce Bowen]
Why did they retire me? Yeah, I lost a step, but I'm still a much better defender than Mason!
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): He'll be a solid backup for Parker, but I think Hill's offense will still be a bit rough around the edges at moments. But don't worry, he'll get there.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Bruce, we love you, but it was time to turn the page.
[Comment From rossSATX]
how will the new nba refs affect teams like the spurs, lakers, jazz, mavs?
3:03
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): rossSATX: the games could be very long. The Spurs should get to the line a little more this season, though. Blair, Jefferson and Hill attract their share of fouls. So it's not all bad.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Ross, We can't be sure, but I am very interested to see how they handle Duncan and his complaining. He is not an aggressive complainer a la Artest, but he is persistent. I wonder whether they will be sheepish or overreact.
[Comment From Mike (Bismarck)]
Do the Spurs keep 15 on their roster the whole season?
3:04
[Comment From Sunday]
Where do you see Blair's game in 5 years?
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): I hope so. The advantage to keeping Hairston, if they do, is his D-League eligibility.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I think Blair will be a very solid rotation big in 5 years. He will have a mature back to the basket game and will be a reliable defender. Blair will be known as the second best big from this class in 5 years.
[Comment From Cory Clay]
George Hill over/under 20 minutes per game?
3:05
[Comment From Todd]
Do any of you see Tiago Splitter joining the Spurs next summer?
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Cory, Good question. I think right around 20, although at least 10 of those are coming at off guard while playing alongside Parker.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Yes, I think Splitter will make the trip next year. That's especially the case if Caja struggles.
3:06
[Comment From Chris]
How long until Mahinmi gets hurt again?
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): This is, no joking, one of the most frequently asked questions in this chat. And we have hundreds.
[Comment From spursdude]
who do you see as the biggest threat to the spurs in the southwest hornets or mavs?
3:07
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): The Mavs. We have always matched up better against the Hornets. And now that they no longer have Chandler, things will only get easier for Duncan.
[Comment From Timmy!]
Over/under R. Jeff shooting a .45 clip from 3 this season.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Under.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I'll take the under.
3:08
[Comment From Naveen]
Which Spurs players do you see making the All-Star team this year?
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Although I think his numbers will be slightly better than last season. More open shots because he won't be the focus of the defense.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Naveen, I say Parker and Duncan. Manu barely misses the cut, as always.
3:09
[Comment From Patrick]
Make a prediction for the Spurs record this year and where they finish the postseason...
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Good question, Naveen. Duncan and Parker are locks. Jefferson and Ginobili might be battling themselves for a third Spur on the West's roster.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Patrick, 56+ wins, second in the West.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I like us to win 57 games. As far as the postseason...
3:10
[Comment From Ray, SA]
Do you see Parker taking more three's this year? It's seems like the last missing piece for him to be unstoppable on offense but I don't know if he has a solid enough shot yet.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I say we're headed back to the NBA Finals. (knocks on wood).
[Comment From Jeff]
Do you see the Spurs having a shot at beating the lakers in the post season?
3:11
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Ray, I don't think Parker will be shooting to many 3s. With his Euroleague play, he didn't put in the offseason work to add that element, like he did when he restructured his 18-footer a few years back.
3:11
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): This and Ian Mahinmi. Is that all you can think about. The answer is yes, the Spurs can topple the Lakers, if they stay healthy. But that's why we watch.
3:12
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Jeff, they definitely have a shot. But, like anything, it'll take a little bit of luck. Ask Lakers fans circa 2004 how important luck is.
3:12
[Comment From Mike]
Where do you see Bonner this year? What's his role/minutes and how are they going to be different?
3:13
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Mike, he'll play less than last season, but his role is just as important. As a bench player, he could be crucial to a title run.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Well, he isn't going to be a starter. I think his minutes will be down significantly, but Pop still loves to stretch the floor with one of his bigs and Bonner is the best option if he wants to do that.
[Comment From John]
Who are the spurs going to start at the two spot over Ginobili this year?
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Bonner was not a good starter, but as a 4th or 5th big off the bench, he's very solid.
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Manu might go back to starting. Otherwise it's Mason.
3:14
[Comment From tito]
When do we really get upset about Finley logging 20+ mpg?? 20 games into the season? 30? 82?
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): I think they'll start Mason. I don't think Manu wil start although it's always a possibility given our depth. The 2nd unit will be better prepated to handle itself than in past seasons.
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): tito, eh, for me, it'll be around the 5th game.
3:15
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): Tito, I'm not sure about everyone else but it seems as if you're on the brink of meltdown already.
[Comment From tito]
thanks for being honest
[Comment From ersin, from istanbul]
how do you think Blair's knees can handle the whole season? ( i hope he can!! )
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): I hope so. He's 20.
3:16
[Comment From Jon]
What kind of numbers should we expect from Blair this year?
3:17
Timothy Varner (48MoH/TrueHoop Network): I'm hoping for 7 and 7.
3:17
Graydon Gordian (48 Minutes of Hell/TrueHoop Network): Alright, ladies and gentlemen. Tim and I appreciate that y'all took the time to stop by. This is going to be a great season. Stop by and see us over at 48minutesofhell.com sometime. Cheers.
3:19
Justin Verrier, ESPN.com: Thanks for stopping by. We'll be talking Southwest all day today. And make sure to check out the replays of chats on the other 25 NBA teams this past week on ESPN.com